This Villain was Headlined on October 2019.
This Villain was proposed and approved by Villains Wiki's Pure Evil Proposals Thread. Any act of removing this villain from the category without a Removal Proposal shall be considered vandalism (or a futile "heroic" attempt of redemption) and the user will have high chances of being
This Article Contains Spoilers -
WARNING: This article contains major spoilers. If you do not wish to know vital information on plot / character elements in a story, you may not wish to read beyond this warning: We hold no responsibility for any negative effects these facts may have on your enjoyment of said media should you continue. That is all.
|This article's content is marked as Mature|
The page Mature contains mature content that may include coarse language, sexual references, and/or graphic violent images which may be disturbing to some. Mature pages are recommended for those who are 18 years of age and older.
If you are 18 years or older or are comfortable with graphic material, you are free to view this page. Otherwise, you should close this page and view another page.
|“||Muda, muda, muda, muda, muda, MUDA!||„|
|~ Dio when The World unleashes a barrage of punches in its "Stand Rush".|
|“||Tell me, have you and JoJo kissed yet? I'll take that as a no. You thought your first kiss would be JoJo, but it was I, Dio!||„|
|~ Dio's famous quote to Erina after forcefully kissing her, the end being better known as "Kono Dio da!".|
|~ Dio activating his Stand, "The World", often referred to by its Japanese pronunciation, "Za Warudo!".|
Dio Brando, also known simply as DIO, is the main antagonist of the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure franchise.
He is the main antagonist of both JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders, a minor posthumous antagonist in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind, and the posthumous overarching antagonist of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stone Ocean. He is the sworn enemy of the Joestar family, being hellbent on destroying them in his quest to take over the entire world, being the archenemy of Jonathan Joestar and later the arch-nemesis of Jotaro Kujo in particular.
He fathered Giorno Giovanna and three other sons, the latter three being under the rule of his friend Enrico Pucci, whereas Giorno became the boss of Passione to stop the drug trade. More than just a powerful vampire, Dio Brando wields the Stand known as The World, which has grant the ability to stop time.
He was voiced by the following actors in the following works:
- Norio Wakamoto in the Drama CD.
- Isshin Chiba in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Heritage for the Future.
- The late Nobuo Tanaka in the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure OVA.
- Hikaru Midorikawa in the obscure lost film adaptation and the PS2 version of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood.
- Kenji Nojima (as a teenager) and Takehito Koyasu (as an adult) in the anime, with the latter also voicing him in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All-Star Battle and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of Heaven.
- Andrew Chaikin in the English dubbed version of the OVA.
- Patrick Seitz in the English dubbed version of the anime.
|“||Living in the gutter, you learn to spot low-lifes pretty quick if you want to see tomorrow. I've trained my nose to sort out the bad ones from the good just from a sniff! This fellow reeks of brimstone and blood worse than anyone I ever laid eyes on! He is pure evil, right down to his very bones! Is he a victim of circumstance, you're wondering? Not on your life! He's been evil since he drew his first breath!||„|
|~ Robert E.O. Speedwagon giving Jonathan his assessment on Dio.|
While Speedwagon claimed that he was born evil, Dio's treacherous and insane nature may be partially effected by his abusive upbringing at the hands of an alcoholic father, whom he later killed. He is shown to be an extremely arrogant and ambitious megalomaniac. He will do anything to get what he wants, even if it means trampling people, like he did to Jonathan Joestar when they were young, and relinquishing his humanity in favor of becoming a vampire.
However, DIO is not entirely evil, at least not at first, as (while coming from a source not confirmed to be canon) he respected his mother (being heartbroken by her death and was furious when his father told him to sell her dress), which caused him to kill his father as revenge for causing her death and would attack anyone who spoke ill of her. He also shows a good side to those who are good to him. In particular, he has shown extremely favorable attitudes towards Enrico Pucci, who also showed loyalty in return. DIO also has a passion for reading, as he is found in the library of his Egypt mansion at times.
Unless provoked or deemed an obstacle, DIO will normally not attack anything or anybody, although this is probably more out of regarding them as inconsequential, and as such unworthy of his attention, rather than anything akin to kindness or mercy. He will first try persuading people to work for him, then fight them if they oppose him.
Despite this however, DIO proved to be far more depraved and evil than he initially appeared, with his actions becoming more horrendous as the series progresses. He is willing to throw away, discard or destroy anything that holds him back in pursuing his insatiable hunger for power. Furthermore, his repeated lack of any empathy or conscience throws away any redeeming qualities he held at the start.
Dio does have respect for the inventions of the 20th century; being fascinated by the near instant capability of communications, electricity and automobiles.
Powers and Abilities
|“||I am immortal. I have everlasting... STAND POWER! Now there is a controvertible truth that no one on this miserable planet is stronger than me! You loathsome humans! I shall rule over your pathetic species until the end of time! Now bow before my wisdom and power!||„|
|~ DIO boasting about his strength after seemingly killing Jotaro Kujo.|
In JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood, Dio gained vampiric powers from the Stone Mask, including superhuman strength, self-regeneration, immortality, ability to recover lost parts from his body and the ability to shoot high-pressure liquid from his eyes, named Space Ripper Stingy Eyes. He also learned to use a freezing technique which condensed water moisture in the air to counter Hamon-empowered blows.
|“||You're a fool, Kakyoin. With my Stand, I have the ability to rule the world! What can you do in the face of such overwhelming power?||„|
|~ DIO to Noriaki Kakyoin on the might of The World.|
In JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders, DIO obtained his stand, The World, from a stand arrow given to him by his most loyal follower (at the time), Enya Geil. The World is terrifyingly powerful, having the speed and punching power to rival that of Jotaro Kujo's Star Platinum. However, The World's most dangerous power is the ability to stop time, which DIO discovered when he ordered a servant of his to fire a shotgun at him in order to test The World's power and speed.
During stopped time, only DIO can freely move around. Those with the same ability to stop time can also move during DIO's time stop, but only for a short distance and period. The forces of any action DIO performs in stopped time (such as punching an enemy or throwing knives) resumes normally when time returns to normal, an example being when some knives he threw continued to travel through the air after time resumed. Originally, DIO could only stop time for 5 seconds. This limit would increase to 9 seconds near the end of his final battle with Jotaro, and 11 seconds by the time of his last stand.
- Dario Brando
- Two old men
- George Joestar I
- Multiple constables
- Numerous innocents
- Zombie mother's baby (Indirectly caused)
- Jonathan Joestar (Indirectly)
- Enya Geil
- Wilson Phillips
- Noriaki Kakyoin
- Joseph Joestar (formerly)
- Dio's first name is the Italian word for "God", but is also a reference to the heavy metal band DIO, fronted by the late Ronnie James Dio.
- In comparison, Dio's last name is a reference to American actor Marlon Brando.
- Dio spawned a number of memes among fans, including "It's useless/Muda", "Kono Dio Da!/It was me, Dio!", "Za Warudo!/The World!", "Road Roller Da!", and "WRYYYYYYY!". This become one of the reasons why Dio become popular in the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure series.
- Hirohiko Araki considers Dio "the true protagonist" of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood, and Dio was made and makes his debut before Jonathan. Additionally, his "darkness" was meant to rival Jonathan's "light".
- Dio's return was inspired by Araki thinking that "evil from the past" would be a frightening thought.
- Dio's Japanese voice actor, Takehito Koyasu, said in his interview he "had a feeling" that Dio would be given to him to play. He has also voiced Riser Phenex, Redda, Doji, Zeke Yeager, Shinsuke Takasugi, Zechs Merquise, Seifer Almasy, Takuma Saiou, Aokiji, and Nobuyuki Sugou.
- His English voice actor is Patrick Seitz, who has voiced various villains like Kunzite, Scorpion, Garrosh Hellscream, Uvogin, and Cervantes de Leon. His anime character often overlaps with Takehito Koyasu.
- In the light novel JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Over Heaven, it is revealed that Dio had a miscarried sibling, is aware of Diavolo's existence, and would consider starting a family with Enya Geil if she was younger.
- In a top ten made by Araki in 2000, Dio was placed as his tenth favorite character.
- Dio Brando's and Diego Brando's themes in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of Heaven are remixes of each other. The same is true for DIO's and Alternate World Diego's themes.
- Dio's surname, "Brando", means Sword in Italian. It is unknown if "Dio" is either Italian or British in definition.
- Dio fought Hellsing's Alucard in ScrewAttack's DEATH BATTLE and won.
- Dio Brando on the Pure Evil Wiki
- Dio Brando on the VS Battles Wiki
- Dio Brando on the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Wiki
Diamond is Unbreakable
Vento Aureo/Golden Wind
Steel Ball Run
Spin-Offs & Novels