|This article's content is marked as Mature|
The page Mature contains mature content that may include coarse language, sexual references, and/or graphic violent images which may be disturbing to some. Mature pages are recommended for those who are 18 years of age and older.
If you are 18 years or older or are comfortable with graphic material, you are free to view this page. Otherwise, you should close this page and view another page.
|“||The Undead Legion of Farron is a caravan of Undead. Sworn by the wolf's blood to contain the Abyss, the Legion will bury a kingdom at the first sign of exposure. Joyous bunch, really. Gaining admission to the Legion is a matter of some ceremony. Inside their keep, snuffing out the flames of three altars opens the door to the wolf blood. Even accursed Undead want to believe they're special, it seems. I pity the sorry souls.||„|
|~ Hawkwood the Deserter on the Abyss Watchers.|
The Abyss Watchers are minor yet pivotal antagonists in Dark Souls III. They are the first Lords of Cinders fought in the Ashen One's quest through Lothric.
The Abyss Watchers are a group of undead warriors who took after the inspiration of the Wolf Knight from Anor Londo, Knight Artorias. The main component of the Undead Legion of Farron, they partook in "wolf blood" to combat the Abyss. While they are meant to be the highest good, they were somewhat radical in nature, as any slight threat of the Abyss would result in that area being leveled to the ground by the Abyss Watchers. When they partook to link the fire, it is unknown if only one or all of them linked it.
But as time went on, the wolf blood dried up and Farron was consumed by a festering wood. Their home grew acrid, and the residents were warped into monsters. With the powers of the Abyss Watchers reduced, the Abyss spread across Lothric. The Abyss Watchers were either driven by anger or corrupted by the darkness' influences. Driven into madness, the warriors clashed at the closest source of the Abyss, each other.
By the time the Ashen One reaches the Abyss Watchers' hideout in the back of Farron Keep, the soldiers had massacred one another, leaving only a single survivor to face against the player. As the battle with the Watcher occurs, two other Watchers are shown to be able to awaken from their fatal injuries in desperation to kill the player or the other Watchers, as shown through their madness with glowing red eyes. Fatally slaying the main Watcher kills off the other Watchers, as in a desperate attempt to keep himself alive, the Watcher absorbs the remaining blood of his fallen brethren to heal himself. Doing so revives himself as a Lord of Cinder, restoring his ember ash to ignite his body and sword with fire. After one final clash with the Ashen One, they eventually triumph against the corrupt Abyss Watcher and put him out of his misery.
- One theory why the Watchers set up in the Farron Keep might be because of how it connects with the Catacombs of Carthus, the resting place of High Lord Wolnir who fell into the Abyss.
- Hawkwood the Deserter was once an Abyss Watcher who decided to not fulfill his duty of searching for the other Lords of Cinder and instead took residence in Firelink Shrine.
- The additional Watchers wake up based on a timer and are always the same two.
- A glitch can occur if an enemy is brought up directly to the fog door, it may attract the red-eyed Watcher and distract him for the entirety of the first phase.
- The Undead Legion Set becomes available for purchase from the Shrine Handmaid after defeating the Watchers.
- The Soul of the Blood of the Wolf can be consumed for 20,000 souls or transposed with Ludleth to create either the Farron Greatsword or the Wolf Knight's Greatsword.