Dragon is the secondary antagonist of the Don Bluth's 1982 animated film The Secret of NIMH by MGM.
He is a vicious, sadistic cat who is owned by Farmer Fitzgibbons and was responsible for killing Mrs. Brisby's husband.
His voice effects were provided by Frank Welker.
The Secret of NIMH
He was seen catching birds while Mrs. Brisby and Jeremy were watching him. When Jeremy was laughing, Dragon went under the log. When Jeremy saw him, he sneezed at his face (since he claims he is allergic to 'cats') which made him very angry and roared at him. He stared at Brisby and started to attack her but she got away. When he was about to eat her, Jeremy pulled at his tail and he tried to use the string to catch Brisby but he failed.
However, he went after Brisby on the tree but he gave up when his attempt of catching her failed and he fell into the water. While Jeremy and Brisby went on a quest to find the rose bush, he was sleeping which Jeremy went into by mistake and was scolded by his owner, Mrs. Beth Fitzgibbons. At his last appearance, while Brisby was running out of the house after being caught by the Fitzgibbons' son and put into a cage, he was seen just fat and lazy again all because of the rats' sleeping powder that he always induced from his food bowl. When this scene came to an end, it was declared unknown what became of him.
The Secret of NIMH 2: Timmy to the Rescue
In the sequel, he was not seen but he was mentioned.
- His breed may be a Maine Coon, But because He has more digits on each paw, He is a polydactyl cat.
- Sometimes, Dragon's blind eye and functional eye switch places.
- Dragon's name comes from a type of a mythical creature of the same name.
- According to the book version, Dragon an orange and white cat with yellow eyes and needle sharp fangs. He was given his name by Mrs. Fitzgibbons, as a joke when he was a kitten pretending to be fierce.
- The monstrous roar Dragon emits was reused from the 1978 animated version of The Lord of the Rings and later against in An American Tail.