George, Ralph and Lizzie are major antagonists of the 2018 science-fiction monster action film Rampage, based on the original characters from the 1986 classic arcade game of the same name.
Although George is the primary anti-heroic deuteragonist, Ralph and Lizzie serve as the final antagonists in the climax of the movie.
George was portrayed by Jason Liles through motion capture, while the vocal sound effects of Ralph and Lizzie were provided by Frank Welker.
The primatologist named Davis Okoye has been caring all of his life for George, a silverback albino gorilla, that he saved when it was a year old, at the San Diego Wildlife Sanctuary.
However, a strange genetic experiment left by the scientist Claire Wyden accidentally falls into the habitat of George, infecting him. With the passing of the days, the gorilla begins to grow hugely and adopt aggressive and savage behavior.
Okoye assumes that the experiment had something to do with George's problem, so he along with Dr. Kate Caldwell is taken to an agency led by agent Harvey Russell who tells him about the "Rampage Project".
Russell explains that two other animals have also been infected: a wolf named Ralph and a crocodile named Lizzie. After escaping from the sanctuary, George begins to cause panic in the city but is quickly incapacitated and taken in a cargo plane to the facilities of the agency.
George, having adopted a huge force, is freed from his imprisonment and knocks down the cargo plane, causing it to crash in the middle of a field. To make matters worse, Ralph flees his captivity in the direction of Chicago while Lizzie managed to enter the river, making her way to the same area as George and Ralph.
The three animals begin to cause panic, death and destruction around North America, destroying everything in their path while fighting for supremacy.
Meanwhile, Okoye is forced, along with Caldwell, to find an antidote before George, Ralph and Lizzie cause a worldwide catastrophe. Okoye and Caldwell break into Claire Wyden's research facility and manages to find the antidote to control George's savage behavior. Unfortunately, they are then stopped by Claire Wyden, who shoots Okoye and forces Caldwell to leave with her on helicopter. As soon as they get to the roof, however, George, Ralph and Lizzie arrive and start to destroy the building they are on. Okoye is revealed to be still alive as he rescues Caldwell from Wyden. Caldwell manages to put the cure in Wyden's handbag before Claire is grabbed by George, whom then drops her in his mouth.
After the building is destroyed, George survives and retains his normal personality. However, Ralph and Lizzie also survived. George fights the two while Okoye assists him. After discovering Ralph is able to fly, Okoye fools him into flying into Lizzie's mouth, whom then decapitates him and eats his head. As George struggles to fight Lizzie, Okoye forces to draw her attention to him. As Lizzie corners and is about to devour Okoye, George leaps and impales Lizzie through the head with a metal bar, killing her.
In the aftermath, George seemingly dies from his injuries. Okoye mourns over George's death, as he looks around to see surviving people. Just then, however, George is revealed to have faked his death to make Okoye sorrowful for his amusement. George then gets up and assists survivors, as he is seen assisting people from a building, before the movie ends.
George is a mutated albino gorilla, serving as the primary deuteragonist and anti-hero of the movie. He is based off his original incarnation from the classic arcade game of the same name. As an infant, he was saved by his friend, a primatologist named Davis Okoye and lives his entire life in a sanctuary as he grows up. One day, a mysterious genetic experiment mutates him into a giant savage creature which makes George aggressive, dangerous and vicious as well as giving him superhuman abilities such as enhanced strength, speed, agility, stamina, durability and the ability to heal rapidly from any physical injury. In the climax, George is returned to his normal personality thanks to a cure, but still remains as a giant. He, aided by Davis, starts to fight Lizzie and Ralph in combat, although he is injured in the battle and apparently dies from his wounds. However, it reveals that George, due to his healing factor, was faking his death before he and Davis decide to clean the city of debris and evacuate civilians.
Ralph is a mutated wolf, serving as one of the final antagonists alongside Lizzie. He is based off his original incarnation from the classic arcade game of the same name. Once a normal wolf living in the wilds of Wyoming, he is exposed by a genetic-altering chemical which mutates him into a large canine-like beast. Due to the mutation, Ralph gains monstrous characteristics such as developing porcupine quills all over his back and tail that he can use as projectiles to shoot at victims, bat-like ears, opposable thumbs with slightly sharp claws on his front paws, bulletproof skin and wing membranes over his limbs to help him glide like a flying squirrel. In the climax, Ralph starts to engage George in a fight, but is tricked by Davis into gliding towards Lizzie, who uses a death roll to decapitate Ralph and swallow his head.
Lizzie is a mutated crocodile, serving as one of the final antagonists alongside Ralph. She is based off her original incarnation from the classic arcade game of the same name. Once a normal crocodile living in a lake of the Florida Everglades, she is exposed by a genetic-altering chemical which mutates her into a gigantic crocodilian-like monster. Due to the mutation, Lizzie gains monstrous characteristics such as developing spines all over her back, two large tusks on her upper jaw, multiple rows of teeth, a spike-covered tongue, fish-like gills on her neck, a neck frill that peels opens, spikes on the end of her tail which form a mace, armored skin and large gecko-like feet. In the climax, although she is too indestructible to fight due to her massive size and having survived explosives thrown in her neck as well as having missiles launched at her by Davis, Lizzie is finally killed by George after he impales her through the head with a metal bar.
Powers and Abilities
- Gorilla Physiology: George has several physical attributes that surpasses that of most other gorillas.
- Superhuman Strength: Being capable of superhuman strength due to being exposed to the pathogen, George is able to smash through walls and break steel bars. As he grows bigger and more powerful, George's strength starts to increase. In Chicago, George is strong enough to fight off the military easily, destroy buildings and even throw military vehicles like toys with ease. During his fight with Ralph and Lizzie, he is able to hit Lizzie with part of a construction crane which sent her flying into a building, throw Ralph a considerable distance and even tear off one of Lizzie's tusks.
- Superhuman Leaps: George is able to use his powerful leg muscles to leap great heights and distances.
- Superhuman Speed and Agility: George is able to move faster since he is edited with the speed of a cheetah. He also demonstrates impressive agility as he is able to dodge military jet fire and is capable of sliding under a bridge for cover.
- Superhuman Durability: George is shown to be durable as he is able to survive a plane crash from extremely high off the ground, recover from falling with the Willis Tower and even withstand being bitten and dragged around by Ralph. George is also able to withstand attacks such as military gunfire as well as bites from Lizzie, yet he was still able to fight against her.
- Communication: George is able to use sign language to communicate as Davis Okoye is currently the only human he trusts with this form of communication.
- Climbing: Like all gorillas, George is a master of climbing as he is able to scale buildings such as the Willis Tower.
- Intelligence: George is an extremely intelligent gorilla, which grants him an advantage over Ralph and Lizzie. He coordinates with Davis to battle both monsters, and ultimately kills Lizzie by stabbing her with a metal spike after he fails to pierce her armored hide. He is also able to trick Davis into thinking he died from his wounds, although it is revealed that George was actually playing dead.
- Weapon Proficiency: George is proficient in handling any type of object that he can use as tools or weapons against opponents, seen as he was able to knock down Lizzie with a construction crane and even used a metal spike he was impaled on as a spear to penetrate through one of her eyes.
- Regenerative Healing Factor: Due to being infected by the pathogen, George possesses an accelerated healing factor that enables him to regenerate, shown when he completely heals from slash wounds during a fight with a grizzly bear. During his battle with Lizzie, George is impaled on a piece of rebar, but recovers from that after he removes it.
- Wolf Physiology: Ralph has several physical attributes that surpasses that of most other wolves.
- Superhuman Strength: Due to being exposed to the pathogen, Ralph has tremendous strength which allow him to fight off the military easily and hold George down without too much difficulties.
- Superhuman Speed and Agility: Ralph is able to run much longer distances and can even run faster than regular wolves. He is also highly maneuverable as he is able to quickly run around opponents and scale buildings with ease.
- Superhuman Leaps: Ralph is able to use his powerful leg muscles to leap great heights and distances.
- Superhuman Durability: Due to being infected by the pathogen, Ralph possesses bulletproof skin that enables him to withstand attacks such as military gunfire and artillery. However, he is vulnerable to attacks by other monsters as he is easily killed when Lizzie ripped his head off with her jaws.
- Superhuman Dexterity: Due to being infected by the pathogen, Ralph possesses opposable thumbs on his front paws, allowing him to climb as well as grab objects and opponents firmly with ease.
- Quill Projectile: Due to being infected by the pathogen, Ralph possesses large quills on his back and tail that enables him to use as projectiles to shoot at targets or impale opponents, similar to that of a regular porcupine.
- Climbing: Thanks to his dexterity, Ralph is able to scale buildings such as the Willis Tower.
- Sharp Teeth and Claws: Like all wolves, Ralph has razor-sharp teeth which grant him a lethal bite. He also has razor-sharp claws that are capable of cutting through most materials.
- Stealth: Ralph was shown to be adept at stealth as he was capable of keeping himself hidden without anyone spotting him. This was shown when he witnessed Burke and his mercenary team in the forest without catching their attention.
- Gliding: Due to being infected by the pathogen, Ralph possesses retractable wing membranes located between his fore and hind limbs that enables him to glide and fly, similar to that of a regular flying squirrel.
- Crocodile Physiology: Lizzie has several physical attributes that surpasses that of most other crocodiles.
- Superhuman Strength: Due to her gigantic size upon being infected by the pathogen, Lizzie possesses gargantuan amounts of physical strength, making her the biggest and strongest of the other two monsters. She was able to easily lift and throw military vehicles, plow through the side of a building, tear off Ralph's head and beat George severely. Lizzie's massive jaws are so powerful that they are able to crush helicopters, but can also do more harm to others.
- Superhuman Durability: Due to being infected by the pathogen, Lizzie possesses an extremely thick, armored hide that enables her to withstand bullets, missiles and bombs and even attacks from George as well. When George tried to pierce Lizzie's skin with one of her own tusks after ripping it off, it didn't seem to cause any damage. Lizzie is also able to survive being incapacitated by Davis Okoye after he throws a belt full of grenades in between her gills and can even withstand a hail of missiles from a downed AH-64 Apache being fired directly into her face, which seemingly serves only to anger her. However, Lizzie is vulnerable to attacks by other monsters as she is easily killed when George drove a metal spike through one of her eyes, killing Lizzie instantly.
- Superhuman Speed and Agility: In the water, Lizzie can move amazingly fast as she was able to travel all the way to Chicago from the Florida Everglades. On land, Lizzie is agile enough to catch fighter jets in mid-flight. Despite her larger size, she might not be as fast and agile as Ralph and is slower than George.
- Sharp Teeth and Tusks: Like all crocodiles, Lizzie has countless razor-sharp teeth which grant her a massive bite as she is able to catch Ralph in her mouth before performing a death roll which tears his head off. Lizzie also possesses two large tusks on her upper jaw which themselves are sharp enough to pierce her own skin as shown after George rips one of them off and stabs Lizzie with it.
- Climbing: Despite her bulky body, Lizzie is capable of scaling through buildings such as the Willis Tower thanks to adhesive pads on her feet like a gecko.
- Tail Club: Due to being infected by the pathogen, Lizzie possesses spikes on the end of her tail which form a club and can be used as a formidable weapon in combat against opponents. This enables her to strike George and send him flying after he stopped Lizzie from crushing Davis with her tail.
- Neck Frills: Due to being infected by the pathogen, Lizzie possesses a pair of frills flanking her face which can open and expand when she is provoked or threatened.
- Amphibious Nature: Lizzie is adapted for movement both on land and underwater, although she is certainly more than capable of breathing on land. However, due to being infected by the pathogen, she possesses fish-like gills on the sides of her neck which enables her to stay and breathe underwater indefinitely.
- Master Swimmer: Like all crocodiles, Lizzie is an excellent swimmer since she has a natural affinity for water and inbuilt swimming skills, including the ability to hold her breath underwater for long periods of time.
Little is specifically known about the origins of Ralph and Lizzie, but George always showed a gentle and charismatic behavior in front of everyone in the sanctuary. After being infected, all three have shown fierce and aggressive behavior.
- In the original game, George, Ralph and Lizzie are humans who mutated into animals. However, in the film, they are animals mutated into gigantic creatures.
- George, Ralph and Lizzie are portrayed as the protagonist villains in the videogame; in the film, it is the first time that their roles are inverted to make them as the main antagonists (except George who is more of an anti-heroic protagonist).
- Though Claire Wyden was the main villain of the film, Ralph and Lizzie serve as the final antagonists after the former's death.
- Lizzie is the only one whose name is never mentioned in the film. However, her name does show up on the film's merchandise starting with her toy package.
- She is also the only monster whose species is written differently, as there were a lot of conception issues for her due to the rewritten storyline for the film. Instead of than being a monitor lizard or an iguana (both of which the developing stating that they aren't fearsome-looking) like in the games, she is a crocodile.
- Due to these factors, some Rampage fans often mistake her as Crock from Rampage: Total Destruction.
- Lizzie reuses roars from the Carnotaurus from Disney's Dinosaur and the Tyrannosaurus rex from Jurassic Park.
- George is the only mutant of the three animals who:
- Redeems himself.
- Does not die at the end of the film. He was originally supposed to, but Dwayne Johnson, who played as Davis Okoye in the film, changed that because the ending would be too heartbreaking.
- Has no changes to his physical appearance, besides his size.
- George is a brown gorilla in the video games. However, in the live-action film, he is an albino gorilla, which was done to avoid any similarities to King Kong.