|“||I used to be a real C.I.T.||„|
|~ Courtney's famous catchphrase.|
|“||Don’t bother fixing your glasses, you won’t be around long enough to matter.||„|
|~ Courtney to Cameron.|
Courtney is a major antagonist in the Canadian animated franchise Total Drama, appearing as a major character-turned-final antagonist of Total Drama Island, the main antagonist of Total Drama Action, a major character-turned-supporting antagonist in Total Drama World Tour, a cameo character in Total Drama: Revenge of the Island and the secondary antagonist of Total Drama All-Stars.
She is a competitive girl who joins Total Drama, bent on winning the million dollar prize like every contestant. During the competition, she proves to be a good leader, and even hooks up with the rebellious juvenile delinquent Duncan. However, after she is cheated out in the first season, Courtney becomes far more ruthless in the following seasons, to the point of even taking advantage of technicalities to get what she wants. Even though there are times where she can be nice and useful, Courtney always puts the prize before relationships.
She was voiced by Rochelle Wilson (who is also the voice of Sugar in TDPI) in the episodes, "Not So Happy Campers" Part 1 and 2 of TDI and the future episodes and seasons, she is voiced by Emilie-Claire Barlow.
In the beginning of the series, Courtney was an uptight, by-the-books girl with a fierce determination to win and with the ability to command. She was less ruthless and displayed more compassion towards others despite often annoying them with her selfish nature. Courtney even learned to enjoy herself and be more rebellious once she became enamored with Duncan. That said, there were still sometimes where she treated others horribly as she, along most of her team, mistreated Harold. Even then, there were a few moments where she stood up for him such as when Duncan and Geoff went too far with their pranks and started to show more respect towards him until she found out he rigged the votes to get her voted off.
As time passed, however, she gradually became more and more obsessed with winning and obtaining the grand prize for herself. This more greedy and selfish aspect of herself was first seen when she abandons Duncan in favor of the million dollar reward, as well as when she threatens Owen, DJ, Tyler and Cody to fall to their deaths if they didn't give her the briefcase. In the second season, she becomes more dangerous and gives herself unfair advantages using her lawyers to threaten Chris and the show, manipulating several of the contestants without any remorse and continuously betraying their trust in order to get ahead in the contest.
Courtney is rather domineering and a control-freak: when dating Duncan, she creates a 32 page list of requirements for their relationship and forces him to read it. In addition, she creates another very extensive, detailed list of everything to make Duncan the "perfect" boyfriend for her, showing a lack of consideration for Duncan and unwillingness to accept him for who he is. This results in him voting her off along with Beth.
Like everyone else, Courtney also hates Heather. Despite on the same team, she shown her anger towards Heather for throwing their meat grinder out as far calling Heather a "Self-involved, lazy, useless, formerly bald dimwit".
Courtney also hates Harold for being nagging and gross. She calls him a big geek. She shown her disgust of Harold's underwear. When she learned the truth behind her elimination, she shown her vengeful wrath when she beat Harold up with a light pole.
Despite her determination to win and her constant nagging of her other teammates to pull their weight to win challenges, Courtney has proven herself to be very cowardly on several occasions. This was first seen when she refused to jump off the cliff during the first challenge of the series, and once again during a challenge where the contestants had to face their greatest fears, when she refused to jump into a vat of green jelly. In the fifth season, her cowardliness was shown at its worst when she used Sam as a human shield to protect herself from leeches and using the hamsters as pawns. An act that combined with her bossy nature, got her switched to the Villainous Vultures.
Another one of Courtney's most notable and definable traits during the third season is her pettiness, jealousy, and hatred against Gwen. When she finds out Gwen and Duncan kissed, she goes out of her way to vote her off, constantly trying to make their team lose to eliminate Gwen and even briefly teaming up with Heather. To get back at Duncan, she also flirted with other male contestants on the show, and after finding out Duncan cheated on her, she kicked him in the groin.
She continues to hold a deep hatred against Duncan and Gwen, and while she eventually forgives Gwen and rekindles their friendship, she shows her true colors when she creates a chart for the contestants she wants to eliminate in what order, putting Gwen as second last, even though she promised Gwen they'd go to the finals together. In the end, it demonstrates that winning is ultimately what is most important to her, putting her friendships and romantic relationships aside all for the sake of her own greed and avarice. It is unknown whether or not she actually voted for herself via Gwen's request to regain her trust.
- Bridgette (ambiguous)
- Alejandro Burromuerto - Former one-sided attraction-turned-enemy
- Chef Hatchet
- Chris McLean
- Duncan - Former Boyfriend and Hated Enemy
- Gwen - Former Friend
- Lindsay (one-sided , on Courtney’s side)
- Scott - Former Boyfriend and Ally turned Enemy
- Courtney is the second main villain contestant of the Total Drama series, the others being Heather, Alejandro, Scott, Mal, Scarlett, Jacques and Josee, (not counting Chris McLean, who is the show's host and not a competitor).
- Courtney's voice actress, Emilie-Claire Barlow also once voiced Sailor Mars and coincidentally both characters lost their boyfriends (Duncan and Tuxedo Mask) to another woman (Gwen and Sailor Moon).
- Courtney is one of the characters who received controversy among fans. Her attitude change during seasons causes her to lose people she used to be friends with, trying to be the center of attention, uses people in relationships, as well her role in the triangle-conflict fiasco. Notably, some fans of the show believe that Courtney "never does anything wrong" in the actual series and ignore everything evil she did, claiming she was an "angel" or a "princess" in situations, and blames on everyone else in the series like Heather, Gwen, Duncan, Alejandro, etc. It has been believed that Duncan got fed up with the way Courtney treated him and got revenge on her by going out with Gwen and tried to get back at Courtney at every way the same way she did to him in TDA. However, many fans have pointed out that Courtney is at fault and ultimately responsible for her actions, mostly throughout Season 2, 3, and 5. On the contrary, Courtney's reactions are rather downplayed on the basis of them being reasonable, such as Gwen getting involved with active cheating with her not-yet ex-boyfriend and her issue with being rigged out of the competition unfairly played off as a joke to further degrade her credibility. That said, there are fans out there who think that while her anger towards people like Harold and Gwen are reasonable, her actions are not. Therefore, they feel the hatred she gets is justified. Again, however, there are fans who feel she was misrepresented in being the bad guy for being reasonably annoyed for the the things that happened to her and that her character was flanderized in being thrust back in the role of antagonist whenever she got the chance to improve.
- One of the main criticisms Total Drama All-Stars received was the rebuilding of Courtney's and Gwen's friendship only to have it ruined again due to Courtney's behavior and planned betrayal, being this one of the reasons for which the first half of the fifth season was poorly received. According to the creators, however, they never had the intention to redeem Courtney as many fans hoped.
- In Total DramaRama, the toddler Courtney is less evil than her older self in the main series, being much kinder although her bossiness remains. However, Total DramaRama is set in an alternate universe and doesn't share continuity with the main Total Drama series.
|Chris McLean | Chef Hatchet|
|Heather | Eva | Duncan | Psycho Killer|
|Courtney | Justin | Josh|
|Alejandro Burromuerto | Blaineley | Ezekiel|
|Revenge of the Island|
|Scott | Jo | Anne Maria | Lightning|
|Villainous Vultures | Mal | Jose Burromuerto|
|Max | Amy | Scarlett | Sugar | Dave|
|Total Drama Presents: The Ridonculous Race|
|Jacques | Josee | Taylor | Stephanie|
|The Skunk | Mummy | Lenny | Boogersnatchers | Robo Teacher | Winky, Blinky and Steve | Wendel | Sammy | Brightly | Painapple | Gobble Head | Cookronomnomicon | Duncan 2 | Duncan 3 | Duncan 4 | Duncan 4 + 1 | Max (Total DramaRama) | Duncan 4 + 2 | Duncan 4 + 3 | Terry Spice | Duncan (Total DramaRama)|
|Fang | Larry|