|“||You bet your lily-white livers that I'm the Flying Dutchman! And I'll let you in on a little secret... 'm going to steal your soul!||„|
|~ Flying Dutchman in "Scaredy Pants".|
|“||Ahrgh! Who summons me from my endless slumber? I'll have yer eyes for appetizers and yer insides for dessert! For I am the Flying Dutchman!||„|
|~ The Flying Dutchman in SpongeBob SquarePants: Revenge of the Flying Dutchman.|
The Flying Dutchman is a recurring antagonist in Nickelodeon's SpongeBob SquarePants franchise. He serves as the secondary antagonist of the first three seasons, and the main antagonist of the 2002 video game SpongeBob SquarePants: Revenge of the Flying Dutchman.
He is a powerful ghost who haunts the ocean, named after the legendary ghost ship of the same name. He is of enormous size compared to the other characters and captains a floating ghost ship with a green glow similar to his own, of which he appears to be the sole permanent crew member. He appears to be mainly interested in "scaring" undersea creatures rather than actually causing serious harm.
He is voiced by Brian Doyle-Murray.
The Flying Dutchman is shown to be cruel and sadistic. He enjoys terrorizing people for his own amusement. However, he also rewards people who help him, and keeps his promises. He also shows no tolerance for those he considers greedy/amoral as he harasses Mr. Krabs several times throughout the series because of his greed.
The Flying Dutchman is a ghost with a chartreuse green glow around him, yellow eyes with black irises, a scraggly beard, a pirate hat with a chunk taken out, a droopy nose, a coat, little pigtails, and a ghostly tail.
The Dutchman's exact nature and role are inconsistent between episodes. It can be inferred from his appearance that he is the undead spirit of a pirate, and one episode mentions that the reason he haunts the seven seas is because his corpse was used as a mannequin in a clothing store window and he was never put to rest. In another episode, he states that he has not worn laced shoes in 5,000 years, yet pirates did not exist that long ago. Other episodes suggest the Flying Dutchman is a Devil/Grim Reaper–like figure, primarily Born Again Krabs where he attempts to put Mr. Krabs in the undersea version of Hell, "Davy Jones' Locker", which turns out to literally be a locker cabinet belonging to a person named Davy Jones, and in a much later episode, it is revealed that the Davy Jones in question is in fact none other than the Monkees member of the same name.
The Flying Dutchman notably appears as an enemy in several if not most SpongeBob SquarePants video games, most notably "Revenge of the Flying Dutchman" where he is the titular main antagonist. He also appeared in the Nickelodeon short "The Legend of Boo-kini Bottom" as the main antagonist.
- He is named after the legendary ghost ship of the same name and seems to resemble the famous pirate Blackbeard (Edward Teach) or the ship's captain and mythological character Davey Jones, although according to the legend of the Flying Dutchman the ship's captain is a man by the name of Willem van Der Decken.
- Hence his name, his accent sounds a little Dutch, which is a Germanic language just like German, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, and Icelandic. All of those languages are known for being choppy sounding and the Flying Dutchman has a choppy sounding voice.
- The Flying Dutchman doesn't like having his beard shaved off as he fears that he would get pimples again.
- It is said that his beard grows in 1,000 years, but it grew back in several months. However, this claim could be rather false as he is known to exaggerate.
- Flying Dutchman - SpongeBob SquarePants Wiki
- Flying Dutchman - Nickelodeon Wiki
- Flying Dutchman - Pirates Wikipedia