|“||One battle... does not win a war... She-Ra!||„|
|~ Hordak (Filmation version).|
Hordak is a major antagonist in the Masters of the Universe franchise, serving as the main antagonist of the She Ra: Princess of Power series and the archenemy of She-Ra as well as the overarching antagonist of the 2002 version of He-Man the Masters of the Universe. He is the field leader of the Evil Horde and the former mentor of He-Man's arch-enemy Skeletor.
Long before King Hiss and the ruthless Snake Men formed a threat to Eternia, the Evil Horde was there. An army of pure evil and ruthless warriors, with the goal to destroy the light. Their leader, the terrible Hordak, is the most powerful of the evil beings on Etheria, which is Eternia's sister planet.
Hordak killed King Grayskull and was the former mentor of Skeletor until Skeletor betrayed him and trapped him in another dimension. He now operates as the evil ruler of Etheria on behalf of his master Horde Prime
In the original series, Hordak is voiced by the late George DiCenzo. His 2002 counterpart at first was voiced by Michael Donovan before being replaced by Colin Murdock. In the reboot series, he is voiced by Keston John.
He-Man and She-Ra: The Secret Of The Sword
Hordak and his Horde Troopers arrived on Eternia with the intention to conquer it. Around, this time, Hordak took Skeletor under his wing as his apprentice.
Hordak later discovered that King Randor and Queen Marlena's twin children had a special destiny, and he and Skeletor launched a kidnapping attempt. However, while Hordak succeeded in kidnapping Princess Adora, Prince Adam's kidnapping was foiled by Man-At-Arms and Queen Marlena and Skeletor was captured by the guards.
After learning from Skeletor of Hordak's secret lair, Man-At-Arms and the Sorceress went to Snake Mountain, but Hordak managed to escape with Princess Adora. Hordak would later go on to conquer several more kingdoms, most recently the kingdom of Bright Moon.
She-Ra and He-Man
Hordak continues to confront She-Ra who opposes his reign over Etheria. Sometimes he confronts He-Man and in this situation, his old pupil, comes to get in the way of Hordak.
Masters of the Universe
Unlike the previous version, Hordak does not come from Etheria and is not the sworn enemy of She-Ra because it does not exist in this series.
She-Ra and the Princesses of Power (2018)
- Main article: Hordak (Netflix Reboot)
Hordak appears in the 2018 Netflix series She-Ra and the Princesses of Power as the central antagonist. He is the main antagonist of the first three seasons and the secondary antagonist of the fourth and fifth seasons. This version of the character is a clone of a galactic conqueror named Horde Prime, whom Hordak considers to be an older brother. At the end of the fourth season, Horde Prime becomes disgusted by his "little brother's" independence and erases Hordak's mind. In Season 5 he retains memories of Entrapta and eventually reforms through his friendship or love for her, nearly killing Horde Prime, who immediately possesses him before being exorcised and destroyed by She-Ra, releasing Hordak unharmed.
- Hordak's face was modeled after an African witch doctor's mask.
- His full name (Hec-Tor Kur) was revealed in the Masters of the Universe Classics toy line.
- Although Skeletor is the main antagonist of the whole series, Hordak is the Bigger Bad of the series as he was Skeletor's mentor and more evil than him as he defeated King Hiss and his Snakemens and he killed King Grayskull and in some Masters of the Universe projects he is the main villain while Skeletor was a henchman. Horde Prime, however, was the true Bigger Bad of the entire Masters of the Universe franchise as the master of Hordak. Hordak would later become the main villain of the She-Ra series.
- Hordak is the second primary antagonist of the Masters of the Universe franchise, the first being Skeletor.