|This article's content is marked as Mature|
The page Mature contains mature content that may include coarse language, sexual references, and/or graphic violent images which may be disturbing to some. Mature pages are recommended for those who are 18 years of age and older.
If you are 18 years or older or are comfortable with graphic material, you are free to view this page. Otherwise, you should close this page and view another page.
Hantengu is a major antagonist in Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba manga and anime, being a member of Twelve Demon Moons and the (former) Upper Moon Four. He is the main antagonist of the Swordsmith Villiage Arc. Much like the Swamp Demon, Hantengu can create copies of his physical body to throw off those who confront him, mirroring his deceptive nature.
Hantengu was once a human thief and murderer who pretended to be innocent through his elderly appearance and frail look, constantly blaming others for his crimes.
While having several other personalities and emotions shown through his clones, Hantengu himself is no doubt nothing but an embodiment of fear and cowardice themselves. Even during his time as a human, Hantengu kept using his age and condition as an excuse, trying to weasel away from his crimes and blaming anyone, or anything - like his very own hand.
After turning into a demon/oni, Hantengu remained his human traits. While being an obviously cruel and horrendous demon who killed hundreds of lives, Hangtengu established that he is still a deluded person, who kept blaming others and trying to pretend, or even to believe it himself, that he is fully innocent.
As a human Hantengu was known to have committed many wicked crimes. He stole from numerous innocent people and murdered them in various towns and cities, he will deceive people to claiming that he was innocent. He would say that he didn't commit the crimes: his "Hands" were solely to blame for his actions, thus hinting that he was also mentally unstable and delusional due to his claims.
Eventually, he was captured by a high-ranked law official magistrate and sentenced to death by decapitation, despite his outrageous claims of innocence that were then silenced by threatening to cut off his "sinful" hands instead. While imprisoned and awaiting his execution, he was approached by Muzan Kibutsuji who offered to "help" him after taking pity on his situation. Muzan proceeded to give him some of his blood, transforming him into a Demon. After his transformation, he escaped his prison and silenced the magistrate who condemned him to death. With his dying breath, the magistrate told him that killing him didn't matter because eventually his past sins and actions will lead to his future fate.
Entertainment District Arc
Having been summoned to the Upper Ranks meeting, Hantengu corrected his colleague, Gyokko, over the amount of years since they had last met: one hundred and thirteen, a number which unnerved Hantengu. As Akaza struck Doma, destroying the latter's jaw, Hantengu yelped in fear and later bowed timidly as Muzan Kibutsuji arrived. He listened as his leader revealed the death of Gyutaro and berated everyone present for their uselessness, causing the Upper Rank to beg for forgiveness. Hantengu then quickly acknowledged Muzan's order for him and Gyokko to head over to an unknown location once the latter confirmed his newfound lead.
Later, Akaza viciously destroyed the upper portion of Doma's head, only to get his hand lopped off by Kokushibo, causing Hantengu to cower in fear and apprehension, even letting out a sharp yelp. Afterwards, he and Gyokko were then transported to their destination by the Biwa Demon.
Swordsmith Village Arc
At the swordsmiths' village, Hantengu crawled on the roof of a building, eager to fulfill their mission to avoid Muzan's wrath. He encountered Tanjiro and Muichiro Tokito shortly thereafter, swiftly avoiding an attack from the latter. He dodged a follow-up attack from Tanjiro, only to be kicked by Nezuko. His head was then severed by another attack from Muichiro, causing him to regenerate into two different Demons: Sekido and Karaku. As Muichiro and Tanjiro attempted to attack these newcomers, Karaku blew Muichiro far into the distance with a single wave of his uchiwa fan. The two then confronted Tanjiro and Nezuko, briefly exchanging biting comments at each other, with Sekido then attacking Tanjiro with a burst of electricity from his khakkhara staff. The two failed to notice Genya approaching them from behind with a gun.
Genya's shot was true, decapitating Sekido but failing to completely do the same to Karaku, much to the latter's amusement. The young Demon Slayer finished the job with his sword, but the two then turned into four. One of the new Demons, reminiscent of a tengu, grabbed Tanjiro by the leg and flew off with him, while the other impaled Genya with a Jūmonji yari. The former congratulated Tanjiro on figuring out their strategy, while the latter commented on Genya's weakness. Tanjiro urged Nezuko to help Genya, prompting his abductor to reprimand him for this, before firing a concussive blast of sound at the Demon Slayer. The tengu-like version of Hantengu was surprised to find that his opponent had hacked off the leg holding him, a head then growing from the severed limb to fire the sound blast at a shocked Tanjiro.
The disembodied head of the tengu-like Hantengu was swiftly cut in two by Tanjiro, swiftly turning into two mouths that fired their sound blasts at him once more. However, their attack power had been lessened due to so many divisions, leading Tanjiro to cut them once more. The main body of the tengu-Hantengu appeared behind the young Demon Slayer, firing another sound blast, which was dodged, but followed up by a vicious claw attack to Tanjiro's chest. The tengu-Hantengu boasted about the sharpness of his claws, promising to carve up the young Demon Slayer, only to discover the youth had sliced his face in two. As Tanjiro prepared a follow-up attack, tengu-Hantengu attempted to fire the sound blast once more, only to have his jaw cut off, the final blow incoming. Elsewhere, Karaku held back a transformed Nezuko, taunting her while Sekido told him to finish her off. The yari-wielding Hantengu, Aizetsu, offered to finish her off, only to discover he couldn't pull his weapon out of Genya, who promptly shot Aizetsu's head into bits.
Sekido reprimanded Aizetsu for this, the yari-wielding Hantengu then pulled his weapon out and slashed Genya across the chest. Regenerating his head, Aizetsu reprimanded his opponent for not dying immediately, and then noticed that Genya had begun to pray. Sekido commanded Aizetsu to crush the scarred Demon Slayer's head, which resulted in the yari being swung at Genya's head. The weapon hit nothing but the floor, the Upper Rank's opponent appearing behind him, swinging his sword at Aizetsu's head. This ambush was foiled by a burst of electricity from Sekido, who was shot at by their highly resilient opponent, much to his frustration. Aizetsu then swung his yari, smashing Genya into a wall. Karaku commented that his allies were having fun, and told Nezuko that he was done with her, driving a foot through her chest.
Karaku then told Sekido to stab and electrocute her until she didn't move anymore, ripping off one of Nezuko's hands off after his speech. She responded with a sudden counterattack, nearly decapitating Karaku and splashing him with her blood. Igniting it with her Demon abilities, she then torn the hand that held his uchiwa fan and the leg in her chest off. As Sekido demanded to know what Karaku was doing, Nezuko waved the torn arm and fan towards the latter, blowing him into the distance. She attempted to do the same to Sekido, who foiled her attempt by stabbing her in the neck with the blunt end of his staff and electrocuting her. Elsewhere, the tengu-Hantengu continued to battle Tanjiro, managing to land a blow while avoiding one from his opponent, and circled around for another attempt. Aizetsu continued to confront Genya, who once again was praying, confused as to how he was still alive and wondering what he was. The Demon Slayer introduced himself, the name of the man who would kill Aizetsu in his place.
As the tengu-Hantengu swooped in for his next attack, he is stabbed through the mouth by Tanjiro, causing the two of them to crash into the building Nezuko and Genya are fighting in. Sekido, still in the process of electrocuting Nezuko, demanded to know what Karaku and Urogi, the tengu-Hantengu, were doing, and manifested a khakkhara staff from his palm. He thrust the weapon at Tanjiro, who blocked it with Urogi's foot. Sekido praised Tanjiro's instincts, as his electricity cannot be transferred through his own cells, and has his tongue cut in half. As his Demon Slayer opponent freed Nezuko from his other khakkhara, Sekido attacked the young man from behind, pinning him to the ground. His attack was stopped from doing any further damage by Nezuko, who lit Sekido on fire with her blood technique. Just then, Karaku reappeared, using his fan to demolish part of the building his foes were fighting in, incapacitating both of them. He, Sekido, and Urogi then prepared to finish the pair.
However, their would-be victims recovered quickly, but were knocked down again by an electricity blast from Sekido. Urogi swooped in to attack them, but his attempt was dodged. As the two ran away, Sekido reprimanded Karaku for his slowness, telling him to level the whole building, which the fan Demon quickly accomplished. He then noted that the two no longer had any place to hide. Seeing Tanjiro with a burning blade, Urogi was unfazed and charged in to attack the swordsman as Sekido and Karaku watched. However, Sekido realized that the youth's blade was just like the swordsman's from Muzan's memories, so much so that their very visages seemed to be overlapping. Tanjiro then unleashed Hinokami Kagura: Dragon Sun Halo Head Dance, inflicting grievous injuries to each of the three emotion Demons. A short distance away, Genya had managed to heavily injure Aizetsu, pinning him to a tree with his own yari and ripping his head off.
Each of the Demons hit by Tanjiro's attack reacted differently: Urogi simply screaming in pain, Karaku panicking over his apparent lack of regeneration, and Sekido berating the latter, stating they were still regenerating, but at a much slower pace. Sekido was the first to recover, firing his electricity blast at Tanjiro, Nezuko, and Genya, who were in the process of finding Hantengu's fifth body. Elsewhere, this fifth entity cowered, confident that the other emotion Demons would beat all the "bad guys". Tanjiro directed Genya towards the location of the fifth Hantengu, with Nezuko and himself providing cover for their scarred ally, with an immediate attack launched by Karaku, forcing the youth to grip a nearby tree while Sekido prepared to attack once more. He was attacked by Nezuko, who was immediately pierced by a recovered Aizetsu, who Sekido also attempted to attack, only to have his khakkhara hand severed by Tanjiro.
Sekido realized that the youth was improving in ability as the battle progressed, just as he had been told and had observed thus far, noting he experienced explosive growth in critical situations. Urogi's right wing was subsequently severed by Tanjiro, and Aizetsu was grabbed by Nezuko's using both her hands and feet and lit on fire. Seeing this, Sekido desperately looked to see what Karaku was up to. Urogi used his uchiwa fan to crush Tanjiro into the ground, turning to attack one of the others, only for his fan arm and fan to be split in two by the youth's fiery counterattack. Furious, he stomped on the youth, who continued to give Genya directions on how to find the Upper Rank's fifth body. The two were ultimately successful, the fifth Hantengu cowering at the sight of Genya. The scarred youth shot at the tiny emotion Demon, to no effect, but the miniature Hantengu ran from him regardless. He was pursued by Genya, who swung his blade at the Fear Demon's neck, only for it to break. Another gunshot yielded a similar result, with Sekido attacking Genya from behind almost immediately afterward.
Just as Sekido was about to land the fatal blow, his arm was severed by Tanjiro, causing him to land only a minor blow. As Sekido reeled from the attack, Aizetsu attempted to attack Tanjiro from behind with a flurry of air slashes. His attack was foiled by Genya, who took the brunt of the attack, allowing Tanjiro to land a blow with his fiery blade on the miniature Hantengu, who screamed in agony. As the Fear Demon continued to shriek, a sixth Hantengu appeared from behind Tanjiro, who continued to press his attack. However, the boost he had gotten from Nezuko's blood had ran out, the blade being halted by the miniature-Hantengu's thick neck. Genya shot at the sixth Hantengu, who struck at one of the drums on his body, summoning an amalgamation of tree and dragon, which attacked Tanjiro and flung him up into the sky. Mitsuri arrived and caught Tanjiro, gently allowing him to rest while she fought the hatred clone. The hatred clone wrapped his miniature copy in a protective covering of branches. This new form was revealed to be the result of Sekido absorbing Karaku, Urogi, and Aizetsu, who reacted with a strong glare as Tanjiro told him to stop protecting his Fear counterpart. He asked him if he had a problem with what he was doing, calling the pair of Demon Slayers evil, as the mini Hantengu cowered and trembled in his wooden protection. He answered Tanjiro's question of why he had said they were evil by pointing out their attack on his smaller version, something he called "pure injustice" and something "only a savage would do". He stood impassively as Tanjiro pointed out his misdeeds, promising to cut the Hatred Demon's head off.
In the end, Tanjiro manage to behead him using Hinokami Kagura: Flame Dance. However, the head Tanjiro just cut was not the real Hantengu, proven as the headless body of Hantengu continues to run away. As the sun is about to rise, Tanjiro finally decides to continue in via pursuit upon Nezuko sacrifice. Tanjiro eventually locates Hatengu's real body inside of Headless Hantengu's heart. Ultimately, Hantengu finally dies after having his torso slashed by Tanjiro. However, Hantengu managed to inform Muzan about Nezuko’s immunity to the sunlight beforehand.
Powers and Abilities
- Overall Abilities: As the holder of the fourth highest title in the Twelve Kizuki, Hantengu is an extremely powerful demon and can be considered to have been the fifth strongest demon in existence. Through Hantengu's Blood Demon Art, he is able to create four clones of himself, all of them possessing the same caliber of strength as an Upper Rank demon. These clones were able to hold off and overwhelm the combined efforts of Tanjiro, Nezuko and Genya, all of whom are seasoned and trained combatants. Genya stated that Hantengu was particularly difficult to defeat as Demon Slayers would have to play cat and mouse looking for the main body while being chased down by four Upper Rank-level demons.
- Enhanced Stealth: Hantengu possesses immense skill in being stealthy, which can be seen when he managed to easily infiltrate the swordsmith village, one of their most vital and well fortified bases, without any of the numerous Demon Slayers stationed there noticing. Hantengu later managed to sneak into Muichiro's and Tanjiro's room without any of them detecting him, despite the former possessing the ability to sense the presence of demons and the latter possessing an incredibly acute sense of smell that would've sensed a demon's presences from extremely long distances. His stealth ability is so strong that none of them realized Hatengu was a demon until they saw it.
- Immense Durability: Hantengu possesses a body so durable that not even Genya's bullets could leave a dent on his body, the same bullets which tore of the necks of his clones. Even when Genya tried to cut off Hantengu's body with his Nichirin Sword, his katana broke before it could do any damage. Even with Tanjiro's bright red blade, he couldn't make a dent in his neck
- Immense Speed & Reflexes: As an Upper Rank demon, Hantengu possesses incredible movement speed and reflexes, being able to evade Muichiro's Mist Breathing technique and Tanjiro's Hinokami Kagura's technique without much effort. When he was in his tiny form, he could run fast enough that Tanjiro, Nezuko, or a demon blood-enhanced Genya could not keep up.
- Immense Strength: Karaku displayed superhuman strength when he was able to pierce Nezuko's durable body with a single kick and ripped her arms off with his bare hands.
- Unlimited Stamina & Endurance: Like all demons, Karaku(Hantengu) possesses infinite stamina and endurance. When Genya shot off his head with his shotgun, leaving his head dangling on a piece of flesh and having his neck bones exposed, Karaku never showed any signs of pain but rather exclaimed in excitement over how he's never felt an attack like that and proclaimed that it was fun.
Blood Demon Art
- Flesh Manipulation: Like all demons, Sekido(Hantengu) possesses the ability to control and alter his flesh to a certain extent. Sekido uses this ability to shape his flesh into a Khakkhara which he uses as a means to channel his Blood Demon Art. He is shown to be capable of creating more than one at a time.
- Size Alteration: Hantengu has the ability to change his size at will, as shown when he became a tiny version of himself in order to hide from the Demon Slayers.
- Biological Absorption: Sekido (Hantengu) displayed the ability to draw in and absorb the bodies of Karaku (Hantengu), Urogi (Hantengu) , and Aizetsu (Hantengu), fusing to become Zohakuten.
- Lightning Generation: Sekido's(Hantengu) Blood Demon Art allows him to summon lightning bolts from the sky or from his Khakkhara. The lightning generated have a wide area of effect and can cause those hit by it to lose consciousness or paralyze his opponents in an instant, allowing him to subdue multiple targets at once. One drawback to his lightning is that it cannot pass through anything made from his own cells, such as the body parts of any of Hantengu's clones.
- Aerokinesis: Karaku's(Hantengu) Blood Demon Art allows him to generate and manipulate wind using his flesh maple-leaf shaped Uchiwa. By simply swinging his Uchiwa down, Karaku(Hantengu) can generate a gust of wind strong enough to blow Muichiro into a forest in an instant, leave gigantic craters, level an entire building, and crush Demon Slayer and demon alike under its immense pressure, even knocking them unconscious, However, this ability can be used against him by anyone who has possession of his Uchiwa, as shown when Nezuko used Karaku's(Hantengu) own fan to blow him away.
- Spear Projection: Aizetsu's(Hantengu) Blood Demon Art allows him to project the thrusting attack of his Yari over great distances, allowing him to attack his targets from afar.
- Avian Physiology: Urogi (Hantengu) has the ability to mimic the attributes and abilities of avian creatures, namely in his large feathered wings and sharp talons. These large wings grant Urogi(Hantengu) the ability to fly at incredibly fast speeds while his talons are powerful enough to cut through diamond. A drawback to this ability is that his body has to be extremely light for him to fly, giving an opportunity for his opponents to use Urogi's(Hantengu) flight ability against him
- Sonic Scream: Urogi's(Hantengu) Blood Demon Art allows him to generate powerful sound waves from his mouth. The power from Urogi's scream is strong enough to make Tanjiro bleed from his nose and ear.
- Menacing Aura: Zohakuten(Hantengu) possesses an extremely menacing and overwhelming presence. Tanjiro choked on his breath and felt immense pain in his heart from Zohakuten's mere gaze. His aura is so strong that Genya could barely stand and caused him to start sweating profusely.
- Ability Combination: As the combination of Sekido, Karaku, Aizetsu, and Urogi, Zohakuten can use enhanced versions of the Blood Demon Arts of all four demon clones as a part of his own Blood Demon Art. The dragon heads fashioned from wood that Zohakuten manipulates can unleash lightning strikes like Sekido(Hantengu) , generate powerful gushes of wind that leave gigantic maple leaf-shaped craters like Karaku(Hantengu) , emit powerful sound waves like Urogi(Hantengu) , and manifest spear attacks out of thin air like Aizetsu. Zohakuten(Hantengu) is also capable of using these abilities from his body, as seen when he generated Urogi's(Hantengu) sound waves without the help of his wooden dragons
- Wood Manipulation: Zohakuten's(Hantengu) main Blood Demon Art grants him the ability to manipulate and alter wood from the flora in his surroundings by tapping one of the many drums on his back. This Blood Demon Art can be used both close ranged and far ranged. Zohakuten(Hantengu) mainly uses this ability to shape the wood into 5 massive dragon heads that can stretch up to twenty meters in length. He uses his dragon heads to bite his targets or to swallow them and crush them inside their jaws. Zohakuten(Hantengu) can also create dragon heads within the main dragon heads in order to increase its length. He also displayed the ability to manipulate branch whips to use to attack his targets.
Division of Emotions
- Khakkhara: Sekido carries around a Khakkhara fashioned from his flesh and blood. It serves as his main tool in combat when used in conjunction with his Blood Demon Art, allowing him to summon lightning from the sky or from his Khakkhara itself to electrocute, paralyze and incapacitate his targets
- Yari: Aizetsu carries around a Yari fashioned from his flesh and blood. It serves as his main tool in combat, being used to unleash close to mid-ranged thrusting or slicing attacks as well as allowing Aizetsu to block and parry attacks from his opponents.
Blood Demon Techniques
- Weeping Spears ( Gekirui Shitotsu): Aizetsu violently thrusts his Yari, creating multiple long-ranged projections of the spear attack.
- Crazed Cry of Thunder Death ( Kyōmei Rai Satsu): Zohakuten commands his wooden dragons to unleash bolts of lightning and powerful sound waves from their mouths.
- Countless Striking Trees ( Muken Gōju): Zohakuten commands his wooden dragons to attack his target, making them rapidly grow bigger and multiply as they rush towards his opponent.
- Compressed Sound Waves ( Kyōatsu Meiha): Similar to Urogi, Zohakuten opens his mouth and releases close ranged sound waves powerful enough to disorientate and knock a Hashira unconscious.