This Article Contains Spoilers -
WARNING: This article contains major spoilers. If you do not wish to know vital information on plot / character elements in a story, you may not wish to read beyond this warning: We hold no responsibility for any negative effects these facts may have on your enjoyment of said media should you continue. That is all.
|“||That's the way you want it? Story's over. Welcome to the end.||„|
|~ Chuck at the end of season 14, before bringing the end of reality.|
God, also mostly known by his alias Chuck Shurley, is the main antagonist of the Supernatural television series.
He appears as a recurring character in seasons four to five, a cameo character in season ten, and a major character in season 11. He reappeared as one of the main antagonists (along with Alternate Michael) of the fourteenth season, and is the main antagonist of the fifteenth and final season.
He is portrayed by Rob Benedict.
God is the creator of the universe and everything in it, including archangels, angels, earth and other planets, the human race and many other creatures. Many years prior to the series' events, he left heaven out of shame of his creations and began living on earth under the identity of Chuck Shurley. Whilst never directly intervening in the many of the show's events, he did indirectly aid the Winchester brothers Dean and Sam during season 4-5 whilst they tried to avert the apocalypse. In season 11, Chuck revealed himself as God, and finally began aiding the brothers in trying to stop God's sister the Darkness from destroying the planet and the rest of reality. He returns in the season 14 finale in which he reveals his darker nature and his role as the main antagonist, and plans to bring about the end of the world and his story of the Winchesters due to them defying him. He takes on the role as the main antagonist of the fifteenth and final season of the show, as he puts a plan into motion to end the Winchesters once and for all.
God came into existence as conjoined twins with his sister The Darkness. Around this time, Death came into existence, although it is unclear if he preceded God or came after him. God eventually separated from the Darkness, causing the Big Bang. God began to create worlds, however the Darkness would destroy them. God created the archangels Michael, Lucifer, Raphael and Gabriel, and they waged a war in the Darkness and managed to lock her up. God bestowed a mark (which would later be known as the Mark of Cain) upon Lucifer, which allowed the Darkness to be imprisoned as long as a user bore it. But the mark had a corrupting influence on Lucifer and brought forward his darker side, and he rebelled against God and the angels, forcing God to banish him from Heaven.
God created the Leviathans, although they were too uncontrollable and destructive. Not wanting them to devour his other creations, God created purgatory and imprisoned them. Purgatory would later be used to imprison the souls of any monsters that have died, and would become the residence of Eve, the creator of the monsters.
On earth, Lucifer tempted the human Eve by getting her to eat the Forbidden Quince Fruit in the garden of Eden, and corrupted the first human soul Lilith and made her the first Demon. God punished Lucifer by crafting a cage in the deepest parts of Hell, and ordered Michael to imprison Lucifer there, which Michael complied with. Lucifer would be kept imprisoned for eons in the cage, with the only way to free him was to break seals which acted as locks on the cage.
Although God did intervene and sort out any problems his creations caused, he later stopped intervening and subsequently left Heaven out of disappointment. His disappearance caused the archangels and angels to weep for their absent father. Michael took control as the ruler of Heaven, and put into motion along with Raphael and higher ranking angels to start the apocalypse and fulfill a prophecy he believed his father put into place, which involved slaying Lucifer and bringing paradise upon earth.
It is implied that the main universe may not be the first universe that God has created, as Apocalypse Michael implied that God keeps creating universes as "drafts" until he makes the perfect one. However, God himself and Billie suggests that the main universe is the original and the alternate worlds are God's "other toys."
God manifested as a prophet named Chuck Shurley and began to write books based on the exploits of the Winchester brothers, Sam and Dean, all stretching back to the "Pilot" episode of the series. Sam and Dean discover the books whilst at a shop and are shocked that their lives have become documented. Whilst not big sellers, the Supernatural books have gained a cult following online and fan bases idolizing the adventures of Sam and Dean (but are unaware that the events are real).
They meet Chuck who is not convinced until they reveal their last names (something he never wrote) and the recent events. He vaguely hints at his true identity, by calling himself a "cruel capricious god" while listing the suffering they did. The Winchesters convince him otherwise.
When Lucifer rose from Hell, God apported Sam and Dean on a plane to get them away from Lucifer.
He acts as an ally to the Winchesters as his false identity as Chuck, even giving another ally in the form of obsessed fan Becky Rosen.
As God, he would resurrect Castiel who hints to Zachariah that God is still around, not gone as he thought after hearing that God was the one who put them on the plane and brought him back.
The Archangel Raphael hinted that God was dead, since he let chaos befall humanity and left Heaven.
It is revealed by the angel Joshua, that God is in fact still alive, since he gave him orders to save Sam and Dean from Zachariah by hinting that God will punish him for disobedience. Joshua revealed that God was in fact on Earth, though states he doesn't know where. Joshua is also stated to talk with God when the latter contacts him. Joshua confirmed God's acts (resurrecting Castiel and saving them) but states God will not help the Winchesters further by stating he doesn't the believed the Apocalypse is his problem. Sam and Dean were distraught with this, as Dean declares him to be another "deadbeat dad".
Dean later called Chuck for his help to defeat Lucifer and Michael. Chuck gives the location and wishes Dean luck on his endeavor.
After Michael and Lucifer fall into the cage, Chuck narrates on how Dean and Bobby separate for a while after the event. Chuck then smiles about how the story has been wrapped up, as he writes the final sentence. His work seemingly done, Chuck vanishes into thin air, hinting at his true identity. Beforehand, it is revealed as God that he once again resurrected Castiel but has restored his angel powers and promoted him to Seraphim.
He is mentioned when Raphael tells Castiel that he doubts God will bring him back again while savagely beating him down.
Castiel later prays to God for his thoughts on how his alliance and betrayal of his friends are for the greater good. God doesn't answer his prayer and Castiel is left distraught by his father's ignoring of his pleas.
After Castiel absorbs souls from purgatory to make him powerful, he takes on the role of God and begins to kill the sinful across earth. However he begins to slowly fall apart as he struggles to contain the souls, and Death reveals that he has absorbed monstrous creations of God known as the Leviathans, who God had originally imprisoned in purgatory due to them destroying other creations. After Castiel is killed, God resurrects him once again, but this time without his memories, most likely out of punishment for Castiel releasing the Leviathans and taking on God's role. He eventually does regain his memories after being missing for months.
Chuck is hinted to be dead by Castiel who states since Kevin is now a Prophet, the original prophet has to be dead because two prophets can't exist.
Chuck is shown to still be alive, as he watches a stage production which has adapted his Supernatural stories. He tells Marie that play wasn't bad.
He teleports Metatron to the bar where the latter simply thinks he is an author of a terrible book and insults his work. However, God reveals his knowledge of Metatron's actions and gives him sunglasses before he reveals his true form and identity as God. Surprised to see him, Metatron takes back everything he said and bows but God raises him up and tells him to call him Chuck.
They talk and when Metatron asks about the amulet that Dean and his supposed favorite Castiel had, God reveals the amulet and states he hid his presence by turning off the amulet's ability to find him. He also admits to liking front row seats and acting while pretending to be a human to fool those around as Metatron compliments his acting.
God reveals he brought Metatron to him because he wanted to help in writing his autobiography and the latter agrees after jokingly asking to be angel to which both agree not to ensure. They talk as they write and its revealed God left out of disappointment of his creations, he teleports himself and Metatron to a forest and talks.
God reveals his list of responsibilities such as locking away his sister only for her to be free by the Winchesters who he has helped many times like saving them and constantly resurrecting Castiel for them. Afterwards, he reveals he was writing the biography for himself as he brings them back to the bar. Metatron criticizes him by calling him a coward, this angers him and he flings Metatron out as the latter is excited. He states he was that excited after he was made into the scribe but God tells him it was because he was the nearest angel to the door and he was nothing special. God displayed all the disasters around the world, which further told his disappointment. Despite the tense talk, God and Metatron keep working and the latter reveals he was trying to get God's attention while trying to act like him. Metatron then pleads to his father by telling humanity never gives up despite their flaws and that makes them better than God or angels.
Finally realizing his error, God then plays on the guitar as he sings a song while dispersing Amara's fog which cures the infected, resurrecting all those who died, and returning Dean's amulet to him and Sam. Later on, God appears in the town helping people, as Sam and Dean follow the amulet, it leads them to him. With the amulet burning bright in his presence, it becomes clear to the shocked brothers that he is God and he approaches them while saying they need to talk.
As Dean voices distrust in him, God teleports them to the bunker and reveals the ghost of Kevin Tran who was still in the veil. To further prove his identity, he sends Kevin's soul to Heaven where it belonged, proving his claims to the Winchesters. Afterwards, Sam is amazed to finally meet God though nervous due to their previous meetings which causes him to ramble until Dean stops him. God (or preferably Chuck) notices Dean's bitterness to be around him as the latter explains why he felt the world was abandoned while God was gone. God explains his reasons and soon tells Dean not to confuse him with his father John as the latter can only look in silence. Afterwards, they go over a plan to find the Darkness and when they say they don't have a plan, God tells them he's always had faith in them. He then pokes fun at Dean's previous lack of faith.
When Dean and Sam investigate a case, God stays at the bunker and meets the newly appointed prophet Donatello Redfield who is shocked and amazed to meet him after God identifies him. God calms the latter's worry of his previous lack of belief in him by stating he was given free will to believe in what he chose.
After everyone gathers reinforcement and gather at a warehouse, God appears and greets Rowena and Crowley telling them he's happy to finally meet them in person. When Rowena apologizes for everything she did in her life, he tells her that he's been quietly rooting against them both for sometime now.
Dean prays to God and begs him to bring those back that he has lost, which includes Castiel and even his old enemy Crowley, however the prayers go unanswered.
After a parallel version of Michael arrives in the primary universe, he informs Castiel that after killing his version of Lucifer, God never showed up. Michael claims that the alternative universes are a product of God's failed drafts, and when things don't work out for him he just moves onto a new universe and starts all over again. Michael informs Castiel that he plans to destroy each of God's worlds until he finally catches up with him, and plans to kill him.
In "Moriah", God returns after hearing Castiel's prayer and makes his presence known to Castiel. God explains to Castiel on how he was needed for his help and the situation with Jack. He teleports them to Sam and Dean where they confront God on his return when they needed him most. God revealed his angry side by stopping them and teleporting them to the bunker. He explained what Jack has done to the world, by taking away their ability to lie. God undoes Jack's act and reveals he can't restore Jack's soul and opts they kill him instead with a powerful gun, capable of destroying anything. He reveals this goes for the user too, so they have one chance. Dean volunteers to use it while Sam and Castiel try to talk him out of it but are ignored. Later on, he admires an Archangel Blade when Sam approaches him and brings up what Alternate Michael said about how God was the creator of many parallel universes that acted as failed drafts to his stories. God doesn't confirm it but states he was particularly interested in the universe the Supernatural continuity takes place in, and remarked its Winchester brothers are his favorite. He displays a more sinister side, by telling Sam that Dean already left to confront Jack.
When Sam arrives to the cemetery that Dean is confronting Jack at, he sees God is already there and notices he is enjoying the scenario. Once Dean refuses to kill Jack, God makes his presence known by telling Dean to play his role and kill Jack. However, Dean refuses to carry it out even when God offers to resurrect Mary. Dean still refuses with him and Sam confronting him on the endless battles and conflicts going for the sake of the story. They state their unwillingness to let this endless cycle of death go on. Seeing the brothers firm refusal to kill Jack, God simply remarks "Have it your way" and kills Jack by smiting him with a snap of his fingers. God repels Dean's attempts to stop him, before Sam shoots at him with the gun he gave them but it doesn't kill him and leaves Sam wounded. Angered by their audacity, God tells them "Story's over, welcome to the end" before he disappears and unleashes the apocalypse on the world for the brothers' defiance against him.
In "Our Father Who Aren't In Heaven", God is at a casino and plays on a machine while surrounded by bodies of victims. He keeps one waitress alive to serve drinks. When Castiel tried to convince Michael of God's lies the latter doesn't partake and attacks him. However, Castiel showed the latter his memories of God's betrayals, such as God masquerading as Chuck, the Alternate Michael, the fight with the Darkness, and the murder of their nephew Jack. Michael was disillusioned at God's lies, especially the fact that there were other Michael's.
As of "The Trap", God has Eileen removed the bullet and after Sam refuses to trap him, does God fully recover. God then reveals the visions Sam had seen were really memories of the other Sam and Dean's in the Multiverse. With nothing holding him back, God teleports away.
During "Galaxy Brain", God has traveled to another universe after a talk with a Radio Shed employee about what he wants, he rants on about the multiverse. He decides to wipe the slate clean by destroying the other universes. Billie later reveals to the Winchesters of what God is doing and how he needs to be stopped. She reveals God has a book in her library and it is revealed Jack, Sam, and Dean are to be the messengers of God's destruction.
Powers and Abilities
- Nigh Omnipotence: As God, Chuck is incalculably powerful, only surpassed in power by his older sister Amara, who he was able to defeat with help from his Archangels. and being stronger slightly than Death, as he was able to force Death into his Coffin. Despite claims of the Shadow that God has no power over the Empty, he is the only beings capable of resurrecting supernatural beings from the Shadow's domain, suggesting God may be more powerful than it. He is far more powerful than even the Archangels, as Castiel noted that God is capable of killing Lucifer without needing to devastate the Earth and later on displayed his superior power by effortlessly rendering Lucifer powerless without him even noticing. Death noted that even with all the Souls in Purgatory inside Castiel, he is still not God and Metatron later on said the god-like powers he gained from being connected to the Angel Tablet was merely a poor attempt to imitate God. Among the most powerful displays of God's power was his ability to single-handedly massacre or trap even the most powerful beings in creation, as he confined the Leviathans in Purgatory and the Shedim in Hell and wiped out the Nephilim from the Earth. God was also shown to be easily capable of killing Jack at his former level with just a snap of his fingers and even with Jack getting stronger, he still had to hide from his grandfather as he could still easily kill him again. Even in a weakened state, God retains an enormous amount of power, being able to cause the second apocalypse and resurrect Lilith. With his full power restored, God was able to destroy the alternate universes he created without even being in the same area.
- Power Granting/Power Augmentation and Convertion: God has the ability to increase the power of angels and transform them into a higher angel, as he gave Castiel greater powers and the status of Seraphim after resurrecting him and also bestowed upon Metatron unique powers as his Scribe and was stated to be capable of restoring his angelic status and powers, which God confirmed he could but refused to do. God is even able to give himself new abilities, as he gave himself the ability to speak French and play guitar, and empower mundane objects with extreme power, turning them into Hands of God so strong even an archangel is vulnerable to them.
- Power Negation: God effortlessly negated Lucifer's powers without him even noticing, preventing him from obliterating Sam and Dean. Likewise, he was able to turn off an amulet that is supposed to turn bright in his presence.
- Supernatural Concealment: God is capable of hiding himself from any being he wishes. His concealment is so powerful that even Death and Amara cannot find him willingly. He was able to conceal his divinity while masquerading as Chuck from the angels, even those who had saw him.
- Sealing and imprisonment: God is highly skilled in the art of sealing to the point that his seals are considered incompressibly powerful, as not even the passage can destroy them, having the ability to block powerful entities in the local dimensions, preventing them from leaving. Thus, Chuck locked Lucifer in Hell, as did the Shedim. He locked the leviathans in purgatory and was able to develop the extremely powerful primordial entity capture spell, so that he attached his sister to a mystical seal, which he placed on the archangel Lucifer. In this context, she, with a strength comparable to Chuck, has not been able to escape captivity for billions of years. He was also known to have linked Death to his underground coffin for thousands of years. In fact, God was able to seal Darkness and Death in confinement prisons so strong that both were unable to break free without an external factor.
- Biokinesis: God is capable of manipulating to an incredible level the life forces and energies of others as well as physical bodies, as he was able to cure Sam of his demon blood addiction and cure an entire town of Rabid infestion without even being present. He was also able to mute Eileen by snapping his fingers.
- Healing: God's healing powers are capable of effortlessly healing even the most severe and corruptive of injuries and also resurrecting entire towns and even any Angels, as he healed Sam of his Demon Blood powers while not being in the same place, effortlessly healed Lucifer's extensive wounds from his torture at Amara's hands and healed Sam's wound from Eileen's torture with just a wave of his hand.
- Resurrection: God's resurrection powers is capable of bringing back supernatural beings, a feat that no other being but those with the power of Death can achieve. He resurrected Castiel repeatedly despite him being completely destroyed. Resurrecting humans appear to be of no trouble for God, as he brought back an entire city by just willing it. However, while capable of resurrecting Archangels, it would take time, hence he chose not to resurrect Raphael and Gabriel as they are the stuff of Primordial Creation. Even in his weakened state, God remains capable of resurrecting supernatural beings, as he resurrected Lilith, and has shown the ability to adapt similar properties to Death's own resurrection powers, unleashing zombies upon Earth.
- Teleportation/Apporting: God is able to teleport anywhere in a dazzling white light. Due to his extreme power, God is able to access even the most heavily secured places, as he was able to access the Bunker with ease and is capable of accessing even Lucifer's Cage, as he stated that he would have brought Michael to fight Amara had he not been in any condition to fight. He is even able to travel to other universes across the multiverse, as he accessed Earth-2 on his own, a feat that no one can do without a rift opening ritual. Likewise, God is able to teleport anyone he wants without even being present or needing to touch them, a feat that no one except Amara was able to do, as he teleported Sam and Dean away from Lucifer's presence into an airplane and later on snapped his fingers to teleport Sam and Dean again to the Bunker. God also effortlessly summoned the Impala from the Darkness to the Bunker, saving everyone inside, send Sam and Dean away while also flinging them to sofas with a wave of his hand, and even in his dying state, he only had to snap his fingers to apport Sam, Dean, Castiel, Rowena and Crowley to the Bunker and sent Dean to Amara. God was later able to apport Becky and her family to places unknown with just a wave of his hand.
- Soul Control: As the creator of souls, God is capable of controlling them with effortless ease, to the point of being able to control the destination of a deceased persons soul and allow humans who had fallen to Hell to enter Heaven as he was the one who admitted Sam and Dean into Heaven (as revealed by Joshua) after they were killed by Roy and Walt and allowed John and Bobby to enter Heaven after they escaped Hell. God can do the opposite and send righteous souls to Hell, as he was later able to summon the ghost of Kevin Tran to him without visible effort and with a wave of his hand, cast Kevin into Hell. Lore states that he can restore souls that are completely gone, but God claims this is untrue, although he may have been meaning that he cannot restore a Nephilim's soul as they are doubtlessly far more complicated than humans or he may have just been lying as he wanted Jack dead, as it was later revealed that the Garden of Eden could restore Jack's soul, meaning God can most likely do it as well.
- Reality Warping: With his nearly unlimited powers, God is capable of shaping and manipulating reality itself to his will to an extraordinary level. God was able to bestow upon Sam and Dean tremendous luck that allowed them to perform so well and take it away when they turned against him. With just a snap of his fingers, he was able to neutralize Jack's command over the world to not lie and even outright make the riot that occurred never happen. God was even able to open all the gates of hell, including Lucifer's Cage, and tear a rupture from Hell to Earth. God was also able to make himself win in a slot game every turn and could alter the tv shows of Radio shed of Earth-2 to show alternate realities. He could destroy multiple universes with little effort, though stated some of them were complex in destroying.
- Creation of Sentient Life/Objects/Realms: The greatest of God's powers is his profound ability to create things out of nothing, even able to create worlds and beings. He created Archangels, with whom he defeated the Darkness, Leviathans, Hellhounds, Deities, Angels, who would admit until Jack, only God could create more of them, Humans and the Soul itself, as well Heaven, Purgatory, Earth, and countless other Galaxies and the universe itself. Prior to the creation of the current universe, God created other worlds, but Amara destroyed them all. However, Metatron stated that while holding the power needed to create everything on his own, God could not have done it with a snap of his fingers, implying it required a considerable amount of power. God was also able to create the immensely powerful Equalizer gun capable of not only killing Jack, but even himself, with a shoulder shot alone able to weaken and wound him.
- Elemental Control: God is capable of manipulating the elements to an extraordinary degree, as he created massive weather and elemental phenomenas to wipe out worlds without even being in the same dimension and just having to see it to destroy them.
- Control over Electronic Devices: God was able to turn on tv in his bar to show what Amara is doing to Metatron.
- Shapeshifting: God is capable of taking any form he wishes, changing between his Chuck persona, his true luminous form, and a bright smoke form at will, and has proven able to seamlessly shapeshift into other beings in a manner similar to Asmodeus, taking on the appearance of a hunter to trick Eileen Leahy and then shifting back once Sam and Eileen had fallen into his trap.
- Smiting: With just a snap of his fingers, God smote Jack and later on even in his weakened state smote Amara's masseuse.
- Telepathy: God is able to read the minds and thoughts of others even without being in the same presence, as he wrote each and every thought Sam and Dean had in their adventures to write them and could identify Sam was so defiant because he believed he, Dean and Castiel would succeed in trapping him. God is also shown to be able to control other beings, as he easily mind-controlled Eileen into torturing Sam, cleaning herself, and later on fighting Dean and even while locked in a mark, was able to influence Castiel into going mad.
- Chronokinesis: God has shown considerably advanced chronokinetic powers that easily exceeds that of any angels, as he was able to travel to the alternate future that Zachariah sent Dean too. He created a magical pocket watch that allowed Sam to travel through time to see his future and was able to travel to the same time as well to communicate with him.
- Nigh-Omniscience: Existing for eons, God possesses great wisdom and understanding about the universe he made and is capable of tremendous universal awareness that vastly exceeds the Archangels. Metatron said that God sees and hears everything that happens on Earth. Without being even close, he was able to sense and write everything that Sam and Dean experienced. He even knows what people are thinking, proven by the fact that he wrote in one of the books that Sam thought Dean was a dick when they were doing clothes at the laundry mat, and Sam admitted this.
- Locilization: God was also able to easily locate Jack whereas even Lucifer and all of Hell's resources could not and Jack noted despite being able to stay hidden after his resurrection, using his powers will immediately alert God to his resurrection.
- Precognition: God's omniscience allows him to predict the future with tremendous clarity unrivaled, beyond the archangels, as he was able to foretell everything Sam and Dean experienced and write them all and even knew Lucifer possessing Sam would lead to his downfall and Michael's, whereas neither archangels foresaw that. God was also able to foresee what would become of the world if he were to be locked away.
Banishing, Harming, Misleading, and Trapping
- Magic: In his weakened state, God can be locked in with the same spell he used to arrest the Darkness and he openly admits that it would work on him in his weakened state, which is further demonstrated by how, in the alternative future, God showed Sam , Sam, Dean and Cass successfully locked it with Castiel carrying the Mark. However, since God was in full power, he was able to harmlessly destroy the spell.
- The Equalizer: The Equalizer can harm God with multidimensional energy. A shot in the shoulder severely weakened God and left him in a diminished state, and it wasn't until he made his sniper, Sam, lose any hope that he was able to heal return to full power.
- The Darkness/Mandatory Existence: Because God is the opposite of his opposite polar sister, Amara. If darkness ceased to exist, then God would also follow not far behind. Everything that God has already created, such as objects, places and beings, all of them will also cease to exist with their creator.
- Jack: God prioritized the death of Jack because it was only a matter time before the latter gets stronger be a threat to him. God also did not hesitate to admit this fear to Sam about his potential. When resurrected Jack stated that God fears him, Jack also reveals that Billie had told him that if he gets stronger Jack could even kill God. This was later confirmed because Billie stated in God's book about his death Jack will ultimately be the one to kill him.
- Hellhound- It was mentioned that he was responsible for wiping out all but one of the hell hounds.
- Multiple Nephilim- It was mentioned that God has been responsible for the deaths of multiple Nephilim
- Jack - Smited to prevent him from becoming a threat later resurrected by Billie.
- Unnamed Masseuse - Killed when God wanted to speak with his sister Amara.
- Multiple people at a casino
- Undisclosed number of beings across multiple universes
- When Chuck appeared during seasons 4 and 5, it was often speculated that he was God although it was not confirmed. In the season 5 finale, he was seen disappearing into thin air, causing further speculation that he was God. Upon his return in season 11, it was finally confirmed that he was God.
- With his darker side shown at the end of season 14, this makes God the main antagonist of the entire Supernatural franchise.
- Chuck/God fills in a meta role representing the producers and writers of the Supernatural series, with his continuing torment of the brothers being kept up for many years for his own entertainment being similar to how the writers of the show have continued the series going for the benefit of the viewing audience. It is also fitting that God is planning the endgame of the Winchester brothers during season 15, seeing as it has been confirmed as the final season. Chuck may have been an author avatar for the original show creator Eric Kripke.
- Since revealing himself as the villain, God has gone onto clock up the highest number of deaths, outranking every other villain. This comes into full effect midway through season 15 when he begins destroying all his other universes he has created, resulting in the destructions of billions upon trillions of lives.