Fang the Sniper (Nack the Weasel in the USA) is a supporting antagonist in the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise. He is a purple anthropomorphic jerboa-wolf and a treasure hunter who sought the Chaos Emeralds.
Fang appeared as one of the three main antagonists (alongside Dr. Eggman and Knuckles the Echidna) in Sonic Triple Trouble, a playable character in Sonic Drift 2, an anti-heroic antagonist in Sonic the Fighters, a minor character in Tails Adventure, and an unseen antagonist in Sonic Mania.
Fang is a slick, sneaky, and mischievous character who will steal the Emeralds for an easier job or to sell on the black market. Nack tries hard to outwit others, but is held back by naivety and arrogance in his own strength, and because of this, he often fails in whatever scheme he is doing.
Nack also appeared in Sonic Drift 2 as a playable racer, and in Sonic the Fighters as a playable fighter. Fang also makes a small minor appearance Tails Adventure he can be found at Polly Mountain in a location that Tails remote control robot can oy access once Fang is found he gives the player the ability to make enemies lose the rings that they are carrying. He was set to appear in Sonic X-treme as a boss character, but the game was cancelled. Nack makes a cameo in Sonic Generations on a "Wanted" poster in the City Escape stage. The poster reads, "Wanted: Fang A.K.A. Nack."
In Sonic Mania, Fang, along with Bean and Bark, can be seen on various wanted posters throughout the Mirage Saloon Zone. Later, during the Act 2 boss fight, Heavy Magician shapeshifts into Fang, Bean and Bark in order to attack; in her Fang form, she bounces back and forth firing blasts from her popguns.
Sonic the Comic
In Sonic the Comic, Nack is a weasel who used to be a member of the Chaotix Crew, but betrayed them and sold them to the Brotherhood of Metallix for money. He reappeared sporadically throughout the comic, working solely for financial gain either through mercenary work or robbing banks/ancient treasures, and he battled the Chaotix twice. He was later instrumental in shrinking various characters (including himself and Sonic the Hedgehog) to sub-molecular size, initiating a string of adventures on the sub-molecular world of Shanazar.
Pre-Super Genesis Wave
In the Sonic the Hedgehog and its spin-off comic series published by Archie Comics, Nack is a dangerous weasel bounty hunter and assassin, willing to do any evil to get the job done. He has frequently worked as a hitman for Eggman.
While clumsy, Fang is eviler then his game counterpart such as killing his three cousins for failing him, then cracking a joke about it.
In this media, he also has a sister named Nic the Weasel, who he does not get along well at times though they have worked with each other in the past. Nack is a frequent foe of Sonic and the other Freedom Fighters, has a grudge against Sally Acorn after failing to take her as hostage and even once tried to assasinate pop singer, Mina Mongoose at a concert.
He has been known to take jobs from multiple clients, including Mammoth Mogul and especially Doctor Robotnik. He is also often a part of his own team named the Hooligans, along with Bean the Dynamite and Bark the Polarbear.
Post-Super Genesis Wave
After the reboot, Fang remained the leader of Team Hooligan and continued to be a frequent ally of Eggman, but was more of a comedic bumbler in line with his game counterpart.
- According to the Japanese manual of Sonic & Tails 2, it is said that Fang resides in the mysterious Special Stage, which is described as another dimension.
- In most media, unlike most other characters, Fang has 4 fingers instead of 5, even in Japanese promotional artwork. The reason for this is not known, although the most common theory is that this is a reference to Yubitsume, a Japanese ritual to amputate parts of one's own finger that is practiced by members of the Yakuza, a prominent Japanese criminal organization.
- Alternatively, his varying number of fingers may simply be a result of his being from another dimension. He is the only inhabitant of the "Special Stage" that has been seen and his four fingers could be representative of all other beings from the Special Stage.
- Originally, Fang's signature weapon was going to be a realistic gun, but he eventually used a cork-firing popgun in Sonic the Fighters after Sega axed the idea.
- In character select of Sonic the Fighters, Fang's gloves are miscolored white instead of brown in his icon.
- Originally Fang was supposed to be in Sonic X-treme as a boss. In several magazine screenshots Fang is shown to be unusually giant, similarly to Metal Sonic in the video game. According to the developers, the reason for this was the fact, that the players would have easier to get hit precision to the boss characters. Because the game was canceled, Fang never made an appearance in the game.
- Fang was left out of Sonic Tweet for unknown reasons.
- In Archie Sonic Universe Issue 24, Nack is introduced at the beginning as "Nack the Weasel: fanged sniper" referencing his usual name. Also, Nack is again referred to as a "fanged sniper" in Issues 187-188.
- Fang was a prominent figure in the classic era as he had the most appearances of any side character from that era in Sonic.
- His most famous appearance within the comics was when he appeared as the main antagonist in the arc "Treasure Team Tango".
Archie & Riverdale
Sabrina the Teenage Witch & Chilling Adventures of Sabrina
Sonic the Hedgehog