|“||Years ago, at this very restaurant, the Hash-Slinging Slasher used to be a fry cook, just like you... only clumsier! And then, one night, when he was cutting thee patties... it happened. He cut off his own hand by mistake! And he replaced his hand with a rusty spatula! And then, he got hit by a bus! And at his funeral, they fired him! So now, every Tuesday night, his ghost returns to the Krusty Krab to wreak his horrible vengeance...||„|
|~ Squidward Tentacles telling the story of the Hash-Slinging Slasher to scare SpongeBob.|
The Hash-Slinging Slasher is a ghost made up by Squidward to scare SpongBob in the SpongeBob SquarePants episode "Graveyard Shift" to scare SpongeBob. It was revealed to be some guy who wanted a job application.
According to Squidward, he was once a fry cook at the Krusty Krab, but was far clumsier than SpongeBob. One night, when he was cutting some patties, he accidentally cut off his left hand (since he wasn't a sponge like SpongeBob, he couldn't grow his hand back). He immediately replaced the severed hand with a rusted spatula. Later, while he was walking home, a bus runs him over and kills him. After he died, he was "fired" from his job at his funeral, and judging from Squidward's harsh tone, he was fired in a very disrespectful and unprofessional manner. Squidward then told SpongeBob that the ghost of the Hash-Slinging Slasher now returns to the Krusty Krab for revenge every Tuesday night. Realizing that tonight was Tuesday night, SpongeBob and Squidward knew he would be coming.
When SpongeBob asked how they would know he was coming, Squidward told him there were three signs that would signal the Hash-Slinging Slasher's approach:
- First the lights would flicker on and off in a repetitive cycle.
- Next the phone would ring, but no one would answer on the other end.
- Finally, the bus that ran the slasher over would appear and drop him off.
Squidward then told SpongeBob how the ghost would exit the bus and cross the street without looking both ways first, since he was already dead. He would then use his spatula hand to tap the front window, open the door, and slowly approach the counter. Squidward then told the frightened, yet insistent SpongeBob that the slasher would then "get" him, implying that he would be killed by the ghost. Squidward initially laughs at SpongeBob's scared shrieks, but then gets so annoyed with the nonstop noises that he confesses to making the whole story up just to scare him. SpongeBob laughs with relief at this, which annoys Squidward just as much.
However, Squidward's story later seemingly came true as the lights began flickering off and on, the phone rang but was silent when Squidward answered, and an apparently late running bus arrived and dropped off a shadowy figure with red glowing eyes wielding a spatula. The supposed ghost then entered the Krusty Krab and approached the terrified SpongeBob and Squidward, who both feared they would now be killed. Fortunately, the Hash-Slinging Slasher was not real at all, as the shadowy figure whom they mistaken as the ghost was actually a nervous fish who was trying to get a job application and that his hand holding the spatula was hidden under his sleeve. He also admitted that he was the one who called but he hung up because he felt nervous. But that left just one question: Who was flickering the lights? The three then find that a mischievous vampire called Nosferatu was the culprit there and tell him off.
- The Hash-Slinging Slasher is a parody of slasher film villains such as Jason Voorhees, Michael Myers, and Freddy Krueger. However, he is much more likely a parody of Hook Killer as both replace their hand with a sharp object.
- The Hash Slinging Slasher's name is often mispronounced by SpongeBob and to a lesser extent, Squidward.
- In the Croatian version of the show, The Hash Slinging name is "Jack Konobarosjek" which is a parody of "Jack The Ripper" (Jack Trbosjek on Croatian).
- The Hash Slinging Slasher appears in Squidward's stage (B-Movie) in SpongeBob SquigglePants, which was a prank by SpongeBob and Patrick to scare Squidward, if the player loses all of their lives, SpongeBob and Patrick reveal themselves and scare Squidward, but if the player wins, SpongeBob and Patrick fall, with Squidward looking in annoyance.
- In the Bahasa Indonesia version of the episode, the cause of Hash Slinging Slasher's death was different: Instead of dying by a bus crash and "fired" at his funeral, he was killed due to being burned alive (implied to be due to spontaneous combustion) not long after going crazy after having replaced his hand with a spatula. After this, he came back as a vengeful spirit.
- There is a fan game loosely based on the episode where he appears as the main antagonist. In the game, Mr. Krabs has to finish packing up the Krusty Krab for the night and leave before he gets murdered by the Hash-Slinging Slasher.
- It is likely that this time it actually was the real Hash-Slinging Slasher.