This Article Contains Spoilers - WARNING: This article contains major spoilers. If you do not wish to know vital information on plot / character elements in a story, you may not wish to read beyond this warning: We hold no responsibility for any negative effects these facts may have on your enjoyment of said media should you continue. That is all.
|This article's content is marked as Mature|
The page Mature contains mature content that may include coarse language, sexual references, and/or graphic violent images which may be disturbing to some. Mature pages are recommended for those who are 18 years of age and older.
If you are 18 years or older or are comfortable with graphic material, you are free to view this page. Otherwise, you should close this page and view another page.
Barton Geddes is the main antagonist of Ip Man 4: The Finale. He is the Gunnery Sergeant of the United States Marines who proves that karate is better than Chinese martial arts.
He was portrayed by Scott Adkins.
When Hartman Wu, Staff Sergeant in the Marines, attempts to convince Geddes to incorporate Chinese martial arts into their hand-to-hand combat training, he proves that their current Karate training is superior by asking him to fight the Marines' Karate instructor, Colin Frater, who defeats Hartman. Hartman later manages to convince the Commanding Officer about doing so and is instructed to film the Mid Autumn Festival happening at the Association for research, which upsets Geddes.
Geddes asks Frater to challenge the grandmasters at the Festival, defeating a few of them until Ip Man interferes and defeats him badly. Meanwhile, Wan, who was supposed to be present at the festival, is arrested by the immigration officers. Upon seeing Frater defeated, Geddes barges into the Association to find out where Wan is kept and defeats everyone there. He then threatens Walters to release Wan into the Marines' custody before bringing Wan into the camp to fight him. Due to a tip-off by a student of Lee, the Association is left empty by the time the immigration officers raid the place. Lee provides refuge for the Association, earning their respect.
Wan is seriously injured from the fight with Geddes. Ip, filled with emotions, finally reveals to his son that he has cancer, which finally allows him to talk to his father over the phone after many attempts by Ip. Ip is brought into the Marines' camp by Hartman, where he battles Geddes. Ip and Geddes fight evenly until Ip Man eventually defeats him by striking his neck. Afterward, he is taken to the sick bay for treatment of his injuries.
After Ip's death and legacy, Chinese martial arts are subsequently included in the Marine's hand-to-hand combat training, starting from 2001, leaving his plan somewhat in vain.
- He is considered the American counterpart to General Miura (the main antagonist of first Ip Man), due to the fact that he wants to prove that Karate is superior to Kung Fu and other Chinese Martial Arts (same goal as Miura in the first film). He is also proved to be much more powerful and aggresive than Miura.
- The main difference between Miura and Geddes is that Miura, despite being General of the Imperial Japanese Army and committing war crimes that are unthinkable, still has an honor and respect for Ip Man. Barton Geddes, in addition to being a corrupt military officer, proved to be more cruel than Miura (reaching the point of almost killing one of Ip Man's friends, the Tai Chi master Wan Zong-hua).
- Although Barton Geddes is an American, the actor who plays him, Scott Adkins, is British.
- He has similarities with Taylor Milos, the main antagonist of Ip Man 2, due to them being racist and openly hating the Chinese, and wanting to prove that their fighting skills are better than the Chinese. They fight and defeat a friend of Ip Man only to be defeated by Ip Man himself.
- Coincidentally, their actors are British.
|Ip Man Villains|