Aside from Baroque Works, the CP9 are the longest-running antagonists in the series. Unlike other CP groups, they have had a much more prominent role in the series. They are shadowy assassins who kill anyone that opposes the World Government.
The CP9 are based in Enies Lobby's Tower of Justice, where they act as the final guardians of the Gate of Justice. It has been said that Enies Lobby's reputation of being impossible to conquer is due to the generations of Cipher Pol, and their strength. Due to their extreme power, it seems that they all have rather arrogant and pompous attitudes; because of this, members of CP9 absolutely refuse to believe that "pirate scum" (no matter how powerful) could defeat them, which ultimately caused their downfall. It was also stated that this generation of CP9 is the strongest in its history. Every member also has an animal theme, much like the Shichibukai:
- Spandam: Panda
- Funkfreed: Elephant
- Rob Lucci: Leopard
- Kaku: Giraffe
- Kalifa: Sheep
- Blueno: Bull
- Jabra: Wolf
- Kumadori: Lion
- Fukuro: Owl
- Hattori: Pigeon
- Nero: Sea Weasel - a low ranking and temporary recruit. Expelled after failing his mission. See the article for more information.
- Leaders: Spandine (1502-1514), Spandam (1514-1522)
- Members: Lucci (former), Kaku (former), Jyabura(former), Blueno(former), Kumadori(former), Fukurou(former), Kalifa(former), Nero
- First Appearance: Chapter 325; Episode 230
- Chapters Active: 332 to 428
- Mission: To acquire the blueprint for Pluton and retrieve Nico Robin to locate it and to eliminate her.
- Status: Defeated by the Straw Hat Pirates, all members inactive
Privileges of CP9
CP9 has special privileges not available to normal Cipher Pol squadrons, like the ability to kill any person perceived as a threat to world stability.
More recently, CP9 was gifted, under the authority of Admiral Aokiji, the ability to initiate a Buster Call. The Buster Call granted them a powerful strike force of ten warships which hunt down and destroy any particular criminal group unfortunate enough to be targeted, along with the island.
Big Mom Pirates