|“||Also, check on the curtain in Pirate Cove from time to time. The character in there seems unique in that he becomes more active if the cameras remain off for long periods of time. I guess he doesn't like being watched. I don't know.||„|
|~ The Phone Guy about Foxy the Pirate.|
|“||Yar-har-har-har-har! Never underestimate the cunning of a pirate. Or a fox, for that matter!||„|
|~ Foxy's death quote from Ultimate Custom Night.|
Foxy the Pirate Fox, known as simply Foxy the Pirate (with a human name of Fritz), is an out-of-order, worn down animatronic and a major antagonist in the Five Nights at Freddy's franchise.
He is a major antagonist in Five Nights at Freddy's, Five Nights at Freddy's 2, and Ultimate Custom Night, a posthumous antagonist in Five Nights at Freddy's 3, Five Nights at Freddy's VR: Help Wanted, and Five Nights at Freddy's AR: Special Delivery, and a minor character in Five Nights at Freddy's 4. In Five Nights at Freddy's AR: Special Delivery, he has three skins known as Radioactive Foxy, Ringmaster Foxy, and Big Bad Foxy.
He is voiced by Christopher McCullough.
Foxy is a tall red anthropomorphic fox with two orange pupils and a wide jaw, and fox strings of hairs from the top of his head. He has the stereotypical pirate's appearance: aside from his eye-patch, he has three strings of hairs from the top of his head and a hook for his right hand. However, unlike the stereotypical fox, he doesn't have a tail. As well as a set of teeth which appears to be the sharpest out of all animatronics; some of which are also gold.
Foxy appears to be damaged as some parts of his endoskeleton are exposed. In fact, he appears to be the most damaged animatronic in Five Nights at Freddy's. This maybe the results from his long-time isolation, which partially decayed his body, as seen on his left hand which is completely bare, exposing the machinery underneath. Also, his arms, chest, and legs are ripped on various places. Despite this, Foxy globally remains in a good state, and can also run significantly faster than the rest of the gang. Ironically, Foxy is actually slower than the other robots. this is why he runs straight into the office, rather than toy with his prey.
In Five Nights at Freddy's 2, Foxy appears even more damaged and decayed. Like the other old animatronics, the jaw of his endoskeleton shows through his suit. Among his more notable tears is that of his left ear, which has been completely scratched off, and his original rips which have grown in size. His lower torso has been almost completely stripped, revealing much of the endoskeleton. Foxy's eyelids are now no longer always drooping, they widen in Foxy's attack animation.
Foxy is the only animatronic who bears two hooks in place of two hands, which can be seen in the cameras in Pirate Cove, as well as the West Hall when he rushes towards the security guard's office. It is likely part of Foxy's theme as a pirate.
Unlike the other animatronics were shown to be nice and joyful the day, Foxy is rather treated as an enigmatic outcast. Thus, he does not show his real personality to the customers; but like the rest of the band, Foxy becomes a cunning, dangerous, and manipulative robot once the night guard takes their place in the Office.
Unlike other animatronics, he seems to be joyful as Foxy is the only robot who is heard singing a song. He may be bored, frustrated, or simply killing time before he can rush at you.
Foxy's behavior is unique in that rather than randomly moving around the rooms, Foxy will stay behind the curtains in Pirate Cove and gradually becomes more active throughout the night. The less the player looks at the camera feed, the faster he becomes active. If Foxy becomes fully active, he will leave Pirate Cove and almost immediately appear in the Security Office, killing the player instantly.
Some players interpret the fact that Foxy runs to the Office, bangs at the door and heavily screams without jumping at the player as a warning rather than attempted murder, which would actually means that Foxy wants to help the night guard, but unintentionally kills him anyway (possibly from a heart-attack). If this is true, Foxy might be a well-intended extremist, but this hasn't been confirmed yet. Also, one fact that contradict this theory is that Foxy may have participated in Phone Guy's murder, along the rest of the gang. Foxy would also jump at the night guard in the second game.
He is similar to Michael Afton as his intentions are very unclear (however, he still functions as an antagonist).
The Bite of '87 Theory
During the early days of Five Nights at Freddy's it was commonly theorized that Foxy was responsible for the Bite of '87 as his jaw is broken, which could be a result of biting down a customer, and his sharp teeth and elongated mouth make him the most capable of serious damage. That also explains why Pirate Cove is closed down, and why Foxy was set aside.
However, after the release of the fourth game, many people believed the culprit was Fredbear after witnessing the Night 5 mini-game. However, it is later confirmed by Scott Cawthon that this was not the Bite of '87, and was the Bite of '83.
Additionally, before the fourth game's release and after the second game's release, a lot of evidence proved that Foxy was not responsible for the bite:
- He was kept in the back room along with the other old animatronics in the second game, which would make it hard for him to actually bite someone.
- If he actually was responsible for the bite, then all of the old animatronics would've been scrapped for good, but it was the toy animatronics that were scrapped for good due to them possibly malfunctioning.
- In addition, in the first game, if you pay attention to the first few frames of Foxy's jumpscare, you can see that his jaw is closed before he opens it, suggesting that he still has control over his jaw, and it's not permanently stuck open.
- Foxy leaves immediately upon closing arriving at a closed door.
- If both Bonnie and Foxy are in the hallway at the same time, Foxy will be favored while Bonnie will vanish.
- If the player notices Foxy isn't in Pirate Cove, there is an amount of time where the player can close the door before viewing the West Hall and triggering his sprint (five to ten seconds). This technique may save a night when Foxy is particularly active by bypassing his trigger in this way will essentially render him harmless.
- Foxy apparently sings the "Dum dum dum" song.
- Foxy is the only animatronic which can be seen actually moving on camera.
- Unlike the other animatronics, the screen doesn't shake when Foxy attacks the player.
- This is likely because unlike the other animatronics, Foxy does not jump into the player's face.
- This had lead people to once believe that Foxy was not actually evil and just checking on the guard, giving him a heart attack in the process by accident. This has been disproven in later games.
- Foxy's death animation can be cancelled if the power runs out or if another animatronic gets in first.
- Before Foxy was created, his character was originally going to be a Wolf Animatronic, but such character was scrapped when Scott Cawthon conceived the character of Foxy the Pirate.
- Since the reveal of the final screen of the Lorekeeper ending in Freddy Fazbear's Pizza Simulator, that the child (based on the position of Foxy's head in the Good Ending of FNaF 3) possessing Foxy is Fritz which is also in the novel Fourth closet.
- Foxy is unique to all of the other enemies, as he is the only one who cannot be seen glitching and is the only animatronic you can see physically moving from place to place.
- As revealed in this video, Foxy's scream is a heavily modified version of an actual child's scream.
- At first, Foxy was commonly mistaken as a female, due to his feminine name, similarly to Bonnie.
- At the end of Night 6 of Five Nights at Freddy's 2, the older Foxy, along with the other older animatronics, are kept for a possible reopening of the pizzeria, even if on a smaller budget.
- A bug exists that can be exploited to make any night that involves Foxy being active a lot easier. It is extremely tricky to attempt in the first place so it is only advised if you are patient. The instructions are located here.
- Foxy was infamously the first animatronic to "kill" YouTuber Markiplier during his many playthroughs of the series.
- When Chris McCullough reached 4,000 subscribers on Youtube, he actually did a Cover of You Are a Pirate from Lazy Town with Foxy's Voice.
- Foxy is the first ever damaged animatronic in the franchise.