|“||Sounds good...The baked sweets from that country were the best. I bet the country must have smelled delicious after it was all burnt down...It's a shame really.||„|
|~ Big Mom to Bobbin about the condition of an Island she ordered her men to destroy.|
|“||Bring me sweets! If you do, I'll make a promise with you! A promise of peace! And of a dream country! If you listen to what I say, you will all live happily! And if you don't listen... you're being selfish! And I'm gonna kill you!||„|
|~ Charlotte Linlin.|
|“||This insolent pirate that ate my sweets intrigues me! Forget Fishman Island, now that you've chosen to go against me I'll just have to get my revenge on you instead! Well then Monkey D. Luffy, now that I know who you are, come here. Let's chat in the New World!||„|
|~ Big Mom over a Transponder Snail responding to Luffy challenging her and eating her candy.|
|“||I'm here, Kaido! Just you wait, Straw Hat! Zeus! You're coming back to me, too!||„|
|~ Big Mom when arriving at Wano.|
Charlotte Linlin (in Japanese: シャーロット・リンリン, Shārotto Rinrin), also known as Big Mom, is a major antagonist in the manga and anime series One Piece. She is the main antagonist of the Whole Cake Island Arc, a major antagonist of Wano Country Arc, and one of the central antagonists of the Yonko Saga.
She is the captain of the Big Mom Pirates, one of the Yonko, the matriarch of the Charlotte Family, and queen of Totto Land. She was once a part of the Rocks Pirates along with Kaido, 40 years ago until they were defeated by both Gol D. Roger and Monkey D. Garp. She recently formed an alliance with him and his crew to take over the world before ending their alliance and continue to kill each other. Her bounty is one of the highest bounties in the world at 4,388,000,000 berries.
She is voiced first by the late Toshiko Fujita and later Mami Koyama in the Japanese version of the anime, and by Pam Dougherty in the English dubbed version of the anime.
Big Mom is portrayed as a gluttonous and greedy individual who really enjoys her candy and sweets. Unlike Whitebeard who protects the islands without anything in return, she only cares about the candy the islands give her so that she can protect them. Big Mom can be very sinister since she would destroy an entire island with innocent civilians if she does not receive the tons of candy the island promised her. She feels that a deal is a deal and if a deal cannot be made then everyone including the dealer on the island should be destroyed. Overall, she seems to believe in not helping anyone unless she herself gets something out of it.
Big Mom is obsessed with having power, as she will not hesitate to marry off her children to bolster her crew. She also has a strong value towards blood relations, as she views anyone that is not blood-related, like her husband, as outsiders and strangers. In fact, she did not hesitate to abandon her husbands and cast them aside after getting more children and was more than content with their deaths. Overall, despite being the mother of several children, Big Mom seems to only value them in strengthening her crew in the process. Big Mom (along with Kaido) are obsessed of Ancient Weapons (Poseidon, Pluton and Uranus) of willing to use them to wage war against the World Government.
Big Mom is also willing to murder any of her children that had left her by sending a hired assassin such as Lola who betrayed her in the past and was willing to force Nami to tell her where Lola was located to do so (something that Lola is completely unaware of). This hatred resulted in her physically abusing Lola's twin sister Chiffon due to their resemblance which resulted in Chiffon turning against Big Mom in secret and participating alongside her husband Capone Bege's plan to assassinate her mother. She is also partly hypocritical, as she is only willing to maintain alliances that personally suit her. Big Mom is willing to betray any allies that she has little use for and is also willing to go back on her word if necessary such as with the Vinsmoke Family and the Straw Hat Pirates.
Like Akainu, Big Mom is a provoker when mocked Luffy by calling him a coward to get him to fight her.
Despite her cruel and unsympathetic nature, Big Mom cares for Mother Carmel, the woman who nurtured her when she was a child. She has dedicated her life to Mother Carmel's ideas of a place where all races of people can live in peace. Big Mom has a deep connection to Mother Carmel and cherishes the portrait of her. She is willing to attack anyone if they happen to touch the portrait randomly. Despite not caring too much for her children's safety and well-being and being overall violent, she genuinely likes Mother Carmel.
Big Mom has shown to be merciful for the rare and mysterious creatures as she only wants to capture them alive to add them to her collections rather than killing as she wants to capture Brook alive even though she is not going to forgive the Straw Hat Pirates. She only let anyone go back safety if they paid the price such as when Pedro offered his eye to her by take only 50 years of his lifespan.
It is because of Mother Carmel that Big Mom believes that all races should live together in her kingdom and supports the idea of racial equality. However, in return for the protection, she requires all her residence to give a piece of their souls every six months as compensation so that they can live safely in Totto Land. Big Mom also seems to have a strong disdain for giants as Vinsmoke Judge points out that there are no giants in Totto Land which made her mad at him. Because of her bad history on Elbaf in the past and not having the giants as an ally to take down the other emperors, Big Mom holds a strong dislike for giants in general.
Due to her obsession with Germa's science technologies, Big Mom is also manipulative when she pretended to be friendly and formed an alliance. In her truth, the alliance was faked and the wedding was rigged as Big Mom has no uses for Judge or his family. She lied to Sanji about her promise of letting Luffy and the others live peacefully and intended to kill his crew due to them eating the sweets in Fishman Island and defeated Cracker. She intended to use the Vinsmokes to get her hand on their weapons and technologies.
When Big Mom is rampaging because of not having a certain food to eat, she is shown to be violent, dangerous, and destructive to everyone around her and is most likely to attack anyone regardless if they are her enemies or not. Despite rampaging and seemingly losing her ability to tell who is her family or not, Big Mom is capable of identifying people she is familiar with like Pudding but will not restrain herself from attacking them either. Also despite rampaging, she has an understanding of what she is doing and how significant her actions can be such as telling Jinbe that she would be forced to kill her eldest son, Perospero, if she found out he lied to her which she admits she would not want to do.
Big Mom cares a lot about her reputation and would get easily enraged when someone does something to ruin her built up a reputation. Because of Luffy's action on Whole Cake Island, Big Mom holds a special hatred for the young pirate and vows to go after him and kill him to fix her reputation. Big Mom also dislikes the news if it does not report anything in her favor. Big Mom is also willing to contact a Yonko, Kaido to set up an alliance for her own benefits.
Personality from Amnesia
After falling off the waterfall in an attempt to get into Wano Country and nearly drowning, Big Mom lost her memories. Unlike her original personality, she is shown to be jovial and friendly. She thanked Tsuru for the food she ate but kindly says it was not enough food for her. Like her original personality and how she was as a child, she is excited at wanting to get more food to eat. When she craves special food to eat, she would tell others how much she would like to eat it. Big Mom will attack anyone who refuses to give her the food she wants such as attacking Queen for refusing to give her O-Shirukos. When she does not get the food she wants such as the O-Shiruko, Big Mom would become enraged at the people who ate the food she wanted. Unlike her original personality who was selfish, Big Mom admits she wants the O-Shiruko so that she could also share it with the villagers she met. Despite losing her memories, Big Mom was wrathful when she lost the O-Shirukos and would go on a rampage when someone inconveniences her.
- 43 ex-husbands: Big Mom has no concerns for her former husbands as they now mean nothing to her. She only married them by abduction and bore children with them and later discarded them.
- Children: Big Mom does not show too much care for her children. While in her eating disorders, she has no qualms taking their lifespans. She doesn't justify her action of letting her children get abused by bullies in their childhood for their psychopathy even for her favorites. She forced her daughters to marry to gain strength within her crew. She is extremely supportive of her youngest daughter, Anana for her psychopathy of mutilating her stuffed animals with knives. She viewed Katakuri to be a "lowly child" of hers when she mistook his protection for her. Due to Lola's betrayal, Big Mom hates Lola and is willing to send assassins to kill her to search for her whereabouts. She even abused Chiffon for her resemblances to Lola and be willing to kill due to her being association for Bege's failed assassin plot. However, if one of her powerful children is defeated, she showed rage to deal with the latter.
Big Mom Pirates
- Big Mom Pirates: Big Mom gives commands over her subordinates. She orders them to what she wants.
- Rocks Pirates: Big Mom was once a member of the Rocks Pirates. It is unknown if she was loyal to her deceased captain, Rocks D. Xebec.
- Kaido: Big Mom and Kaido were once on the same crew called the Rocks Pirates in the past. In the present, they are not allies anymore. When Luffy claims to defeat Kaido, Big Mom said there is no hope to defeat him as she called Kaido a "thing". Kaido has shown not so much respect for Big Mom as he called her an "old hag". When Big Mom called Kaido of letting her kill Luffy, Kaido refused and threatened her to kill her if set foot on Wano. Big Mom isn't afraid and came to Wano with her strong children, but Kaido ordered his men to sink her ship before it would be an all-out war. When Big Mom is escorted to Onigashima, She and Kaido fought until an unknown reason they formed an alliance to conquer the entire world before they return to kill each other again. Kaido revealed during the announcement of the "New Onigashima Project" that his alliance with Big Mom and the Big Mom Pirates would involve finding the Ancient Weapons and the One Piece and waging a war on the world. Witnessing Kaido killed Kurozumi Orochi and announcing his new plans, Big Mom was laughed and expressed excitement.
- Edward Newgate/Whitebeard: Big Mom and Whitebeard were once on the same pirate crew called the Rocks Pirates. Big Mom mentioned Whitebeard about Lola's engage marriage for the Giants in her attempt to overthrow him.
- Other Yonko: Big Mom's desired to overthrow her fellow Yonko to become Pirate King.
- Monkey D. Luffy: After eating her sweets in Fishman island, Big Mom tells Luffy to come to the New World to settle scores with her. After arriving at Whole Cake Island, Big Mom greets Luffy with hostility by sending Cracker to deal with him. After Cracker's defeat, Big Mom sends her entire army to capture Luffy. After captured Luffy, Big Mom talked to him in her Den Den Mushi. When they clash in the Tea Party of Luffy's claim of dealing with her after Kaido, Big Mom tells him that he will never defeat Kaido and ensure to never leave her territory alive. After she failed attempt for execution on Luffy and manage to escape, Big Mom shown rage by leaving her territory to try to kill him of taking back her reputations. In her amnesia, she attacks Luffy after eating Shiroku until knock out to regain her memories and putting to sleep by Queen.
- Monkey D. Garp: Big Mom known Garp 40 years ago and aware of his relative of Luffy by addressing the young captain as Garp's grandson. She and the rest of the Rocks Pirates were defeated by Garp and Roger. When heard she and Kaido formed an alliance, Garp shown annoyed by the news.
- Jinbe: Jinbe was once her ally but betrayed her to side with Luffy. She failed to attempt to steal his lifespan due to his lack of fear toward her.
- Gol D. Roger: Big Mom has known Roger 40 years ago during her time with the Rocks Pirates before her defeat by Roger and Garp. During her time as captain of the Big Mom Pirates, Roger infiltrated her territory and treasure room and escaped her territory with a copy of the Road Poneglyph caused Big Mom in rage.
- Germa 66 and Vinsmoke Family: Big Mom acts to be friendly of forming an alliance with Vinsmoke Judge and his children. Until she revealed that she has no use of the family as Sanji's wedding was rigged for the Vinsmoke's Massacre. After showing her betrayal, She defeats Judge and his sons Niji and Yonji with ease.
- Giants: Due to the massacre of her eating disorders, the giants holds hatred toward Big Mom. Big Mom was hoping to become allies with the giants so that she could use their military power to take on the other Emperor's of the New World. Big Mom was willing to not honor her deal with the giants and was willing to use one of her twin daughters, Chiffon, since her other daughter Lola did not want to marry Loki. Big Mom was willing to trick the giants of Elbaf into getting into a treaty and an alliance. However, the giants realized Big Mom's trick and chose to not have any business with her again. For years, Big Mom harbored hatred for the giants and would get visibly upset over anyone bringing up the giants such as when Vinsmoke Judge brought up the giants. Despite her hatred and bigotry of the giants, she want to make her family as big as her through the giant experimentation with Caesar Clown's help.
- Brook: Despite of Being a Straw Hat Pirate member, Big Mom only wants to capture Brook alive to add him to her collection of rare and mysterious creatures even though she is not willing to forgive the Straw Hats for destroying the photograph of Mother Caramel.
- World Government and Marines: As a Yonko, Big Mom is an enemy of the Government and Marines as she is one of the greatest threats to their operations. 40 years ago, Big Mom and her crewmates (during her time with the Rocks Pirates) murdered many Celestial Dragons and their slaves before faced both Roger and Garp. The Government shown in fear with Big Mom formed an alliance with Kaido for their attempt to conquer the world as Rocks once attempted.
- Eustass Kid: Kid earned Big Mom's fury when he sank two of her allies' ships and injured one of her Sweet Commanders. Kid revealed he never was attempting to take Big Mom's head. When Big Mom is shown in Udon, Kid shown in shock seeing the Yonko. The kid showed in shock, even more, when heard Big Mom formed an alliance with Kaido.
- Trafalgar D. Water Law: Due to his allegiance with Luffy, Law made enemies with Big Mom. Law is shown in shock that Big Mom formed an alliance with Kaido.
- Pedro: Five years ago, Pedro invaded Totto land to attempt to copy Big Mom's Poneglyph. She attempted to kill Pedro and steal all of his 50 years lifespan for scarring Tamago. When Pedro offered his eye to Big Mom, she decided to reduce to 30 years and let Pedro go back to Zou.
Powers and Abilities
As a Yonko, Big Mom is known around the world and by the World Government as an extremely powerful individual. With her powers and influence, she rules over the archipelago, Totto Land, and many islands in the New World. Because of her powers, she is feared by many in the New World. According to the Gorosei, she is one of the few individuals who are powerful enough to defeat Marshall D. Teach.
Big Mom has immense physical strength and durability. Her skin is able to resist physical damage that would normally severely injure or kill anyone who is reckless. Her skin is able to resist gunfire, cannon fire, and other attacks without leaving a scratch on her body. With her immense strength, she can rampage throughout a town and destroy buildings by eating them. Despite her size, she can climb on top of the buildings. According to Capone Bege and Sanji, Big Mom's toughness skin is considered to be an iron balloon. Her strength even hurt Bege in his "Big Father" form and Queen one of three right-hand men of Kaido.
During her initial fight to the death with Kaido, Big Mom fought equally to her fellow Yonko.
When anyone damages the Mother Carmel photo, Big Mom would go mentally insane and begin screaming. Her unique scream is powerful enough to incapacitate anyone around since it is very loud. Her scream is also imbued with Conqueror's Haki which can knock out anyone near her and can even destroy incoming projectiles.
Devil Fruit AbilitiesBig Mom ate the Soru Soru no Mi (Soul Soul Fruit) allowing her to interact with the souls of anyone around her. She has the ability to take anyone's soul in the form of a lifespan and use it in any way. Throughout Totto Land, inanimate objects are given a piece of a person's soul and become a being known as a "homie". Big Mom is capable of summoning two of her homies known as Zeus and Prometheus. Zeus is capable of emitting and creating lightning while Prometheus is capable of creating fire. In battle, Big Mom uses both of them to fight against her enemies.
Like other devil fruits, Big Mom's weaknesses are drowning if she would fell into the water and Seastone when Queen and his subordinates detained her 100% pure Seastone chains which are strong enough to hold her.
Though Big Mom steals souls when those are afraid of her, but cannot steal their souls when anyone is not scared such as Jinbe.
With her special Homies, Prometheus and Zeus created from her very own soul, Big Mom can manipulate the weather. Whenever one of her Sweet Commanders were defeated, Big Mom showed her fury and use Prometheus and Zeus to cause a rainstorm to summon her entire army to deal with one who defeats the Sweet Commander.
Big Mom has tremendous swordsmanship when her Homie, Napoleon who can transform into either a cutlass, longsword, or heraldic seax.
She also has Conqueror's Haki as the queen of Totto Land. With her Conqueror's Haki, she can knock out any weak-willed person by exerting her will power. Big Mom also has Armament Haki which is powerful enough to take a full-force attack from Luffy in his gear fourth form without receiving an injury.
- Big Mom is the only Yonko who is a female.
- This makes her likely the most powerful female in the entire series.
- Before he met her, Sanji imagined Big Mom as a slim attractive woman.
- Ironically, when she was 28 years old, Big Mom was skinnier.
- In chapter 847, Big Mom had a conversation with Luffy and Nami where she revealed that she would have allied with a powerful force to take down the other Yonko and become the "Pirate King". Despite being a woman, the title "Pirate King" is gender-neutral and throughout the story, it is stated whoever finds the one piece treasure is given the title.
- There has been speculation that she accidentally ate Carmel and the Sheep House orphans which made them "disappear".
- Moments after Carmel and the children's disappearance, Linlin gained the Soul-Soul devil fruit. Carmel was the previous owner of the Soul-Soul Fruit.
- In the SBS of One Piece volume 88, Big Mom's height was revealed to be 880 centimeters or nearly 29 feet tall. She is the tallest member of the Big Mom Pirates and Charlotte Family. However compared to the giants whose average height is 12 meters, Big Mom is much shorter than them. And in One Piece, she is not considered or classified as an actual giant.
- Big Mom has 43 husbands and 85 children which makes up the Charlotte Family. Out of her 85 children, she has 46 sons and 39 daughters. Many of her children are also a part of her pirate group called the Big Mom Pirates.
- Big Mom also has grandchildren that are a part of the Charlotte Family but the number of grandchildren is not known. The only known grandchild that was shown in the Whole Cake Island Arc was Capone Pez (Capone Bege and Charlotte Chiffon's son).
- Only one of Big Mom's husbands, Pound, has been revealed in the Whole Cake Island Arc.
- Big Mom's marriage practice of having 43 husbands is known as polyandry where a woman has more than one husband.
- Big Mom's last known bounty was at 500,000,000 berries as a child. That is the highest known bounty for any child in the series.
- Big Mom along with Sabo are the two characters so far in One Piece to be affected by amnesia.
- Unlike Sabo, Big Mom lost her memory for a brief period of time. She lost her memory in chapter 931 and regain her memory in chapter 947. Her memory loss lasted for 16 chapters.
- Like most characters in One Piece, Big Mom has unique laughter. Her laughter is Mamamamama/Hahahahaha.