|“||I'm allergic to water! It makes me melt!||„|
|~ Evillene's fate.|
Evillene, the Wicked Witch of the West, is the main antagonist of the 1975 broadway musical, The Wiz and the 1978 film version of the same name.
Her enemies are Dorothy, the Scarecrow, Tin Man and the Lion. She wants to avenge the death of her sister Evermean and to retrieve her silver slippers.
Evillene's hench men are the Winkies and the Flying Monkeys. The Flying Monkeys capture Dorothy and her friends. Evillene tries to take back the silver shoes but her powers are worthless against Dorothy. Evillene tortures Dorothy's friends. This includes Dorothy's little pet dog, Toto, with Evillene threatening to burn him alive. But just as Dorothy is willing to surrender, the Scarecrow (while still split in half) hints Dorothy toward a fire alarm. Just as Evillene screams at Dorothy, Dorothy pulls the fire alarm, activating the sprinklers and putting out the fire; this also manages to melt Evillene (as a result of her being allergic to water) as she disappears and is flushed down her toilet throne.
Skills and Powers
- she has the power to teleport anyone or anything to her workshop at close range as indicated the bolts of lightning coming from her entrance
- She also can move inanimate objects and people around or even order people without touching/ordering them
- she can intimidate even the most powerful people in OZ as even opposing her can cause great consequences on her side of OZ.
- She can harm people with pyro or lightning to deadly effects
- Her Reputation as the most dangerous in OZ has caused almost everyone to fear her, even the The Wiz has shown secretly great fear of her.
- She is Very Allergic to Water as too much can cause her to melt completely into a puddle
- She has a very short temper to the point she harms anyone that gives her bad news or who opposes her rule/command.
- She is also very cocky to the point she gloats and monologues at very serious moments
- she cannot harm or force off the wearer of her sister's shoes because if she would try that, it would cause her great pain and her magic would backfire
- In the original broadway musical and the 1978 film adaptation, she was portrayed by the late Mabel King.
- In the 1984 broadway revival, she was portrayed by Ella Mitchell, who was an understudy for Mabel King during the shows original run.
- At the 2009 City Center Encores!, she was portrayed by Tichina Arnold, who also played Rochelle Rock in Everybody Hates Chris.
- In the 2015 NBC live musical telecast, she was portrayed by Mary J. Blige, who would later play Cha Cha in The Umbrella Academy.