|“||Jurassic World is a global destination, and that comes with certain sets of risks. Our job here on Nublar is to work with Asset Containment and park staff to ensure a safe environment for the millions of people who visit every year.||„|
|~ Vic Hoskins to his team about Jurassic World park.|
|“||No, it ain't kid... but somebody's gotta make sure that this company has a future. Imagine, that one, a fraction of the size, deadly, intelligent, able to hide from the most advanced military technology. A living weapon unlike anything we've ever seen.||„|
| ~ Vic Hoskins revealing his plans to Owen, Claire and her nephews.
Commander Victor "Vic" Hoskins is the central antagonist of the 2015 film Jurassic World.
He serves as the leader of Jurassic World's private security force. He is also the archenemy of Owen Grady.
He was portrayed by Vincent D'Onofrio, who also played Private Gomer Pyle in Full Metal Jacket, Edgar the Bug in Men in Black, Carl Rudolph Stargher in The Cell, Bob Fittler in Chained, the Kingpin in Daredevil, Luca Abele in Escape Room, and Lester Clark in Escape Plan.
Rescuing a Wolf Pup
As a young man, he rescued a wolf pup and nursed it back to health. One night, his wife attacked him with a steak knife for unknown reasons, and the wolf protected him by biting off a piece of her arm. He never had it put down, because they shared a great bond.
Working for InGen
Working for InGen, Commander Vic Hoskins came with a delusional idea: to breed military dinosaurs through the works of Henry Wu. He worked in cooperation with Simon Masrani, CEO of Masrani Global Cooperation. He intended to sell his ideas to military companies all over the world, careless of the harm he intended to make.
Right at the beginning of the film Jurassic World, an employee fell into the raptors cage forcing Owen to come rescue him by using psychological connection to order the raptors to stand down. Hoskins was impressed so he talked to Owen about his plan to use prehistoric instincts to make the raptors fight wars for him, so he can sell their skills for money. Owen stated he fears he can only interact with raptors, not control them and kindly dismissed Hoskins' request.
He then took control of Masrani's company, and claimed responsibility for the park and it's animals, as Hoskins intended. He relieved all workers, and hired a new team on the ground, thus converting InGen to Masrani Global Corporation. Later, he sent a helicopter with his soldiers on a "mission" to bomb the Pteranodons. However, his workers allowed one of them to enter the park by leaving the gate open. It appears that this was all part of Hoskins' plan to cause panic and evacuation of the visitors. He then would be in a position to field test his dinosaurs. Claire and Owen then argue with him about it, but he insists that it is going to happen with or without them.
Hunting the Indominus rex
Later on, he sends the soldiers and the raptors to hunt and enslave the Indominus, as he records the battle on a camera from his office's security camera. However, the Indominus rex influences the raptors, and many of his soldiers get killed during that incident. He then tricks Henry Wu into leaving the park with the assets, thus taking control of the lab.
|“||Easy. Easy, boy. Easy. Hey, hey. We're on the same side, right? Right? Easy. I'm on your side.||„|
|~ Vic Hoskins' last words, before he got killed by a good velociraptor named Delta, who happens to be a female.|
Afterwards, he reveals his plan to Owen, Claire and the children. He tells them that the company needs a future, and he plans to create a smaller version of the Indominus rex, deadlier and more effective. He remarks that it will be one of his strongest living weapons. Surprisingly, before Hoskins could do anything more, Delta, a raptor that has escaped earlier, manages to enter the lab, and she gives chase to everyone in the area. Hoskins is cornered by the raptor, and he tries to convince Delta that they are on the same side. The raptor is intent on attacking Hoskins due to being brainwashed by the Indominus rex and because Delta hated Hoskins since their first meet, she takes no notice of Hoskins's pleas for mercy and kills him.
Despite his death, Hoskins' dream of creating the perfect living weapon was realized. Dr. Wu managed to create the Indoraptor, a direct successor to the Indominus rex, made from her and Blue the velociraptor's DNA. But unfortunately for him, the Indoraptor is killed by Blue and the bone containing the Indominus Rex's DNA is destroyed by Rexy, preventing the creation of more Indoraptors.
LEGO Jurassic World Game
In LEGO Jurassic World, he also serves as one of the main antagonists for the Jurassic World sequence, where his role is more or less the same. However, his fate was quite different due to the game being in a more lighthearted manner. Here, when Owen, Claire and her nephews runaway, Echo (taking over for Delta) mauled Hoskins.
It is revealed that instead of torn to death, Hoskins was merely rearranged into a merman mutant with crab pincer-like arms. However, a soldier later claims that he didn't make it. This may be because the soldier is just copying the line which he said in the film or Hoskins just didn't make it to the helicopter in time after what Echo did to him.
Vic Hoskins is a very arrogant, and manipulative braggart who took advantage of the catastrophe to steal hybrid embryos for military use and to test the capabilities of the two Indominus rexes and Velociraptors as weapons of war. Hoskins does not care about how many lives are lost, as long as he gets what he wants.
Ironically, his arrogance also blinds him from reality where the said catastrophes would be too much for him to gain advantage with, especially when he never predicted that Delta, who was being manipulated by the I. rex, turned out catching him up by the time his plans were exposed by the protagonist before she killed him.
Hoskins believed that war was what bred greatness, showing a condescending view of tech staff. He also has a fondness for bloodthirsty, dangerous animals, and how to control them, which also led to his death.
Hoskins did have a few redeeming qualities. He has a backstory of how he saved a wolf pup and did not put it down after it saved him from his wife. He also looked sorrowful after Marsani dies and reffered to it as a tragedy. He also, even though it was partly due to realizing how his plan had gone south, is horrified watching his men get torn apart by the raptors. Hoskins also believed using raptors as opoosed to U.S. soilders on the battle field would reduce deaths for the U.S. and was not technically wrong in that belief. He also seems to respect Dr. Wu as Hoskins urgently warned him to get off the island with the samples and ensure his safety, even getting his men to promise Wu would be taken care of, while Hoskins went to the visitor center to retrive what's left of Wu's research while the scientist was safely being escorted out of the park.
- It is implied that Hoskins may have very well been an abusive husband, given that his wife attacked him with a steak knife (possibly out of anger or self-defense), which caused his wolf pet to attack her. However, his wife could have been insane.
- Vic Hoskins may have been hired by Dodgson as an act of revenge, and then recruited Henry Wu, who then became a traitor.
- Vic Hoskins may have also known and worked with Eli Mills to weaponize dinosaurs prior to the downfall of Jurassic World as Mills had actually attempted to carry out his plan by creating the Indoraptor, which was a fraction of the Indominus rex's size, deadly, intelligent, and able to hide from the most advanced military technology as a living weapon, unlike anything, is ever seen, just as Hoskins had said before his death. Hoskins may have also told Mills all about Owen and the Raptor squad. However, it is unlikely that Hoskins would ever give that kind of information to someone as irresponsible and reckless as Mills, for Hoskins wanted to reserve the dinosaurs soley for the military in order for the company to remain intact, while Mills was willing to sell them to criminal organizations, terrorists, and even enemy countries to get rich without any thought of the consequences, even possibly compromising InGen's secrets and dooming the hybrid project (which his irresposibile actions ironically led to his death and the destruction of the Indominus Rex's bone fragment and DNA sample. crushing any chances of making other hybrid dinosaurs).
- InGen Security Division serves as paramilitary in Isla Nublar, for the case of a dinosaur going wild. However, Hoskins was manipulative and careless, using the military to develop dinosaurs as weapons of mass destruction.
- Hoskins's idea is quite foolish to begin with since dinosaurs are much more uncontrollable than any form of conventional military weapon, which causes more damages to the users than the enemies.
- Commander Vic Hoskins at the Antagonists wiki.
- Vic Hoskins at the Jurassic Park wiki.
- Vic Hoskins at the LEGO wiki.
The Lost World
Jurassic Park III
Jurassic World: Evolution