|“||Odin help us...||„|
|~ Stoick upon seeing the Red Death.|
The Green Death, or as it is known in film, the Red Death, is the main antagonist of the book How to Train Your Dragon, and DreamWorks' 19th full-length animated feature film of the book adaptation. She is the tyrannical, misanthropic and ravenous queen of the dragon race, who urges to usurp the world and enslave the humans and dragons into bestowing every edibility to her. She was eventually defeated when Toothless showed Stoick the way to her lair.
Her vocal sound effects were provided by Frank Welker.
In the first book, the Green Death arrives on Long Beach with a smaller Seadragonus Giganticus Maximus (which she eats later on). Hiccup is sent to meet with she and asks if she comes in peace or war as she is the only one who can speak Dragonese.
When Hiccup says his name the dragon shivers subconsciously she seems however that Hiccup did not notice it nor did the Green Death itself. The dragon says he comes in peace but that he's still going to eat them all regardless. The Green Death and Hiccup discuss Singing Suppers, but during the conversation the Green Death moves in to eat Hiccup.
Just as this happens the Green Death yawns, and decides he is too tired to eat Hiccup right now, stating that he should come back in a few hours to be eaten. Hiccup then leaves and tells the tribe that the Green Death, while coming in peace, will still eat them. With the help of the other Hooligan and Meathead boys and their dragons, Hiccup creates a plan to kill the Green Death with the help of a second Seadragonus Giganticus Maximus, the Purple Death, which they trick into helping them.
In the following battle, the Purple Death is killed. However, the Green Death is fatally wounded. In anger, the Green Death swallows Hiccup whole. Fortunately, Hiccup avoids being digested by grabbing and holding on to a Roman spear stuck in the dragon's throat. While inside the Green Death, Hiccup discovers the fire holes (a dragon's source of fire) and blocks them with his helmet. Due to this, the Green Death blows up when she tries to burn Stoick, Hiccup, and Toothless. Her death makes Hiccup a hero in the eyes of his tribe.
In "How to Steal a Dragon's Sword", the Green Death was known as Merciless, the leader of the Dragon Rebellion in Hiccup Horrendous Haddock the First's time. Merciless saw in the future that he was to be killed by a human named Hiccup. He sent Wodensfang to kill Hiccup, but was instead betrayed by Wodensfang when Wodensfang discovers the good in Hiccup's heart. With the Dragon Jewel, Hiccup ordered Merciless to disband the Rebellion and become a loner.
The Red Death first appears when Hiccup, Toothless, and Astrid discover the Dragon's nest, feasting off what her servants feed her. After a Gronckle drops a tiny piece of fish to the Red Death, she emerges and devours the dragon. However, the Red Death spots Hiccup and his friends when she sees that Toothless has contributed nothing and has humans on his back, but they manage to escape.
The Red Death appears again when Stoick and his vikings attack the Dragon's nest. She attacks the vikings and destroys their ships in the process. Fortunately, Hiccup and his friends arrive and while Hiccup's friends distract the Red Death, he and Stoick save Toothless from drowning as he was caged on one of the sinking ships. Hiccup and Toothless then drive the Red Death into the clouds and conceals Toothless' form. Toothless fires several plasma blasts at the Red Death's wings but they don't have an effect on the monster dragon. Enraged, the Red Death shoots fire in all directions around herself and manages to inflame Toothless's tail. Using as much time as they had left, Hiccup and Toothless lead the Red Death out of the clouds and allowed her to chase them until she attempted to deliver a fatal blow at them. However, Toothless fired a plasma blast down her throat, lighting her insides ablaze. The dragon's wings are ripped apart, causing her to fall to the ground and resulting an explosion, killing the Red Death for good.
The Red Death primarily uses her enlarged nostrils and hearing in order to hunt down her prey. Her skull is heavily armored and she has a tail specifically designed to smash into objects. She has been shown to have an incredible speed in flight despite her size, being able to keep up with Toothless for long amounts of time. The dragon also does not have a blind spot, due to her having six eyes instead of two. The Red Death's flame jets are enormous and are powerful enough to take down an entire Viking fleet of ships in just one breath. Like other dragons, however, the Red Death cannot hunt efficiently if her wings are damaged and she is just as susceptible to fire on her insides.
Film Developer Description
"This ultimate monster, seen pursuing Toothless and Hiccup, is the most vicious. According to legend, she lives 2,000 years and, before she dies, lays 3,000 eggs. The hatchlings fight each other to the death, a process that can take up to 100 years, until only one survives. "All dragons have a blind spot," Sanders says. "Except this one. That is one reason we gave him six eyes instead of two. The other reason is that we wanted him to be just generally upsetting. This one is our Godzilla.""
- The Green Death has the distinction of being the only main antagonist from the How to Train Your Dragon trilogy to be a dragon and female. Drago Bludvist and Grimmel the Grisly, her successors, were both human and males.
- Coincidentally, she is also the only How to Train Your Dragon main antagonist to not be Pure Evil, a perfect representation that humans are the true monsters.
- The Green Death is the first Dragon in the series to actually be evil. The second is the Muddy Bewilderbeast and third being the Deathgrippers. However, unlike the Muddy Bewilderbeast who redeemed himself after his master Drago Bludvist's defeat, the Green Death never redeemed herself, and in the Deathgrippers case, Grimmel drugged them with their own venom (though, it's likely that they were already dangerous before Grimmel brainwashed them).
- The Green Death is dragon and Grimmel the Grisly is human, and they both have mutual malevolence in each race. While the Green Death was misanthropic from the start and wanted to eradicate humanity and occupy the world with her dragons, Grimmel wanted eradicate the opposite race and become recognized for centuries as a hero. Both races were strangers from start before becoming enemies. Dragons were skeptical with their queen's misanthropy, but accepted it when humans were violent towards them, especially when Grimmel murdered the Night Fury in the forest he discovered it, and started his killing spree, beginning the dragon warfare. If it weren't for Hiccup from the start, the world could've ended up in destruction, tyranny, or dragon extinction.
- Despite being the main antagonist, the Green Death only had around from 2 to 3 minutes of screen-time.