This Article Contains Spoilers -
WARNING: This article contains major spoilers. If you do not wish to know vital information on plot / character elements in a story, you may not wish to read beyond this warning: We hold no responsibility for any negative effects these facts may have on your enjoyment of said media should you continue. That is all.
|“||This is gonna be nothing more than a warning shot. We'll pull those false heroes down from their shining pedestals...And, in doing so, we'll create a bright new future for this world.||„|
|~ Dabi to the Vanguard Action Squad.|
|“||The League? Shigaraki? I never gave a crap about them. A single person... with a single conviction... has the power to change the world. There are no true heroes. I... plan to make Stain's will a reality.||„|
|~ Dabi to Hawks revealing his true nature.|
Dabi (in Japanese: 荼毘, translated as Cremation), also known as Blueflame (in Japanese:蒼炎 Sōen), is a major antagonist in the manga/anime series My Hero Academia. He is affiliated with the League of Villains and the leader of the organization's Vanguard Action Squad. Like Himiko Toga and Spinner, he was inspired by Stain and his ideology and decided to join the League, which was believed to harbor the Hero Killer's cause.
It is later revealed that Dabi is actually the eldest son of the Todoroki family, Toya Todoroki (in Japanese 轟 燈矢), who was long thought to have been deceased. His father, Enji Todoroki, sought out to make him his successor due to his powerful Quirk, but because of his weak constitution, his training was abandoned entirely. He is the archenemy of both his youngest brother Shoto Todoroki and his father Enji Todoroki AKA Endeavor.
Dabi is a tall, slender 24-year-old young man with spiky black hair and blue eyes. His most noticeable features include a set of burnt, purple, scarred skin that are present underneath both his eyes (which cannot cry due to his tear ducts being burned up), on his ears and below his jawline all the way down to his collarbone, as well on his torso and all the way down both of his arms, and on his legs as well. These scars are attached to the remainders of his skin with metallic staple piercings.
His outfits seem to vary from time to time. In his initial debut, he had more of a rough and baggy appearance, wearing a loose belt, a torn jacket and pants that barely reach to his ankles. In later appearances, he seems to wear a slightly different jacket that appears to be stitched together with coattails and rolled up sleeves. He also wears boots now and baggier pants.
When he was his younger self as Toya, he possessed red hair that gradually turned white during his childhood, and it was wavier than it was spiked. Due to his premature birth, he was shorter than his younger siblings Natsuo and Fuyumi, but roughly the same height as Shoto. However because of his training and growth spurt, he became around the same height as them. Dabi later reverts back to his white hair color by removing the black dye from it with a bottle of water after revealing his identity.
Dabi is a rude and argumentative person who has no sense of respect. He introduced himself to Tomura informally, and refused to give out his real name. Nevertheless, he is a calm-minded person, who is always focused and determined to complete his given tasks.
Like Toga, Dabi admires Stain and his ideology. He views himself as the one who is destined to fulfill Stain's view of the world, hence his reasoning for joining the League of Villains. However, even though he does not display any psychotic intentions, it appears that he is still just as deluded as Toga as he seems to be unaware of what Stain was actually trying to accomplish. While Stain was trying to bring back the meaning of being a hero, Dabi is simply interested in destroying the current society of humanity as a whole. Despite this, Dabi believes himself to be the true manifestation of Stain's will, believing that "real heroes" are not a thing. It is clear from his actions that he is only using Stain's ideology as an excuse for his actions and that he despises heroes entirely because of how he was raised among them.
Dabi commonly shows sadistic tendencies, as he takes pleasure in taunting Pro Heroes and those that seek to be heroes, while attempting to murder them at the same time. He's also observant and ruthless, willing to endanger the lives of others, including U.A. students and even his own allies, while also commonly exploiting a hero's tendency to save people from danger. Despite this, it appears that he can relate to families that have suffered from the society of heroes and villains due to his own pain from Endeavor's actions, as shown by him crying blood while remembering Snatch’s final words, hinting that he may be capable of feeling remorse.
Dabi can also come across being very derisive and contemptuous towards his teammates, who he finds crazy as he proclaimed Himiko insane, called Tomura freaky and insulted Spinner's driving skills. While he acknowledges the League's capabilities, he ultimately does not care about any of them, and only values them for their capacity to bring his goals into fruition. Despite this, Dabi ensured that Twice would make it out alive and claims that his death saddened him, though it seems that he valued Twice's abilities to help his goals over any bond the two villains had. Rather than showing any sadness, Dabi expressed a crazed expression of gleeful sadism saying that he hasn't cried since his tear ducts got burned up.
It is later revealed that Dabi's main goal is to ruin his father's career as revenge for the pain and agony he endured as a child. He relishes in the fact that Endeavor's past is exposed to the world while gleefully dancing, telling his father to dance with him in Hell. In spite of his relationship with his father, Dabi was very close with his two younger siblings, as well as with his mother when he was still Toya, as his supposed death only added more emotional pain to his mother's mental health, as well as grief for Natsuo. Natsuo in particular was very close to him, as Toya would always come to him in tears after dealing with their father's abuse, seeking for comfort. Fuyumi also wanted him to stop overusing his Quirk because of the burns he got from it. However he showed no remorse when learning that Ending, the villain he sent nearly killed Natsuo and only remarked that if he died then Endeavor would have really suffered.
His relationship with his youngest sibling, Shoto, is more ambiguous, since the two were kept separated from each other for a long period of time. Dabi claims that he views Shoto as nothing more than their father's "little puppet" and that he planned to kill him during his hero career, but this was only because this was part of his plan of ruining his father's legacy, until his father became the No. 1 Pro Hero. The fact that Dabi ended up abandoning this plan seems to suggest that he doesn't truly hate Shoto, but he thinks very little of him. Dabi later makes it clear to Shoto that he's lost any feeling for not just him and his family, but for anything in general, as everything he's done to this point is to ensure their father suffers for it.
In his youth, Toya was originally a very energetic and positive boy who enjoyed spending time with his father and was very eager to learn Endeavor's strongest technique. However, his father's shift of focus towards Shoto and subsequent abandonment of Toya as his successor caused him to spiral into a state of sadness and depression, experiencing an existential crisis and wondering his purpose in life. As a result, his determination on achieving his father's goal became an unhealthy obsession that made him act more hostile and dangerous, as well as putting his own life at risk for the sake of being acknowledged.
Powers and Abilities
- Cremation: Cremation allows Dabi to control and manipulate extremely hot blue flames, which are able to set forests ablaze and can burn large groups of people to a crisp. He can also use his flames to propel himself upwards and hover in the air. Dabi's Quirk is said to allow him to produce flames even stronger than Endeavor's.
- Keen Intellect: While not very strategic, Dabi is very observant to everything around him. With just a glance, he easily identified Tomura's instability and effortlessly saw through Aizawa's stoic nature, even knowing that Hawks was a traitor from the moment he met him. Had it not been for Twice stopping him, he would have found and killed Aoyama. Later he identified Snatch’s quirk, and understood it’s limits.
Overall, Dabi is one of the more powerful members among the league. His quirk has shown to have a destructive nature and he is skilled enough with it to hold his own against Pro Heroes. Shota Aizawa, a powerful Pro Hero, struggled against a clone of Dabi for a considerable amount of time (which did not have the same power as the original). Later, in conjunction with Mr. Compress, they managed to both seal and kill Snatch, a strong Pro Hero. On top of this, he managed to fight evenly against and later pin down the extremely skilled No. 2 Pro Hero, Hawks, while overpowering the latter with the brute force of his flames.
Despite his Quirk's power, Dabi's flames begin to eat away at him and burn his body should he use them for too long, which prevents him from fighting prolonged battles. To counter this, Dabi tends to rattle his opponents and engage in psychological warfare in order to buy himself time to cool down. He is also capable of saving firepower for more devastating attacks.
- While Dabi's Quirk has no official name, it has been widely labelled as "Cremation" due to the word being translated directly from Dabi's name.
- Before the release of Chapter 290, a popular theory among the fandom was that Dabi may actually be a relative of the Todoroki family. One of the reasons that the fans use is the fact that his flames are blue, in which Endeavor is also capable of producing blue flames, though this is something that was only shown in the anime. Other reasons included his similar eye color to Endeavor and Shoto.
- With more recent chapters hinting towards this theory, Dabi was generally speculated to be Toya Todoroki, the oldest son of the Todoroki family, who was revealed to have an unnamed fire Quirk and implied to have went through harsh training with Endeavor regarding his Quirk and appeared to have a strong resemblance to him. This theory was eventually proven true when Dabi revealed his true identity and what drove him to become a villain.
- Dabi and Shoto shared the same abuse and harsh treatment from their father's strict teachings. However, unlike Dabi, Shoto started to let go of his grudge towards him while Dabi is consumed by his hatred to the point he became a villain to destroy his father's reputation.
- In a way, the two contrast one another, as Chapter 301 revealed. Despite being molded by his father to surpass him, Shoto admired All Might's acts of heroism and wanted to become a hero with similar ideals, whereas Dabi was obsessed with surpassing him and making his dad proud. While Shoto had no choice but to endure Endeavor's vigorous and harsh trainings, Toya was enthusiastic about furthering his abilities and was frustrated when his dad didn't make time for him. And while Shoto was forced to perfect his abilities at his father's commands to become the number one hero, Enji tried to get Toya to stop using his quirk altogether and give up on his dreams.
- As such, Dabi serves as Shoto's dark reflection of what he would have become if he let his hatred consume him and didn't meet Izuku. Shoto himself noted this similarity, which is why he believed that it was his responsibility to handle Toya.
League of Villains
Paranormal Liberation Front