|This article's content is marked as Mature|
The page Mature contains mature content that may include coarse language, sexual references, and/or graphic violent images which may be disturbing to some. Mature pages are recommended for those who are 18 years of age and older.
If you are 18 years or older or are comfortable with graphic material, you are free to view this page. Otherwise, you should close this page and view another page.
|“||The mudak in the car is General Heinrich Amsel, architect of Stalingrad's misery.||„|
|~ Viktor Reznov to Dimitri Petrenko.|
Lieutenant General Heinrich Amsel is the main antagonist in the 2008 video game Call of Duty: World at War. He is a German officer in the Wehrmacht who was mainly responsible for the massacre of the Red Army soldiers and civilians across the Soviet Union during World War II.
His model is shared with Dr. Edward Richtofen.
Lieutenant General Heinrich Amsel served as the commander of a German unit based in the area of Red Square in Stalingrad. Given his rank, he was most likely a divisional commander and given the area that his command building was located.
During the German occupation of Stalingrad, Amsel gained infamy for orchestrating brutal massacres against Soviet soldiers and civilians. His role in the occupation led to Sergeant Reznov spending days relentlessly stalking Amsel. It was not until September 17, 1942, after a massacre of soldiers from the 62nd Rifle Division took place, that Reznov enlisted the aid of Private Petrenko in helping him track down and assassinate Amsel.
Initially, Amsel treated the day as any other day - he went about his daily agenda of inspecting the men under his command, but it was not until Red Army soldiers made a push to his headquarters that alerted Amsel enough to cause him to attempt to withdraw to another location. Together with his personal bodyguards, Amsel tried to slip out of his headquarters unnoticed, but during his attempt, he was assassinated by Petrenko.
Amsel was an arrogant, cruel and warlike man. He is described by Reznov as the "architect of Stalingrad's misery". At the end of his life he turns and runs with a small armed escort in tow. His escort is cut down by the Russians and Dimitri kills him.
- Amsel is German for "Blackbird".
- Reznov will comment to Dimitri if Amsel is killed by hipfiring a sniper rifle.
- If the player tries to enter the restaurant where Amsel went at the beginning of the level, the player will alert the guards and will be killed by a Panzer tank.
- If the player goes into the building where Amsel went, they will see that it is just a small room with no doors or windows.
- Amsel is mentioned in a file written by Alex Mason and found in Adrienne Smith's account on the CIA database. The file recounts Reznov's actions during World at War.