Arimaspi is a minor antagonist appearing in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.
Arimaspi is a giant monster in the shape of a mountain goat, except that he can stand up-right, had claws, and a single eye. He was also adorned with several golden accessories, further expressing its greedy personality.
Centuries ago, Arimaspi invaded Griffonstone to steal the Idol of Boreas, which united all the griffons. King Guto and his soldiers tried to fight him, but he overpowered them, grabbed the idol and escaped out the window. He then tried to escape by crossing a bridge above the Abysmal Abyss, but was cornered by the griffons. Suddenly, the bridge was struck by lightning, sending him falling to his death and taking the idol with him.
The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone
In the episode, his story is explained by Grampa Gruff and shown in a flashback. Later, as Pinkie Pie and Gilda try to save Rainbow Dash from falling into the Abysmal Abyss when she is injured trying to recover the idol, they reach a lower area where Arimaspi's skull can be seen next to the idol, proving his death.
- Arimaspi is based and named after a race of mythological one-eyed people who fought griffons over gold.
- He looks similar to the G1 villain Grogar, as he has a goatlike appearance. Later in the series, a G4 version of Grogar appeared in Season 9, but he turned out to be Discord in disguise.
- His fall is similar to that of Queen Grimhilde from Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarves and Durin's Bane from The Lord of the Rings, except that the Balrog survived.
- Arimaspi is one of the only villains that the main protagonist(s) don't face directly. He is also one of the four villains who has died. The others are the Mean Six, King Sombra, and The Storm King.
- According to an updated map of Equestria, Arimaspi is the name of its species, which holds territory southwest of Macintosh Hills.
- According to The Art of My Little Pony: The Movie, Arimapsi was originally meant to appear in a scrapped prologue, revealing that he had been overthrown by the Storm King's army with the help of Tempest Shadow.