|This villain was proposed but was rejected by the community for not being heinous enough or lacks what is necessary to be a Pure Evil villain. Therefore, this villain shall be added to our "Never Again List", where proposed villains rejected by the community shall be placed to prevent future proposals of the same evil-doer. They can be proposed again (with the permission of an administrator) if new elements appear in their series that can change their status as non-PE villains.|
Any act of adding this villain to the Pure Evil category without a proposal or creating a proposal for this villain without the permission of an administrator will result in a ban.
|“||My life, my skills, my creations...I dedicated them all to the great All For One. As of right now, you are but a shadow of the man he was. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I hate you. This is all just for my sake. I wish to see if you are worthy of my everything. What can a twenty-or-so piece of garbage, who hasn't accomplished a single thing, possibly have to show for himself? Let me see, Tomura Shigaraki.||„|
|~ Ujiko demanding what Tomura hopes to bring to the table.|
|“||Sounds like something out of a child's pipe dream!! I'm impressed you could say that with a straight face!! Alright, I'm in! I'll lend you my strength, Tomura Shigaraki!! Let's see what you can do!! After all, villains are those who bring pipe dreams to life!!||„|
|~ Ujiko agreeing to provide his work with Tomura Shigaraki.|
Dr. Kyudai Garaki, also better known by his villainous alias Daruma Ujiko, is a major antagonist in the manga/anime series My Hero Academia. He is one of All For One's loyal servants and has been nursing him ever since his first defeat against All Might. He is also the scientist that is in charge of creating the Nomus.
Following All For One's arrest, Ujiko remained silent in the shadows and continued on with his work on the Nomus. He eventually reached out to Tomura Shigaraki and agreed to provide his services to him after hearing his motivation for destroying society.
Kyudai has shown to be a bit deranged and psychotic as he's shown to express pride and obsession over the creation of his Nomus, as well as badmouth Tomura Shigaraki. However, he is not completely insane, as he appears to know how reality works, as shown when he makes fun of Tomura for his motivation on destroying society simply out of pure hatred.
He also appears to prefer keeping himself hidden in the shadows as he demanded the League of Villains to keep their distance away from him and will only show himself if he feels they've proven themselves. Because of this secretive nature, he is never seen out of his hideout and speaks to his fellow villains via through electrical communication devices.
Like Gigantomachia, Daruma admires All For One and has been a loyal follower of his for many years. Although he believes Tomura is not fit to be his successor and mocks him for having such childish motives, he is open to cooperating with him out of respect for his master and also he too is interested in seeing what Tomura plans to do with the League of Villains. Later, it is revealed that Daruma and All For One were genuine friends, and he appreciates All For One's support throughout their career to the point where he tears up.
Outside of his secret experimental work, he presents himself as a friendly and caretaking doctor to his co-workers and patients at his hospital. Due to this, he earned himself the reputation as being a well-respected and genuine man from various communities.
Despite the unethical manner of his experiments, Kyudai shows a more compassionate side towards his creations as revealed in the Paranormal Liberation War Arc. He genuinely cares about his Nomus no matter what type they are, as seen with his grief when Mirko kills his utility Nomu, Johnny and Mocha, and apologises to his army of High-End Nomu for having to leave them to avoid capture.
While often appearing calm and collected, Kyudai does have a more energetic side which is shown with the League's successes and him performing successful operations on Nine and Tomura, showing joy and excitement. At the same time, he does prove to be quite cowardly when faced with danger and being deprived of his safety measures, as shown when the heroes raided his secret lab and began pursuing him.
Kyudai was one of All For One's servants that followed him for many years, under his alias. When All For One took him in, Daruma collected the remaining hands of his family members to showcase what Tomura had done to his family. When Tomura broke down into despair, Daruma asks if he could fix him up, but All For One refused as he believed this to be the first step of teaching Tomura how to control his feelings.
At one point, Kyudai founded the Jaku General Hospital, where he became the chairman of its board. Afterwards, he devoted his time to funding orphanages and nursing homes across nations.
Sometime later, Izuku Midoriya had a doctor's appointment with Kyudai regarding why he did not have a Quirk. Kyudai explained that he was born Quirkless and after an examination on his x-ray, he concluded that Midoriya was not going to develop a Quirk of his own.
Pro Hero Arc
Daruma had eventually reached out to the League of Villains and provided Dabi the first of his newly evolved Nomus, High-End. Following the defeat of High-End at the end of Endeavor, Dabi requested Daruma to take him away and Daruma proceeded to do so.
Meta Liberation Army Arc
Prior to the events of the Hero Billboard Chart JP, Daruma was able to make contact with Tomura and the rest of his villains after Gigantomachia had discovered through his radio. He transported the villains to his hideout where he introduced himself under his alias and showcased the Nomus he's been working on. He proposed to work with Tomura if he proved he was actually capable of proving himself as a worthy successor of All For One.
When Tomura explained his motives to him, Daruma laughed and described them as nothing but a pipe dream. Nonetheless, Daruma agreed to help as he believed Tomura can make that dream into a reality with his resources. His only request was for him to tame Gigantomachia and only then will he provide his full assets to him.
Following the defeat of the Meta Liberation Army, Daruma witnessed that Tomura fulfilled his task. As a result, Daruma kept his word and decided to provide his complete aid to him.
Endeavor Agency Arc
With the rise of the newly formed Paranormal Liberation Front, Tomura seeks out the doctor himself once more in which he requests that he gains more power from him. While he has no problem doing so, Daruma asks why he would even want more power, in which Tomura tells him that he fulfilled his tasks and he wishes to use everything he can to destroy any remnants of All Might.
Pleased with his response, Daruma begins the operation with him. He explains to Tomura that he will gain power greater than even All For One himself and that he might be able to even steal the very Quirk he created; One For All. He warns him that the process would take four months and during this time, he would go through nothing but an experience of endless pain, something that Tomura has no issue with.
Paranormal Liberation Arc
After Kurogiri's true self awakens for a moment, he gives a hint to his former friends: the word "hospital". This information gets relayed to Detective Naomasa Tsukauchi, who suspects that Dr. Kyudai Garaki is associated with the creation of the Nomus after an undercover agent took a picture showing him using one of his utility Nomus, so an army of Pro Heroes raid Jaku General Hospital to search for him. Eraserhead and Endeavor succeed in finding Kyudai, and to their surprise, they find out that he did have a Quirk since it could be disabled with Erasure: a longevity Quirk that slows down aging akin to All For One. Aizawa angrily confronts Kyudai before he is discovered to be a Double clone seemingly created by Twice.
Meanwhile, the real Kyudai is overseeing Tomura's operation while admiring all of the stockpiled Quirks he has in his lab. Suddenly, Mirko charges into the lab, destroying his life's work and killing Johnny by crushing him with a door. Kyudai grieves over Johnny's death, before answering Mirko's question that he is indeed the real deal and not a clone. As she attacks him, a small Nomu intercepts the attack to sacrifice its life for its master. That Nomu is revealed to be named Mocha, who had the Double Quirk sampled from Twice, which allowed him to create a clone of Kyudai the first place. Shocked by the death of another of his creations, Kyudai says that Mocha's bravery will not be in vain and unleashes the army of developing High-End Nomu in his lab to overpower Mirko. He apologises to the High-Ends as he evacuates to avoid capture by the heroes.
The heroes eventually find the lab where Kyudai and Tomura are located, making it their goal to stop Tomura's operation no matter what. In desperation, Kyudai uses the remote to awaken the dormant Tomura, but Present Mic uses his Quirk, Voice, to break all of the machinery in the lab, including Tomura's capsule, leaving him in a death-like state with no pulse. Present Mic then punches Kyudai in the face for causing his friend Shota grief (referring to their interview with Kurogiri) and the doctor bursts into tears, saying that he's only been living for Tomura's sake. Present Mic then drags him across the room and tells him to stop the Nomus. Kyudai reveals his Quirk, Life Force, and talks about how society rejected him for his Quirk Singularity Theory to the point where he was ostracized and exiled, until All For One believed in him. This act of kindness caused Kyudai to look at All For One as a living god from his eyes. Later, Kyudai asks Present Mic if he's Kurogiri's friend, before sinisterly confessing that he had wanted to get Shota Aizawa's Erasure Quirk instead, causing the hero to feel disgust.
When Tomura awakens from his coma, he uses his enhanced Decay to create a spreading decay which destroys the Jaku General Hospital and everyone within. Both Kyudai and Present Mic were saved by Gran Torino before the decay could reach them. Kyudai happily rejoices that while the heroes may have raised the stakes, they've witnessed the miracle of the Symbol of Chaos' rebirth and everything the heroes have built will be destroyed by his hands, which will be the villains' victory.
Powers and Abilities
- Life Force: Kyudai was believed to have been a Quirkless man, based on official reports provided from the police. In truth, however, he possesses a longevity Quirk called Life Force, which expands his lifespan, granting him a more youthful appearance. According to Kyudai himself, he has lived for over 120 years. The Quirk he currently has is a duplicate however, as his original Quirk was offered to All For One.
- Genius intellect: Having devoted his long life to the research of Quirks, Kyudai is incredibly knowledgeable on the subject, while also coming to theorise how Quirks would become more powerful as the generations pass, believing that they would eventually fall out of control (a theory dubbed Quirk Singularity, which he was shunned and ostracised for). Furthermore, he also appears to be a genius in terms of biology and technology, having created the Nomus and being able to store and duplicate Quirks for them. He also found a way to replicate the Quirk-Destroying Bullets, despite not possessing Eri, whose blood cells were the source of the bullets.
- Medical expertise: Kyudai has shown to be a very skilled doctor, as he was able to heal and help All For One recover after the latter had suffered mortal injuries from the Symbol of Evil's first battle with All Might.
- Prior to his proper introduction, it was widely believed that the doctor that examined Midoriya was the same one as the doctor that was seen alongside All For One during his debut, due to the two sharing similar appearances and sharing the same voice actors.
- In addition this, Kōhei Horikoshi revealed that the winged Nomu was the grandson of the doctor that examined Midoriya, likely meaning that Daruma would go as far as to experiment on his own family members, showing how cruel he truly is.
- In the My Hero Academia Official Character Book 2 Ultra Analysis databook, it is revealed that Daruma runs and owns an orphanage, as well as his own private clinics, as means for him and All For One to gather research on Quirks.
- Daruma’s original real name was Maruta Shiga, as his alias pronounced backward as well as translating to "log", likely referring to his plump and fat appearance. However, due to the controversial nature of his name (in which the term “maruta" was associated with the human victims that were experimented on in Japan’s Unit 731 complex during World War II), his name was later updated in the volume releases. When the volume was aired in China, the Chinese government immediately banned the manga series from the country.
- Coincidentally, Kyudai experimenting on humans and converting them into Nomus is similar to how the scientists used human subjects and converted them into horrific weaponry during the experiments, which led many fans to draw comparisons and conclusions.
- He is the only character thus far to willingly offer his own quirk to All For One.
League of Villains
Paranormal Liberation Front