Bagan is a powerful ancient demonic beast and the final boss of the 1993 video game Super Godzilla. Bagan was also intended to appear in the two unmade films Reawakening of Godzilla and Mothra vs. Bagan.
Bagan was an ancient demonic beast from Chinese mythology who was discovered and awakened by a race of unnamed alien invaders. The aliens supercharged Bagan with both Godzilla and King Ghidorah's cells, causing him to grow to an incredible size and become even more powerful. Bagan was unleashed in Tokyo to destroy Godzilla, and proved to be much too powerful for Godzilla to defeat alone. Thankfully, a group of scientists were able to supercharge Godzilla with some of King Ghidorah's cells, transforming him into Super Godzilla. In his new powered-up form, Godzilla was able to defeat Bagan, banishing the demon and forcing the aliens to retreat.
Powers and Abilities
Bagan is incredibly powerful, and has greater physical strength and resistance to damage than even Godzilla. Bagan possesses a deadly Slasher Claw attack, he can create a Diamond Storm that he fires from his horns, he can spit a white Plasma Beam, and project a force field.
- In Reawakening of Godzilla, Bagan was to start out as three individual kaiju, the Doragon Reijuu (Sacred Dragon Beast), Enjin Reijuu (Sacred Ape Beast), and the Mizu Reijuu (Sacred Water Beast). After being defeated by Godzilla in each form, Bagan would transform into a totem-like composite of all three beasts and battle Godzilla again. In this form, Bagan would have been unable to regenerate, and would be destroyed by Godzilla for good.
- In Mothra vs. Bagan, Bagan was to be awakened by human activity and begin a campaign of destroying human civilization. Mothra would arise to stop him and battle Bagan across the planet before ultimately being killed, forcing her newborn larva to take on Bagan. The new Mothra would face and defeat Bagan in a final battle in Shanghai.
- Though Bagan never appeared in a film, his general backstory and some of his physical characteristics were used for the monsters Battra, Desghidorah, and Destoroyah.
- Bagan is the largest monster in the Godzilla franchise, standing at 150 meters (the same height as the Heisei King Ghidorah) and weighing 280,000 tons (80,000 tons heavier than the final form of Biollante).
- The word "Bagan" is Indonesian for "blueprint" or "draft," which is ironic considering Bagan was planned to appear in multiple films but ultimately scrapped.
- Bagan appears as a playable character in the fan-made flash game Godzilla: Daikaiju Battle Royale.
- Bagan appears in many stories in the non-canonical writing series known as Kaiju War Chronicles usually as a very powerful major villain. The most notable example is the Bagan vs. Everyone series, where after brutally murdering Monster X, Bagan battles against a massive army of heroic monsters all at once, such as Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan, and Kiryu, killing many of them with sadistic intent and zero remorse.