|“||Kachigga, kachigga! Say it with me! Kachigga-chigga-chigga!||„|
|~ Chick Hicks' catchphrase.|
Chick "Thunder" Hicks is a recurring antagonist in the Cars franchise. . He serves as the main antagonist of Pixar's 7th full-length animated feature film Cars and a minor character in its 2017 threequel Cars 3. He is a green race car who appears as the rival and now the arch-nemesis of Lightning McQueen. He is also the main antagonist of some of the video games.
In Cars, he was voiced by Michael Keaton, who also played Ken in Toy Story 3, Betelgeuse in Beetlejuice, The Vulture in Spider-Man: Homecoming, Carter Hayes in Pacific Heights, Raymond Sellars in the 2014 RoboCop, and V.A. Vandevere in the 2019 live action remake of Disney's Dumbo. In Cars 3, he was voiced by the Pixar employee Bob Peterson, who also played Geri in Geri's Game, Roz in the Monsters Inc. films, Mr. Ray in the Finding Nemo films, and Dug and Alpha in Up. In the Cars 2 video game, he was voiced by Eric Smitt. In Cars 3: Driven To Win, he was voiced by Jude Hilary.
- 1 Personality
- 2 Biography
- 3 Enemies
- 4 In other media
- 5 Quotes
- 6 Trivia
- 7 Navigation
Although highly talented and gifted at racing (he would not have maintained #2 spot as long as he had if he was not, which may have resulted from cheating), Chick Hicks is extremely rude, arrogant, conniving, self-centered, manipulative and focused on himself and winning, like McQueen himself. He often harasses others with his catchphrase "Ka-chicka.". This along with his ruthless methods eventually cost him his fans.
However, these traits are more exaggerated in Chick Hicks, and often make him more argumentative, ridiculous and obnoxious than his red counterpart is. Chick always brags about winning, and he is also shown to be a very sarcastic, unpleasant, treacherous, intimidating and formidable enemy. Having lived all of his career in the shadow of The King has made him bitter and devoid of any sense of fair play. One of his actions involved knocking the King (who was about to retire anyway) into the off-road.
Chick largely serves as a dark parallel to McQueen. They are both racers who dream of getting at Dinoco, which represents the peak of success. However, with the influence he got from Doc, Sally, and Mater, McQueen learned humility, compassion, and that there was more to life than fame and fortune after helping The King finish his race. On the other hand, Chick failed to learn the error of his ways and let his anger be his downfall after getting booed off the stage following his unfair Piston Cup victory at LA Speedway. Thus, Chick serves as an example of what McQueen would have become if he had allowed his arrogance to consume him. Thus, showing that Doc was right when he said that Lighting's ego would have turned him into an exact copy of Chick when the former showed his tragic past to McQueen.
During his brief cameo during Cars 3, despite now being a news reporter and hosting his own show, Chick still remains an unpleasant and selfish bully. He derides McQueen on TV several times throughout the film for not being as good of a racer as Jackson Storm, and once again shows that he let his arrogance and anger control his actions. He also gloats on his Piston Cup victory and presents his trophy next to him. Because of this, his selfishness once again becomes his downfall when McQueen finally beats him in a virtual race at the canonical Disney World attraction, Lightning McQueen's Racing Academy.
Chick was seen taking a pit stop in the Dinoco 400. Later, he bumps the Transberry Juice racer, showing that he is the main villain. However, he was unexpectedly overtaken by the King, Strip Weathers. Darrell Caltrip and Bob Cutlass showed that Chick was behind him in his entire career, and became more cruel when McQueen came in.
Chick was trying to overtake the King but failed, and later had to stop McQueen. He won Round 1, but lost Round 2. Because of this, Chick slams McQueen off the track to get back to the King. To make sure he gets more distance between him and McQueen, he slammed the RPM racer, who hits the Sputter Stop Racer, who hits the Faux Wheel Drive racer, and so on, and causes a massive crash. Unexpectedly, McQueen went through.
In the Pits
|“||Come along, get me out there, come along!||„|
|~ Chick telling his pitties to go faster.|
When Chick was in the pits, he was in pride till his crew chief told him McQueen went through and told his pitties to go faster, ending up with him being in the back.
Rest of the race
Chick rushed from the back to front to win, and he used his time wisely to win when McQueen lost his tires, but he failed.
Chick later comes in after McQueen's pitties leave. He taunts him, saying that the Piston Cup was his, but McQueen attracted more paparazzi. Later, when the three-way tie scene happens, Chick hosts his plan by telling McQueen whoever gets to California first gets Dinoco all for themselves.
Knowing that McQueen wanted to be with Dinoco, he presumably had the Delinquent Road Hazards to keep his driver staying up all night so McQueen may get lost.
When McQueen was Lost
When McQueen was lost by Chick's plan, the latter steals his fans by stealing how McQueen attracts people and sh-ooze with Dinoco.
McQueen knows his plan
|“||You want thunder! You want thunder! Ka-chicka, ka-chicka!||„|
|~ Chick stealing McQueen’s catchphrase.|
When McQueen watches Mack's TV, he sees that Chick stole most of his fans, and stole his catchphrase as "Ka-chicka" as well.
|“||I’m NOT coming behind you once again, old man!||„|
|~ Chicks as he sideswipes King|
After attracting more fans, he was in the track "Kachigga"-ing McQueen. When the race happens, he slams his door and laughs when McQueen goes out of the track. When McQueen was coming, Chick slams McQueen, but his backward trick made Chick's plan fail. In anger, he burst McQueen's tire, but Guido's record made Chick enraged. Because of this, Chick tries to hit McQueen but misses him, so he slams McQueen and the King off the track, and the latter was about to lose.
As McQueen nears the finish line, Chick, refusing to finish the race behind the King again, sideswipes him, sending the King into a violent crash. McQueen sees the King's condition on a TV monitor, and (recalling Doc Hudson's famous crash) stops just before the line, allowing Chick to win the race. However, as Chick braggingly celebrates his victory, he realizes that the fans (including McQueen's friends) aren't cheering him on because of his notorious act, and instead giving praise to McQueen for his respectful act on helping the King.
|“||What's wrong with everybody?! Ow! Where's the happiness?! Hey! This is the start of the Chick-era!||„|
|~ Chick Hick's final words before his getaway.|
After McQueen pushes the King to the finish line, Chick comes into the podium and asks for his Piston Cup. Later, he asks for confetti, but to his shock, they slammed him with the confetti instead of using it as a celebration for him. Later, he "Kachigga"s, but the media and his fans booed showing they are unhappy with him winning by cheating and also because now they all know Chick Hicks crashed all the racers earlier, popped McQueen’s tire, and took out Strip Weathers. Finally knowing Chick's true colours, his former fans all threw discarded tires, debris, and other stuff on him. Chick gets away with the Piston Cup but defeated and his reputation ruined for his selfish actions. It's possible he chose to retire or he got banned from racing for bad sportsmanship. Nevertheless, McQueen is still given applause by his friends and the rest of the crowd for his good sportsmanship, along with the King, and the former is given the opportunity by Tex Dinoco to become their new racer. However, McQueen declines, choosing to stay with Rust-Eze instead, but tells Tex to have Mater ride on a Dinoco helicopter.
Chick is retired and now an announcer for RSN and hosts his own TV show Chick Picks, where he introduces Jackson Storm along with special guest Natalie Certain. When Storm wins the Gears and Glory 450 at the Heartland Motor Speedway, Chick accompanies him on the winner's podium. Later, McQueen watches on Mack's television where Chick and Natalie give a report on Storm beating the record for fastest lap in Piston Cup history at the Florida International Speedway and the possibility of McQueen's retirement. He is not seen again afterward. Despite this, he shows some delight that Lightning lost showing that he might not have gotten over what happened. That said since he hosts his own show he might have gained some of his former fans back. It is also unknown why he became an announcer.
- Lightning McQueen (Main Rival)
- Strip "The King" Weathers (Other Main Rival)
In other media
Cars: The Video Game
In Cars: The Video Game, Chick hired the Delinquent Road Hazards to steal Lightning's racing gear out of Mack's trailer during the 2006 season. Lightning confronted Chick at the fourth race, but Chick claimed to know nothing about it. He was later beaten out by McQueen and lost the season. Chick returned to Radiator Springs to train for the next season, and once again made some new friends who he used to taunt McQueen. Lightning beat Chick at the final race, and he fled back to his hometown.
Cars: Radiator Springs Adventures
In Cars: Radiator Springs Adventures, Chick is one of the speeders in Speed Trap. After you win the event, you unlock the Legends Race secret for Chick.
In Cars Race-O-Rama, he returns as the main antagonist. He tells McQueen that he and some of his friends are here to win the Race-O-Rama series to shut down the Doc Hudson Racing Academy which he calls pathetic. If he does so, everyone would want to come to his racing academy, the Chick Hicks Racing Academy where they will probably learn to cheat. However, McQueen, having some modifications, won the Race-O-Rama series, and Chick leaves in shame after swearing revenge.
In Disney INFINITY, he is the main antagonist of the Cars Play Set. After the "Calibrate GPS" mission is completed, Chick comes into Radiator Springs and stops at Flo's V8 Cafe. He then asks if this is Radiator Springs before Flo asks if she can get anything for him. Chick asks to start with some jumper cables, and that the town is putting him to sleep. He later leaves after Flo suggests to keep rolling if he won't order anything. He then challenges the player to race against him. After you win, he says that he wants a rematch.
He later competes as a random opponent in the races. Before the start of the Radiator Springs International Race Invitation held by Luigi, Chick says to the other racers that he is plotting to win the race and that it will be the "last time you'll be seeing my grill." Francesco Bernoulli, however, states to The King that he almost likes Chick and that he would have said it better. Finn McMissile then states that something suspicious has happened since Chick arrived, saying that Fillmore's fuel has gone missing right before the big race. Chick then replies saying, "Yeah, yeah. Whatever. We gonna get this race started or what?" After the player wins the race, Chick appears with smoke coming out of him. When he asks if he had won, Finn says to him that he's through and will be sent to the impound lot. Ramone, however, explains that he has been looking for a perfect wreck to fix up for "Detail My Dents", and that Chick is "the worst looking car I've ever seen". Flo then agrees with Ramone to paint Chick red with lightning bolts, before they both drag him away. Shocked at being painted like McQueen, Chick asks them to take him to the impound instead.
When the Cars vault is opened by having all four characters interact with it, a toy of Chick can be unlocked for use in your toy box worlds.
Lightning McQueen's Racing Academy
Chick returns as the main antagonist for the canonical attraction at Disney's Hollywood Studios called Lightning McQueen's Racing Academy. Although Chick has retired and turned into a reporter in the 3rd film, he went back to being McQueen's rival and hacked into his racing simulator presentation to challenge him to a virtual race to settle their unfinished business and humiliate him.
When Miss Fritter appeared on screen and told Chick that she's friends with Lightning as well and told him that no one messes with Lighting, Chick was defeated by Miss Fritter pushing him away. After Chick disappeared, Lightning apologized to the audience and the lesson went in a different way, but tells them that Chick reminded him that in the end, racing isn't all about speed, flash, and crossing alongside you.
In this attraction, he was once again voiced by Bob Peterson.
- Jim Carrey, Ben Stiller, Paul Giamatti, Ricky Gervais, Steve Coogan, Mark Wahlberg, Bill Hader, David Spade, and Sam Rockwell were considered the role of Chick before Michael Keaton was selected.
- Chick was the inspiration of Jackson Storm, the main antagonist of the third film. The problem is, despite Chick, a heartless cheater being Storm's inspiration, Storm was an antagonist, but he was not considered truly evil, except for when he slammed Cruz against the wall (which was basically his first and only crime he's ever committed).
- Chick is an example of what Lightning would have become if he had not realized the importance of racing.
- Chick is the most recurring villain in the Cars franchise as he appears in Cars, Cars 3, and almost every video game (excluding Cars: Mater-National Championship).
- Chick makes his team wear "mustache" grilles to represent him.
- According to the 2009 Die-cast Collectors Guide, Chick Hicks has 334 decals on him.
- Chick is a 1979 Shyster Gremlin, a car that does not exist. It is designed after a 1987 Buick Grand National.
- Chick's number "86" could come from 1986, the year that Pixar was established and when Luxo, Jr. was released. "86" is also slang for "destroying" or "to get rid of".
- Even though Chick did not appear in Cars 2, he can be obtainable via downloadable content in Cars 2: The Video Game.
- On his right door, there is a picture of the Marshy-Marshmallows logo. This is mostly the same company which was seen in A Bug's Life under the name of "Joel's Marshy Marshmallows".
- In the Polish version, his name is Marek Marucha. Ma rucha means "He has speeds of the film".
- Chick's primary sponsor is the Hostile Takeover Bank (htB), which is fitting considering his bad nature and that "hostile takeover" is basically to describe when one company directly approaches the owner of another companies and buys it, even if the previous owner didn't want it to be bought.
- Chick should have been disqualified even before the events of the movie because of PIT'ing and aggressive driving but for the convenience of the plot, he was kept as a racer. Because of this, it is implied that the race officials allow him to play dirty just because he's in contention of winning the Piston Cup.
- It is unknown what Chick looked like when the production of Cars originally started, maybe his sponsor was Nitroade as the Nitroade racer in the teaser trailer hits the red racer who was the old McQueen.
- It was thought that the delinquent road hazards, who are supporting antagonists, drove the plot. However, Chick did, as knowing that McQueen also wants to be the new face of Dinoco, he tells McQueen that whoever gets to California first will get Dinoco all for themselves. McQueen, wanting to be with Dinoco, told Mack to stay all night to reach California first, but he was not and went to sleep with DJ's music and played using him to make fun of him, causing McQueen to go out of the designated location and later get lost.
- It got proven that the delinquent road hazards are Chick’s friends, so it is possible that Chick told them to tease Mack so McQueen gets lost.
- Though he is the main villain, Chick has little screen time as the movie focused on McQueen lost in Radiator Springs along with his attitude from Doc Hudson to learn that there are more important things in life than winning. Because of this, Doc Hudson was close to being the main antagonist due to his gruff attitude on meeting McQueen and lecturing him to become a better person (though this was due to McQueen's arrogance in wanting to be the best and wanting to escape from Radiator Springs), while Chick was close to being the secondary antagonist.
- In the normal version of the first film, Chick was voiced by Michael Keaton and in the Danish version, he was voiced by Mads Mikkelsen. Both Keaton and Mikkelson portrayed villains in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Keaton portrayed Vulture in Spider-Man: Homecoming (which is one reason why Keaton did not reprise his role in Cars 3) and Mikkelsen portrayed by Kaecilius in Doctor Strange.
- His Danish voice actor, Mads Mikkelsen also did the voice of Randall Boggs (who is another Pixar villain) in the Danish version of Monsters Inc.
- Chick Hicks is one of the four main Pixar villains to actually succeed in his plans, with the other three being Chef Skinner from Ratatouille, Ernesto de la Cruz from Coco (despite his plan being foiled), and Gabby Gabby from Toy Story 4 (despite turning good at the end).
- Whether Chick is truly evil or simply has a horrific attitude to the point of hitting other cars regardless of how much he damages them is debatable. Regardless, he moved on from his actions in the first movie to be just a snarky news reporter in the third. That said, he still hasn't reformed as shown still insulting McQueen on TV over the possibility of retiring.
- However, it should be noted that Chicks Hicks' actions are less-than heinous than the likes of Sir Miles Axlerod and Professor Zündapp. This proves that while Chicks Hicks' was indeed a cheater who wanted to do whatever it takes to win, he wasn't willing to go as far as to kill Lightning McQueen (despite ramming the King which causes him harm).
- In the Rioplatenese version of Cars, he is voiced by Marcos di Palma, an Argentinian race car driver known for his brash attitude.
- In the Cars 3: Driven to Win video game, Chick mostly appears in the background on his TV show set during menu navigation. However, he has a tendency to leave the set in anger, with forklift TV crew putting a cardboard version of himself.