This Villain was proposed and approved by Villains Wiki's Pure Evil Proposals Thread. Any act of removing this villain from the category without a Removal Proposal shall be considered vandalism (or a futile "heroic" attempt of redemption) and the user will have high chances of being
|“||It doesn't matter where you stand, I'll still destroy you, just like I'll destroy them and the ENTIRE WORLD!||„|
|“||I recognize you as my enemy, Dragon. And I shall slay you.||„|
|~ Acnologia to Igneel.|
Acnologia, also known and fearfully reputed as the Black Dragon of the Apocalypse is the overarching antagonist of the anime/manga series Fairy Tail.
He is an incredibly powerful Dragon Slayer who can take on the form of a Dragon and is the self-proclaimed Dragon King. He succeeded in killing nearly all Dragons and is now hellbent on killing all remaining Dragon Slayers. After Zeref's demise, he becomes the final villain of the series. Posthumously, he has been frequently mentioned in the follow-up manga, Fairy Tail: 100 Years Quest.
|“||He continued to destroy Dragons and bathe in their blood. Presently, his skin turned to scales, his teeth to fangs. He transformed into a Dragon himself. A Dragon with pitch-black wings unlike any other Dragon.||„|
|~ Zirconis explaining Acnologia's Transformation.|
Acnologia is a gargantuan Dragon whose entire upper body is covered in black round scales which in turn are decorated by spiraling blue markings. Its lower body, specifically its belly, inner tail and legs are gray in color and seem to be rather smooth. It possesses a blunt, rounded head with four large and elongated plates extending backwards, and has white beady eyes. Its mouth is full of sharp teeth, and below it is an elongated protrusion pointing downwards. Acnologia’s gargantuan, multilayered wings are composed of the very same plates covering its whole body, which take on a formation reminiscent of a bird’s feathers. Its massive tail splits in two at its end where the black plates disappear and takes on a double stinger-like appearance.
In his human form, despite being over 400 years old has the appearance of a muscular young man with long dark blue colored hair. His youthful appearance is most likely due to mastering his Dragon Form and losing the ability to age. His eyes have black circles around them and he bears the same light blue markings as he does in his Dragon form. For attire, he dons a high collared black cloak and has a necklace of red dragon claws around his neck and a sash around his waist. He wears a gold ring on his left arm and baggy pants that are decorated the same as the former article of clothing.
After his battle with Igneel, his right arm was taken, in his human form, it is still missing resulting in him having to hide it beneath his cloak.
400 years ago, Acnologia had a slightly slimmer built to him and had shorter hair. He also wore a white lab coat, due to his previous occupation as a medical doctor.
|“||He refuses to speak to them which means he views them as nothing more than insects, Men don't engage vermin in conversation this is no different, and men certainly don't battle pests the same as actual threats.||„|
|~ Zeref Dragneel during Acnologia's rampage.|
While a few other Dragons appear somewhat cooperative, harmonious and amicable to humans, Acnologia is extremely inimical, dangerous, malevolent and temperamental towards them so he respectively scrutinizes them as infinitesimal. According to Zeref's words about Acnologia, "he [saw] them as nothing more than insects pestering him" despite originally being a human himself and preferring his original human form in a casual instance. It was shown that even while he had yet to transform into a Dragon, Acnologia had no mercy towards his fellow humans if they got in the way of his Dragon slaying and even killed an entire village because they offered their own as food to the dragons, though in a way Acnologia could be said to have had moral standards back then as he openly expressed disgust over the selfishness of the villagers and he did feel guilty over witnessing Sonya's death, apologizing over being unable to save her.
400 years ago, Acnologia was a compassionate and kind man who wanted to protect his people, but felt he did not have the strength to pull off such a feat, and used his healing magic to treat the injured. Following the destruction of his hometown, at the hands of the very dragon who once protected it, the trauma and hatred he felt towards the original Acnologia drove him to a dark path, becoming an extremely aggressive, bloodthirsty, detrimental and treacherous person who, upon acquiring the power needed to avenge his people, coldly slaughtered all Dragons he came into, including his own allies, even those who did not antagonize humanity. Seeing them kill a little girl made him more furious and revenge-driven to the point where he vowed to exterminate all dragons. Acnologia's hatred for dragons extended to the point that he desired to kill all Dragon Slayers in existence (even those who earned this form of Lost Magic through the use of Lacrimas), showing an immensely profound hatred for Dragonkind that extended not only to Dragons themselves but also to those who had their power. While part of it was to make him the supreme ruler of all Dragons, his main reason was solely out of vengeance.
In his human form, Acnologia has a stoic personality even after slicing God Serena's abdomen open he is still composed after announcing his goal of hunting down and killing the remaining Dragon Slayers. He seems to prefer to get straight to the problem should he agree to meet with humans he deems significant enough to attract his presence as he immediately asked Zeref what he wanted in their meeting. Despite being the most destructively powerful being alive, Acnologia oddly does not try to conquer the world despite easily having the power to do so, implying that while he holds overwhelming power Acnologia simply does not hunger for dominance even over humans despite hating them and simply desires to be isolated from them. This is also shown when he scarcely appears as he has never been known to appear until the events concerning Tenrou Island and Tartaros. As both instances contained Dragons or Dragon Slayers his true goals seemed to only be the erasure of every trace of Dragonkind from existence and he apparently wanted nothing more than that or at least considered it to be his purpose for living. However, he still possessed a love for battle as shown when he fought against Irene Belserion and he seemed to be impressed by her power, even giving her praise for entertaining him. Igneel said that Acnologia had a fear of Zeref's most powerful Demon named E.N.D. which he rebuked, but it remains unknown whether or not this statement was true.
As Acnologia dies, it is shown that for all of Acnologia's ruthlessness, he is truly a man who had been completely broken by the loss of everything that he cherished to the cruelty of dragons and thus resorted to taking everything from everyone else through destruction and violence to make himself feel whole. In fact, as Natsu states after dealing the fatal blow, Acnologia was so broken that deep down he wanted to die but could never bring himself to commit suicide. As Natsu reminds him of what he used to have and shows sympathy towards him, Acnologia accepts his death with dignity and even gives Natsu a gentle smile as he acknowledges that Natsu was worthy of being the Dragon King.
As a Dragon Slayer, he suffers from motion sickness due to the incompatible sensory hybridization of human and Dragon physiques.
Powers and Abilities
|“||Many years ago, Acnologia used his Dragon Slayer Magic to tear our souls from our bodies.||„|
|~ Grandeeney explaining how the souls of many Dragons were stolen.|
- Dragon Slayer Magic: As one of the first humans who entered the Dragon Civil War, Acnologia was also among the first Dragon Slayers brought into existence. Over time, however, as he slayed many Dragons until he himself was turned into a Dragon due to the extensive overuse of his Lost Magic. Acnologia doesn't have a specific Dragon Slayer Magic element, his Dragon Slayer Magic makes him immune to all types of Magic, as seen when he devoured Jellal's Heavenly Body Magic. His Dragon Slayer Magic also gives him the ability to reap the souls of Dragons leaving them in a half dead state. His Dragon Slayer Magic attacks emit either maleficent yellow light or purple light.
- Dragon's Roar: Like all Dragons and Dragon Slayers, Acnologia can perform a Dragon's Roar, incorporating his respective magic into a massive breath attack. This blast, while he was a Dragon, was powerful enough to "completely eradicate" the entirety of Tenrou Island and imprint a giant crater into the ocean. His roar is also powerful enough to split the ocean in half.
- Mouth Blasts: Acnologia releases from his mouth multiple explosive blasts capable of devastating the Time Rift's surroundings and downing the Dragon Slayers.
- Finger Beam: Acnologia can fire from a single finger a giant beam of energy that caused massive destruction and injured Natsu despite him guarding.
- Eruption: By gesturing upwards, Acnologia causes a powerful eruption of energy that even Irene Belserion could not block it, forcing her to dodge.
- Eternal Flare: A powerful spell that casts thousands of stars which rain down causing mass destruction upon the land.
- Kinetic Blasts: Acnologia was able to release telekinetic blasts with just a wave of his hand capable of casually trashing the Dragon Slayers.
- Shockwaves: Acnologia was able to release powerful shockwaves capable of easily repelling the Dragon Slayers and causing massive explosions and damage to the Time Rift's surroundings.
- Time Magic: After being trapped in the Time Lapse, Acnologia devoured the time magic inside and broke free of his seal with his newly absorbed magic. Acnologia's already his enhanced power was amplified as a result and he used it to launch destructive attacks all around before causing all dragon slayers to disappear. It is soon revealed by Anna (who was thrown out the ravines of time) that when Acnologia was trapped and devoured the time magic, the unstable magic split his body in two with his physical body rampaging through Magnolia as his spiritual body stayed in the ravines of time to maintain his power which he plans he to use the dragon to continue doing so.
- Healing Magic: Before becoming a Dragon Slayer, Acnologia knew healing magic which he used to treat sick and injured dragons.
Acnologia, contrary to the legends surrounding him, did not entirely became a Dragon and has retained the ability to enter and exit his extremely powerful Dragon Form at free will. As a result of this power, Acnologia has been granted extreme longevity and lacks the ability to age which is why he resembles a young man despite being over centuries of years old.
- Flight: After mastering Dragon Slayer magic and transforming, Acnologia gained the ability to fly, using his large wings to travel great distances, maneuver high up in the air, and perform aerial assaults on those below him.
- Enhanced Durability: Acnologia, while a Dragon, is capable of shrugging off attacks from extremely powerful Mages like Erza Scarlet, Laxus Dreyar, and Mirajane Strauss, as well as from Natsu Dragneel, Gajeel Redfox, and Wendy Marvell, the latter three using their Dragon Slayer Magics, all their Magics having absolutely no effect on the Black Dragon. Later on, it is shown how even other Dragons of Igneel's caliber have high difficulty harming Acnologia in any noteworthy way, him taking the full force of Igneel's massive fire breath attack and emerging unscathed as if nothing happened. Likewise, he was quick to rebound from being briefly overpowered
- Enhanced Strength: Given his immense size, Acnologia, in Dragon form, is easily capable of reducing a substantially sized area to rubble by simply landing on top of it. Truly attesting to the form's immense brutish strength, Acnologia engaged in a head-on physical confrontation with Makarov in his Giant form and easily gained the upper hand. According to Gildarts Clive, despite the amazing physical feats Acnologia performed on Tenrou Island, the Dragon wasn't using the same level of strength as he was during their brief confrontation, that rather, the Black Dragon was toying around with every last one of them. Likewise, he could match Igneel blow-to-blow before breaking out of his hold after being briefly restrained and soon overpower him. Though the Fire Dragon King was weakened due to his long slumber, he himself admitted Acnologia's strength exceeded his expectations.
- Enhanced Speed: As a dragon, Acnologia is able to move at incredible speeds being able to catch up with the Christine which had boosted its speed. He is also capable of increasing his speed that it shocked the ship's crew who tried to escape only for him to latch his way on the ship in mere seconds.
Even in his human form, Acnologia displays terrifying levels of power, which made him among the very few Dragon Slayer actually capable of slaying dragons, leading to the extinction of dragons, and has been seen to easily outclass any opponent he came across in the final battle.
- Immense Strength: Acnologia holds tremendous raw strength even in his human form, as showcased when he slayed God Serena, the infamous strongest Mage of Ishgar himself, user of multiple forms of Dragon Slayer Magic, and a Shield of Spriggan, with a single bare hand alone, ripping right through his abdomen and killing him in one swipe almost instantly. During his fight with the seven dragon slayers, he was able to effortlessly repel with one hand Sting and Rogue's simultaneous blow and then stop Laxus, Cobra and Wendy's blow with just one hand and one leg and was also able to badly damage Natsu and Cobra with one attack, even damaging Cobra's innards with the attack and making Natsu bleed. In the past, he was shown to be able to physically tear through dragon skin with his bare hands.
- Immense Speed and Agility: While only in his human form, Acnologia can move at blinding speeds, striking down God Serena before he or his spectating fellow Shields of Spriggan, August and Jacob Lessio, even knew what had happened. When fighting the seven dragon slayers, Acnologia was able to effortlessly counter their attacks and punish them before they could react. Acnologia has also proven to be extremely agile, being able to effortlessly dodge all of Jellal's Jiu Leixing and Sting's Holy Ray with acrobatic jumps.
- Enhanced Smell: Acnologia has an incredible sense of smell, which he shares with other Dragon Slayers. He could instantly tell God Serena was a Dragon Slayer after smelling him from a distance and could tell there were seven other Dragon Slayers across the whole country Fiore, despite the incredible distance between all of them.
- Master Hand-to-Hand Combatant: With eons worth of experience, Acnologia is an extraordinary hand-to-hand combatant, able to effortlessly fight and overpower the seven dragon slayers by himself, countering each and every attack even with just one limb and swiftly trashing them aside even when they attacked him together.
- Immense Durability: Even in his human form, Acnologia was extraordinarily durable, as none of the dragon slayer attacks nor Jellal's spells that landed was able to even injure him at all and only a full-power blow from an enraged Natsu empowered by all the others was able to destroy him.
- Telepathic Immunity: According to Future Rogue, Acnologia is immune to Dragon Supremacy Magic. He is likewise impervious to Cobra's mind-reading powers.
- Immense Magic Power: Holding extraordinary levels of Magic Power even while only in his human form, Acnologia's Magic Power sheer presence could overwhelm even members of the Wizard Saints and Spriggan 12, even the strongest male, "Magic King" August himself, being awed and sweating at his enormous power and be felt through distances clearly. The strongest female member of the Spriggan 12 Irene Belserion even stated that he was more powerful than she initially thought. Both August and Zeref stated that the Black Wizard would only be able to face him with Fairy Heart's power and Zeref even stated he and Mavis combined would still be easily outclassed and turned into slaves by Acnologia. Much stronger than initially assumed to be, even after going toe-to-toe with and eventually overpowering Igneel, the "Fire Dragon King", in combat (although Igneel's power was quickly dwindling due to the years he was sealed), Acnologia is mentioned by Zeref to be still waiting for someone to truly challenge him, meaning he was holding back in his bout with the Fire Dragon King, and despite the Five Dragon Gods being said to rival Acnologia's power, one of those Dragons, Aldoron, lost to Acnologia, who defeated him so grievously that he had to rest for decades. Additionally, Zeref at one point has stated that Acnologia could rule the world with his power (which he was able to do in Future Rogue's timeline).
- Acnologia was perhaps the strongest and most powerful Wizard and antagonist in the series as a whole. God Serena was easily slain by him despite his own incredible power and Zeref himself even stated he had no hope of defeating the Dragon King without using the Lumen Histoire, or Fairy Heart. Though the sequel Fairy Tail: The 100-Year Quest added the extraordinarily powerful Five Dragon Gods, whose power were stated to be comparable to, if not, even greater than his own, one of those characters, Aldoron, was said to have lost his fight with Acnologia and suffered near-mortal wounds, indicating he may be stronger than a few of them.
- Acnologia used no specific element in his Dragon Slayer Magic, but it made him immune to all forms of Magic Power, even the very same Lost Magic he wielded; the Grandeeney explained that one of the reasons for the Dragons hiding themselves inside their children's bodies was to use the future's higher Ethernano concentrations to temporarily repair the damage Acnologia's Dragon Slayer Magic had done to their Souls after he used his Power to remove them.
- Acnologia was the first known Dragon Slayer to have actually slain a Dragon thus officially earning him the title. The second was Natsu when he killed Animus as E.N.D. in Dragon Cry and the third, fourth and fifth being the members of the Guild Diabolos in The 100 Year Quest.
- Acnologia was the only Dragon Slayer in the series not part of a Guild, group or other organization.
- In the anime, it is revealed that Acnologia is not actually his real name, but instead the name he took from the guardian that protected his homeland, as Acnologia's entire backstory did not occur in the manga.