|This article's content is marked as Mature|
The page Mature contains mature content that may include coarse language, sexual references, and/or graphic violent images which may be disturbing to some. Mature pages are recommended for those who are 18 years of age and older.
If you are 18 years or older or are comfortable with graphic material, you are free to view this page. Otherwise, you should close this page and view another page.
|“||I just want the weak who get swept along with the flow to be considered human, too.||„|
|~ Annie to Marlowe Freudenberg.|
Annie Leonhart, also known as the Female Titan is a major antagonist in the anime/manga series Attack on Titan. She serves as a supporting protagonist in the series, while also secretly acting as an antagonist offscreen, until the Female Titan arc, where she serves as the main antagonist, appearing mostly disguised as the Female Titan, whose events are planned and assisted by Reiner Braun. She later appears as a supporting protagonist in the Marley arc flashbacks and in the War for Paradis arc. She is the archenemy of Mikasa Ackerman and love interest of Armin Arlert.
A 14-meter tall Titan with a previously unheard of feminine body structure, encountered during the expedition to Wall Maria. She possesses intelligence, extensive knowledge of hand-to-hand combat, and the ability to selectively regenerate or harden parts of her body during battle. During her childhood, she was trained by her father and later by Theo Magath into Marley's service along with Zeke Yeager, Reiner Braun, Bertolt Hoover, Marcel Galliard, Porco Galliard, and Pieck Finger. All of them were born and grew in their hometown Liberio, and were locked in an internment zone, one of the ghettos where the Eldians of Marley live.
Like Bertolt, she obediently follows Reiner's plans and ideas, first bringing the Titans to Wall Maria as well as doing Marcel's work, spying on the nobility and the military, helping to kill Marco Bott, killing Sawney and Bean with Reiner, and finally attempting to capture Eren numerous times according to Reiner's commands. Unlike Reiner, she doesn't care about her mission, is openly hostile towards him and only desires to return to Marley and reunite with her father. However she also demonstrates anti-heroic qualities such as teaching Eren martial arts, saving Jean and Connie, befriending Marlowe and Hitch and developing romantic feelings for Armin.
Annie has a small yet well-built stature and has naturally-blonde hair that ends near her eyes. Annie's eyes are blue and she usually has a stoic face and rarely smiles, she wears the same uniform as everyone else.
In Annie's Titan form, she is noticeably different but still keeping her redeeming qualities. Annie Still retains her blond hair with blue eyes and stands at a very tall height, unlike other Titans Annie doesn't retain much of her skin and is down to revealing muscle tissue with a little skin around her midriff. Lastly Annie has a very well endowed muscular body with her biceps and triceps along with her thighs being bulky.
Annie is considered to be an isolated, glamorous, and exclusionary type; friendships do not come to her easily. She is rarely seen smiling and often has an emotionless expression. She is lazy, indolent, unresponsive, apathetic, callous, lethargic, dispassionate, quiescent, wimpy, and somnolent, with little desire to put in any effort into meaningless disciplines or activities, and instead focuses exclusively on making it into the Military Police Brigade to obtain an easy life. Yet, she somehow does seem to hold a strange fascination and even feelings of respect towards people that have a deep sense of duty and righteousness - in those people who do care and who can devote their lives and even die for causes they believe in.
Annie is genuinely selfish, due to having been abandoned at birth and being used as a tool by everyone she has ever known, even by her adoptive father who wanted a better life for himself through her. She has no interest in protecting strangers due to being unattached to most of humanity to an absurdly high degree.
While other Warriors have grand goals of improving life for their people or protecting the world, Annie only cares about seeing her father. She equally despises both Eldia and Marley as nations, deeming them both selfish and inconsiderate for human lives, and feels the same way for every other nation. In fact she believes almost everyone in the world is rotten and selfish, and sees it as normal human nature, which is why she only pursues small-scale goals, as they solely gratify her immediate desires. Perhaps her admiration for people devoted to a cause than themselves stems from a knowledge that her small goals will not fulfil her, unlike the feelings drawn from pursuing justice, morality or nearly unattainable dreams.
Despite Annie's usually cold, ruthless, bloodthirsty, unpleasant, violent, and calm demeanour, she is shown to emote her feelings in various ways. She was clearly vituperative and angered when Reiner teased her about her constant avoidance in hand-to-hand combat training. Despite her seeming callousness, she has expressed a level of guilt and shock, most notably when apologizing to a certain corpse after the battle of Trost. Annie is also known to be very enthusiastic, dedicated, and loyal in her mission as a Titan shifter, to the point that she killed many innocent people to reach her goal (also attempting to kill many of her former comrades), and shed tears when she failed to capture Eren. Though she is seemingly indifferent and imperturbable towards her capability as a competent hand-to-hand combat fighter, she remains proud of her skills and even seems to enjoy the very notion of fighting as deduced by Eren. The only time that she is seen as genuinely smiling in a caring, positive, and thoughtful manner is when she expressed a curious interest in teaching Eren how to fight in her unique fighting style.
- Previous holder of the Female Titan (Pure Titan)
- Numerous counts of Shiganshina District citizens (Caused)
- Carla Yeager (Caused)
- Marco Bott (Caused)
- Ivan (Caused)
- Luke Siss
- Dieter Ness
- Darius Baer Walbrunn
- Gunther Schultz
- Eld Jinn
- Petra Ral
- Oruo Bozad
- Female Wall cultist
- Several unidentified Survey Corps soldiers
- Numerous counts of Stohess District citizens (Caused)
- Like all of the three Titan-Shifter moles, Annie acts as a foil and counterpart to one of the main characters. In her case, she is one to Mikasa; both are very skilled fighters who rarely show emotion and are very withdrawn, but Mikasa lives for Eren and Armin, while Annie shuts everybody out due to trust issues. Also, Mikasa is quite tall, has black hair and fights mainly on instinct, while Annie is short, has blond hair and relies on complex techniques. However, Annie and Mikasa are only similar when looking at their superficial aspects. In terms of character, personality, and reasoning, the two are nothing alike.
- Despite her ruthless, sadistic, and objectionable nature, she genuinely cares about her comrades, for example when she confronted Armin twice as a Titan in the field and let him live both times, and seemed hurt when Armin used emotional blackmail to expose her because she respected him. She also sobbed when Reiner manipulated her to help him kill Marco instead of having Bertholdt do it for him, as Reiner had noticed she was starting to feel too much compassion towards humanity in the walls.
- Annie, Reiner and Bertholdt don't work well together like Eren, Mikasa, and Armin do. They are dysfunctional and there's no good communication between them, with Reiner having to do most of the job as he doubts Annie's loyalty to Marley (rightly, given she holds no true loyalty to Marley, only her father) and considers Bertholdt unreliable. Annie and Reiner don't seem to get along much, even if the latter is concerned about her safety. However, later in the story Annie makes peace with Reiner and shares a hug with him.