|“||That Colbalt Star Shard... There was...There was another Shroob princess inside it! That's right! Princess Shroob... has a twin sister!||„|
|~ Princess Peach revealing the Elder Princess Shroob's existence to the Marios.|
The Elder Princess Shroob is the overarching antagonist and final boss of Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time. She is the elder twin sister of Princess Shroob and the true leader of the Shroobs, although her capture meant that Princess Shroob took over in her place.
|“||When I arrived in this time period, Princess Shroob immediately attacked me... I instantly grabbed the time machine's power source, the Colbalt Star, and... Yes, I trapped Princess Shroob inside of it, then shattered it.||„|
|~ Peach describing how she managed to defeat the Elder Princess Shroob.|
The Elder Princess Shroob was the tyrannical leader of the Shroob race, ruling her people with an iron fist alongside her younger sister, who was quite cruel in her own right. Under their cruel reign, their planet became an inhospitable wasteland, so they decided on finding a new home to conquer and eventually ruin as well, which they did with the Mushroom Kingdom.
The Elder and her sister leads her people in attacking Peach's Castle, back when she, along with Mario, Luigi, Toadsworth and Bowser were all much younger, though fortunatley they all escape. But at the same, however, the adult Princess Peach of the future arrive alongside Toadbert and Toadiko in Professor E. Gadd's time machine, and the Shroob princesses waste no time in attacking them. In desperation, Peach grabs the Cobalt Star, which was the time machine's power source, and manages to trap the Elder Princess Shroob within it, much to her shock and dismay. She then shatters the Cobalt Star, sending its pieces far across the land, with the middle piece remaining in Peach's hands, though she herself was captured by the younger Princess Shroob in the process.
Afterwards, the younger princess became the new supreme leader of the Shroob race and made no attempt to release her older sibling so that she could remain in power forever. Meanwhile, the Elder Princess Shroob remained conscious even though she was shattered, attempting to devise a way to free herself.
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
Collecting the Shards
During the events of the game, Mario and Luigi travel back in time and team up with their younger selves. Together, they find the first piece of the Cobalt Star in Bowser's Castle in the past and bring it back to the present. It then levitates itself towards the Shrooboid they had defeated and captured earlier, causing it to howl in pain. Upon which, they gain the belief that if they reassemble the Cobalt Star, they can use its power to defeat the Shroobs and rescue Peach, unaware of the true consequences. The Elder Princess Shroob, seeing all of this from within the shard, decided to await patiently as the heroes to reassemble the Cobalt Star so she could be free again.
The Marios then travel to Toadwood Forest, which has been turned into a plant for draining Vim energy from catured toads to be transferred into the Vim Factory and turned into fuel for their saucers, and where they find Toadiko, who was captured as well. She informs the Marios that another of the Cobalt Star shards is in the factory, but before she explain further, she was then turned into a purple mushroom by a Shroob saucer. The heroes then travel to the factory, where they battle and defeat the Swiggler, which had the piece with it. But then both shards were then stolen by Prince Bowser and Kamek and taken to Yoshi Island, which was being attacked by the Yoob. There, they confront Bowser, who then eats the shards to keep them from being taken. As the Marios attempt to make him cough up the shards, they are then eaten by the enlarged Yoob while Bowser escapes. They then find Toadbert, who somehow ended up on Yoshi Island as well as losing his memory, inside the literal belly of the beast, and he shows them a smudged up drawing he made of what he remembered of the event at Peach's castle, making think it is the younger princess who battled with Peach and that Peach failed to defeat her. After rescuing the captured Yoshis from Sunnycide, the heroes then confront Bowser again, who ends up coughing up the shards. The Elder Princess Shroob, not liking to be eaten, levitates the shards to push the Koopa Prince far away, allowing the Marios to reclaim the shards.
The heroes then recover the next piece from Petey Piranha in Gritzy Desert. Afterwards, they travel to the Star Shrine to recover another piece. It was then that they are contacted by the "Star Sprite" of the Cobalt Star, which was actually the Elder Princess Shroob in disguise. She lies to the Marios that it was Princess Shroob who shattered the Cobalt Star to prevent it from being used against her, and tells them that if they recover five of the six shards, than she can open the way into Shroob Castle so that they can find the last shard and fully defeat the Shroobs, when in fact this will restore her to full strength. The only person who sees through her masquerade is Baby Luigi, evidenced by his crying. Nearby, they then find Toadbert, who regained his memory after Kylie Koopa, a reporter, fell on him and reveals that he had a shard on him the whole time, but knows what will truly happen if the Cobalt Star is restored. When the Marios reveal that they have been collecting shards, he runs away to keep the star from being reassembled. The Cobalt Star then leads the Marios to Toadbert and Kylie Koopa, who had just been attacked by the Elder Shrooboid, which stole the shard from him. At that point, Toadbert requests that they remove the smudge on the drawing he made, revealing the real younger Shroob Princess at the scene, though the Marios are unable to interpret the message. Before Toadbert could explain further, the Shrooboid attacks again and turns both him and Kylie into mushrooms, preventing them from getting the full truth. They then defeat the Shrooboid and reclaim the Star shard from it.
Reveal and Final Battle
As promised, the Elder Princess Shroob uses her authority to undo the barrier blocking the way into Shroob Castle, where the Marios fight and defeat her younger sister. They then release Princess Peach, who reveals that she had the last shard all along, but refuses to allow the Cobalt Star to be reassembled, much to the Marios' confusion. Just then, Prince Bowser appears and steals all the shards, putting the last one in place despite Peach's objections. With her last breath, the younger princess shouts to her sister to finish the heroes and avenge her death before exploding. Afterwards, the reassembled Cobalt Star goes berserk and turns Bowser into a purple mushroom. Peach then reveals to Marios of what truly happened when she arrived in the past, much to the Marios shock and horror. During which, the Elder Shroob Princess reconstitutes herself while also erasing the Cobalt Star from existence. She then mocks the heroes for unwittingly restoring her to power, and declares that she will avenge her fallen sister by destroying the Marios once and for all. She also commands the platform they all stand on to levitate itself into the sky so that the heroes have no chance of escape.
The Elder Princess Shroob fights the Marios by summoning Shroob saucers to assist her. However, the Marios manage to gain upper hand in the fight with some assistance from Peach. After being beaten, the cruel tyrant then taps into the power in her crown and mutates into a stronger form. The sight of her new form was so horrific that Peach collapses, leaving the Marios fight her alone. The four heroes then have to defeat her by attacking her crown, which made her nearly invincible, then attacking the Elder Princess Shroob herself. After a long, difficult battle, the Mario Bros. and Baby Mario Bros. emerge as the victors. Although fatally wounded, the Shroob princess swears that the Shroobs will have vengeance and destroy the Mushroom Kingdom before turning into a small purple mushroom, which Baby Luigi claims. The remainder of her forces were then eliminated and all their victims restored when E. Gadd uses a machine to spread baby tears all across the kingdom of the past.
When the Mario Bros. return to the Mushroom Kingdom's present, they find the adult Bowser unconscious after he escaped the Thwomp Volcano. The mushroom that was once Elder Princess Shroob floats out of Baby Luigi's pocket and into Bowser's mouth, allowing her to possess him and turning him into Shrowser. The Mario Bros. defeat Shrowser and destroy Elder Princess Shroob's soul for good, releasing Bowser from her control and back into unconsciousness, ending the plague of the evil Shroobs once and for all.
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
During the optional battle with three Shroobs in Bowser's Castle, several Shroobs can be seen frozen in the background, including Elder Princess Shroob. She is frozen in ice by herself in Bowser's Inside Story, or with Princess Shroob in Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr.'s Journey. This has given way too much confusion, as she was clearly destroyed at the conclusion of Partners in Time. There are many theories behind this but two stand out as most likely:
- The Shroobs first attacked the Mushroom Kingdom in the present (sometime before the events of Bowser's Inside Story), but they ended up attacking Bowser's castle first, and Bowser froze them. They were then rescued by Princess Shroob, and Elder Princess Shroob (who has been established as being able to create time warps) travelled into the past to take over the Mushroom Kingdom there, easier, when Bowser was Baby Bowser. (though it is implied in the game that Bowser froze Shroob survivors such as Junior Shrooboid).
- Her cameo was just a nod to people who may have played Partners in Time and recognized her.
Or perhaps all the frozen Shroobs in the battle's background weren't really there (as, outside the battle, the only other Shroob in the room beside the three Mario and Luigi fight is Junior Shrooboid, who never seems to be destroyed in Partners in Time), and were a battle background decoration to remind the players of Partners in Time. This is most likely given that outside of the battle the room is too small to have such large amounts of frozen Shroobs lined up as a crowd.
Powers and Abilities
- Power: Elder Princess Shroob is the most powerful enemy in the game, even stronger than the Elder Shrooboid, Commander Shroob, or her sister.
- Strength: Elder Princess Shroob can carry around a large smoking meteor with ease although it does slow her down considerably.
- Durability: Elder Princess Shroob's normal form has 3500 HP and can survive being stamped on from on high by use of the Trampolines, multiple hits from the Baby Mario Bros' hammers, and fire without getting a scratch.
- Shroob UFO Summoning: By screaming out in the Shroob language, Elder Princess Shroob can summon an armada of Shroob UFO's to the battlefield. They allow access to her main attacks but can be knocked down by a large star Princess Peach occasionally gives the Mario Bros whenever more appear.
- Shroob Chomp Chase: Elder Princess Shroob can go off-screen and summon a Shroob-ified Chain Chomp (although how is unclear since the battle takes place on a flying platform) and call a Shroob UFO to guide it. The Bros must either jump over the Chomp or stamp it out of the arena to not take damage although this can only be performed when there is at least one UFO on-screen otherwise it will not be used.
- Vim UFO Summoning: Once she has lost 500 HP, Elder Princess Shroob will start summoning a UFO to bring her green Vim that will restore 120 HP. However, she will also destroy the UFO by swiping it off-screen which will eliminate it from the overhead numbers.
- Shroob Meteor Crush: As long as there at least three Shroob UFO's on-screen, Elder Princess Shroob can order them to get her a large smoking purple-black meteor that she will grab and march on a Bro, eventually dropping it on them and causing massive damage. The player must hammer her seven times to make her drop it and return to her starting position. THis will occur even if a Bro is Dizzy and, if she advances on said Dizzy Bro, they cannot counter attack and will take damage.
- Saucer Blast: Elder Princess Shroob's strongest attack in this form. She can summon Shroob UFOs to fly under her and lift her into the air which she will fly up and down on them, firing energy blasts that player must jump over or remain on the ground (depending on whether she is aiming at them or above them.
- Shockwave: As long as the Bros aren't KO'd by that attack, Elder Princess Shroob will jump off of the Saucers (destroying them and taking them out of the fleet overhead) and land hard enough to generate a massive green-red-yellow shockwave that the Bros must jump or they'd take massive damage.
- Ram Attack: Elder Princess Shroob's only attack that she can perform without the UFO's. She will occasionally reel back and ram into one of the Mario Bros (the one she is standing opposite of). This must be countered with the Hammers but she often uses a tactic of stopping right before the targeted brother, tricking him into swinging his hammer too early and then quickly charging again; she reveals that she is going to stop by waving her hand wildly and gaining a crooked expression.
- Energy Blasts: Elder Princess Shroob can fire massive purple energy balls from her torso which the Bros must jump over. However, this is only seen in her Saucer Blast attack.
- Transformation: After losing 3500 HP, Elder Princess Shroob will have a momentary seizure before stabilising herself and then touching her crown, making it flash and generate a massive purple cloud which would change her into a more ferocious form.
- Strength: Using her tentacles (see "Tentable Grab"), Elder Princess Shroob an easily pick up and throw the Bros.
- Durability: As long as her crown remains active (indicated by the glowing jewel on it),her head (her sole weakspot) will only take 1 damage per hit (even if it is hit by Cannoballers) although how the crown does this is unclear. It should be noted though that her Energy Blast Ball attack (see below) will deal 35 damage even with the crown active.
The only way to defeat Elder Princess Shroob in her ultimate form is to disable her crown but it is off-screen until the leg-tentacle(s) are destroyed. Cannonballers is recommended since it does the most immediate damage and you can directly target the head whereas Trampolines and Copy Flowers target an active part of her body at random. Once that happens, after taking 400 HP, the player must take out the crown which has 200 HP (requiring the use of 2 Cannonballers). With the crown out of commission, the player must use the most powerful Bros. Items (Copy Flowers, Cannonballers, Trampolines) to deal as much damage as possible since she will reactivate it after three turns. Rinse and repeat until she goes down for good.
|“||I LAUGH AT YOU, YOU MUSHROOM HEADS! PATHETIC THINGS! YOU GATHERED THE COBALT STAR SHARDS WITHOUT EVER GUESSING THE TRUTH! NOW I AM FREE! AND THAT HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE COBALT STAR IS NO MORE! I FEAR NOTHING NOW! DO YOU HEAR ME? NOTHING!||„|
|~ Elder Princess Shroob immediately after being unleashed from the Colbalt Star|
|“||I WILL GIVE YOU A SPECIAL REWARD FOR SETTING ME FREE. YOU WILL LOVE IT. AND MY SISTER... MY DEAR, SWEET, BEAUTIFUL SISTER... I WILL AVENGE HER!||„|
|~ Elder Princess Shroob swearing to avenge her sister immediately before starting the final battle.|
|“||FOOLISH MUSHROOM HEADS... YOU MAY HAVE BESTED ME, BUT SHROOBS WILL LIVE ON... ONE DAY, THE SHROOBS WILL DANCE ON THE BURIED REMAINS OF THIS PATHETIC KINGDOM...||„|
|~ Elder Princess Shroob's last words before turning into a purple mushroom after Mario, Luigi, Baby Mario and Baby Luigi defeated her.|
- Elder Princess Shroob is the only character in the entire Mario franchise to speak exclusively in upper case lettering.
- This does not count games such as Super Paper Mario seeing as all dialogue in that game was upper case and was more an editing choice than a character quirk.
- Elder Princess Shroob is the only member of the Shroobs who can speak fluent English. All others only spoke in their gibberish emoticon language with Princess Shroob's somehow being translated.
- How the Colbalt Star shards came to be spread around the kingdom is unclear. It is possible that the younger Shroob princess sent the pieces far away to ensure her sister couldn't return and thus she'd control the race.
- Elder Princess Shroob is similar to Dark Bowser, the final boss in Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, as both are killed directly by Bowser and indirectly by the Mario Bros (though in Elder Princess Shroob's case this wasn't intentional on Bowser's part and he was just deflecting the energy blasts).