This Article Contains Spoilers -
WARNING: This article contains major spoilers. If you do not wish to know vital information on plot / character elements in a story, you may not wish to read beyond this warning: We hold no responsibility for any negative effects these facts may have on your enjoyment of said media should you continue. That is all.
|This article's content is marked as Mature|
The page Mature contains mature content that may include coarse language, sexual references, and/or graphic violent images which may be disturbing to some. Mature pages are recommended for those who are 18 years of age and older.
If you are 18 years or older or are comfortable with graphic material, you are free to view this page. Otherwise, you should close this page and view another page.
|“||If I lose my fangs, I'll use my claws. If I lose my claws, I'll use my bones. And if I lose my bones, I'll use my life. That's how a "Bowel Hunter" fights!||„|
|~ Elsa's fighting creed.|
|“||Gusteko, the land to the north where I was born, was a very cold and desolate place. I was abandoned as a child, I hurt people and stole from them day after day. I had no time to think about things like truly living or happiness. Once, during a blizzard, I was stealing from a shop and its owner captured me. Since I was a thieving girl, he felt justified in stripping off all my clothes. But in a frantic search, I happened to find a shard of glass. There was no thought or hesitation, I held it tightly and thrust it into his belly. After I did, while naked and shivering in the cold, I began thinking. The blood and the entrails, they looked so very warm. If there's happiness in this world, it's when you have enough warmth to make you forget the cold. It was the first time I ever knew joy.||„|
|~ Elsa telling Garfiel about her past.|
Elsa Granhiert (previously named Elsa Featherrun and simply Elsa), known infamously as the Bowel Hunter, was a major antagonist in the 2014 Japanese dark fantasy light novel series Re:Zero − Starting Life in Another World, as well as its anime television series & manga adaptations of the same name. She was the main antagonist of the first story arc, one of the two secondary antagonists (alongside the Great Rabbit) of the fourth story arc, and a posthumous character in the sixth story arc. Additionally, she made appearances in several side stories, short stories, and video games based within the narrative universe of Re:Zero.
Having no parents, Elsa grew up as a thief on the streets of Gusteko, the icy kingdom located to the north of Lugunica. One day, Granhiert was caught stealing and was forced to slit her captor's stomach open when he tried to rape her, marking her first kill. After this event, Granhiert grew to enjoy the practice of slitting peoples' stomachs open, garnering fascination and even arousal upon the sight of a person's bowels laid bare. She eventually joined the Gusteko Assassin Organization, a group of mercenaries led by an enigmatic figure known as "Mama" that accepted jobs from clients across the world. Elsa earned notoriety as the "Bowel Hunter," a nickname attributed to her in recognition of her unique style of killing targets. She quickly became dreaded as the most fearsome serial killer in the whole of Gusteko.
At around twenty-three years of age, Elsa was tasked with retrieving the Dragon Jewel, an emblem owned by the half-elf Emilia that identified her as a candidate to become Lugunica's next ruler. In order to complete the mission, Granhiert travelled to Lugunica's capital city and hired the common street thief Felt to steal the insignia for her. However, when Elsa went to the chosen rendezvous point, she discovered that Emilia had tracked Felt to the building, prompting Granhiert to decide to butcher everyone present and take the Insignia by force. She fought against the people present in the building—Emilia and her spirit Puck, the criminal Rom, Felt, and the Japanese teenager Subaru Natsuki who had recently been summoned to Elsa's world. Although she initially held the upper hand, Elsa was defeated when the Master Swordsman Reinhard van Astrea arrived on the scene and engaged her in combat. However, before Reinhard could apprehend Elsa, she escaped.
Around two months later, Elsa was hired by the Lugunican nobleman Roswaal L. Mathers to murder the occupants of his own mansion that consisted of two maids and a shut-in. Unlike the incident in the capital, Elsa was accompanied by her assassin partner/surrogate younger sister Meili Portroute who had the power to control mabeasts. Like before, the Japanese teenager Subaru Natsuki, who was a resident of the mansion, opposed the sadistic Bowel Hunter. This time, he had another powerful ally in the form of the barbaric warrior Garfiel Tinzel. The Hunter and Tinsel conducted a savage battle that saw the latter emerge victorious after he managed to overwhelm Granhiert's healing factor. Elsa's body was completely pulverized and her surrogate sister was the only person to mourn her loss.
Elsa was voiced by Mamiko Noto in the Japanese version of the anime adaptation and by Cristina Vee in the English version. Noto's other villainous roles include Yukako Yamagishi in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable, Enma Ai in Hell Girl, Hecate in Shakugan no Shana, and Sayoko Mishima in Ah! My Goddess. Valenzuela has also voiced Ladybug in Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir, Killua Zoldyck in Hunter x Hunter, Sakura Matou/Dark Sakura in the Fate franchise, Mosquito Girl in One Punch Man, Darkness in KonoSuba: God's Blessing on this Wonderful World!, Hawk in The Seven Deadly Sins, Swan in Fairy Tail: Dragon Cry, Rei Hōōmaru in Kill la Kill, Nu-13 in BlazBlue, Lucy Maud Montgomery in Bungo Stray Dogs, and Pandora in Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas.
Elsa Granhiert was unusually tall for a woman, as she stood around the same height as Subaru Natsuki at the time of his summoning. Her black eyes (purple in the anime adaptation) angled down towards their edges and presented Elsa with a certain level of calmness and gentleness. Below her left eye Elsa had a beauty spot.
Her long wavy hair was the same shade of black as Subaru's (a trait that was very rare in her world) and was braided into a long tail on the left side of her head that reached down to her hips. A single purple flower decorated the left side of Elsa's head. Granhiert was a woman of incredible beauty who apparently oozed eroticism with every move she made. Her white skin was unusually pale to the point that it could almost be described as sickening, and Elsa's slim body was well-endowed with large breasts and sultry curves. Her bewitching beauty coupled with her well-endowed body was enough to catch the eye of most people she met.
Elsa's clothing, as if to match the woman herself, was extremely provocative. Her outfit consisted of a pair of black elbow-length gloves with purple trimmings at the top, a pair of black high-heel shoes, and a black dress with purple decorations that was both strapless and backless and featured brown tights. The dress, that clung to Elsa's body fairly tightly, also had thigh-high slits on either side and an exposed front that flaunted her bellybutton and cleavage.
Perhaps Elsa's defining trait was the arousal she garnered from gutting people and toying with their steaming entrails. Upon facing worthy opponents, Elsa would express excitement at the prospect of gutting them, pondering on random variables such as what color her opponents' entrails would be. After disembowelling Subaru Natsuki, she barraged him with a flurry of questions related to the pain he was feeling as he lay dying on the floor of the loothouse, conveying that she received sadistic arousal from the pain others felt due to her actions. Her warped sense of arousal didn't end with her opponents, as Elsa also felt masochistic ecstasy whenever she was wounded by others, such as when Subaru kicked her in the loothouse. She didn't feel any remorse towards those she gutted, even if they were children or the elderly.
Elsa was a battle maniac, not even hesitating to injure herself if she can fight strong opponents, which was helped by her abnormal healing rate. This was also shown through her persistence. Due to her blessing she claimed to be a vampire, though she didn't drink blood, nor did she receive any ill effects when under the sun. Elsa also enjoyed knitting cotton dolls, especially after a good kill, and mentions to have over 10 years of experience.
Powers & Abilities
- Enhanced Sense of Smell: Elsa was born, for no apparent reason, with an unnaturally acute sense of smell. Her heightened sense allowed her to better distinguish the scents of a person in the air, meaning she could smell people who were keeping out of sight and have a better bearing on her surroundings in general. Much like a dog, the Bowel Hunter could determine a person's emotional state through their scent. For instance, she could tell if someone was afraid or trying to deceive her by smelling them.
- Regeneration: As a result of experimentation, Elsa Granhiert gained the ability to rapidly recreate lost or damaged cells. She could instantly recover from major lacerations and was able to regrow severed body parts. She was able to regenerate after having her entire body crystalized and shattered by Beatrice, and even survived an attack from the Master Swordsman himself. Those who were unaware of her power thought her to be an unstoppable killing machine incapable of dying or tiring. However, there was a limit to how much damage she could sustain, as eventually her healing factor could become overwhelmed by continuous significant wounds that would cause it to stop functioning. Additionally, the strikes of the Master Swordsman were capable of delaying or negating the Bowel Hunter's regeneration.
- Bowel Hunter's Blades: Granhiert's primary weapons of choice were a set of short ornate black Kukri blades. She always carried multiple spares to be used if her primaries were destroyed, and depending on her mood she would wield either a single blade or a pair of blades. These weapons were a design that originated from Elsa's homeland of Gusteko, and overtime they became synonymous with the Bowel Hunter. Additionally, she carried numerous small needle-like projectiles that she could use to skewer people from afar.
- Enchanted Cloaks: Upon being hired by Margrave Roswaal L. Mathers, Granhiert was given a feathered cloak that was enchanted with a light magic enhancement. The enchantment in question ensured that any offensive magical attack that struck the cloak would dissipate and leave its wearer unharmed. However, it only worked once, as after negating an attack the cloak would dissipate. Also, the enchantment only worked against physical attacks, meaning spells such as Shamac were unaffected. Elsa was given the cloak to compensate for her natural weakness to magic, and after having used it to negate an attack from Puck, she was given a second one.
Elsa Granhiert by Kenichiro Suehiro
List of Appearances
Chapter 1: A Day in the Capital
Chapter 2: A Week at the Mansion
Chapter 3: Truth of Zero
- Elsa's birthday was April 29 and she was 23 years old at the time of her death.
- Aside from disembowelling, Elsa enjoyed sewing and knitting in her spare time. She made a doll of Reinhard van Astrea for Meili after her defeat in the loothouse.
|Capella Emerada Lugunica · Louis Arneb · Lye Batenkaitos · Pandora · Petelgeuse Romanée-Conti · Regulus Corneas · Roy Alphard · Sirius · Stride Volakia|
|Witches of Sin|
|Carmilla · Daphne · Echidna · Hector · Minerva · Pandora · Satella · Sekhmet · Typhon|
|Black Serpent · Great Rabbit · White Whale|
|Gusteko Assassin Organization|
|Elsa Granhiert · Mama · Meili Portroute|
|Balleroy Temeglyph · Bean Argyle · Heinkel Astrea · Kurgan · Melaquera · Miles · Reid Astrea · Roswaal Mathers · Sphinx · Ton, Chin, and Kan|