|This article's content is marked as Mature|
The page Mature contains mature content that may include coarse language, sexual references, and/or graphic violent images which may be disturbing to some. Mature pages are recommended for those who are 18 years of age and older.
If you are 18 years or older or are comfortable with graphic material, you are free to view this page. Otherwise, you should close this page and view another page.
|Jafar says: Read my lips and come to grips with the reality!|
|“||No one had to follow. God could have stopped me.||„|
|~ Benjamin Cyrus|
Benjamin Cyrus (real name: Charles Mulgrew) is the charismatic leader of the Separatarian Sect and the main antagonist of the Criminal Minds Season 4 episode "Minimal Loss".
He was portrayed by the late Luke Perry.
Born Charles Mulgrew, he and his mother were kicked out of a self-sustaining La Plata County, Colorado community led by Libertarian Leo Kane after girls told Leo that he molested them. As an adult, and going by his current name, Benjamin returned, usurped Leo, and became the new leader of the community, turning it into a religious cult known as the Separatarian Sect. Benjamin took over the commune, proclaiming himself a Messiah.
He was identified by local authorities as having sexually abused many underage girls in the Separatarians. It is revealed that he is married to a teenage cult member Jessica Evanson. In the past, he had been convicted of three counts of statutory rape. In prison, he volunteered at the prison hospital. His service there resulted in him becoming a respected member of the community despite his crimes.
In the episode, Behavioral Analysis Unit Agents Spencer Reid and Emily Prentiss are called in to meet with him and are introduced as "child interview experts". He holds them hostage after the death of a local social worker at the hands of Colorado State Police. When Benjamin finds out that a lone FBI agent is present, Prentiss admits her identity, partially to protect Reid, and Benjamin gives her a savage beating.
Special Supervisory Agent David Rossi offers to speak to Benjamin and asks him to let the children in the compound go. He refuses, saying he will not release them from his "protection". Benjamin then prepares a mass suicide ritual to root out the unbelievers. The ritual is a bluff, however, and those who showed emotion after drinking the "poisoned" wine were released. After negotiations, Benjamin agrees to let the children go and surrender. He has, however, rigged the compound with explosives. The FBI agents then break into the compound as Prentiss is leading the women and children out, and Agent Derek Morgan is forced to shoot Benjamin dead when Benjamin attacks him. His body is found by Jessica, who picks up the detonator. Morgan, Reid, and the other agents manage to escape before she detonates the bombs, killing herself, any agents left in the building, and the remaining cult members.
Benjamin molested the majority of his victims, young girls. When he physically attacked his victims, he would beat them to the point of near-unconsciousness, or when feeling insulted, he would hit them in genitals. He was also armed with an AKMSU carbine rifle and a .45-caliber Smith & Wesson 4506 pistol, which he likely used to murder anyone who continued rebelling against him or proved to be a threat to his power.
- Benjamin is likely based on the real-life cult leader David Koresh. Similarities between the two include:
- Both were self-proclaimed messiahs and leaders of self-sustaining cults located in rural areas with their own compounds.
- There were allegations of child abuse against them (Koresh and Cyrus both had young wives), leading to standoffs with federal authorities and ending with the mass deaths of multiple members of both cults.
- Both were born of young single mothers.
- Both were said to be good at memorizing portions of the Bible.
- Both got the previous leaders of their cults thrown out before taking charge themselves.
- Both had been incarcerated or institutionalized.
- Unspecified dates: Numerous unnamed girls (molested) ◾
- 2008: ◾October 7: Emily Prentiss (held hostage and assaulted)
- October 8: Spencer Reid (also held hostage and assaulted)