|This article's content is marked as Mature|
The page Mature contains mature content that may include coarse language, sexual references, and/or graphic violent images which may be disturbing to some. Mature pages are recommended for those who are 18 years of age and older.
If you are 18 years or older or are comfortable with graphic material, you are free to view this page. Otherwise, you should close this page and view another page.
|“||And Ion held six fingers aloft and upon their spears did the soldiers impale themselves. "For you!" they cried before the blood drowned their tongues. And Ion said, "Now do you see?" And Nadox wept, as more did skewer themselves in Ion's name, for he had seen and now knew the truth of his words.||„|
Grand Karcist Ion, also known as the Sorcerer-King of Adytum, is a recurring figure in the SCP Foundation universe. He is considered one of the most powerful beings in the setting, being able to vanquish an elder god.
He is the founder and messiah of the religion of Sarkicism, whose followers aim to bring Ion back to the world in order to bring their version of apotheosis to all of humanity. He is also the archenemy of Robert Bumaro.
Ion's beginnings were humble, he was possibly conceived by a Daeva Matriarch and a concubine father, but because he was born a male half-blood he became a lowly slave under the rule of the oppressive Daeva civilization in circa 1800 BCE. After Ion discovered the body of the primordial being Yaldabaoth, Ion took his flesh and was given power over flesh and disease, which he used to garner a rapidly growing following and eventually overthrow the Daeva that had enslaved his people for so long. He and his followers created their own kingdom, with the city of Adytum as its capital.
As Ion and his new empire continued to rapidly expand their territory, they were halted by a coalition of ancient civilization including the Egyptians, the Assyrians, the Minoans and the Mekhanites. Fearful of the terrible powers Ion and his followers utilized, the alliance fought a brutal and destructive war against Ion which eventually ended after millions of casualties when Robert Bumaro banished Adytum and Ion from this mortal plane. His broken followers fled to avoid persecution.
In 1952, the Adytum's Wake sect lead by Cornelius P. Bodfel III attempted to summon Ion, but the ritual was interrupted by the Global Occult Coalition. Exactly what happened next is unknown, but what is known is that all present died, many from self-inflicted gunshot wounds, and the surrounding area was destroyed, forming the anomaly known as SCP-2480, a gateway for eldritch abominations to enter. Over the next few years, a Sarkite army began to form around SCP-2480, until a joint operation by the Foundation and the GOC successfully neutralised the threat.
Powers and Abilities
Having been granted an immense power by Yaldabaoth, Ion had complete control over flesh in all its forms. His powers were akin to that of a reality-bending demi-god and he was functionally immortal. For example, he was able to transform his arm into a massive wolf's maw to tear through steel. He was able to force others to move against their will or simply cause their bodies to burst. Similarly. he was able to grossly alter the physical layout of humans to grant them enhanced powers, like immense muscle size or organic growths that could be moulded into specialized weapons. Ion was also able to give a modicum of his powers to his followers, granting them the ability to similarly manipulate flesh.
Drawn to his immense powers and charismatic orations, Ion garnered a massive following which continues to exist to this day. These followers adhere to a religion known as Sarkicism, which is derived from the Greek word for "flesh". Sarkicism follows the tenets of Ion, and its adherents practice, among other things, ritual cannibalism, human sacrifice, thaumaturgy and organic augmentation. Some of the more powerful Sarkites have moved passed what can be considered human and are functionally immortal. The structure of Sarkicism is highly hierarchic. The three most powerful and influential positions are:
- Ozirmok: The Grand Karcist. A position reserved solely for Ion.
- Klavigar: The four most powerful followers of Ion during his age of ascendancy, they are considered saints to current day Sarkites. They are named Nadox, Lovataar, Orok & Saarn.
- Karcists: The spiritual and secular leaders of Sarkicism. They are biologically immortal and have widely varying forms.
Bumaro & Ion Anthology
Ion appears in the manga book Bumora & Ion Anthology by HaMuKuNi. It features various artwork depicting Ion, and a short story showing Bumaro's transformation and confrontation with Ion.
- According to the story's author, Ion is the creator of SCP-610 and used it to create slaves who served him and his followers. This was what prompted the Mekhanites to side with other civilizations against him.
- SCP-2191-3, a massive organism living underneath the Balkan Peninsula, was Ion's favored concubine. According to Sarkic cultist Draga Negrescu, she was once the princess of the "Blood Empress", and was claimed by Karcist Ion, as "was his right". It is implied that at the beginning she resisted him, but over time she came to worship Ion and wanted to bear his children and was impregnated by him.
- According to Simon Oswalt, a Sarkite traitor to the Foundation, Ion is one of Yaldabaoth's Archons; beings of pure chaos designed to uphold his will.
- During an interview with Dr. Clef, Ion showed dislike in referring to his religion as Sarkisism, since it originated as a slang by the Mekhanites, opting to instead use the religion's actual name Nälkä (in Finnish means "hunger"). He was also somewhat irritated by Clef's unusual and disrespectful behaviour.
- In SCP-5555, it is revealed that the Administrator of the Foundation, and other leaders of the other GOIs, such as "Ion" himself, are actually powerful immortal beings who use the SCP universe and its inhabitants as just a playboard game with roleplaying for their own entertainment, with the identity of Grand Karcist Ion being nothing more than just a role which one of these entities takes, and after one of them wins, the game starts over and the universe resets, with the roles changing.
- In the tale "Day of the Dragon" a reversed version of Ion exists in which he is the leader of the Church of the Broken God.
- It appears that Ion was somewhat based on Moses from the bible, a man born from slaves to the Egyptians, was then blessed by God and freed his fellow slaves from the Egyptian tyranny.
- Grand Karcist Ion also resembles Osmund Saddler from Resident Evil 4.
- In the "Unfounded" canon, after the SCP Foundation used SCP-6871 to remove D.C. al Fine of the GOC from history, this allowed Ion and his Klavigar to initiate a worldwide rebellion. This prompted the Foundation to use SCP-6871 on Ion, removing him from history, but this resulted in human society at the time to not progress past the bronze age, while the Church of the Broken God and the O5 Council also ceased to exist. Because of the damage caused by the reckless abuse of the anomaly, the Administrator decided to use SCP-6871 on themselves in order to undo everything they did, while the Foundation ceased to exist.
Canon SCP Beings
SCPs In Video Games