Azwel is a man of extraordinary intelligence and a scholar in many fields, including history, medicine, war, and art. His studies about the history of humanity brought him to the conclusion that humanity would self-destruct through wars and other calamities. His genius was such that he became one of the twelve leading members of the Aval Organization despite the others acknowledging his lack of loyalty and the fact that he could easily betray them the moment their goals no longer aligned. His fanatical love for the people led him to enact a terrifying plan to save them from themselves.
His weapon is named Palindrome, a pair of gauntlets. The right gauntlet includes a fragment of Soul Edge, while the left one has a piece of Soul Calibur. Azwel draws his power from their memories of past battles, preserved within those fragments. While he appears unarmed, his gauntlets allow him to summon a variety of deadly weapons, which he can use with brutal effects.
Despite his claims of wanting to "save" humanity, Azwel is a maniacal sadist who delights in psychologically and emotionally torturing his opponents, especially through his experiments.
- Though Palindrome is the official name of his weapon, none of his weapons' names are palindromes.
- Despite his weapon being his gauntlets, they are treated as arm parts for Character Creation and are not needed when his style is used.
- His appearance is similar to Cesare Borgia. They both are mannered on utopia, and have long, masculine hairdo and continuing, oriental goatees
- Azwel is the second completely new character in the rebooted timeline of Soul series games.
- He's the third Soulcalibur Big Bad to wield both Soul Calibur and Soul Edge. The first being Iska Farkas, Second being Algol