Boolossus, the "Jumbo Ghost", is the secondary antagonist in the videogame Luigi's Mansion. It is a gargantuan Boo composed of fifteen smaller Boos, serving as the third boss of the game.
It was one of the ghosts caught by Professer E. Gadd who turned it into a painting, along with many other ghosts of the mansion. This resulted in King Boo attacking E. Gadd's lab out of anger, freeing Boolossus and ordering the rest of the Boos to free the rest of E. Gadd's portrait ghosts in the mansion. Once freed, King Boo creates a large mansion within the span of a single night just outside E. Gadd's lab, where the rest of the portrait ghosts and Boolossus reside. Boolossus waits on the large balcony on the third floor of the mansion. Should Luigi attempt to access the balcony with less than twenty Boos captured, then he will be sent back to the foyer by Boolossus until he captures at least twenty Boos.
Once Luigi reaches the balcony, he will find the fifteen Boos which form Boolossus together in a circle awaiting Luigi's arrival. Together, they surround and frighten Luigi by circling and enclosing their circle around him. With Luigi in their grasp, the Boos teleport him to a dimensional version of the balcony and combine their strength to become Boolossus. Boolossus is at first a massive and slow Boo that tries to crush Luigi by bouncing on him. Luigi must force Boolossus to touch the horn of one of the two unicorn ice sculptures to break it into the smaller Boos. Luigi then must suck up a Ice Elemental Ghost and spray the Boos with ice to freeze them and suck them up. After a while, the Boos will form Booslossus again. It grows smaller and faster as more Boos are defeated, and the Boos are more hasty to avoid the ice beams. Once the last Boo is sucked up, Boolossus is once again returned to its painting.
- Boolossus is a combination of the name "Boo" and the word "colossus".
- Boolossus appears in the Mario UNO cards on the "Draw 4" card.
- The name "Boolossus" also literally translates to "Giant Boo".
- In the PAL version of Luigi's Mansion, Luigi rides around on top of the Poltergust 3000 during the Boolossus battle within the Hidden Mansion. This provides faster transportation, but also less traction. However, this doesn’t happen in any version of the Nintendo 3DS edition.
- Boolossus is the only Portrait Ghost to not have HP.
- Along with King Boo, Boolossus is one of the two only Boos that are Portrait Ghosts.
- Oddly, Boolossus is Ghost #22 in the gallery even though he is the 16th ghost caught.
- Boolossus has other two names, "Jumbo Boo" ("Janbo Teresa" in Japanese) and "Buulussus" (in German and later translated to English).
- Boolossus bears a resemblance to Big Boo from Super Mario 64.
|Luigi's Mansion Villains|
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon