This Article Contains Spoilers -
WARNING: This article contains major spoilers. If you do not wish to know vital information on plot / character elements in a story, you may not wish to read beyond this warning: We hold no responsibility for any negative effects these facts may have on your enjoyment of said media should you continue. That is all.
|“||To WOUND me, one needs to be able to touch me, child. Tell me, Trollhunter, what should a father do to the one who MURDERED his only son?!||„|
|~ Gunmar to Jim about the latter killing Bular and attempts to kill him out of vengeance.|
|“||The quest ends triumphant! See here, the instrument of our ascension: the Staff of Avalon. Merlin's tool holds the key to our long-awaited victory. Soon, the Eternal Night will fall, and with it, THE WORLD!||„|
|~ Gunmar's speech to the Gumm-Gumms after gaining the Staff of Avalon.|
|“||No…It cannot be! It can't!||„|
|~ Gunmar's last words as he turns to stone after being slash through his body by the sword before Jim shoves his body off the roof where he shatters to pieces.|
Lord Gunmar the Black is the overall secondary antagonist of the Tales of Arcadia franchise.
He is the ruthless leader, later second-in-command (reduced by Morgana), of the Gumm-Gumms, an evil troll race who were sealed away along with him into the Darklands by Deya the Deliverer, and is Bular's father as well as the arch-nemesis of Jim Lake Jr.
He was voiced by Clancy Brown, who also played Mr. Krabs in the SpongeBob SquarePants franchise, Lex Luthor in the DC Animated Universe, Rahzar in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turles and Surtur in the 2017 Marvel film Thor: Ragnarok.
- 1 Roles
- 2 Physical Appearance
- 3 Personality
- 4 Powers and Abilities
- 5 Appearances
- 6 Quotes
- 7 Trivia
- 8 External links
- 9 Navigation
He first appeared as the central antagonist of the first installment, Trollhunters (specifically the overarching antagonist of Part 1, the main antagonist of Part 2, and the secondary antagonist of Part 3), a background, later posthumous antagonist of the second installment 3Below, and a major antagonist in the third installment Wizards.
He is also the main antagonist of the Trollhunters novel series, and appears in the Dark Horse graphic novel The Secret History of Trollkind and is mentioned in The Felled, and is also mentioned in the 3Below novel Arcadia-Con. He is a boss in the video game Trollhunters: Defenders of Arcadia.
Gunmar was a large troll with horns that curve to the top, dark gray skin, and yellow teeth, and wears a brown belt. He also has blue markings all over his body, and a single blue eye which can sometimes glow, which is because he lost his other eye during his battle against Orlagk the Oppressor. His markings and eye become a golden orange when he absorbs the Heartstone of Trollmarket.
Gunmar is a ruthless troll whom seeks to rule the world, and the second biggest threat all trolls have ever faced, being dwarfed by the evil witch Morgana.
He has no control over his anger and kills his minions for their failure. For example, when one of his Gumm-Gumms begged for mercy, he brainwashed him into committing suicide by being devoured by a Nyalagroth. After one of his Gumm-Gumms fails to attack a semi-truck, Gunmar murders him without mercy. Gunmar also comes off as sadistic, as he tortured Nomura for entertainment, and even forced her in a fight with the current Trollhunter, Jim Lake Jr., to make him break his will, which didn't work out too well because his friends arrived to save him and Nomura from the Darklands. He is also ungrateful because in spite of the Janus Order conspiring to free him from the Darklands, he slaughtered them all without a second thought.
Ultimately, he comes off as a heartless boss to his minions, as he wasn't too concerned when Morgana wiped out dozens of them to use their ashes to create the Eternal Night. He also doesn't fight fair, as he decided to team up with Angor Rot to kill the current Trollhunter, Jim Lake Jr., in his troll form, but accuses Angor of being weak when the latter remembers the hero he once was.
Despite having no care for his minions, Gunmar doesn't understand that his actions are bad as he was born from the first Heartstone that was corrupted by Morgana when she ignited the War for the Surface Lands. He also still has compassion as he wanted to kill Jim more than ever due to killing his son, Bular, though he had to admit that his son was impulsive. This is shown by the long list of Jim's loved ones, friends, and teachers he threatened to kill, all because he caused the inevitable death of Bular.
Powers and Abilities
Despite being less powerful than Morgana (and General Morando with Gaylen's Core), Gunmar still proved to be a dangerous threat to the heroes. He was one of the most powerful and feared trolls there were, as he was very formidable in battle.
- Mind-Control: Using his Decimaar Blade, Gunmar could brainwash those around him to do his bidding, such as when he brainwashed one of the Gumm-Gumms into killing himself. He could even speak through those he brainwashed with the Blade, such as Otto Scaarbach and Draal.
- Enhanced Strength: Gunmar was very strong, as even when he was banished to the Darklands with his armies, he was able to fight AAARRRGGHH!!! for a short period of time until he lost. He became far stronger when he absorbed the Heartstone.
- Enhanced Durability: Gunmar was able to live for thousands of years without being killed in battle.
- Enhanced Stamina: Gunmar could fight for long periods of time without growing weary. However, this changed after he was banished into the Darklands, but thanks to him absorbing the Heartstone, he regained his stamina.
- Energy Absorption: Gunmar could absorb energy from a Heartstone to make himself much stronger than before.
- Swordsmanship: Gunmar was skilled at using his Decimaar Blade to kill and/or brainwash opponents that get in his way.
- Tactician: Even when he was banished into the Darklands, Gunmar never gave up his genocidal attempts on mankind. He had many followers who worked for him on the outside so he could finally be released. Queen Usurna is one of the most notable examples of this, as she infiltrated Trollmarket and showed Gunmar the Heartstone so he could absorb it.
|Appearances in the Franchise|
- Although Morgana was the main antagonist of Trollhunters, Gunmar made more episodes appearances and did just about all of the work, making him the central antagonist.
- Gunmar is easily the second most evil villain in the Tales of Arcadia franchise so far behind Queen Usurna and General Morando because despite his heinous acts, he genuinely loves Bular.
- Gunmar's defeat and death resembles that of the Storm King as they both turned to stone and shattered to pieces to death.
- Gunmar's horns make him bear a resemblance to Surtur, another villain Brown voiced.
- In Part 1 of Trollhunters, Gunmar's son, Bular, appears in the show's theme song, but in Parts 2 and 3, Gunmar takes Bular's place in the majority of the theme song. This is presumably because Gunmar is a more prominent character in Parts 2 and 3 whereas in Part 1, he is a background character.