|“||What in the animal kingdom was that?!||„|
|~ Sid after outrunning Maelstrom.|
Cretaceous and Maelstrom are the two main antagonists of Blue Sky's 3rd animated feature film Ice Age 2: The Meltdown.
Their vocal effects were provided by Nicolas David Inhofe.
Despite being the main antagonists, their role in the film is small. Cretaceous and Maelstrom were first seen thawing out in a melting pack of ice. Their first victim upon defrosting was Fast Tony's unintelligent Glyptodon sidekick named Stu.
They made one scene in the film when they occasionally tried to eat Manny, Sid, Diego, Ellie, Crash, and Eddie when they were crossing a frozen area of water. Cretaceous wanted to eat Manny because he was the biggest animal in the whole herd, while Maelstrom attacked Sid and Diego when they get separated from the others. Despite almost losing their lives, the heroes successfully managed to escape.
They later appear in the film when Ellie is trapped in a cave from the rising flood. When Manny and his friends went to rescue Ellie, Cretaceous and Maelstrom tried to eat them, starting with Manny, who was in the water trying to save Ellie. However, Manny tricks them into hitting a log wedged beside a large rock. Eventually, he causes the giant rock to fall and crush the two vicious reptiles to death.
- They both appeared in the Ice Age 2: The Meltdown videogames as bosses. One of the levels involves Scrat finding a way out of Maelstrom's digestive system.
- Their names "Cretaceous" and "Maelstrom" are never mentioned in the film.
- Although their role is small, Cretaceous and Maelstrom are the main antagonists, because they had bigger plans and were far more dangerous than anyone else.
- The species having a resemblance to Cretaceous can be seen in the app game Ice Age Village called "Metri". It is unknown if Maelstrom will be added in a future update or not.
- In the app game Ice Age Adventure, the player can battle Cretaceous to help Buck get to the other side to meet Granny.
- Cretaceous is the only one of the two who can walk on dry land.
- It is uncertain what kind of species are Cretaceous and Maelstrom, but the movie's Essential Guide reveals that Cretaceous is an Ichthyosaur and Maelstrom is a Pliosaur.
|Blue Sky Villains|
|Ice Age Villains|