|“||They are wild dogs who roam in packs, hunting down any unfortunate creature who crosses their path. They obey no law of the jungle, and it is said that they can ravage a hunting ground so thoroughly, even the grass and trees perish. Even to call it a pack would be false, where they possess no spirit of cooperation as we do, no sense of right or wrong. They fall on their prey without thinking, following no leader, not caring that they can take more than they eat, not caring if they wipe out all the game out our hunting ground. They hunt for the thrill of the sport and are a threat to every living thing within their reach. A pack of a hundred is nothing less than a whirlwind of doom.||„|
|~ Luri about the Dholes.|
The Dholes are recurring antagonists in the 1989 anime show Jungle Book: Shonen Mowgli and minor antagonists the 1995 animated Italian series Simba the King Lion, and the 1996 animated American series Jungle Cubs. They also appear in Rudyard Kipling's The Second Jungle Book.
They were voiced by Mark Hellman in Jungle Book: Shonen Mowgli, and Jim Cummings in Jungle Cubs, including the pack leader.
Jungle Book: Shonen Mowgli
The Dholes first appear in Baloo's flashback where his mother gets caught in a trap known as the "Cold Fang". His mother tries to fend them off but gets killed, along with Baloo's brother.
They also appear in Fargas' flashback where he gets attacked by them but gets saved by Alexander, Mowgli's adoptive wolf father. Mowgli first encounters a few when they enter Rahhar's campsite where he is. They drive them off by making noise via banging on pots and pans. They later appear as supporting characters in the 22nd episode The Waterfront Truce.
In the 41st episode, Mowgli gets rid of a larger number of them driven into the jungle by drought by luring them to a beehive and they're chased off by the swarm of bees. To escape them, they jump into a river, then when they swim their way out of it, they're mauled to death by the wolves.
Simba the King Lion
They only appear in the 13th episode of the series.
They only appear in the 6th episode of the series. In the episode, the cubs drive the dholes out of the jungle by themselves; with the dogs attempting to attack Khan in the temple where the cubs hung out. Bagheera, Kaa, Hathi, and Louie lure the dholes into a chase, each one hiding after a certain distance to allow another to take over, culminating in Baloo tricking them into falling into a gorge filled with bees.
Appearances in Shonen Mowgli
- The Cold Fang (debut)
- The Lone Wolf Visitor
- Adventures Journey
- Going Back To My Own Jungle
- The Waterfront Truce
- Mowgli Has a Sweet Heart
- The Dhole Invasion
- Run Through the Valley of Death
- Like the cubs (excluding Louie), the wolves and Mowgli, the Dholes are characters adapted from the original novel.
- The Dholes are also the ones who kill Akela in The Second Jungle Book. However, in the anime series, Akela is attacked by a clan of striped hyenas and later dies of his wounds after the battle against the dholes.
- The Dholes resemble the original design of Tabaqui and also Don Karnage. Ironically, both them and their pack leader are both voiced by Jim Cummings.
- Although Luri explained that the dholes have no leader in the anime series, the dholes apparently have a leader in the next episode.