This Article Contains Spoilers -
WARNING: This article contains major spoilers. If you do not wish to know vital information on plot / character elements in a story, you may not wish to read beyond this warning: We hold no responsibility for any negative effects these facts may have on your enjoyment of said media should you continue. That is all.
|This article's content is marked as Mature|
The page Mature contains mature content that may include coarse language, sexual references, and/or graphic violent images which may be disturbing to some. Mature pages are recommended for those who are 18 years of age and older.
If you are 18 years or older or are comfortable with graphic material, you are free to view this page. Otherwise, you should close this page and view another page.
|“||Gods don't exist, and Buddhas don't either. Yet these people lived for decades without realising it. Once they die, it's all just gonna return to nothing. They won't feel anything. And then they rot into the ground. As long as you live on this Earth, that's your eternal fate. They just can't accept that simple fact. It must be so hard being stupid. I want to make these sorrowful people happy. I want to help them. That's the reason I was born, after all.||„|
|~ Doma expressing his philosophy on Nihilism.|
|“||The idea of divine punishment is a joke. Wicked people going to hell after death? If humans didn't think like that, people with weak spirits couldn't keep going, right? I deeply believe... that humans are pathetic.||„|
|~ Doma to Kanao and Inosuke.|
|“||I'm a nice guy so I can't just leave you alone.||„|
|~ Doma to Gyuutarou|
Doma (in Japanese: 童磨, Dōma) is a major antagonist in the manga/anime series, Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba. He is a powerful Demon under Muzan Kibutsuji and the Upper Moon Two (formerly Six) of the Twelve Demon Moons.
He is the leader of a cult named the Eternal Paradise and is responsible for the deaths of Inosuke Hashibira's mother, Kotoha, and Kanae Kocho, the elder sister of Shinobu Kocho and the adoptive older sister of Kanao Tsuyuri. As a result, he is the archenemy of Shinobu, Kanao and Inosuke.
Doma is a large, muscular being with rainbow eyes and platinum hair (though some colored panels depict his hair as blonde). The number two is written on both of his eyes. He also appears to have nails colored blue.
He is mostly seen wearing robes colored in red with a hat on top and white ,pants with a golden belt.
|“||To you, there is no joy, delight, anguish, pain. In fact there is nothing but voidness. Pathetic. Really foolish. You, why in the world are you even born?||„|
|~ Kanao Tsuyuri provoking Douma|
Doma is a nihilistic, calculating, disturbing, psychopathic misanthropy and condescending individual who pretends to be outwardly friendly. Unable to comprehend human emotions, he admits that even during his human days, the entire concept of emotion itself was completely alien to him. Aware that this is abnormal, Doma compensates his empty "heart" with lies, learning to fake his emotions enough to deceive all but the most keen observers. But when he encountered a woman named Kotoha, he spared the woman out of curiosity, was even going to keep her alive until she would reach an old age - until Kotoha discovered his unholy secret. Kotoha attempted to run away from Doma but was futile: she was killed and eaten just like all other hapless female victims before her. Although Doma might have had feelings towards her to some degree, it was no more than mere possessiveness.
A special feature of Doma is his favor in targeting female humans to devour, believing it is an act to absolve them. While he may appear caring toward his comrades, he doesn't feel genuine grief over their deaths, since he sees his followers as nothing but pitiful pests below him. This heavily contrasts his colleague, Akaza, who refused to eat women, much to his confusion and disbelief.
These traits implies that Doma is a high functioning psychopath: he shows a general lack of empathy since he was a child, despite an outward charismatic appearance.
Doma rarely acts anything but relaxed and serene to highlight how disturbing he is. Even as a human, when his mother violently murdered his father before killing herself, his only priority was airing the room out from stench of blood emitted by his dead parents. This is up to the point where he doesn't feel anything even when his crimes ultimately caught up with him and lost his own life.
Ever since his birth, Doma was hailed as a supernatural presence by his parents and his followers in the Eternal Paradise cult dedicated to him, since Doma was born with a pair of poly-chromatic eyes. However, Doma was born to be a sociopath who showed or felt no emotions, and he only saw his followers as foolish and pitiful worms begging him for mercy.
When Doma was a boy, his mother killed his father after finding out he had been cheating on her, before she took her own life. However, Doma remained unfazed by the deaths of his own parents.
When he was 20 years old, Doma met Muzan Kibutsuji, who granted him power and turned him into a demon. Soon, Doma began eating people, especially female, under the name of absolution. He single-mindedly believed that those he devoured will live forever with him. He continued to serve as the leader of the Eternal Paradise cult as its leader, of which he kept in no more than 250 membership to avoid being discovered.
A century ago before the main story started, Doma was promoted into the rank of Upper Moon Six, before his later promotion into the Upper Moon Two. One day, when he walked into the street of Red Light District, he accidentally encountered Gyuutarou and a dying Daki, as the former spitefully vowed to seek vengeance for his dear sister and the mistreatment the siblings suffered. Sensing their despair, Doma offered a chance to him and turned both Gyutaro and Daki into demons.
Fifteen years before the story started, Doma met a woman named Kotoha, who is Inosuke Hashibira's mother, and left her family with her baby son fed up with the abuse of her husband and mother-in-law. Doma invited Kotoha into the Eternal Paradise cult for sanctuary. He decided to spare her because of being impressed by her beautiful face and her sweet singing voice.
However, one night, Kotoha accidentally encountered Doma who was devouring his victims. Unable to explain, Doma decided to finish Kotoha off and chased her to the cliff. Kotoha threw her son into the river to protect him, before Doma devoured her. Inosuke survived after being raised by a female boar.
Later, in an undated period of time, Doma was promoted to Upper Moon Two and killed Kanae Kocho, the elder sister of Shinobu Kocho, and thus became her bitter arch-enemy.
Red Light District Arc
Doma was first seen in the main story during the Upper Moon meeting in the Dimensional Infinite Fortress, after the deaths of Daki and Gyuutarou, the duo of Upper Moon Six. Doma sarcastically mocked Akaza, the Upper Moon Three, causing the latter to get infuriated and sliced Doma's head in half. Their argument was stopped by Kokushibou, who sliced off an arm of Akaza for breaking the law of Upper Moon's hierarchy and calmed both of them down. Spitefully, Akaza challenged Kokushibou and Doma before he left.
After the meeting was over, Doma returned to the base of his cult under Nakime's escort.
Dimensional Infinite Fortress Arc
After the war in the Dimensional Infinite Fortress broke out, Doma resided near a lotus pool waiting for the arrival of a vengeful Shinobu Kocho. Ignoring her poison, Doma killed her and devoured her as a whole, unknowing it was already a set up of Shinobu ever since the beginning, as for years she had absorbed a 37 kilogram of Wisteria Flower Poison into her body, about seventy times the lethal and deadly enough to finish Doma off.
After killing Shinobu, Doma confronted Kanao Tsuyuri, who pointed out Doma was unable to feel emotions. Shocked and infuriated, Doma proceeded into attacking Kanao and was about to kill her, but Inosuke interrupted him and saved Kanao. After discovering Shinobu's death at Doma's hands, Inosuke furiously attacked him. Doma then recognized Inosuke as the son of Kotoha because of their shared similarity in physical appearance, and revealed that he murdered Kotoha, whom he believed to have live in a hollowed life.
Doma's revelation caused Inosuke to become horrified and enraged. Angrily saying how fortunate he was to find his sworn enemy, Inosuke vowed to kill Doma in order to avenge his mother and friends, as he and Kanao attacked Doma. However, Dima managed to overpower the two Demon Slayers until suddenly, the Wisteria Flower Poison in Shinobu's corpse took effect and started to melt Doma's body.
Unable to fight back, Doma realized he was tricked but it was too late. He was soon decapitated by the combined force of Kanao and Inosuke, avenging Shinobu and her family. Trying to struggle for survival like Akaza, but lacking indomitable willpower as Akaza had, Doma's head slowly disintegrated and he met Shinobu's soul in the limbo, holding his severed head. Shinobu had refused to pass onto heaven until she personally saw to Doma's death.
Ironically, Doma discovered that he was in the afterlife he once tried hard to deny, and he finally began to exhibit some emotion. He claimed that he fell in love with Shinobu and invited her to be his company to Hell. However, Shinobu, with her face still smiling (albeit dumbfounded), gleefully rejected and cursed Doma one last time as the latter was condemned into Hell off-screen.
In the Dimensional Infinite Fortress, Inosuke happily stepped on Doma's ashes to spite him, finally avenging his mother as well in the process.
Powers and Abilities
Having held the position of Upper Rank 2, Doma is considered to be the third strongest Demon in the series. His combination of battle techniques and skill is powerful enough to overwhelm and defeat Shinobu, the previous Insect Hashira, without any difficulty and he is also noted to have defeated Kanae Kocho, the previous Flower Hashira, in the past. According to Doma, Akaza, Upper Rank 3, would have no chance in defeating him in battle. Considering this, Doma can be presumed to be an extremely powerful Demon, even though he isn't seen fighting seriously until he is severely weakened by Shinobu's poison. He displayed immense speed by stealing Kanao's sword from her hands and Inosuke's mask from his head, moving away before they even noticed the items were gone.
Blood Demon Techniques
- Ice Manipulation: Doma's Blood Demon Art allows him to generate and manipulate ice from his flesh and blood. He can also create special demonic powdered ice which can suck the blood of humans and cause their cells to slowly die. His powdered ice, once inhaled, will cause his opponent's lungs to slowly deteriorate, and eventually negate their ability to breathe and fight. Doma has displayed multiple times that he can shape ice into various forms and sizes including lotuses, gusts of freezing wind, and even a giant statue.
- Barren Hanging Garden: A series of 8 to 10 successive fan attacks that create gusts of razor-sharp ice shards to slice the enemy into pieces.
- Freezing Clouds: Doma creates a large wave of dangerous ice particles and uses his fans to scatter them, freezing any object that comes into contact with it.
- Frozen Lotus: - Doma creates several ice lotuses with razor-sharp ice shards to increase the range of his attacks and to ensnare his enemies.
- Scattering Lotuses: Doma creates a blizzard of long-ranged ice shards shaped like lotus petals capable of tearing a person's flesh to shreds.
- Cold White Princesses: Doma creates two female humanoid figures with ice able to blow cold wind, similar to that of Freezing Clouds, towards their intended target. However, unlike Freezing Clouds, it is noted by Kanao Tsuyuri that this technique has a much larger and wider range. Doma noted that the princesses are able to record and save whatever they see, as Doma planned to record both Inosuke and Kanao's techniques in order to create suitable countermeasures against them.
- Wintry Icicles: Doma creates multiple ice spears/stakes to impale his target from above. This attack can seemingly materialize out of nowhere.
- Lotus Vines: Doma shapes his ice into several lotuses and creates large frost vines that extend his reach and can capture or slice up his opponents.
- Crystalline Divine Child: Doma creates miniature ice replicas of himself to battle his opponents. He has shown to be capable of creating up to five clones of himself at once, all possessing the same amount of combat prowess as Doma himself and fully capable of using any of his Blood Demon Arts, albeit not to the same caliber as himself. These children are able to record any information it gathers during battle and relay it to Doma, allowing him to better fight his opponents.
- Rime — Water Lily Bodhisattva: This techniques has been noted to be Doma's strongest Blood Demon Art and his last ditch attempt. He creates a large Bodhisattva ice statue to attack and destroy his targets. Not only can it deal huge amounts of physical damage due to its sheer size and weight, but is extremely durable, being able to withstand multiple attacks from Kanao Tsuyuri and Inosuke Hashibira with little to no damage. Its most notable trait is its ability to generate huge gusts of Doma's deadly ice powder capable of freezing someone to death but also launch a barrage of ice attacks which seem to be a combination of Doma's other techniques.
- High Intellect: Complementing his cold and calculating disposition, Doma is exceptionally intelligent. While fighting at subsonic speeds with Kanao Tsuyuri, he was able to process and deduce her abilities, surmising that it was her superhuman eyesight that allowed her to parry and dodge his ice attacks. After leaving Kanao and Inosuke Hashibira to fight his ice clones, he construed that Inosuke not inhaling his ice powder was because of his extremely acute sense of touch. Doma also possesses incredible memory, being able to remember even the most insignificant details from back when he was human, which was over a century ago.
- Manipulation: Doma is good at dealing with people's psychology.
- Supernatural Physical Prowess: As the one of the strongest Upper Ranks, Doma's physical capabilities have been augmented to supernatural levels due to the high concentration of Muzan's blood present in him. The base level speed of an Upper Rank can reach subsonic, proven when Upper Rank 3, Akaza, was moving so fast that even two extremely talented swordsman, Tanjiro Kamado and Inosuke Hashibira could only perceive sparks and dust clouds from his blinding movements, the same goes for their immense reflexes and reaction time. The base level physical strength of an Upper Rank is superhuman as well, proven when the weakest Upper Rank, Daki, could punch a hole into a building with her fists. The durability of an Upper Rank's skin and flesh is way stronger than Nichirin, proven when the neck of the second weakest Lower Rank, Rui, couldn't be cut by Tanjiro Kamado. Giyu Tomioka also noted that all Upper Rank Demons have limitless stamina and never suffer from fatigue.
- Immense Durability & Endurance: One of Doma's most notable traits is his immense durability and pain tolerance. He showed himself to possess almost complete immunity to being repeatedly violently attacked by his fellow Upper Rank, Akaza, having his eyes slashed out by Inosuke, being repeatedly poisoned and stabbed by Shinobu, having his stomach slashed open by Kanao and inflicting various forms of extreme self-harm to himself. Doma never once expressed the slightest bit of pain, discomfort and panic at being wounded so grievously, having been able to nonchalantly and calmly continue fighting, talking or doing whatever else he is doing as if nothing is happening.
- Immense Speed: Another one of Doma's physical capabilities is his extraordinary movement speed. This ability has been showcased multiple times during his battle in the Infinity Castle, the first being when Doma killed one of his cult members right in front of Shinobu without her reacting to it until after the woman's body exploded, another being when he was able to evade Kanao's superhuman vision and steal her Nichirin Blade effortlessly which even took her several seconds to process it along with him evading Kanao's Flower Breathing: Fourth Form - Crimson Hanagoromo with no difficulty whatsoever. Another example was when he swiftly stole Inosuke's boar mask without neither him nor Kanao noticing it.
- Enhanced Regeneration: Doma displayed incredibly powerful regenerative abilities, as seen when Akaza punched off both his lower jaw and his upper head and he swiftly regrew himself with little to no effort, even considering the fatal attack to be a friendly gesture. Even when Doma himself absorbed Shinobu's body and ingested over 37 kilograms worth of poison, approximately seven-hundred times more than the lethal amount needed to kill an average Demon, it still took a considerable amount of time before it began to have any adverse affect on him.
- Adaptation: During his battle against Shinobu, he is able to break down and render all of the various poison mixtures Shinobu injected into him useless, immediately developing antibodies to her poisons without much trouble.
- Dual Fan Proficiency: Doma's main form of offense and defense primarily involves him channeling his techniques via his two Gunsen War Fans, using them to both deliver powerful destructive attacks and parry attacks from his opponents. The fans also have the secondary function of scattering Doma's frozen ice powder whenever he waves and moves them to attack or block, spreading it out within his immediate area for his opponents to inhale during battle. Being alive for over a century, his fan martial arts prowess has been improved to be point he can fight his opponents at subsonic speeds while fully utilizing them for offense and defense.
|“||So do you want to become a demon like me... And maybe join the ranks of the Twelve Kizuki?||„|
|~ Doma to Shabana Siblings.|
|“||Life is precious. You must treasure it.||„|
|~ Doma to Shabana Siblings.|
|“||You're all my important comrades. I don't want to be without any of you.||„|
|~ Doma to Akaza.|
|“||You know... I have spoken to many girls, but... This is the first time I've talked to such an unkind girl as you. Why do you say such spiteful things?||„|
|~ Doma to Kanao Tsuyuri|
|“||Well, Shinobu, what about you going to Hell with me?||„|
|~ Douma's final words as he met Shinobu in the afterlife|
- Doma's name contains the kanji for "child" ( dō童) and (ma磨), which can mean 'polish', 'grind', or 'improve'.