This Article Contains Spoilers -
WARNING: This article contains major spoilers. If you do not wish to know vital information on plot / character elements in a story, you may not wish to read beyond this warning: We hold no responsibility for any negative effects these facts may have on your enjoyment of said media should you continue. That is all.
|This article's content is marked as Mature|
The page Mature contains mature content that may include coarse language, sexual references, and/or graphic violent images which may be disturbing to some. Mature pages are recommended for those who are 18 years of age and older.
If you are 18 years or older or are comfortable with graphic material, you are free to view this page. Otherwise, you should close this page and view another page.
|“||You humans are so miserable. No matter how hard you try, this is all you got. How unfortunate.||„|
|~ Daki to Tanjiro Kamado in Human and Demon|
Daki, (born Ume) and also known as Warabihime in her oiran guise, is a major antagonist of Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba. She is the secondary antagonist in Red Light District Arc.
Daki was a member of the Twelve Kizuki, holding the position of Upper Rank Six alongside her brother Gyuutarou, the real Upper Rank Six who shared the same body with her.
She is to be voiced by Miyuki Sawashiro in the upcoming anime.
Daki is a vain, cruel, hateful and arrogant individual who takes enjoyment toying with her victims, and she seems to be very insufferable to failure, just like her master Muzan Kibutsuji, as she even quarelled to her brother in their final moments after being slain, shouting that someone so hideous does not deserve to be her brother. She also possess childish streak, due to being transformed when she was only thirteen years old, tending to throw tantrum towards anything that does not go in her own intentions.
Deep down, however, Daki deeply cares about her brother and is grateful to his protective attitude even after their tragedy and subsquent transformation. After her death, Daki reconciled with Gyuutarou in the afterlife, likely a result of being inspired by Tanjiro's exhortation and remembering her past experience.
As a human, Daki was originally a kind and honest girl, but could get convinced very easily. Her brothers' experience as well as his cynical viewpoint of the world became a vital point of influence to shape her personality. Their personality and life mirrors and also contrasts to that between Tanjiro and Nezuko.
Daki was born many years ago with the birth name of "Ume" in the Entertainment District's Rashomongasi (Lowest Caste) area, where only sick prostitutes, geishas and oirans who could no longer work in the brothels were sent and left to die. Her birth mother was a prostitute there, having given birth to her elder brother a few years before. Her biological father is never mentioned, but was likely one of her mother's customers. Her brother noted their mother to be severely mentally unstable (most likely due to the district's extremely harsh and poor living conditions), having attempted to kill herself and her son numerous times as well. She also physically abused him due to not having the finances to keep him fed, forcing him to fend for himself. When Ume was born, their mother hated her due to her hair color and eyes and would try and kill her. One day, their mother tried to cut Ume’s hair off with a razor, but Gyutaro became enraged and went on a rampage. This lead to their mother distancing herself from them. Ume was primarily raised by her elder brother until her early teen years, when her mother passed away from the disease Ume, the same sickness she was then named after.
Gyuutarou noted that, even as a young child, Ume had an incredibly beautiful face that even grown men and women would falter from looking at. She was so beautiful that if she smiled, she would be given things; leading to the nickname Shiraume. This gave him hope that the both of them could rise from poverty and be able to lead a better life by being scouted and eventually recruited to work in one of the most prestigious Brothels of the district. And just as he had hoped, Ume, in her early teen years, was finally chosen to work in one of the Entertainment District's High Class Brothels. She began receiving proper education, taught the proper skills and fed the finest foods in her training to become a Oiran, and even before her training was even completed, Ume had already begun making a fortune by attracting many suitors and customers to the brothel, due to her beauty. At the same time, her elder brother began working as her "Collector" and would collect money and debts owed to the brothel.
However, this all came to an end when Ume, poked out the eye of a samurai, a customer of hers, when he insulted her brother while her brother was away collecting debts. In retaliation to this, she was tied, bound, burned alive and left to die in a ditch. She was then discovered by her brother, who began to hysterically panic upon seeing her near-death state. They were then discovered by the same samurai she blinded, accompanied by the Manager of the House she worked in. The pair attempted to kill both Ume and Gyuutarou, only to be killed by her brother instead, who then picked up his sister’s charred body and carried her around town in search of help. His struggle turned out to be in vain, as he came to the realization that no one would help them.
As Gyuutarou collapsed from exhaustion and fatigue from his severe wounds, Doma, who was Upper Rank Six at the time, happened upon the siblings while wandering the district in search of beautiful Geishas to devour. Taking pity on them, he offered to help the pair by turning them into Demons, claiming that it was because he was a "nice guy". He then challenged them to become strong enough to be chosen by Muzan Kibutsuji and join the Twelve Kizuki alongside himself.
Many years after becoming a Demon, Daki had already gained a reputation for her cruelty, such that senile elders remembered her ill-temper and demanded for "hime" (meaning "princess") to be added to her name. The activities of both her and her brother eventually caught the attention of Muzan Kibutsuji, who acknowledged their strength and power and officially allowed them to join the Twelve Kizuki and both were given the rank of Upper Rank Six.
At some point, Daki fought, killed and ate seven Hashira.
Two days before Tanjiro Kamado and company infiltrated the Entertainment District, Daki was confronted by Omitsu, the manager of the Kyogoku House, over her mistreatment of the staff. When the hostess revealed her knowledge of Daki's past and extended lifespan, the Upper Rank seized her. Carrying her far above the district, Daki mocked Omitsu for her stupidity, labeled her as inedible, and dropped her to her death. Returning to her room, Daki was surprised to see Muzan Kibutsuji. Bowing to her master, she listened as he praised her for her new-found strength, cautioned her against getting careless, and stated his high hopes for her as a special Demon.
Entertainment District Arc
Walking with several assistants, Daki passed under Tengen Uzui's watchful gaze undetected in her oiran guise. Later, using her Demonic sash, she questioned Makio about the letters she had been sending. Sensing Inosuke Hashibira's presence, Daki's sash fled.
Daki appeared behind Zenitsu Agatsuma as Warabihime, demanding to know what he was doing in someone else's room, and quickly grew irritated at his lack of a response. She extended this irritation to two girls who tried to defend Zenitsu, insulting the young Demon Slayer before viciously abusing a crying girl for not cleaning a room fast enough. Her anger grew as Zenitsu grabbed her wrist to stop her cruelty.
Daki hit the youth through several walls, threatening him with further discipline, but stopped when the master of the brothel begged her to. Apologizing to him, she ordered Zenitsu's wounds to be treated and the mess from her fit of anger cleaned up. The Upper Rank then pondered over Zenitsu's identity, noting he might be a Demon Slayer. Later, in her room, she gloated over the success of her plan, promising to kill and eat all of her enemies.
Daki then appeared behind Koinatsu, seeking to eat her before she left to be married. She was then confronted by Tanjiro Kamado while restraining her fellow oiran and questioned him about the amount of backup he had, including when the Hashira would arrive. Dismissing the youth for his weakness, Daki soon grew enraged when he demanded she released Koinatsu and attacked the Demon Slayer with her sashes. Noting that he had survived, she complimented Tanjiro's eyes, wishing to eat them. She briefly clashed with the young Demon Slayer again, noting his skill in only severing the section of sash containing Koinatsu, but confidently proclaimed his doom regardless.
She then expressed irritation at her foes' interfering actions, asking Tanjiro about his backup again. Despite his refusal, she offered to let him live if he told her, noting that in their brief clash his sword had been chipped. She also stated that whoever had forged the blade was a terrible blacksmith, and quickly grew irritated once more when her opponent denied this, promising to kill him with her next attack. Launching said attack, Daki was shocked when Tanjiro cut through her sashes with a Hinokami Kagura technique. Noting the change in his sword style, she dodged his next attack, countering with an attack of her own. Missing due to another Hinokami Kagura technique, the Upper Rank turned to face her opponent just as his blade struck her neck.
Her decapitated head then fell to the ground, facing the head of Gyuutarou. As their heads began to disintegrate, Daki screamed at her brother, blaming him for their defeat and claiming that "an unsightly thing like [him] could never be [her] sibling", while Gyuutarou retaliated that Daki was weak and did nothing to help. Saddened by the siblings' bickering, Tanjiro then stepped in, covering Gyuutarou's mouth to stop him from screaming abuse at his sister and pleading with them to try and get along, as they only had each other left in the world. Daki began to cry, wailing that she didn't want to die; however, her head finally disintegrated, leaving Gyuutarou alone. As Gyuutarou began to remember their life before becoming demons, Daki appeared to him in her original form as Ume, asking him where they were going and to take her along with him. He initially rejected her, sharply telling her not to follow him. However, Ume suddenly embraced him tightly, apologizing for her past words and crying out that they were siblings and she would never let him go. The pair then departed to the afterlife, with Gyuutarou carrying Daki on his back as he had always done before.
Powers and Abilities
- Overall Abilities: Daki is noted to be a powerful Demon, having been personally acknowledged by Muzan himself as being a "special Demon". This is further given credence as she was able to overwhelm and hold the advantage over Tanjiro Kamado, Nezuko Kamado, Zenitsu Agatsuma and Inosuke Hashibira—all of whom were talented combatants, backing up her initial claims as being one of the Twelve Kizuki. However, her rank and position among the Upper Ranks is only thanks to her brother's powers and abilities that enhance her own.
- Enhanced Strength: As a Demon who harbors an extremely high concentration of Muzan Kibutsuji's blood, Daki possesses incredible physical strength. This is shown when she punched a hole through a roof and could lift up an elderly woman with her bare hands.
- Flesh Manipulation: Daki's main Blood Demon Art is to freely manipulate her flesh into various structures, mainly a cloth sash, which complements her beauty and looks. She can even morph and shift her flesh to have the properties of a cloth sash, as seen when she transformed her neck into a long sash of cloth to avoid being decapitated by Tanjiro.
- Hair Manipulation: Daki also displayed the ability to manipulate her hair as a weapon, as she attempted to attack Inosuke with clumps of her hair after he successfully decapitated her and took her head from her body to prevent her from reattaching it.
- Immense Speed and Reflexes: Daki is extremely fast, especially in terms of her attack speed, being capable of evading the senses of several Demon Slayers at once with her blinding attacks.
- Immense Regeneration: Daki is shown to have powerful regenerative abilities, as seen when she was able to easily heal herself after being burned alive by Nezuko's Blood Demon Art, and was able to regrow her severed sash tentacles seconds after they were cut off. Daki was also shown to be able to easily reattach her severed head despite being repeatedly decapitated by Tengen and Inosuke.
- Psychic Connection: Daki has the ability to share her senses and mind with her elder brother, and also allow him to control her body by implanting one of his eyes into her forehead. Through this eye, she can send him logistical information through this link in order for them to better coordinate their attacks. At the same time, this ability also enhances all of Daki's own existing abilities and enhances her own sense of sight, due to her being implanted with one of her brother's eyes. This is seen when she's able to easily keep up with Zenitsu while he's using his incredibly fast Thunder Breathing techniques.
- Decapitation Immunity: While her brother is "sleeping" inside of her or when his "core" is implanted inside of her body, Daki is completely immune to death by decapitation. This is showcased when, despite being repeatedly decapitated by Tengen and Inosuke, Daki's body showed absolutely no signs of disintegration. As the Demon Slayers quickly realize, the only way to bypass this immunity is if Gyutaro himself is simultaneously decapitated alongside her.
- Unlimited Stamina and Endurance: Daki possesses absolute and infinite stamina and vitality, never tiring and always remaining in optimal physical and mental condition.
Blood Demon Art
- Sash Manipulation: Daki can manipulate the sashes she dons on because they are made using her flesh. When engaging in combat, she shapes her clothing into dozens of sashes as sharp as blades and as durable as shields, making it a perfect blend of offense and defense.
- Flesh Obi (蚯蚓帯 Mimizu Obi): Daki has also displayed the ability to create sentient flesh detachments from her own body, as seen when she was able to create living Flesh Sashes to guard and protect her "store house" and watch over her "meat", and again when she created another living sash to monitor and watch over Hinatsuru as she suspected her of being a spy for the Demon Slayers.
- Telepathic Connection: Daki has also shown the ability to telepathically communicate and monitor things through her living sashes, as seen when she was able to easily observe Inosuke's battle against her Sash detachment and was later able to have a full on conversation with it to give it new orders on how to deal with him.
- Flesh Storing: Whenever Daki's finds a "beautiful" human that she wants to eat, she would usually "store" them inside her Flesh Sashes. Seemingly trapping them within the sashes and transforming them from 3 dimensional beings into 2 dimensional flat designs within her Obi Sashes, that also puts them into a deep sleep while they're trapped inside, allowing Daki to store a considerable amount of "food" in storage for later consumption. However a weakness to this is the fact that in order to free someone from the sashes one must simply cut it apart while making sure to avoid cutting the people trapped inside, immediately freeing anyone and returning them to their previous form.
Daki's attacks revolve around using her flesh tentacles that are shaped and retain the properties of sashes. Since her flesh is the source of her sashes, she can generate dozens of them to overwhelm the enemy while still properly defending herself.
- Eight Layered Obi Slash (八重帯斬りYae Obigiri)- Daki uses 8 extensions of her obi to create simultaneous sash attacks in order to cut down her opponent.
- Daki means fallen princess in Japanese.
- Ume is Japanese slang for syphilis.
- Like Rui and the Spider Family as a whole, both Daki and Gyuutarou can be considered as the villainous counterparts to Tanjiro and Nezuko.
- They are both pairs of siblings fighting and caring deeply for each other. However, Tanjro and Nezuko, at least back when she was human, can live independent from each other and think about other people, while Daki and Gyuutarou only care about each other.
- Finally, in extreme situations, Tanjirou would (reluctantly) abandon Nezuko to fulfill his duty as a demon hunter, while Gyuutarou will only have his sister as his sole priority.
- Daki's personality constrasts that of Nezuko. Nezuko used to be, and somewhat still is, a nice and mature girl who would never harm a human intentionally, while Daki is a selfish womanchild who only thinks about herself and her brother and enjoys killing her victims.