|This villain was proposed but was rejected by the community for not being heinous enough or lacks what is necessary to be a Pure Evil villain. Therefore, this villain shall be added to our "Never Again List", where proposed villains rejected by the community shall be placed to prevent future proposals of the same evil-doer. They can be proposed again (with the permission of an administrator) if new elements appear in their series that can change their status as non-PE villains.|
Any act of adding this villain to the Pure Evil category without a proposal or creating a proposal for this villain without the permission of an administrator will result in a ban.
This Article Contains Spoilers -
WARNING: This article contains major spoilers. If you do not wish to know vital information on plot / character elements in a story, you may not wish to read beyond this warning: We hold no responsibility for any negative effects these facts may have on your enjoyment of said media should you continue. That is all.
|This article's content is marked as Mature|
The page Mature contains mature content that may include coarse language, sexual references, and/or graphic violent images which may be disturbing to some. Mature pages are recommended for those who are 18 years of age and older.
If you are 18 years or older or are comfortable with graphic material, you are free to view this page. Otherwise, you should close this page and view another page.
|“||Gods don't exist, and Buddhas don't either. Yet these people lived for decades without realizing it. Once they die, it's all just gonna return to nothing. They won't feel anything. And then they rot into the ground. As long as you live on this Earth, that's your eternal fate. They just can't accept that simple fact. It must be so hard being stupid. I want to make these sorrowful people happy. I want to help them. That's the reason I was born, after all.||„|
|~ Doma's nihilism.|
|“||In reality, humans who live virtuously and decently suffer irrational tragedies. While evil people do what they want because they live insane, interesting lives and drink sweet nectar. "Since these people are not getting divine punishment, at the very least they'll go to hell when they die." That's what mentally weak people have to think, or they wouldn't be able to live with themselves, right? They keep it deep in their minds. Humans are so pitiful.||„|
|~ Doma expressing his opinions on the right and wrong to Kanao Tsuyuri and Inosuke Hashibira.|
Doma (in Japanese: 童磨, Dōma) is a major antagonist in the manga/anime series Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba. He is a powerful Demon under Muzan Kibutsuji as Upper Rank Two (formerly Upper Rank Six) of the Twelve Kizuki. He serves as the overarching antagonist of the Red Light District Arc and the secondary antagonist of the Dimensional Infinity Fortress Arc.
Doma is the leader of a cult named the Eternal Paradise Cult and is responsible for the deaths of Inosuke Hashibira's mother, Kotoha, and Kanae Kocho, the elder sister of Shinobu Kocho and the adoptive older sister of Kanao Tsuyuri. As a result, he arguably serves as the archenemy of Shinobu, Kanao and Inosuke.
He is voiced by Mamoru Miyano (who has also voiced Light Yagami in Death Note, Shuu Tsukiyama in Tokyo Ghoul, and Chrollo Lucilfer in Hunter X Hunter) in Japanese and Stephen Fu (who has also voiced Cho Sang-woo in Squid Game) in English.
|“||It's a Demon with blood stains on the top of his head, he always gives a carefree smile. and he speaks in a calm, gentle manner. The weapons this Demon uses are a pair of sharp fans.||„|
|~ Characteristics of Doma by Kanae Kocho.|
Doma is a large, muscular being with rainbow eyes and platinum hair (though some colored panels depict his hair as blond). The number two is written on both of his eyes. He also appears to have nails colored blue.
He is mostly seen wearing robes colored in red with a hat on top and white pants with a golden belt.
|“||To you, there is no joy, delight, anguish, pain. In fact there is nothing but voidness. Pathetic. Really foolish. You, why in the world are you even born?||„|
|~ Kanao Tsuyuri provoking Douma|
|“||So that's why i saved her! she's not feeling any more pain. nor is she suffering. there's nothing to be afraid of. you know everyone's afraid of dying. and that's why i eat them all up. now they get to live together. with me, forever. all the feelings of my worshippers. blood, flesh, i made sure accept, rescue, and guide them all to enlighten-ment.||„|
|~ Doma showing his delusion for Shinobu Kocho.|
Doma is a psychopathic, ruthless, misanthropic and manipulative nihilist who pretends to be outwardly friendly. He is the Demon that most resembles Muzan Kibutsuji. Doma is a complete and utter psychopath who is hopelessly unable to comprehend basic human emotions. He admits that even during his human days, the entire concept of emotion itself was alien to him. He has a cynical view of the world and has his own grotesque ideal reality. And Douma believes that his evil deeds are truly "save", as Douma's parent's wrong upbringing has truly broke his brain.
Aware that this is abnormal, Doma compensates his empty "heart" with lies, learning to fake his emotions enough to deceive all but the most keen observers. But when he encountered Kotoha Hashibira, he spared her out of curiosity, and was even going to keep her alive until she would reach an old age - until Kotoha discovered his unholy secret. Kotoha attempted to run away from Doma (who did genuinely try to explain himself) but was futile: she was killed and eaten just like all other hapless female victims before her. Although Doma might have had feelings towards her to some degree, as he had to make sure his secret wouldn’t be revealed because of Muzan and believed that eating Kotoha would save her from being with her abusive husband or being left to die on the street, saying that Kotoha lived an unhappy and pointless existence out of a condescending semblance of pity.
A special feature of Doma is his preference in targeting female humans to devour, believing it is an act to absolve them. While he may appear somewhat caring toward his comrades, he doesn't feel genuine grief over their deaths, since he sees his followers as nothing but pitiful pests below him. This heavily contrasts his colleague, Akaza, who refused to eat women, much to his confusion and disbelief. And unlike Akaza, Doma has no honor, shows no respect for his enemies, and rather shows a mean behavior of ridiculing his opponents.
These traits implies that Doma is a high functioning psychopath, as he shows a general lack of empathy since he was a child, despite his charisma and perhaps even wonderful appearance.
Doma rarely acts anything but relaxed and serene which highlights how disturbing he actually is. Even as a human, when his mother violently murdered his father before killing herself, his only priority was airing the room out from the stench of blood emitted by his dead parents. His complete lack of feeling and emotion stayed true until the very end, where his diabolical crimes ultimately caught up with him.
Apart from this, Doma is very manipulative and intelligent, similar to Muzan. While maintaining the Eternal Paradise Cult for 100 years, he has excellent insights that naturally melt into human society, and he mainly hides his evil side and shows a friendly appearance to increase the number of believers. After his death though he does gain a crush on Shinobu, calling her cute and even asking for her to be forgiven by the demons hit by the breaths of insects after his death since she is beautiful, though he asked her out of love and did not regret his actions in life.
Ever since his birth, Doma was hailed as a supernatural presence by his parents and his followers in the Eternal Paradise cult dedicated to him, since Doma was born with a pair of poly-chromatic eyes. However, Doma was born to be a sociopath who showed or felt no emotions, and he only saw his followers as foolish and pitiful worms begging him for mercy.
When Doma was a boy, his mother killed his father after finding out he had been cheating on her, before she took her own life. However, Doma remained unfazed by the deaths of his own parents.
When he was twenty years old, Doma met Muzan Kibutsuji, who granted him power and turned him into a demon. Soon, Doma began eating people, especially female, under the name of absolution. He single-mindedly believed that those he devoured will live forever with him. He continued to serve as the leader of the Eternal Paradise cult as its leader, of which he kept in no more than 250 membership to avoid being discovered.
A century ago before the main story started, Doma was promoted into the rank of Upper Moon Six, before his later promotion into the Upper Moon Two. One day, when he walked into the street of Red Light District while he was committing serial murders against girls, he accidentally encountered Gyutaro and a dying Daki, as the former spitefully vowed to seek vengeance for his dear sister and the mistreatment the siblings suffered. Sensing their despair, Doma offered a chance to him and turned both Gyutaro and Daki into demons.
Fifteen years before the story started, Doma met a woman named Kotoha Hashibira, and left her family with her baby son Inosuke after being fed up with the abuse of her husband and mother-in-law. Doma invited Kotoha into the Eternal Paradise cult for sanctuary. He decided to spare her because of being impressed by her beautiful face and her sweet singing voice.
However, one night, Kotoha accidentally encountered Doma who was devouring his victims. Doma tried to explain himself to her but she ran and he knew he had to eat Kotoha her (so Muzan wouldn’t punish him for his secret being revealed) and chased her to the cliff. Kotoha threw her son into the river to protect him, before Doma devoured her. Inosuke survived after being raised by a female boar.
Later, in an undated period of time, Doma was promoted to Upper Moon Two and killed Kanae Kocho, the elder sister of Shinobu Kocho, and thus became her bitter arch-enemy.
Red Light District Arc
Doma sarcastically mocked Akaza, the Upper Moon Three, causing the latter to get infuriated and sliced Doma's head in half. Their argument was stopped by Kokushibou, who sliced off an arm of Akaza for breaking the law of Upper Moon's hierarchy and calmed both of them down. Spitefully, Akaza challenged Kokushibou and Doma before he left.
After the meeting was over, Doma returned to the base of his cult under Nakime's escort.
Dimensional Infinity Fortress Arc
After the war in the Dimensional Infinite Fortress broke out, Doma resided near a lotus pool waiting for the arrival of a vengeful Shinobu Kocho. Ignoring her poison, Doma killed her and devoured her as a whole, unknowing it was already a set up of Shinobu ever since the beginning, as for years she had absorbed a 37 kilogram of Wisteria Flower Poison into her body, about seventy times the lethal and deadly enough to finish Doma off.
After killing Shinobu, Doma confronted Kanao Tsuyuri, who pointed out Doma was unable to feel emotions. Shocked and infuriated, Doma proceeded into attacking Kanao and was about to kill her, but Inosuke interrupted him and saved Kanao. After discovering Shinobu's death at Doma's hands, Inosuke furiously attacked him. Doma then recognized Inosuke as the son of Kotoha because of their shared similarity in physical appearance, and revealed that he murdered Kotoha, whom he believed to have live in a hollowed life.
Doma's revelation caused Inosuke to become horrified and enraged. Angrily saying how fortunate he was to find his sworn enemy, Inosuke vowed to kill Doma in order to avenge his mother and friends, as he and Kanao attacked Doma. However, Doma managed to overpower the two Demon Slayers until suddenly, the Wisteria Flower Poison in Shinobu's corpse took effect and started to melt Doma's body.
Unable to fight back, Doma realized he was tricked but it was too late. He was soon decapitated by the combined force of Kanao and Inosuke, avenging Shinobu and her family. Trying to struggle for survival like Akaza, but lacking indomitable willpower as Akaza had, Doma's head slowly disintegrated and he met Shinobu's soul in the limbo, holding his severed head. Shinobu had refused to pass onto heaven until she personally saw to Doma's death.
Ironically, Doma discovered that he was in the afterlife he once tried hard to deny, and he finally began to exhibit some emotion. He claimed that he fell in love with Shinobu and invited her to be his company to Hell. However, Shinobu, with her face still smiling (albeit dumbfounded), gleefully rejected and cursed Doma one last time as the latter was condemned into Hell off-screen.
In the Dimensional Infinite Fortress, Inosuke happily stepped on Doma's ashes to spite him, finally avenging his mother as well in the process.
Beyond the Sanzu River
in the bonus chapter, he asked the Demons who were hit by the breath of insects to forgive her because Shinobu is beautiful. However, Doma should not forgive Shinobu, but should be forgiven by Shinobu. It means he doesn't even regret his faults.
Powers and Abilities
- Cryokinesis: Doma's main ability is extremely powerful cryokinesis. Essentially, he can generate ice and frost from his flesh and blood and can spawn it anywhere in his vicinity, as well as manipulating it at will, allowing him to unleash incredibly potent ice techniques. On top of that, he can create a special type of demonic powdered ice lethal to those that inhale it (except for Doma) inducing necrosis and rendering them unable to fight very quickly. Doma usually channels his cryokinesis through his pair of Japanese war fans, enhancing his Tessenjutsu with ice and frost. Doma's ice is also capable of nigh-instantly freezing people or objects upon impact. He usually manipulates ice as frozen lotuses and vines or as petal-shaped frost shards to cut or freeze his enemies. Doma can also create waves of freezing clouds, wintery icicles and stalagmites, icy humanoid figures and even miniature ice clones of himself capable of unleashing the same techniques with the same skill and potency as Doma himself. Doma's final technique of ice is a giant ice Bodhisattva statue that can generate immense gusts of his deadly ice powder and freezing attacks on top of powerful physical attacks. On another note, Doma's Cryokinesis also symbolizes his nihilism and cold-hearted disposition.
- Biological Absorption: Doma displayed the ability to completely absorb and devour an entire human body without eating them, having completely broken down and incorporated Shinobu's body into his own within only a few seconds after killing her.
- Extrasensory Perception: Like all members of the Twelve Demon Moons, Doma possesses senses honed to nigh-superhuman levels. He has displayed multiple times that he is able to detect and perceive attacks even from places he is not looking at, allowing him to fight at a more efficient rate. Doma was later stated to be able to sense the exact locations and statuses of his fellow Demon brethren during the Infinity Castle Arc, later he was even able to detect Akaza's transformation into a being immune to decapitation and later his death despite being fairly far away from him.
- Immense Strength: Doma has incredible physical strength, mainly due to the amount of Muzan Kibutsuji's blood he assimilated, possibly making him stronger than Akaza because he is one rank higher. Doma can swing his dual fans at subsonic speeds rapidly and incessantly without fail. He can also swing his fans with so much force that it generates gigantic gusts of wind.
- Immense Mobility: One of Doma's physical capabilities is his extraordinary movement speed, being able to move immensely faster than the eye can process, making him subsonic or possibly supersonic. This ability has been showcased multiple times during his battle in the Infinity Castle Arc, the first being when Doma killed one of his cult members right in front of Shinobu without her reacting to it until after the woman's body exploded, another being when he was able to evade Kanao's superhuman vision and steal her Nichirin Blade effortlessly which even took her several seconds to process it along with him evading Kanao's Flower Breathing: Fourth Form - Crimson Hanagoromo with no difficulty whatsoever. Another example was when he swiftly stole Inosuke's boar mask without neither him nor Kanao noticing it.
- Immense Durability: Doma has displayed incredible durability, even when he was severely weakened. Doma's neck couldn't be cut off by Kanao Tsuyuri even when he was severely poisoned and took seventy times the lethal Wisteria Flower dosage required to kill a normal Demon.
- Immense Regeneration: Doma displayed incredibly powerful regenerative abilities, as seen when Akaza punched off both his lower jaw and his upper head and he swiftly regrew himself with little to no effort, even considering the fatal attack to be a friendly gesture. Even when Doma himself absorbed Shinobu's body and ingested over thirty-seven kilograms worth of poison, approximately seventy times more than the lethal amount needed to kill an average Demon, it still took a considerable amount of time before it began to have any adverse affect on him.
- Keen Intellect: Complementing his cold and calculating disposition, Doma is exceptionally intelligent. While fighting at super speeds with Kanao Tsuyuri, he was able to process and deduce her abilities, surmising that it was her superhuman eyesight that allowed her to parry and dodge his ice attacks. After leaving Kanao and Inosuke Hashibira to fight his ice clones, he construed that Inosuke not inhaling his ice powder was because of his extremely acute sense of touch. It is hinted at that Doma was able to trick and deceive all of his followers, allowing him to kill and eat them. He was able to keep this up for over a century with almost complete infallibility. Doma also possesses incredible memory, being able to remember even the most insignificant details from back when he was human, which was over a century ago.
- Reactive Adaptation: During his battle against Shinobu, he is able to break down and render all of the various poison mixtures Shinobu injected into him useless, immediately developing antibodies to her poisons without much trouble. His adaptive abilities even shocked Shinobu Kocho.
- Tactical Intellect: As a member of the Upper Moons who has lived for over a century, Doma has been through maybe hundreds of different combat situations and threats, which he always managed to circumvent and overcome. During his battle against Kanao Tsuyuri and Inosuke Hashibira when he could keep up and overwhelm both Pillar-level Demon Slayers simultaneously while not even fighting seriously.
- Tessenjutsu: Doma is incredibly skilled in Tessenjutsu due to having centuries worth of experience in wielding his pair of Japanese war fans for combat purposes, superior to even Akaza in overall combat skill despite him having significantly more combat experience. He's so proficient in Tessenjutsu that he is able to take on both Inosuke Hashibira and Kanao Tsuyuri, who were Hashira-level during the fight, effortlessly. Doma's Tessenjutsu incorporates his cryokinetic Blood Demon Art which enhances its lethality and range. With his exceptional skill in wielding his Japanese war fans, he can cause huge gusts of wind and expertly deflect incoming attacks and unleash precise strikes with his dual fans.
- Unlimited Stamina & Endurance: Doma possesses absolute and infinite stamina and vitality, never tiring and always remaining in optimal physical and mental condition all the time as well as being able to endure waves of onslaught as if it were nothing. He showed almost complete immunity to being repeatedly violently attacked by his fellow Upper Rank, Akaza, having his eyes slashed out by Inosuke, being repeatedly poisoned and stabbed by Shinobu, having his stomach slashed open by Kanao and inflicting various forms of extreme self-harm to himself. Doma never once expressed the slightest bit of pain, discomfort and panic at being wounded so grievously, having been able to nonchalantly and calmly continue fighting, talking or doing whatever else he is doing as if nothing is happening.
Blood Demon Techniques
- Barren Hanging Garden: A series of 8 to 10 successive fan attacks that create gusts of razor-sharp ice shards to slice the enemy into pieces.
- Freezing Clouds: Doma creates a large wave of dangerous ice particles and uses his fans to scatter them, freezing any object that comes into contact with it.
- Frozen Lotus: Doma creates several ice lotuses with razor-sharp ice shards to increase the range of his attacks and to ensnare his enemies.
- Scattering Lotuses: Doma creates a blizzard of long-ranged ice shards shaped like lotus petals capable of tearing a person's flesh to shreds.
- Cold White Princesses: Doma creates two female humanoid figures with ice able to blow cold wind, similar to that of Freezing Clouds, towards their intended target. However, unlike Freezing Clouds, it is noted by Kanao Tsuyuri that this technique has a much larger and wider range. Doma noted that the princesses are able to record and save whatever they see, as Doma planned to record both Inosuke and Kanao's techniques in order to create suitable countermeasures against them.
- Wintry Icicles: Doma creates multiple ice spears/stakes to impale his target from above. This attack can seemingly materialize out of nowhere.
- Lotus Vines: Doma shapes his ice into several lotuses and creates large frost vines that extend his reach and can capture or slice up his opponents.
- Crystalline Divine Child: Doma creates miniature ice replicas of himself to battle his opponents. He has shown to be capable of creating up to five clones of himself at once, all possessing the same amount of combat prowess as Doma himself and fully capable of using any of his Blood Demon Arts, albeit not to the same caliber as himself. These children are able to record any information it gathers during battle and relay it to Doma, allowing him to better fight his opponents.
- Rime — Water Lily Bodhisattva: This techniques has been noted to be Doma's strongest Blood Demon Art and his last ditch attempt. He creates a large Bodhisattva ice statue to attack and destroy his targets. Not only can it deal huge amounts of physical damage due to its sheer size and weight, but is extremely durable, being able to withstand multiple attacks from Kanao Tsuyuri and Inosuke Hashibira with little to no damage. Its most notable trait is its ability to generate huge gusts of Doma's deadly ice powder capable of freezing someone to death but also launch a barrage of ice attacks which seem to be a combination of Doma's other techniques.
- Doma's name contains the kanji for "child" ( dō童) and (ma磨), which can mean 'polish', 'grind', or 'improve'. Among them, Doma's name includes the word "child", which can be said to be a very good match for Doma's personality. If he looks at his tone and actions, he can see that only his body is an adult and his mind is stopped by a child.
- Ironically, his extravagant clothing and overall design may act as a contrast to his complete lack of feeling.
- He has many similarities to Shinobu Kocho, an insect pillar hashira, in his tone, personality, and behavior. On the cover of Shinobu, there was a lotus flower symbolizing Doma, and on the cover of Doma, a butterfly symbolizing Shinobu covered one eye of Doma. And he has many similarities with Giyu Tomioka. Both are hated by certain groups, both have water-related abilities (Breath of Water, Ice Blood Demon Techniques), experience saving siblings, and crucially both are tied to Shinobu Kocho. And he resembles Kanao Tsuyuri in that he is immature at feeling emotions.
- Muzan did not favor Doma highly among the Upper Moons, as he did not like him. But Doma is fanatical about Muzan.