|This article's content is marked as Mature|
The page Mature contains mature content that may include coarse language, sexual references, and/or graphic violent images which may be disturbing to some. Mature pages are recommended for those who are 18 years of age and older.
If you are 18 years or older or are comfortable with graphic material, you are free to view this page. Otherwise, you should close this page and view another page.
|“||A name echoed through his mind, to the very depths of his soul, boiling up hatred a thousand times over, hate that burned, consumed, that left nothing but more of the same. Hatred against them. The invaders. The slaughterers. The slavemasters. The filth. The Daevas.||„|
|~ From "A Long Time Past"|
The Daevites, also known as the Daevas or the Daeva, are a culture in the SCP Foundation universe. They originated from SCP-140, a book that expands upon the history of the civilization if blood or ink is in its presence.
The Daevites were a matriarchal culture centered in modern Mongolia, which at various points through history had an empire that extended as far as Europe and the Middle East. All periods of the civilization had militarism, conquest, cities ruling over large slave populations, human sacrifice, ancestor worship, and functioning magic as core aspects, though they still otherwise changed over time. The Daevas were longer lived than humans, and were divergent from modern humans enough to be considered a separate subspecies. The culture created a variety of objects that would qualify for SCP classification if rediscovered today. In their present timeline, the Daevites were wiped out by Genghis Khan, although this could be changed by interference with SCP-140.
The Daevite language was a isolated language independent from the Daevites' neighbors, which further evolved through time. As a result of this the Daevite language was divided into four languages: Old Daevite which remained until 1000 BCE; Middle Daevite which was used until 200 CE; Late Daevite which was used until 1300 CE; and Neo-Daevite which still used to this day by small Daevite groups.
Because Old Daevite is an extinct language, its exact right pronunciation is mostly unknown, but historians were mostly able to infer a theoretical realization into neighboring languages.
Quite unusually for a language of Siberia, Old Daevite possessed a thorough grammatical gender (or noun-class) system. This system affected pluralization as well as verb conjugation. Old Daevite possessed three grammatical numbers - a singular, a plural, and a null or "zero" number not found in any other language of the region. The singular number is always unmarked. However, nouns in the plural and null numbers are marked with an affix that denotes their number and gender, as is any adjective referring to them. Possession is, in turn, managed by a completely separate set of suffixes which are marked on the possessee and change according to the gender and person of the possessor. If a plural noun is the possessee, these suffixes are added following the plural suffix. There exists a simple adjectivizer prefix, á-, which may be used to transform any noun into an adjective. In case of the noun being adjectivized having adjectives itself, those adjectives are also marked with the prefix.
Old Daevite included a unique system of stop mutation, based on the relative social standing of the speaker and the listener. This system was not considered to be simple allophony, but rather a core and grammatical part of the language, as is evidenced by these mutations being reflected in the Daevite writing system. Daevite stop mutation involved shifting all stops in speech to a differet set if the listener was of significantly higher or lower social rank. These two sets being referred to as the High Register and the Low Register respectively, and are contrasted by the neutral Base Register.
Relationship with other anomalous factions
The SCP Foundation considers the Daevite civilization to be an extreme threat to the modern world should SCP-140 reach past a certain point in the 2nd millennium AD.
Sarkicism began in the 3rd millennium by Grand Karcist Ion as a slave revolt against the Daevite empire, and they were able to reduce them to a single city state in Mongolia before the Mekhanites destroyed them.
The Daevites once committed mass genocide on the Ortothan, precursors of the Church of the Second Hytoth.
The Daevites appear to have had a vendetta against the Serpent's Hand for unknown reasons.
A lot of the power of the Daevites was granted by the Scarlet King: an old god granted them with unholy power and knowledge as a reward for their brutal ways of life. They also worshipped Moloch, one of the Scarlet King's servants. The Children of the Scarlet King appear to be an offshoot of the Daevites.
SCP's Associated with the Daevites
- "Daeva" is an an Old Iranian term for demons.
- They bear a resemblance to the Drows from Dungeons & Dragons.
- SCP-140 bears resemblance to SCP-012, a piece of handwritten musical score entitled "On Mount Golgotha" written with human blood and forces people who view at it to use their own blood to complete it, and SCP-4001, an underground library containing books of the lives of every human who had ever lived and manipulating the books would cause the life of the respective person to change..
- After SCP-2798 ceased functioning, SCP-001 manipulated SCP-1981 as it did with other anomalies. In this new version Ronald Reagan raps during the tape and while rapping mentions the Daevites who are among the crowd looking at Reagan.
- SCP-682 has knowledge of the Daevites and even carved symbols similar to SCP-2140-1-D. This might because of 682's connection to the Scarlet King.
- When SCP-3959, an anti-meme which "redacted" information from written documents and people's memories, went rogue the Foundation tried to secure SCP-140 from 3959's effect, since it would probably cause the Daevites to cease existing and be erased from history. Although at first it seemed to be good thing, the sudden disappearance of the Daevites from history could cause a much greater threat to reality as the Daevites have a very important part in the universe despite their malevolence.
- When the Foundation used SCP-978, a camera that when takes a picture of someone the photo it produces shows the individual's biggest desire, to take a photo of SCP-140, the photo showed a number of ornately-dressed women look on with approval at an assortment of human corpses from different ethnicities and groups such as the Foundation, GOC and HI impaled on stakes. This means that the 140 not only is sapient and aware of the present, but is possibly possessed by the spirits of ancient Daevites.
- Daevites in the Legends of the Multi Universe Wiki