This Villain was Headlined on March, 2015.
This Villain was proposed and approved by Villains Wiki's Pure Evil Proposals Thread. Any act of removing this villain from the category without a Removal Proposal shall be considered vandalism (or a futile "heroic" attempt of redemption) and the user will have high chances of being
|“||I. Am. The. New. God. All is one in Darkseid. This mighty body is my church. When I command your surrender, I speak with three billion voices. When I make a fist to crush your resistance. It is with three billion hands. When I stare into your eyes and shatter your dreams. And break your heart. It is with six billion eyes. Nothing like Darkseid has ever come among you; nothing will again. I will take you to a hell without exit or end. And there I will murder your souls! And make you crawl and beg! And die! Die! DIE FOR DARKSEID!||„|
|“||What will you do when your friends, your enemies, your lover, are all Darkseid? When there is one body. One mind. One Will. One Life that is Darkseid. Will you be the enemy of all existence, then?||„|
|~ Darkseid to Superman.|
|“||The most powerful beings of this Earth...CRUSHED and HELPLESS at my feet. And once this planet is consumed...I'll send my forces out to slaughter any ragtag survivors who slipped through my grasp. Such is the annihilation that is Darkseid!||„|
Uxas, better known as Darkseid, is one of the main antagonists of DC Comics. Initially serving as the main antagonist of the New Gods comic book series, he later became one of the three main antagonists (alongside Lex Luthor and Brainiac) of the Superman franchise and one of the three main antagonists (alongside Vandal Savage and Anti-Monitor) of the Justice League franchise.
He is a merciless and tyrannical member of an extraterrestrial race of deities known as New Gods. He rules over the nightmarish world of Apokolips alongside the multiple other worlds he has conquered. He seeks to conquer all life using the the Anti-Life Equation to bind all living things to his will. As a New God, his true form exists outside the universe in a realm called the Fourth World.
He is the archenemy of Orion, his son, Highfather, Wonder Woman, Mister Miracle, the rest of New Genesis, the Justice League, and the whole DCU, especially Superman, and is widely regarded as one of, if not, the DC universe's most powerful and malevolent villains of all time.
Powers and Abilities
The evil New God Darkseid is one of the most powerful beings in the DC Multiverse and has conquered entire universes through his immeasurable powers, iron will, cunning intellect and the military might of the entire realm of Apokolips that worships him as the God of Evil. While thought of as just like any other New God, Darkseid is in fact an entity as a result of the host bonding themselves with the Omega Effect. Uxas is the best known Darkseid however currently Lex Luthor is the New Darkseid. His true power can be measured with the likes of Trigon and the Anti-Monitor.
New God Physiology
The beings of Apokolips and New Genesis are cosmic beings and live in a realm called the Fourth World which is outside normal space and time. Their strength is due to their relative proximity to the Source, a mysterious energy which fuels the divine powers of the beings in Apokolips and New Genesis, as well as other powerful beings in the DC Multiverse. The New Gods are singular through the Multiverse and exist in every universe as manifestations of their true selves.
- Supernatural Strength: Uxas is a very powerful being from the planet Apokolips. His strength easily exceeds 100 tons as he is one of the strongest characters in the DC universe. However, his strength varies on his incarnation. Despite his strength fluctuations, his strength alone is a force to be reckoned with. He can easily destroy colossal objects, overpower far stronger characters especially cosmic beings, has the capability to bend and break any man-made material, lift massive objects, and easily demolish immensely fortified infrastructures. His strength is so great that he can easily overpower the entire Justice League, including heavy hitters such as superman and wonder woman. He has also been shown destroying a Green Lantern Ring with his bare hand, and he once effortlessly punched Superman into the Source Wall. He has even fought against the immeasurably powerful Anti-Monitor in single combat, as well as Alan Scott powered by an entire Multiverse's worth of elemental forces.
- Supernatural Mobility: Due to Darkseid's New God Physiology, he can think, react, and move much faster than a well rounded Olympic Athlete who engages in everyday exercise. Although not as fast (although certainly comparable) as speedsters such as Flash and Superman, his speed is great enough to surprise and even outreact them on some occasions and keep up with them in a fight, especially whilst in flight. Depending on the incarnation in question he can react within either microseconds or nanoseconds. His most notable speed feat was when he flew to the source wall (which is located at the very edge of the universe) in just a few seconds, as well as the time when Darkseid managed to choke out pre-crisis superman before he could even see him move.
- Supernatural Stamina: Darkseid's tissues don't create fatigue toxins resulting in him having inexhaustible stamina. He can fight for as long as it takes and can outlast even the most durable of opponents.
- Invulnerability: Darkseid is extremely resistant to all forms of physical and mental harm. Darkseid's full durability capacity varies depending on the incarnation. Due to how powerful and durable Darkseid is, human weapons will not even faze him, with bullets, rockets, bombs and lasers leaving no mark on him, and high-voltage energy emissions will not penetrate through him. He is in fact so durable that Lobo couldn't hurt him at all and only ended up hurting his own fists by punching Darkseid. He is completely immune to all earthly diseases and viruses. His incredible durability has also rendered him completely immune to the power of a Green Lantern ring and a tremendously powerful master-blaster. He can also withstand direct strikes from Anti-Monitor and his Anti-Matter blasts, a point blank planetary explosion, a bomb designed to rip apart existence, multiple dimensions collapsing on him or even Alan Scott as the Multiversal embodiment of the Green and the other elemental representations. As well as divine indestructible weapons such as Aquaman's Trident and Wonder Woman's Sword, forged by the Olympian God Hephaestus. One of his manifestations has also managed to overpower and kill Doomsday (although Doomsday quickly resurrected after being killed by an Omega Blast). Darkseid is remarkably resistant if not outright immune to the effects of mental manipulation, matter manipulation, time manipulation and even reality warping. It has taken the entire Justice League to cause him some sort of serious distress.
- Healing: Darkseid can heal from every wound, such as being stabbed through the eyes, remarkably fast like the time his eye was injured on Earth 2 during a fight with the heroes of that world, but was fine in the next fight, moments later, having regained use of his dreaded Omega Blasts. The Spectre once reduced Darkseid to ashes only to have the New God return to life. Darkseid can heal from any form of wound near-instantly, making him impossible to kill.
- Immortality: As a New God, Darkseid is immortal and has an extended lifespan which allows him to exist indefinitely. He doesn't age, wither, or degrade. He has been reduced to nothing before by the Spectre but it has been shown that he reformed his body shortly thereafter.
- Immunity to disease: Like all the New Gods, Darkseid's divine biology allows him to have an immunity to disease. Despotellis couldn't spread the New Gods with a disease due to their immunity.
Darkseid is fueled by the Omega Effect which is a force of entropy from the destructive side of the Source. He can use the Omega Effect in a plethora of ways.
- Omega Beams: Darkseid's most destructive use of the Omega Effect. He focuses this power as a form of concussion that fires from his eyes. He has complete control over it that he can change its path or its intended purpose at will allowing for teleportation, transmutation, instant disintegration, power disabling or erasion. He can make it travel in a straight line, curve, bend, or sharply twist around corners. These beams can even split up and lock onto a target's atomic frequency making them near impossible to avoid. When it hits a target, it quickly reduces the target into nothing. His Omega Beams are proven ineffective against Wonder Woman's bracelets, as they were created from the Olympian Aegis. Nothing has been said to survive the full Omega Effect (even Doomsday died by the blast, before near instantly coming back to life). Darkseid has tore off the armor of Anti-Monitor during Crisis on Infinite Earths as well as Imperiex Prime during Our Worlds at War. Darkseid once nearly killed a weakened Anti Monitor with the Omega Beams and again pierced Anti-Monitor's shell and brought him to his knees during the Darkseid war. The beams at their most powerful can also destroy planets.
- Telepathy: Darkseid can easily read minds of others anywhere in the Universe. He can also attack them telepathically and invade their thoughts.
- Avatar: Darkseid revealed he is an avatar of his true omnipotent self, when he was talking to Anarky. This is due to the fact that the New Gods are unique and don't have alternative versions through the Multiverse, but only one "true" New God exists for an infinite number of universes. These avatars are frequently used in place of Darkseid venturing outside the Fourth World but are still a projection of his mind, will and power only less powerful in comparison to his true form.
- Mind Control: Darkseid can control the actions and perception of multiple individuals at once.
- Telekinesis: Darkseid can mentally influence the movement of other objects to move with the use of his mind. He has been able to cause windstorms with his telekinesis or even move entire planets across the universe.
- Flight / Levitation: Darkseid can fly at incredible speeds or levitate effortlessly.
- Matter Manipulation: With the use of the Omega Effect, Darkseid can dissipate and disperse molecules from an object or organism. He can create life or erase them out of existence. He could also use it to control the internal reactions of an organism such as to de-evolve it.
- Energy Manipulation: Darkseid can manipulate energy for various purposes, such as separating Firestorm or creating blasts that can take down the entire Justice League instantly. Darkseid is so powerful that he completely destroyed the colossal planet of the Old Gods in one single move during his first fight with Highfather.
- Energy Enhanced Strike: Darkseid can charge his strikes with energy, increasing their effectiveness to a devastating degree, being able to smash planets and take down entire teams of incredibly powerful heroes.
- Energy Shield / Force Field: Darkseid can create energy shields and barriers, powerful enough to withstand the universe affecting blasts of Orion's Astroforce and other powerful cosmic attacks.
- Dimensional Manipulation: Darkseid can open portals and travel through different dimensions and universes. He can also project his will anywhere in the multiverse.
- Necromancy: Darkseid has been known to raise the dead back to life on multiple occasions.
- Soul Manipulation: Darkseid can manipulate and corrupt the souls of individuals when he sees fit
- Teleportation: Darkseid can teleport himself and other beings anywhere in the universe.
- Size Alteration: He can easily manipulate his size, density and mass.
- Astral Projection: Darkseid can project himself in the astral plane, like the time he fought against Highfather.
- Cosmic Sense: As a powerful cosmic being, Darkseid can sense important events and changes throughout the Multiverse in space and time. He is powerful enough to make other powerhouses such as Monarch and Superman Prime into pawns on a chessboard.
- Power Distribution: Darkseid can grant individuals a fraction of his Omega Force or create new powerful minions such as Omega Superman who could match Dr Fate, Stayne who could match Takion and even Eclipso who could match Spectre.
- Omega Sanction: One of the most disastrous effects the Omega Effect can give. It can be described as a living hell for it traps the organism in am endless series of alternate realities, each one worse than the previous.
The Anti-Life Equation
Like all Dark Gods, Darkseid long sought the means to rule everything in creation. He realized that despite his vast power, his enemy was choice. It was free will that kept Scott Free strong despite the years of punishment. It was free will that quelled Orion's fiery heart, who chose to protect the ways of New Genesis and focused his rage on Darkseid. Yes, free will, choice, is an enemy. When Darkseid discovered that there was an Anti-Life Equation, a formula that would stamp out free will and allow him to mold and rule the universe at his whims as he ruled and molded despair ridden Apokolips, he essentially dedicated his life to uncovering this equation. He eventually found it during his trip through the Multiverse and used it to start the Final Crisis story arc.
- Genius-Level Intellect: Darkseid possesses intelligence that surpasses even the greatest minds in the universe. He has perfect memory, and is able to perceive all cause and effect relations, and can deduce the path to any effect, allowing him to plan, analyze, and take action with absolute efficiency. With this he is an excellent strategist and leader, and has proven that not only sheer force of strength and power has aided him in battles.
- Tactical Analysis: He is a master planner and strategist and his armies are nearly unbeatable under his leadership. As a strategist, he can always achieve optimal results, perfectly anticipating all variables and their opponents' every move. These calculations can lead to extremely complicated planning in the long run, which always ends up being successful. In short, he is flawless tacticians. They understand everything, are always several steps ahead of everyone else, are impossible to catch off-guard, and always achieve the best possible results.
- Intimidation: With his frightening visage and ruthless nature, Darkseid instills fear in friend and foe alike, something that causes even torturers like Desaad to fear him.
- Expert Combatant: Darkseid is a highly trained Apokoliptian warrior. He has held his own against powerful opponents, such as Superman. Despite his impressive fighting skills, however, Darkseid rarely resorts to personal combat to defeat his foes. Instead, he uses his servants to defeat his enemies for him. Apparently, Darkseid only fights opponents he deems worthy, such as Superman, Batman or Orion.
- Indomitable Will: Darkseid possesses an extraordinary control over his emotions, despite his reputation of anger and hatred towards all living things. His son Orion lacks such willpower.
- Shao Kahn
- The Elite
- Female Furies
- Lex Luthor (at times)
- Joker (at times)
- Brainiac (one-sided, on Brainiac's side)
- Vandal Savage
- Parasite (pawns)
- Professor Zoom
- Harley Quinn (formerly)
- Dr. Psycho (formerly)
- Orion (son, adoptive nephew and great enemy)
- Mister Miracle (nephew, adoptive son and heroic counterpart)
- Izaya the Highfather (older brother archenemy and heroic counterpart)
- Yuga Khan (his own father, the one being he fears)
- Justice League
- Wonder Woman
- The Flash
- Green Lantern (Hal Jordan)
- Supergirl/Power Girl
- Damian Wayne
- Big Barda (adoptive daughter in law)
- Green Lantern Corps
- Guardians of the Universe
- Lex Luthor (sometimes)
- Joker (sometimes)
- Red Lantern Corps
- Sinestro Corps
- One Earth Regime
- Regime Superman
- Regime Wonder Woman
- Gods of Olympus
- Dr. Manhattan
|“||New Genesis is a stinking cosmic sewer. I have fouled paradise beyond repair and broken in the mire the shining cities of the gods. I have won! Is this vanity? Then I will remake the entire universe in the image of my soul, Desaad. And when at last I turn to look upon the eternal desolation I have wrought, I will see Darkseid, as in a mirror, and know what fear is.||„|
|“||I like you, Glorious Godfrey! You're a shallow, precious child — the Revelationist — happy with the sweeping sound of words! But I am the Revelation! The Tiger-Force at the core of all things! When you cry out in your dreams — it is Darkseid that you see!||„|
|~ Darkseid, The Forever People vol. 1 #3.|
|“||Little Girl: Grandpa! That man is scary! Make him go away!
Man: Hush, child! It's not polite to embarrass strangers!
Little Girl: I'm afraid Grandpa!
Man: Why this gentleman is probably in the cast of some show, here! Aren't you, sir?
|~ Darkseid, The Forever People vol. 1 #4.|
|“||Glorious Godfrey: On your knees for the master! The hour has come! HE has come! Who is beyond good and evil? Who is the prophet of Anti-Life? Who is the Rock, the Chain, and the Lightning? All powerful! All unforgiving! All conquering! WHO IS YOUR NEW GOD NOW AND FOREVER?
Darkseid: Darkseid is.
|~ Darkseid, JLA #13.|
|“||The gods don't give a damn about us.||„|
|“||It would have made little difference. The forge dims by the moment. The creations of the one who laughs have no real souls. They have no hopes, no fears. They think only of winning. In moments, when your friends die, the fire will go dark.||„|
- Darksied was created by the late Jack Kirby.
- Darkseid is actually much more powerful than he appears, as his kind are stated to exist beyond the DC multiverse and are unaffected by retcons or similar. During Morrison's run on the comics, the concept of a "true" Darkseid was explored, which suggests that every version of Darkseid we have seen so far is just a tiny fragment of a larger entity that has not been fully revealed (and quite possibly may never be revealed, due to its sheer scale). This also applies to the other members of his race referred to as the New Gods.
- Darkseid was one of the two main villains of the Justice League series, the second being Vandal Savage and was originally the main villain of the New Gods.
- Although Darkseid is known today as irredeemably evil, his character wasn't always planned like so: when Jack Kirby was plotting the ending of his New Gods saga, he actually intended for Darkseid to see the error of his ways and save Orion at the cost of his own life. However, after Kirby saw Darth Vader's heroic sacrifice in Return of the Jedi, he felt that the idea was too similar and nixed it.
- Surprisingly, however, it has been confirmed that in spite of his evil, Darkseid does hold love towards Orion, due to the latter being his son, albeit in a twisted way, wanting the latter to rule the universe alongside him. Therefore, Orion is the only hero that Darkseid cares for and tries to avoid killing, and doesn't take pleasure in having to do so when there is no other choice as seen when he finally killed Orion in Final Crisis.
- Darkseid is the inspiration for Thanos of Marvel comics, as stated several times by Thanos original creators. However, there are significant differences regarding the two in terms of goals. Although Thanos is interested in enslaving the universe like Darkseid, he is mostly motivated by his desire of being loved by Lady Death, and he was never intended to be a metaphor of tyranny like Darkseid.
- Darkseid fought Thanos in an episode of the Rooster Teeth series DEATH BATTLE! and won the battle.
- Darkseid is mentioned in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and Justice League as an impending threat. He is implied to become the main antagonist of the whole DC Extended Universe. Going by storyboards for Zack Snyder's original vision for Justice League, Darkseid was originally meant to appear in the film but ended up being cut when Snyder stepped down during production for personal reasons, and the film was overhauled.
- Darkseid's role of working alongside Cyborg Superman in the Reign of the Superman animated film essentially replaces Mongul who had that role in that storyline in the comics. Another irony is that while Cyborg Superman worked for Darkseid in the film, in the comics Mongul was forced to work for Cyborg Superman.
- He is the icon of the cleanup template.
- Although Darkseid is infamous for his absolute cruelty towards others, there has been one instance where he showed genuine love for someone; that being his first wife, Suli, who brought a different side to him that made him calm and in peace. His mother, Heggra, did not approve of their marriage and forced Desaad to poison Suli, in hopes her death would harden Darkseid's heart. When Darkseid learned of this, he forced Desaad to kill Heggra out of revenge and have absolute control over Apokolips.
- Despite their love, Darkseid's love did not extend to their son, Kalibak, as he would punish and kill him without hesitation, should he ever fail him. Though he would eventually resurrect him, believing his death would teach him a lesson.
Alexis Luthor| Blight | Brainiac | Composite Superman | Computo | Controllers | Cosmic King | Dark Circle | Darkseid | Dominators | Drax | Emerald Empress | Evillo | Fatal Five | Glorith | Grimbor | Hunter | Infinite Man | Justice League of Earth | Khunds | Legion of Super-Villains | Leland McCauley | Lightning Lord | Mano | Mordru | Nemesis Kid | Ol-Vir | Omega | Persuader | Pulsar Stragrave | Ra's al Ghul | Roxxas | Saturn Queen | Sklarian Raiders | Starfinger | Sun-Eater | Superboy-Prime | Taurus Gang | Tharok | Time Trapper | Tyr | Universo | Validus | Vandal Savage | White Triangle
Bad Samaritan | Blackfire | Black Lantern Corps | Bolt | Brainiac | Brother Blood | Brotherhood of Evil | Captain Fear | Chemo | Clayface | Crazy Quilt | Darkseid | Deathstroke | Doctor Sivana | Doomsday | Eclipso | Egg Fu | Eradicator | Fearsome Five | Felix Faust | Firefly | Gorilla Grood | Intergang | Java | Joker | King Shark | Kobra Cult | Lady Shiva | Lex Luthor | Manhunters | Marine Marauder | Meltdown | Mister Freeze | Nuclear Family | Penguin | Psimon | Ra's al Ghul | Secret Society of Super Villains | Shockwave | Shrapnel | Simon Stagg | Steppenwolf | Tattooed Man | Tobias Whale | Vandal Savage
Atrocitus | Brainiac | Carol Ferris | Darkseid | Deathstroke | Devilance | Doomsday | Fat Whutzat | Klarion the Witch Boy | Lady Styx | Lobo | Mudboy | Neron | Royal Flush Gang | Santa Claus | Snake | Sunny Jim | Superboy-Prime