This Villain was proposed and approved by Villains Wiki's Pure Evil Proposals Thread. Any act of removing this villain from the category without a Removal Proposal shall be considered vandalism (or a futile "heroic" attempt of redemption) and the user will have high chances of being
|This article's content is marked as Mature|
The page Mature contains mature content that may include coarse language, sexual references, and/or graphic violent images which may be disturbing to some. Mature pages are recommended for those who are 18 years of age and older.
If you are 18 years or older or are comfortable with graphic material, you are free to view this page. Otherwise, you should close this page and view another page.
|“||I was hollowed out inside... empty... just like my other. We were both sick... because we were incomplete... but not anymore. We healed each other... Made each other whole. Neither one of us can survive without the other. Forget host. Forget symbiote. There is only Carnage.||„|
|~ Carnage states who he is.|
|“||I am the ultimate insanity! I am CARNAGE!||„|
|“||Did you know that my mother went through electroshock treatments when she was pregnant with me? This was before they would sedate you for that kind of thing... and then, you know... I died minutes after I was born... went to Hell... came back... that whole thing... I've had therapists try to tell me that these "early traumas" led me to being... the way I am. I've heard it all, you know... I'm this way because of abuse, because of video games, or sex and violence on TV, because of guns and knives and the wickedness of this mean old world. But what none of them get... is those things didn't make me what I am. I am made... of them. I am abuse. I am sex and violence. I am the guns and knives and the wickedness of this mean @#$%#&% world... you know my name. Now scream it.||„|
Cletus Kasady, also known as Carnage and later Dark Carnage, is a major antagonist from Marvel Comics, serving as the secondary antagonist of the Spider-Man franchise and the central antagonist of the Venom comic book series, as well as the titular main antagonist of the Absolute Carnage storyline. He is a deranged serial killer who bonded with a symbiote, turning him into a vicious supervillain.
|“||I've shown you the worst things in the world, because that's what the world's made of. Everything is sick! Am I getting through to you? Everything is sick... and I LOVE IT!||„|
Even when he was a toddler, Cletus showed psychopathic and sadistic traits: he was completely unemotional and remorseless individual who took great pleasure in killing his own mother's pet and grandmother, and even tried to kill his mother that encites the tense argument that led to his mother's death and his father's incarceration. The said negative traits escalated to more catastrophic scale over time during his stay in St. Estes Home for Boys, as abuse that Cletus received further made him even more evil that he acquired philosophy that life was essentially meaningless and futile, that "laws are only words", and came to see the spreading of chaos through random, unpatterned bloodshed as "the ultimate freedom".
When becoming Carnage, his sadism and depravity proved to be one of his greatest assets: his symbiote, which spawned from Venom's by the time it freed Brock from the prison, would feed on his hatred and rage over the world as fuel to enhanced its powers. Not just sadistic and cruel, Kasady also become a completely treacherous, horrifying, and depraved supervillain who proved to be an extremely despicable and dangerous advesary for both his worst enemies, Spider-Man and Venom.
Cletus Kasady is schizophrenic, enabling him to activate extra-terrestrial episodes of paranoia and delusion to transform into the demonic alien symbiote of Carnage. The symbiote has a considerably stronger bond with Kasady than its father has with its hosts. This is indicated by the fact that Kasady has predominantly used the term "I", as opposed to his father's use of "we". However, even though the bond between host and symbiote is strong, it has left Kasady several times to find more powerful hosts. It has bounded with John Jameson, Ben Reily (at the time referred to as Spider-Carnage) and the Silver Surfer (forming The Carnage Cosmic) but it always ended up back on Kasady is if it were his familiar. Eventually it and Kasady met their end while escaping "The Raft", a prison for super powered people. He was ripped apart by Sentry in outer space. The symbiote survived by becoming dormant and returned to Earth, but was found by Michael Hall, who used the symbiote to create prosthesis and super-guards. The Doppelganger and Shriek return, hoping to repair the symbiote.
Powers and Abilities
|“||Venom: He's a lout. An uncouth loner. Even when I invited him to join my hourly exercise sessions, he preferred to lie on his bunk to heavy metal music, so loud that I could hear it from his headphones!
Spider-Man: He never exercised? So how come he seems even stronger than you?
Venom: Perhaps my other spawn took our strength with it! Added it to Kasady's own maniacal might!
|~ Discussion between Spidey and Venom about how Carnage is stronger than them.|
As Eddie Brock explained, the Carnage symbiote was born with abilities even more singular than those of its progenitor due to the fact that it gestated in an environment alien to it—Earth. As result, Carnage is capable to utilize his powers in a trickier and deadlier manner than Venom would, in spite of inheriting latter's powers. Kasady himself lacked superpowers of his own, but his insanity and murderous urge acts as fuel to bolster his and symbiote's strengths, making them challenging adversary even for Venom and Spider-Man himself.
- ESP (Spider-Sense): Like Venom and Spider-Man, Carnage possesses ESP ability due to his symbiote can relay information to him from any angle and grants Kasady the ability to "see" in any direction, warning him of any danger and threat. This power even more efficient than Spider-Man's and Venom's because it able to discern the specific nature of impending threats and conduct him in plenty of time.
- Immunity to Spider-Sense: Due to gestated from the very symbiote that once possessed Spider-Man, Carnage is capable of attacking Spider-Man without alerting him. Surprisingly, after encountered both Spidey and Venom, Carnage also able to adjusted this power so he also simultaneously not alarmed Venom whenever he attempted to attacked him.
- Wall-Crawling: Much like Spider-Man and his symbiote parent Venom, Carnage has the ability to cling to any surface. He can rapidly crawl, walk, or run across even slick/wet surfaces.
- Haemokinetic Shapeshifting: Because his symbiote was mixed with his bloodstream during the bonding process, said symbiote's inherent shapeshifting abilities became enhanced that Carnage can manipulate blood in addition of the symbiote's own mass. In fact, he can restore his symbiote back to full health by bleeding alone.
- Blood Weapon Constructs: Carnage can fashion weapons, tendrils, and other objects out of his symbiote-infused blood.
- Symbiotic Costume: Carnage can envelop his body within a sentient, malleable but durable suit complete with eyes, claws and a mouth with powerful jaws and sharp teeth while increasing the body mass, turning him into powerful opponent.
- Construct Creation: Carnage can create weapons from his blood-infused mass, including blades, flails, darts, spikes, and claws. Said constructs can be detached from his body as projectiles or thrown weapons where they disintegrate few seconds after being separated from his body, preventing his foes from using said constructs against him.
- Blood Web Generation: Carnage can project organic web-like substance on the same vein with Venom, though his version of said ability much more advanced since he can manipulate the web's trajectory like guided missiles since the substance is made of his symbiote-infused blood.
- Tentacle Extension: Carnage can also form tentacles out of his blood-infused symbiote mass at will.
- Clothing Generation: Carnage can also fashion clothings out of his blood-infused symbiote mass in rare occasions.
- Stretching and Deforming: Carnage has full control over the size, shape, color (usually red and black), texture, and hardness of his symbiote (and any part thereof). He is even able to use this ability in full effect both for defense by deflect bullets and other projectiles and offensive manner by using his foe's strengths against them (an instance can be seen when Spidey goes for aiding Venom whom held Carnage as he is beating him, Carnage retaliates by deforming his body to ensnare and tossed his opponent aside simultaneously).
- Blood Weapon Constructs: Carnage can fashion weapons, tendrils, and other objects out of his symbiote-infused blood.
- Superhuman Durability: Carnage can withstand greater punishment than normal humans, with his durability becomes enhanced with use of his symbiotic costume.
- Regenerative Healing Factor: He is able to rapidly regenerate damaged body tissues much faster and more extensively than any ordinary human is capable of and even lost or destroyed tissues that would be fatal to ordinary humans. He can fully regenerate severed limbs or missing internal organs. He was fitted with artificial legs after being torn apart by the Sentry, but this occurred while he was separated from the symbiote.
- Disease Immunity: Kasady is also immune to the effects of all Earthly diseases and infections as long as he remains bonded with the symbiote.
- Superhuman Strength: Carnage was surprisingly stronger than combined forces of Spider-Man and Venom. This quite interesting due to the fact that during the time he and Brock spent their time in prison, Brock stated that Kasady preferred to be lazy than performing exercize, which means his strengths purely came from his symbiote.
- Superhuman Speed: Carnage can run and move at speeds superior to these of any normal human being.
- Superhuman Agility: Carnage's agility, balance, and bodily coordination are all enhanced to levels that are beyond the natural physical limits of the finest human athlete, even more than Venom and Spider-Man.
- Memory Implantation: Carnage's tendrils can be used to plant thoughts into a person's head, and is typically used to drive them insane from experiencing his nihilistic worldview.
- Adaptive: Carnage's symbiote can rapidly adapt to new environments; when Kasady was taken into space by the Sentry, the Carnage symbiote was able to save his life by growing small sacks around his mouth that converted carbon dioxide into oxygen, allowing Kasady to stay alive long enough for him to be recovered.
- Insanity Empowerment: It should be noted that prior to bonded by newborn symbiote of Venom's, Kasady lacks superpower of his own, but has a maniacal will and insane worldview that he has had from the age of 8 years old onward. As result, when Kasady merges with the offspring of Venom's symbiote and become Carnage, the said symbiote would feed of his hatred and rage to the world, resulting him stronger tenfold, something which enable him to easily overpowered both Venom and Spidey at once.
- Extreme Heat: Carnage's symbiote, like Venom's, was weak against extreme heat, but not as much as the latter: When Spider-Man electrocuted him on the electrified trail, Carnage was briefly weakened by the burns, but it's also angered him as he retaliates by slamming them against the wall.
- Loud Vibrations: With loud vibrations on the other hand, Carnage was proved to be worse than Venom. For example, Vibranium is effective to the symbiote separating from its host.
- Kasady's Insanity: While insanity is what empowered him as Carnage, Kasady's madness turned out to be his own weakness at the same time. His mental pathologies can also be exploited (if done properly), allowing people to manipulate his actions and even defeating him.
The Ultimate Marvel Universe version of Carnage is self-regenerating form of life based on the symbiotic suit research of Richard Parker. He is created by Curt Connors to replace the missing Venom "suit" by using the the same process to create Venom, his own DNA, and the DNA of Peter Parker.
Using some of Peter's memories, it travels to Peter's home and kills Gwen Stacy. It battles Peter, who eventually manages to kill it. Doctor Octopus later creates a new Carnage that takes on the form of Gwen Stacy. It has the memories of Gwen and attempts to reunite with Peter. It eventually returns to its Carnage form when confronted by S.H.I.E.L.D., and is eventually taken into their custody. Carnage later escapes during the Green Goblin's escape.
During the "War of the Symbiotes" arc, the Carnage symbiote squares off with it's forerunner in a no-holds-barred, one-on-one duel to the death that lasts an issue, which ends with Eddie defeating Carnage and absorbing the symbiote, allowing him total control over the suit.
- Carnage was created by David Michelinie and Mark Bagley.
- Carnage's personality drastically "changed" in AXIS storyline when he became a noble "hero" and sacrificed himself to stop Red Skull, but that is not his true personality. This "change" was merely caused by an altering spell cast by Doctor Doom and Scarlet Witch in order to gain allies for stopping Red Skull, not by a genuine change of heart within Kasady.
- Carnage returned to his true personality of being a psychotic mass murderer as soon as he revived and freed from the spell. He soon completely abandoned his "heroic" traits during the time he was brainwashed, instead of accepting it as a change of heart.
- Cletus Kasady's personality, and to a certain extent, his physical appearance while human, was derived from that of The Joker. Coincidentally, one of the villains in the TV series Gotham, Jerome Valeska (who is heavily implied to either be a younger version of the Joker himself or at the very least responsible for his eventual creation) has a passing resemblance to Cletus Kasady.
- Cameron Monaghan was also suspected to be playing Cletus Kasady in the Venom movie, but the role eventually went to Woody Harrelson.
- Carnage and Joker actually met in a Spider-Man/Batman crossover, where Carnage idol-worshipped the clown prince until he was insulted as to his "lack of art". Batman commented on the chilling effect Carnage's presence caused even him.
- Cletus Kasady and Carnage had been primarily created to essentially create a darker version of Venom, as they had initially kill off Eddie Brock, the host of the venom parasite, although Venom and Eddie Brock's popularity ended up preventing him from being killed off (not to mention Venom and Eddie Brock being developed to be more anti-villains than true villains).
- He was voiced by Scott Cleverdon in 1994 Spider-Man, and by Dee Bradley Baker in the 2000 Spider-Man.
- Recently, Kasady has become a creature named Poison Carnage, although he returned to normal in the aftermath of the Venomized miniseries.
- After Venom got his own spin-off series and having his own supporting, Carnage became his arch-enemy and most prominent foe.
- IGN ranked Carnage as #90th on their Greatest Comic Book Villain list.
- Carnage fought Lucy from Elfen Lied, in ScrewAttack's DEATH BATTLE and lost.
- Outside of Cletus Kasaday, the Carnage symbiote has bonded with other hosts such as Ben Riley, Karl Malus and Norman Osborn.