Zero, alternatively spelled as 0, is one of the overarching antagonists of the Kirby franchise. It is the main antagonist of "Dark Matter Trilogy", serving as the unseen overarching antagonist of Kirby's Dream Land 2, and the main antagonist in Kirby's Dream Land 3 and Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (as its resurrected form 0²).
It is a mysterious being who resides within the Hyper Zone and is the source of Dark Matter. Zero's exact motives are unknown, but it is stated that it desires to spread Dark Matter across the universe in order to turn it into a "Dark World". Though it was defeated in Kirby's Dream Land 3, its kind would continue to serve as recurring foes for Kirby.
Kirby's Dreamland 3
After the defeat of Dark Matter Blade, 0 launched an invasion of Pop Star and possessed multiple regions. Kirby liberated these lands one by one, then encountered the Dark Matter possessed King Dedede. Kirby drove it out of him and back to the Hyper Zone where 0 resided.
After Kirby and Gooey defeated the Dark Matter using the Love-Love Stick, 0 revealed itself and attacked Kirby. In a desperate attempt to kill Kirby, 0's eye detached from its body, becoming a small bloody eyeball. Kirby defeated this, thus destroying 0 and the Hyper Zone.
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
0² serves as the main antagonist and the true final boss in Kirby 64. Like Zero, it remains hidden throughout the majority of the game, until the end when the player has managed to collect all of the crystal shards.
In this game, 0² has an angelic appearance and a bandage on its head (which is likely a reference to it pulling its out at the end of Kirby's Dreamland 3). In order to face the creature, Kirby must collect all 74 crystal shards, otherwise Miracle Matter serves as the final boss. Once Kirby defeats the villain, 0² and the Dark Star explode.
Super Smash Bros.
A remix of 0²'s theme is an unlockable song in Super Smash Bros. Brawl by collecting at least 5,000 coins in coin matches. The remix also appears in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate as default songs.
- Several fans have considered 0 one of the scariest bosses of all time in both of its appearances.
- Oddly enough, a cactus-shaped tail seems to protrude from 0², which is its weak point.
- Some fans have speculated that Dark Mind, the main antagonist of Kirby & the Amazing Mirror, is an alternate-dimension version of 0, although it may actually mirror the Nightmare Wizard from Kirby's Adventure.
- Many later villains in the Kirby series bear resemblance in a way to 0:
- Dark Mind appears as a giant ball with an eye.
- Drawcia Soul appears as a giant ball with a mouth that strangely resembles an eye.
- Dark Nebula is a source of darkness, with the power of possessing others.
- Magolor, when defeated, is completely overtaken by the Master Crown and has a giant eye with a red pupil in his mouth, which almost completely resembles 0.
- Also the fact that Magolor is in charge of a race of monsters.
- Void Termina's Core, Soul, and Void all appear as giant balls. His face can arrange itself to appear as the smile 0² makes.
- Some fans have theorized the Master Crown in Return to Dreamland had a portion of 0's soul within it.
- Because 0 hemorrhaged and bled on screen (and shot blood at Kirby as it attacks, as well bursting out the rest of its body in a gruesome, gory scene), it has often been depicted as the most gruesome character in Kirby history.
- If one were to look closely at the background during 0²'s fight, specifically seeing what looks like bar codes rotating in the background, they would notice that those aren't bar codes at all, but wheels, specifically the wheels of Ophanim, a high-ranking angel in Christianity, stated to be the thrones of God. Given the angel symbolism in 0²'s design, this implies that 0² is not just an angel, but a god.
- During the fight with 0², the "Try Again" option is replaced with "Tough It Out!". This option has the same effect as "Continue".
- The bandage on 0²'s head may be a reference to when its eye separated from the rest of its body in Kirby's Dream Land 3. This would mean that there is a gaping hole beneath the bandage left from when the eye broke away.
- Due to this and the bandage from Kirby's Dream Land 3, 0² could be considered 0 the second. This also means that the 0's red eye is its actual appearance and that the white sphere it inhabits is merely an egg sack containing numerous developing baby Dark Matter scouts that 0 uses to attack Kirby when they emerge from it.
- Many people have considered 0² to be one of the most disturbing bosses Nintendo has ever made (along with Giygas from EarthBound and Mad Jack from Donkey Kong 64).
- Zero and 0² are the only Kirby bosses to actually hemorrhage when hit; Zero used its blood as a weapon, while 0² bleeds from its eye when attacked.
- In Kirby's Return to Dreamland, Magolor's final form appears to have lost control and is merely a sad shell under the influence of the Master Crown, bearing a resemblance to a Dark Matter creature (even his mouth morphs into a Dark Matter eye) - this could mean that Zero is indeed still alive and manipulating his new host through the Crown, or else, from inside the Crown.
- In the Soul Melter EX difficulty of The Ultimate Choice from Kirby Star Allies, when fighting Void, his color scheme is similar to 0. Also, his splash screen resembles the Hyper Zone where 0 was fought.