This Villain was Headlined on May, 2015.
|“||Victory is Mine!!||„|
|~ Dastardly's catchphrase.|
|“||Drat, double drat, and triple drat!||„|
| ~ Dick Dastardly's famous quote when defeated.|
Richard Milhous "Dick" Dastardly, also commonly known as Dick Dastardly, or simply known as Dastardly, is a recurring antagonist from many Hanna-Barbera television productions. He is the main protagonist villain of the animated series Wacky Races, its spin off Dastardly and Muttley in their Flying Machines, and the Wacky Races reboot. He is the main antagonist of the 1985 animated series Yogi's Treasure Hunt, the Fender Bender 500 segments of Wake, Rattle, and Roll and of the 1991 animated series Yo Yogi!.
Being an infamous card-carrying villain, Dick Dastardly is very devious, sly, pompous, villainous, manipulative, traitorous and arrogant so he enjoys causing problems of any kind and becomes furious when his plots end in failure.
He attempts to build all kinds of complicated machinery, contraptions and whatnot to trip up his opponents although they mostly end up doing him and his comrades much more harm than good. Although incompetent in his own personal right, he remains persistent in his attempts to spread his villainy.
In the original classic shows and movies, he was voiced by the late Paul Winchell, who also played Beezen in the 1984 My Little Pony series. In the new animated classics, he was voiced by Peter Woodward in the 2017 reboot of the original 1968 cartoon. And Richard McGonagle in 2010-present.
In his first appearance, Dastardly appears as one of the many racers in a cross-country rally and the main antagonist. Along with his dog partner and sidekick Muttley, he piloted the Mean Machine which was equipped with all sorts of traps and hazards that he used in his many attempts to cheat in the race.
However, Dick never won a single race because his plans always failed due to both his and Muttley's incompetence, the other racers already being prepared for his traps somehow or simply his own horribly rotten bad luck. His plans generally backfire on him anyway making him finish last in most races, if he does end the race at all.
Sometimes he did have the opportunity to win the race without cheating but failed to do so because of little details noticed at the last second (to the point that it was shown he could have won had he not cheated in the first place).
Dastardly and Muttley in Their Flying Machines
In his second major appearance as a villain and the main character, Dick and Muttley are joined by two new henchmen named Zilly and Klunk, piloting the planes of the Vulture Squadron. His goal was to catch the pigeon Yankee Doodle for his unseen employer The General. Just like in Wacky Races, all of his plans failed miserably due to the incompetence of not only himself, but his subordinates as well and the pigeon always escaped unscathed while Vulture Squadron is humiliated, forced to retreat and lick their wounds like a pack of wild animals. It also marked the start of Dick Dastardly's continuous failures becoming a running gag.
In the 2017 reboot of Wacky Races, it is shown that the Dick Dastardly in the reboot is the grandson of this Dick Dastardly.
Wacky Races Forever
He was hired by Mr. Vice Roy to win the race so Roy could take over Perfect Industries and of course he failed miserably.
Yogi's Treasure Hunt
In this series, he is the main antagonist. This was similar to the Indiana Jones series. Dick Dastardly and his dog Muttley raced to take the treasure from Yogi Bear's gang for evil deeds. Dastardly always ends up losing when he races against Yogi and company.
Wacky Races (2017)
He appears in the Wacky Races reboot and serves as one of the villain protagonists alongside his old henchdog Muttley. He occasionally works alongside or against Pandora Pitstop, Penelope's jealous sister. Despite his cheating and unpleasant attitude, it is shown that the other racers care about Dick Dastardly, feeling that he's their friend and that racing isn't the same without his cheating attempts.
It is also shown that the Dick Dastardly in the reboot is actually the son/descendant of the original Dick Dastardly.
- Main article: Dick Dastardly (Scoob!)
In the Wacky Races, Dick Dastardly is a simple-minded cheater who attempted to win the race by cheating but failed and ended up last place.
In Dastardly and Muttley, Dick Dastardly is obsessive of his attempt to get promoted from the General by capture Yankee Doodle Pigeon but failed and crashed. Sometimes gives Muttley medals for saving and sometimes he doesn't. Whenever Zilly tries to get away, Dastardly ordered Muttley to capture Zilly.
In the Magnificent Muttley, Dastardly has issues for Muttley when he is daydreaming.
|“||Drat! Drat! and Double Drat!||„|
|~ Dick Dastardly|
|“||Muttley, do something!||„|
|~ Dick Dastardly|
|“||Sometimes I'm so sneaky, I don't even trust myself!||„|
|~ Dick Dastardly|
|“||It's getting harder and harder to be a successful villain!||„|
|~ Dick Dastardly|
|“||Drat Lemon! I hate Lemon pies!||„|
|~ Dick Dastardly after being hit in the face with a pie|
|~ Dick Dastardly when Zilly running away.|
|“||And whipped cream is so fattening too.||„|
|~ Dick Dastardly after got sprayed by whipped cream by Muttley.|
- Dick Dastardly became a kind of go-to villain for various Hanna-Barbera specials and series owing to his easy recognizability.
- His voice actor used the same voice as he did for the even more iconic villain Gargamel from The Smurfs.
- Their physical appearance is also quite similar too.
- Dick Dastardly revealed his favorite food to be ice cream with pineapple pieces, and his least favorite foods are lemon pies and also whipped cream as it is so fattening.
- When the Hanna-Barbera crossover cartoon Laff-A-Lympics was made in the 1970's, it ran into several legal problems with characters they intended to use. Hanna-Barbera's version of Jeannie (I Dream Of Jeannie) was not owned by them, nor were Josie And The Pussycats. Dick Dastardly and Muttley were also victims of this though it was a mistake. Believing that the two were owned or co-owned by another company (they weren't), substitutes were made in the form of the Dread Baron and Mumbly. Mumbly had once been a heroic dog detective who talked in Muttley-speak and in a comic based on Laff-A-Lympics the Baron was revealed to be Dick's identical twin brother.
- Similarly to Gargamel, Dishonest John, Snidely Whiplash, Boris Badenov, Natasha Fatale, Lord Licorice, and the Peculiar Purple Pieman, he is considered to be on the "lower scale of villainy".
- Dick Dastardly bears a striking resemblance to the Peculiar Purple Pieman from Strawberry Shortcake, Mario villain Waluigi (who appeared in the Mario Kart games that cheats and also wears purple), Robbie Rotten from LazyTown, and Dan from The Wacky World of Tex Avery.
- During his childhood he was known as "Dickie".