|“||I answer to no man. Not even you.||„|
|~ Aresia's famous quote.|
Aresia is a villainess who appeared in the DCAU Justice League. She is an Amazon who turned evil and is determined to purge every male on the planet. Aresia is also the adoptive sister of Wonder Woman and the adoptive daughter of Hippolyta, the Queen of Themiscyra.
She was voiced by Julie Bowen.
Due to her tragic past and being raised in an Amazonian environment, Aresia quickly developed a misandric view of all men (believing them to be the source of the world's greed, cruelty, and deception). When learning from Hippolyta that her life was once saved by man (The Ship's Captain), Aresia simply chalks it up for the fact that the actions of one man was not enough to pardon the others.
This mindset had also put Aresia at odds with her adoptive family (Wonder Woman and Hippolyta), to the point of willingly fighting (or killing) them. Although beforehand, she tried to convince Wonder Woman to help join her cause.
Aresia was an orphaned child from a village somewhere in Europe filled with conflict as a bloody and senseless civil war there ruined the land and drove most of its residents including neighbors, friends, and schoolmates, away, and its unjust victors denied even the basic humanity of their defeated enemies. She and her unidentified birth mother went on a refugee ship to escape the burning village they were forced to leave, but it was later taken over by pirates. The pirates sunk the ship and killed many individuals including Aresia's own mother. Aresia arrived the shores of Themysicra and was taken in by Hippolota.
She appeared in the episode "Fury" exacting vengeance on the world's male population because of what the pirates did to her mother. She took in several members of Lex Luthor's Injustice Gang, including Star Sapphire, the Shade, Copperhead and Solomon Grundy and recruited a new member, Tsukuri.
She sends her minions to steal chemicals and other miscellaneous equipment and she reveals her master plan: to wipe out the entire male population with biological warfare and rid them with disease. At the end of part one, she released her virus, poisoning every male in the vicinity, including the Injustice Gang, save for Star Sapphire and Tsukuri, and the Justice League males. The virus had no effect on females.
Aresia infiltrates an air base to steal one of their planes and sends Star Sapphire to find Wonder Woman and Hawkgirl. The female leaguers arrived at the air base and Aresia offers them both a chance to join her cause, Wonder Woman refuses and the heroines fought Aresia and her group, but the two were defeated and unable to stop them from taking off. Aresia tells Tsukuri and Star Sapphire that she plans to enter a rocket launch base in order to shoot the missiles up into the air in to spread the toxin worldwide. Meanwhile Wonder Woman and Hawkgirl had recovered and were able to catch up and enter the stealth bomber.
Ironically, Aresia would have died had the captain of the ship on which she and her mother had been, a man, not saved her from drowning back in the pirate attack, a fact of which Hippolyta informs Aresia, but is dismissed with the cold remark that the actions of "one good man" cannot redeem the rest. In a final fight with Wonder Woman and Hawkgirl, Aresia had lost both of her allies and her plans were ultimately thwarted, while being killed when her plane exploded.
Powers and Abilities
While not being born an Amazonian, Aresia herself was magically endowed with several Amazonian abilities (save for the ability to fly like Wonder Woman and their immortality):
- Super Strength: Aresia is able to lift and toss things many times her size, even Batman and Superman was astonished by this feat, as the former was tossed aside twice and the latter was kicked into a wall (forming a man-shaped crater).
- Hand-to-Hand Combatant: Combined with her strength, Aresia was highly skilled in combat (her attacks usually revolve around grapples and throws), being able to fight on par with Wonder Woman and had managed to occasionally gain an upper hand during their struggle. Like Wonder Woman, Aresia wears bracelets that she uses when on the defensive.
- Genius-Level Intelligence: From the months of being in solitude, reading and studying germ warfare, she was able use this information to conjure up a toxin that only affected males and is able to help pilot a stealth bomber.
- Miscellaneous: Aresia appears to be well-versed in stealth tactics, ambushing her opponents (even skilled fighters like Wonder Woman and Hawkgirl). She also appears to have enhanced durability and jumping capabilities (this latter part could be augmented by her physical strength).
- Aresia carries several traits from the other DC Furies incarnations.
- The creators stated that they found Aresia to be an interesting and unique villain, her hatred of men is what drives fury.
- It is unknown how Aresia escaped from Themyscira into the outside world.
- Aresia can be seen as a foil to Wonder Woman herself.
- Had Aresia's plan succeeded, she would have doomed humanity to extinction after one or two generations.