|“||We change the world. Every day, in a hundred different ways.||„|
|~ Warren Vidic to Desmond Miles regarding Abstergo Industries.|
Abstergo Industries is a prominent corporate entity and an antagonistic organization featured in the Assassin's Creed video game series. It is one of the largest and most prominent multinational corporations of the modern era, serving as the primary front for the Templar Order. Outwardly labeled as a pharmaceutical development company, Abstergo Industries, or its predecessors, had been responsible for the majority of human technological development for the past millennia. Despite genuinely contributing to the technological development of society, Abstergo Industries' primary mission, as dictated by its Templar members, "[was] the destruction of the Assassin Order, the procurement of advanced technologies originally created by the First Civilization, and establishing a New World Order".
As of the year 2012, Abstergo Industries had come under investigation by the United States government for the "New Fluoride" experiment and was due to have its accounts frozen, prompting the company to hasten their planned Eye-Abstergo satellite launch.
In 2013, Abstergo Entertainment, the company's movie/video-game-developing branch, brought a research analyst to them to research Edward Kenway, Haytham's father, and find "the Observatory", while also developing a film about Edward. The Assassin Sage John worked as the IT department's head, seeking to bring the First Civilization villain Juno to Earth in physical form (she was released from the Grand Temple prison she was in at the end of Assassin's Creed III), but was shot to death by Abstergo security guards before that could happen.
In 2014, Abstergo Entertainment's research analyst was told to research the life of the Assassin-turned-Templar Shay Cormac as a means of seeing the Assassin-Templar War from a Templar's perspective and would be brought to the Order when it was finished. During this time, a computer virus planted in Shay's genetic memories triggered, infecting all of Abstergo Entertainment's computers and led to the Templar Otso Berg to come and hire the resaerch analyst to research Shay while also fixing the building's computers.
During that time, an Initiate recruit was brought into the Assassin Order while going through an Abstergo "video-game". The only level playable was the first one, the decline of the Templar Order and the execution of Jacques de Maloy. The Initiate was then seeing that the "game" was being hijacked by Initiates working with the Assassins, who show him things about the Assassins and Templars, the war, Abstergo Industries' true motives and (most importantly) had to research the life of the Assassin Arno Dorian.
As the greatest industrial force the Templars owned, Abstergo shared the same beliefs as the Templars; order and discipline through power and control. Some Abstergo employees did not recognize the Templar Order, neither did they hear about it, but certain high-ranking members of Abstergo knew the Templar cause. Since the Third Crusade, the Templars started realizing the power that the Pieces of Eden had over humans, and so they began searching for them. In modern times, they had used numerous subjects from the Animus Project to access the memories of their ancestors, in order to get hold of a map showing these artifacts. This goal later formed into total control and possession of all Pieces of Eden.
The Templars' goals had changed as they sought control to unify the entire world using these artifacts, going from "lasting peace, no matter what the cost" to the "New World Order". To accomplish this, they had to reach their ultimate goal; launching a Piece of Eden into orbit around Earth.
As shown in a recording you can acquire in Assassin's Creed: Rogue, the Templar Otso Berg sought to kill Juno (the franchise's new main antagonist after the death of Warren Vidic) and stop her from getting a hold of Abstergo's machines to conquer the world.
- Nelson W. Aldrich
- Henry Pomeroy Davison
- Henry Ford
- Gero Kramer
- Charles Norton
- Ransom Eli Olds
- Benjamin Strong, Jr.
- Frank A. Vanderlip
- Paul Warburg
- Ellen Kaye - Chairwoman of Board of Directors
- Agneta Reider - Chief Executive Officer of the Abstergo Financial Group
- Juhani Otso Berg - Head of Abstergo Medical, Black Cross
- Jane Birkam - Position Unknown, Friend of Warren Vidic
- David Kilkerman - Research, Animus Project
- Laetitia England - Head of the Operations Division of Abstergo Industries
- Dr. Mitsuko Nakamura - Research, Director of Lineage Research and Acquisition
- Alfred Stearns - Retired Head of Operations Division of Abstergo Industries
- Simon Hathaway - Head of Abstergo Industries' Historical Research Division
- Amanda Sekibo - Chief Technician of the Abstergo Industries' Animus 4.35 at the London office
- Alex - Technician working for Abstergo Industries and the assistant of Dr. Sofia Rikkin in the Abstergo Foundation Rehabilitation Center in Madrid
- Otto Schmidt - Operations executive in the Lineage Research and Acquisition division of Abstergo Industries (Deceased)
- Daniel Cross - Operations (Deceased)
- Warren Vidic - Director of the Animus Project at Abstergo Industries (Deceased)
- Isabell Ardant - Operations, Head of Historical Research at Abstergo Industries (Deceased)
- Álvaro Gramática - Director of Research of the Future Technology division of Abstergo Industries (Deceased)
- Alan Rikkin - Chief Executive Officer of Abstergo Industries (Deceased)
- Victoria Bibeau - Psychiatrist and researcher for the Lineage Discovery and Acquisition division of Abstergo Industries at the Aerie (Left) (Deceased)
- Layla Hassan - Employee of Abstergo Industriesof Abstergo Industries(Left)
- Leila Marino (Deceased)
- Alice Adler - Abstergo technician (Deceased)
- Thomas Adler - Abstergo technician (Deceased)
- Abstergo is a Latin verb, meaning "I cleanse".
- The Abstergo logo can be seen several times in the Minerva warning in Assassin's Creed II. The logo is also seen multiple times at the end of Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, where Desmond is holding an Apple of Eden.
- The former president of Abstergo Industries was Alan Rikkin, before being slain by Callum Lynch.
- In a Glyph puzzle in Assassin's Creed II, you can notice in the one with the moon landing that the American flag in the picture has an Abstergo logo on it if you scroll over it. This means that Abstergo invented, or was somehow involved, in the moon landings we know of today.
- Juno's motives match the Templar's motives. However, Abstergo worker Otso Berg doesn't take kindly to this and wants to stop her. What the rest of the company has to say about this isn't known at present, but they might be working on ways to destroy her.
Cult of Kosmos (Peloponnesian War)
Aspasia | Deimos | Kleon | Pausanias of Sparta | Exekias | Iokaste | The Hydra | Polemon | Nyx | Elpenor | Sotera | The Master | Hermippos | Midas | Epiktetos | The Centaur of Euboea | The Chimera | The Silver Griffin | Machaon | Brison | Podarkes | Rhexenor | Iobates | Kodros | Pallas | Deianeira | Belos | Swordfish | Okytos | Melite | Harpalos | Zoisme | Diona | Chrysis | The Mytilenian Shark | Melanthos | The Octopus | Sokos | Asterion | Skylax | The Monger | Lagos | Kallias | Silanos
Achaemenid Empire / Greek City-States: Amorges | Gergis | The Immortals | Artazostre | Dimokrates | Gaspar | Harpagos | Pithias | Phila | Augos | Megakreon | Nestor | Sophos | Nestor | Pactyas | Nestor | Akantha | Bubares | Echion | Konon | Phratagounè | Timosa
Knight Templars (Crusades)
Rodrigo Borgia | Ludovico Orsi | Checco Orsi | Jacopo de' Pazzi | Uberto Alberti | Francesco de' Pazzi | Vieri de' Pazzi | Antonio Maffei | Stefano da Bagnone | Bernardo Baroncelli | Francesco Salviati | Emilio Barbarigo | Marco Barbarigo | Carlo Grimaldi | Silvio Barbarigo | Juan Borgia the Elder | Lucrezia Borgia | Cesare Borgia | Octavian de Valois | Micheletto Corella | Silvestro Sabbatini | Malfatto | Ristoro | Lia de Russo | Auguste Oberlin | Fiora Cavazza | Il Carnefice
Tomás de Torquemada | Ojeda | Ramirez
Byzantine Templars (16th Century Ottoman Empire)
Chinese Templars (Ming Dynasty)
Zhang Yong | Qiu Ju | Wei Bin | Yu Dayong | Ma Yongcheng | Gao Feng
Louisiana Templars (18th Century New Orleans)
Madeleine de L'Isle | Rafael Joaquín de Ferrer | George Davidson | Diego Vázquez | Antonio de Ulloa
Georgian and Colonial Era: Reginald Birch | Edward Braddock | Lawrence Washington | Samuel Smith | James Wardrop
Radical faction:Francois-Thomas Germain | Charles Gabriel Sivert | Le Roi des Thunes | Frédéric Rouille | Marie Lévesque | Louis-Michel le Peletier | Aloys la Touche | Flavigny | Marcourt | Maximilien de Robespierre | Jean Gilbert | Denis Molinier | Duchesneau | Arpinon
Russian Templars(Russian Revolution)
21st Century Templars (Abstergo Industries, mainly)
Girolamo Savonarola's forces
Jack the Ripper