|“||I'm fulfilling my destiny!||„|
|~ Cassandra betraying Rapunzel.|
|“||I tried to warn you, Rapunzel. You have to be careful who you trust.||„|
|~ Cassandra, after her betrayal.|
|“||You want me to be the bad guy? Fine, now I'm the bad guy!||„|
|~ Cassandra rising her power|
Cassandra is the tritagonist of Disney's Tangled animated franchise.
She initially starts off as the tritagonist of Tangled: The Series, serving as Rapunzel's Lady-in-Waiting and one of her closest friends in season 1 and season 2, but by the near end of season 2, she eventually betrays Rapunzel and Eugene by taking the Moon Stone for herself so she could fulfill her own "destiny" and becomes the main antagonist of the first half of the third season and the central antagonist/deuteragonist villain of the second half until her redemption in the series finale. She is also a protagonist in the Tangled The Series comics which feature her before she turns evil.
She was voiced by Eden Espinosa as a young adult who is best known as Elphaba Thropp for the Broadway, Los Angeles, and San Francisco productions of the musical Wicked, and Cassie Glow and Hudson D'Andrea as a child in "You're Kidding Me!", "Rapunzel's Return", and "Islands Apart".
Cassandra is a pale-skinned medium height young woman with dark pink lips, hazel eyes, and chin-length black hair with gray highlights.
When Cassandra is wearing her handmaiden outfit. It's a light blue and white dress with yellow stripes across the middle and two in between her legs and also with a white choker around her neck and a white headdress with a yellow ring on the top.
When she is wearing her signature warrior outfit, she wears a grayish-brown shirt with a reddish one underneath, she also wears black leather gloves, a dark brown belt with a purse and a dagger inside her belt, and she also wears dark and striped leggings with many colors, and she also wears brown boots.
When she is on the Lorbs Island, she wears a brown shirt similar to the one she usually wears but without the red one under it. she also wears brown and blue cufflinks, and a brown and light brown slit with brown pants.
After Cassandra's right arm is burnt when she touches Rapunzel while she performs the Decaying Incantation, to cover her hand she wears some knights armor with a red cape.
After Cassandra is corrupted by the Moonstone Opal, her appearance changes drastically. Her hair and eyes both turn turquoise with cyan stripes and her clothes turn black with dark blue stripes around her. She wears a blue glove on her right arm with spikes similar to the Black Rocks. The Moonstone Opal itself becomes embedded in her chest and it is constantly glowing as well.
Throughout Season 3, her skin tone becomes paler, but it's unknown why this is happening.
After she loses the moonstone, she has her original suit, but it's completely gray with black stripes around it and a black hole in it where the moonstone used to be.
Later Cassandra sported a green tunic similar looking to her season one outfit, a black cape, black pants, and dark brown boots, along with her Cassandrium Necklace on her neck.
Cassandra is described as being "tough-as-nails", a fitting description for someone who wishes to join the royal guard. She is snarky, sarcastic and has a somewhat dry sense of humor. Despite this, she is extremely supportive and protective toward Rapunzel, her polar opposite — so much so, that she openly holds animosity for Eugene, believing him to be selfish and undeserving of Rapunzel's love and friendship. One of the reasons for this belief is because she feels Eugene puts his own desires before Rapunzel's.
Although loyal to King Fredrick and Queen Arianna, Cassandra is willing to break their rules (and risk her job) for the sake of Rapunzel's happiness; this is seen when Cassandra offered to take Rapunzel beyond the kingdom's wall to explore some of the outside world and escape the pressures of royalty. Doing so required much stealth and cunning, traits Cassandra revealed herself to have that night.
Aside from her no-nonsense persona, Cassandra is also shown to be a free spirit, not unlike Rapunzel. Though she has a more cynical way of going about life, Cassandra also finds joy in adventure, living life to the fullest, and experiencing new things. This is most notably seen during "Wind in My Hair", where Cassandra is seen enjoying herself almost as much as Princess Rapunzel.
In "Challenge of the Brave", it is revealed that Cassandra has insecurities about how she is seen just as a girl/handmaiden instead of a strong, skilled, and capable warrior who deserves as much respect as anyone in the royal guard, this would later contribute to her fall to villainy. These things can at times cause her to act selfishly and make her unable to be able to ask for help sometimes.
Cassandra also holds a strong belief that strangers can't be trusted, like for example when the group first meet Adira she immediately didn't trust her and still didn't even when she proved herself and saved her life and even after she revealed everything to them.
She also shares a strong rivalry with Eugene due to his past as a thief tying into her trust issues but over the course of the series, she becomes a lot nicer to him as well, at least for a while.
Through Season 2 her insecurities and feeling of constantly feeling outshined by Rapunzel cause their relationship to become strained. This only got worse when she discovered her true backstory in the House of Yesterday's Tomorrow and that Gothel choose Rapunzel over her making her steal the moonstone and become a full-fledged villain.
Despite all of this, Cassandra is still shown to have some good in her as she repeatedly reconsiders her path but is constantly turned back to darkness by the Enchanted Girl. This is especially shown in the episode "Be Very Afraid" where it established the only reason the red rocks form is due to her fear of the idea of destroying Rapunzel, as they are connected to her emotions. Her newfound vulnerability has also caused her to become gullible, as she never asks Zhan Tiri for her name or questions her motives.
After "Cassandra's Revenge", she becomes even more ruthless and malicious than before fueled by her hated and Zhan Tiri's manipulation. Like threatening Corona if Rapunzel does not comply with her demands. Threatening to kill Eugene to force Rapunzel to fight. And leaving Rapunzel to die in cave after setting off the poisonous gas to have Rapunzel slowly die. Although even then there are still some things she is unwilling to do like killing Varian, at least until "Once a Handmaiden...".
For a long time, Cassandra also refused to take responsibility for her own actions, blaming them all on Rapunzel and getting angry when people call her a villain. For example, she continuously blames Rapunzel for Gothel abandoning her, even though Rapunzel was a baby at the time, was taken away from her against her will and had suffered for 18 years under Gothel's abuse.
In "Once a Handmaiden...", Cassandra finds out that the Enchanted Girl was actually Zhan Tiri, which made her remorseful over her actions. After she tries to make amends with Rapunzel and the rest of the Corona, she falls into Zhan Tiri's manipulation once again before she turns back on her again and takes over Corona.
In "Plus Est en Vous", Cassandra initially seems to have abandoned all good in her, except for sparing Rapunzel's vase made by her aunt Willow. She also lost trust in Zhan Tiri presumably blaming her for her turning evil. Cassandra gets super close to killing Rapunzel and taking the Sundrop for herself. But then Zhan Tiri betrays her and takes the Moonstone and Sundrop from her and Rapunzel. This causes Cassandra to break down cry and finally apologize to Rapunzel. But when Rapunzel tells her that there is more in her this instills new confidence in Cassandra which has her team up with Rapunzel and finally defeat Zhan Tiri leading to her redemption.
All-in-all, Cassandra is a deeply complex character, starting off as a loyal friend to Rapunzel with good intentions, but is often misguided by her insecurities and pride. Throughout season 2, she develops an inferiority complex as she is constantly undermined by others (including Rapunzel), making her question her self-worth. After seeing Gothel abandon her for Rapunzel during a journey through her memories, Cassandra fully embraces her more evil side and spends all of season 3 developing into a villain, though in the end she is still shown to have some good in her and is eventually able to redeem herself.
Powers and Abilities
- Sewing: When Cassandra was Rapunzel handmaiden, she was able to sew Rapunzel's clothes extremely well.
- Fighting skills: Cassandra is a skilled swordswoman and fighter, having trained in the ways of the Corona Royal Guard since she was six years old. For example:
- Swordsmanship: Cassandra is shown to be extremely good with swords. As she has a whole collection of them and always has one on her back. She has also stood up to many people in sword combat and used her sword to cut eight perfect slices of an apple.
- Archery: During "Challenge of the Brave", she uses a bow during one of her challenges and is extremely good at using it.
- Martial arts: During some of Cassandra's fights, she pulls out some martial arts.
- Acting Skills: Cassandra is shown to have decent acting skills as she uses it to trick Andrew into believing she loved him and that she hadn't caught on to his plans.
She is adept with many types of weapons, as shown through her collection of them in Before Ever After. For example:
- Swords: She has a giant collection of swords and always carries one around.
- Moonstone Opal: When Cassandra grabbed the moonstone, it was embedded in her chest. She later has the moonstone stolen by Zhan Tiri and then it ends up going back to the heavens.
- Shadow Blade: When Cassandra and Adira were fighting, she grabs Adria's shadow blade taking it for herself. It is later broken my Rapunzel in the final episode.
- Mind-Trap: She steals the mind-trap from the spire which she uses to control the entire brotherhood. It later ends up destroyed by King Edmund.
- Shapeshifting Cloak: When Cassandra stole the Shapeshifting Cloak, she could use it to shapeshift into anyone. like for example; The Keeper and Faith.
When Cassandra she gains a few powers related to it. For example:
- Life-draining: She most likely gained the life-draining abilities that it possesses, as shown through its power coursing through her hair, through she never attempted to use it or the decay incantation.
- Control over the black rocks: she also gained the ability to summon the black rocks tied to her emotions. and when she learned the incantation her ability to summon the black rocks got even better as she was able to build an entire castle out of black rocks.
After Zhan Tiri takes the moonstone from her, she loses her moonstone abilities.
- More Skilled Fighters: While an extremely good fighter she is not unbeatable, as she is overwhelmed by warriors who have trained longer than she herself has been alive, like Adira and King Edmund of the Dark Kingdom.
- Insecurity and Jealousy: It was her biggest weakness. The biggest example is that her insecurity and jealousy led to her letting rage cloud her mind and prevented her from seeing what she really needed, something which Zhan Tiri would later use to her advantage. Because of this, it caused her to betray Rapunzel in until her redemption in the series finale.
- The Sundrop: When she had the moonstone, the Sundrop was the only thing that was able to negate her powers, especially after Rapunzel, uses the incantation.
- Cassandra had been training to join the Royal Guard since she was six.
- She is four years older than Rapunzel.
- An extremely popular fan theory is that she is Mother Gothel's daughter. It's confirmed to be true in the first episode of Season 3.
- Despite claiming she and Varian aren't the same, she shares similarities with Varian as both lost their parents (Cassandra lost her mother after she kidnapped Rapunzel and Varian lost his father as he got trapped inside the amber) and used to be Rapunzel's ally, but they turned against her due to their desire for vengeance against her (Cassandra wanting to get revenge on Rapunzel for being chosen by Gothel over her, believing that Gothel truly loved her, while Varian wanted to get revenge on Rapunzel for a refusal to help him free his father Quirin), not to mention they're unaware that Zhan Tiri manipulated them both. Both also join forces with villains (Zhan Tiri for Cassandra and the Separatists of Saporia for Varian), only for them to betray their respective villainous allies. However, while Varian wanted to free his loved one from imprisonment, Cassandra's motivations were merely for her own benefits. Fortunately, both of them felt remorse over their actions and managed to redeem themselves by making amends with Rapunzel as their antagonistic role was only temporary. Additionally, a few of Cassandra's actions towards Rapunzel, Corona and the people that the princess cares about were somewhat similar to the ones that Varian had done in "Secret of the Sun Drop".
- In the same episode, both Cassandra and Varian fall off Cassandra's Stronghold. However, Varian fell into the arms of Lance, whereas Cassandra had to save herself using her powers. This reflects how Varian turning back to the side of good has caused him to be surrounded by friends once more, but Cassandra's path of hatred and darkness has left her with no one but herself.
- During the episode "Islands Apart", Cassandra's skin seems to be getting paler. It has been suspected by fans that the Moonstone Opal is slowly consuming and possibly killing her.
- Cassandra's line, "You want me to be the bad guy? Fine, now I'm the bad guy." are the exact same words her mother said when she finally revealed her true nature to Rapunzel in the original Tangled film.