|“||My son. So beautiful...So much like Itsu. On the outside. But on the inside...He's all me.||„|
|~ Wolverine after meeting his son. (Danial Way's Wolverine Origins #11)|
|“||Are you still conscious? Can you see me...as I truly am? I am the inheritor of the Earth. When all of your kind have gone to dust...I will remain.||„|
|~ Daken to one of his victims.|
|“||Will you play with me?||„|
|~ Daken to his father, Wolverine.|
Raised by the immoral Romulus for half his long lived life, Daken is manipulative, narcissistic, extremely intelligent, and usually amoral. However, in rare instances he chooses not to kill others, though usually just because he feels they aren't worth his time.
One of the earliest known children of the long lived mutant wanderer and killer, Logan also known as Wolverine, the child that would one day be become Daken was born from the union of Logan and his Japanese wife, Itsu. In 1946, Itsu, while in the last stages of her pregnancy, was murdered by the Winter Soldier in an attempt to draw Wolverine out and return him to the custody of Madripoor. After Itsu's death, a man in black took the baby after cutting him from his mother's womb and leaving her body behind. The baby survived the incident, due to a mutant healing factor and physiology, which he inherited from his father.
The man left the baby on the doorstep of Akihira and Natsumi, a wealthy, young and traditional Japanese couple. They took the child's arrival as an answer to their prayers and raised him as their own. Though he was named Akihiro by his father, the servants and other families of his town secretly referred to the boy as Daken (駄犬, "mongrel"), a racial slur on his obvious mixed heritage. As Akihiro grew up, he was often teased by the other children of the town. This harsh treatment and his adoptive mother's indifference toward him caused Akihiro to develop a very cold persona to all except his adoptive father.
One night, Natsumi confessed to Akihira that she didn't love their adopted son and that, after years of trying to conceive, she was pregnant. Akihiro overheard this and felt his position in the household to be threatened. In 1955, after the birth of the baby, Junichiro, Akihiro confronted his mother, telling her that he had killed her son. When Akihira found out he disowned Akihiro, taking him into the forest behind their home and telling him to leave and never return. Daken furiously responded that "Akihiro" was not his true name. Natsumi then appeared, running at Daken and trying to kill him with a rifle's bayonet. The attack caused Daken's claws to extend reflexively, and with a flail of his arm, he accidentally slashed Natsumi through the chest, killing her. Unable to force himself to harm his son, Akihira instead committed suicide with the discarded rifle. Romulus then appeared to the boy for the first time since infancy, saying that he was what Daken would someday become.
4 years later and now in his teens, Daken would sent to a boot camp in Canada ruled by a Frederick Hudson, a man who had a familiar connection to him as he was his grand uncle, the same camp where his real father Wolverine had first trained more than forty years earlier. Daken was also trained by the same man as his father, Silas Burr. Burr trained Daken for 9 months before Daken disappeared one night. While two search parties were sent out to find him, Daken, at the behest of Romulus, reappeared in the camp and slaughtered every person there before confronting Hudson and Burr.
After killing Hudson, Daken then confronted his former drill instructor, during their fight, Daken attacked with not only his claws but also his power to ramp up and manipulate his own pheromones, using the ability to make Burr so giddy that he started laughing, confusing him and allowing himto draw first blood. Burr, however, quickly recovered, punching Daken across the room with so much force that he believed for a moment to have killed his former student. Daken got back to his feet after Burr turned away, holding a revolver which had been dropped by the last man he'd killed. Daken fired three shots into Burr's back and then prepared to fire one into his head, but Romulus appeared and stopped him, telling Daken that he had plans for Burr. Romulus then decided to bond the indestructible metal called Adamantium to Burr's skin, Burr survived the surgery and became known as the assassin/hitman Cyber years later.
While his actions are left unknown during the 60s and early 70s, in 1977 Daken is seen in the middle east on an assignment for Romulus as he kills a man. It was that, that the enigmatic immortal would tell his protégé that his real father was still alive and lie about the events surrounding his real mother's death. This lie sowed a seed of vengeance in Daken that Romulus continued to feed in the following decades.
This seed would start to take form and blossom as Daken joined the Red Right Hand, an organization dedicated to the death and everlasting suffering of the mutant killer known as Wolverine. During his time with them, Daken tracked down and found all the known illegitimate children of his father born from his years of wandering the world and forgotten relationships. Manipulating their common angry and grudges against their father, he would turned them over to the the Red Right Hand who on his advice trained them in order to use them as weapons and pawns against Wolverine. Daken knew that they wouldn't stand a chance against him but having his father inadvertently kill his forgotten children would hurt him in the worst way possible. Those individuals would later become collectively known as the Mongrels.
Modern Times and Meeting his father
Decades later, Daken would finally met Wolverine face to face for the first time in a century, after Wolverine was captured by the S.H.I.E.L.D., Daken disguised himself as a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent. Upon seeing his child he thought long dead, Wolverine would begin to cry. After seeing this emotional display, Daken was disgusted by his father as he deemed him weak, he then slashed and disbowled him across the stomach, killing him temporarily and leaving him to bleed on the floor, as his mother had been left many years before. Daken's action also "aided" his father in escaping from S.H.I.E.L.D., but not for benevolent reasons.
After disappearing Daken next arrived in Berlin at the home of a woman he had been been having a relationship. He led her to believe that he had been cheating on her with a man that he was actually just planning to kill for a passport. Knowing that she would drink an entire bottle of burgundy which they had purchased together, Daken secretly poisoned it with sleeping pills, making it appear that she had committed suicide as he stated that she was a footprint he was erasing.
Afterwards while walking through the streets of Potsdam, Germany, Daken was contacted by an anonymous messenger who reminded him of his displeased master's "ultimate goal". Daken dispatched the messenger in anger that he was being prevented from having the opportunity to confront his father on open ground as his master had promised him. Later he was on a train to Brussels, watching his father in a nearby stolen car. He then received a phone call from an unknown "friend", who was actually his former instructor and newly revived Silas Burr now known in the modern era as Cyber. Cyber confirmed his father's destination. After "helping" him escaped from S.H.I.E.L.D., Daken lured his father into a bank vault in Brussels that contained a Carbonadium synthesizer, Daken engaged Wolverine in a brief battle, with Daken demonstrating great fighting prowess similar to his father. The fight was interrupted however, by Cyber. He challenged Daken, one of his finest student, to combat in hopes Daken would take him to his supposed "master".
Powers and Abilities
- Regenerative Immortality: Daken's primary mutant power is his powerful regenerative abilities that allows him to rapidly regenerate any damaged or destroyed bodily molecules, cellular, tissues and organs instantaneously.
- Ageless Immortality: He is ageless. He stop aging in his 20's, & has endless vitality, virility, passion, and willpower, he never gets bored.
- Self-Resurrection: He completely recovers from any injuries all wounds and damage (internal and external) he has from heal without a scar or a trace. This means that when he recovers, his mind, spirit and body is in peak condition, he is as healthy as possible.
- Foreign Chemical Immunity: Daken's is immune to all poisons, drugs, toxins, or impurities.
- Disease Immunity: Daken is immune to all diseases, infections, disorders, and imperfection, he is physically, mentally and genetically perfect. Daken is immune to telepathy, highly resistant to elemental extremes (i.e cold).
- Superhumanly Acute Senses: Daken's senses of sight, smell, touch, taste, and hearing are all heightened to a degree of superhuman accuracy. He can see much further and than a normal human with perfect clarity, even retaining this perfect clarity even in total darkness. Daken's hearing is enhanced, enabling him to detect sounds normal humans can't and sounds they ordinarily could but at much greater distances. Daken's sense of smell is sufficiently heightened to track a target by scent. He can perceive infra red, ultra violent, heat, heartbeat, health, weaknesses, pheromones, feelings & emotions such as anger, shame, grief, fear, lust, etc). He can detect lies.
- Superhuman Durability: Skin, bone, and muscle tissues are augmented to levels that are considerably stronger and harder than human and the tissues are impervious to injury to an extraordinary extent.
- Superhuman Stamina: Daken's musculature, produce no fatigue toxins during physical activity, he can maintain continuous movement and strenuous exercise for unlimited periods of time without ever getting tired process.
- Superhuman Reflexes: Daken's reflexes are enhanced to levels that are beyond the natural physical limits of the finest human athlete. His auto-reflexes allow him to easily dodge gunfire and attacks even when not consciously aware of them, his reflexes can be used to attack and counter instead of just defensive purposes.
- Superhuman Speed; Daken can react, maneuver, run or move in microseconds. He can easily reach speeds of 80 mph. He is able to attack faster than the eye can follow. He can blitzed people before they even react.
- Superhuman Agility: Daken possesses perfect agility, balance, flexibility, dexterity, and bodily coordination.
- Pheromone Control: His most deadliest ability, Daken possesses the ability to manipulate his pheromones. He has used it for the purpose of suppressing his own scent to such a degree that even Wolverine's senses are unable to detect him. He can also use his pheromones to manipulate the emotional state and sensory perceptions of other beings. He has been known to use this power to instill intense fear, happiness, depression, sexual arousal, and a false sense of security to other beings. This allows him to seemingly appear where enemies can't see him, enabling him to inflect damage before an opponent realizes it. His pheromone powers appear to be physical in nature, not psionic. His abilities allow him to distort enemies, hinder their depth perception and visual acuity. He has great knowledge to the capabilities of pheromones in general as well as their taste and smell. He can expertly judge and manipulate the emotional/physical state of all creatures. He can manipulate technology/electronics.
- Superhuman Mental Process: Daken's mental performance has been greatly enhanced to operate in the most efficient and rapid manner possible. He possesses perfect pattern solving/recognition, limitless information storage/retrieval, perfect perception/observational skills, and logical/philosophical structuring. His mind also process information quickly, he has an accelerated learning aptitude, and can quickly analyze multiple, limitless information streams (e.g., threat assessment) and rapidly respond to changing tactical situations, eidetic memory (meaning that he never forgets anything and has perfect instant recall), he can read at superhuman speeds, has perfect deductive/reasoning skills, and can intuitively understand what's going to happen and how to deal with it.
- Telepathic Immunity: Daken is immune to telepathy. his brain even developed a "trap" for any telepath that goes too far into his mind. Daken's telepathic immunity is in no way related to wolverine's mental blocks, which were made by his healing factor erasing painful memories.
- Retractable Muramasa Claws: Daken possesses retractable claws housed within his forearms. Daken's bone claws have been shown to be black in color with a very rough texture in contrast to the light color and smooth texture of his father's claws in their natural state. Daken has two claws which emerge from between the skin of his first and third knuckles while the center claws actually extend from the underside of his wrist. These claws are much harder and denser than normal human bone and their natural shape provides them with a razor sharp edge capable of easily slicing through flesh and bone very easily. Recently, Daken has had the claws which extend from the underside of his wrist bonded with a broken piece of the Muramasa blade. The Tinkerer, who bonded the broken piece to Daken's claws, has also implanted artificial housings that act as sheathes inside Daken's wrists that are made of Adamantium. According to the Tinkerer, the substance the Muramasa blade is composed of would severely damage Daken's soft body tissues, hence the presence of the Adamantium sheathes. However, the Tinkerer has explained that the bonded claws can be broken and that Daken only use them in certain situations, such as using them only when he's sure he can deliver a wound without the possibility of the claws being damaged. As they're bonded with the broken shard, they're capable of inflicting wounds that greatly nullify the efficiency of accelerated healing factors. Even those with highly advanced healing factors, such as Wolverine, require several days to fully heal even minor cuts with the blade and the blade is capable of inflicting wounds that would be immediately fatal.
- As he was born in 1946, Daken is in his 70s and is technically Wolverine's oldest son.
- A bisexual, Daken has used his pheromones to entice and arouse or confuse both men and women.
- He once used his pheromones on his former teammate Lester (Bullseye), kissing him to try and calm him down in their fight against the Asgardians.
- He also used his pheromones on Marcus Roston in order to learn of his crime connections in L.A. as well as where to find more of the drug called the Heat.
- It was revealed that Daken had a male lover named Kim who was spared along with Mystique and Viper in a massacre performed by Daken.
- Daken is one of the last known surviving sons of Earth 616 Wolverine besides Erista and Raze Darkholme.
- Much like his father, Daken has three retractable claws in his hands which he uses to kill his enemies, however Daken has two blades that come out of his knuckles and a third one that comes of his wrist.