|DIO has declared that this article has stopped in time, and any and all information on it may be outdated.|
Help improve this article by checking and updating it's info wherever necessary
And now time resumes!
|“||Surrender now, or prepare to fight!||„|
|~ James' famous quote.|
|“||Jessie, Meowth, do you ever think, just, maybe...our fruitless never ending quest to capture this specific Pikachu, even though there are plenty of other powerful Pokémon...is only a metaphor for some larger search for meaning in the universe?||„|
|~ James breaking the fourth wall.|
James (in Japanese: コジロウ, Kojirō) of Team Rocket is one of the three main antagonists (alongside Jessie and Meowth) of the Pokémon anime. He is a member of Team Rocket and one of Ash Ketchum's archenemies.
He is in a trio with Jessie and Meowth, who all attempt to steal Pikachu from Ash Ketchum. He is the softy of Team Rocket, and is more or less a kindhearted and thoughtful person. He came from a very rich family and has many vacation homes and extra houses dotted around the Pokémon World. He is also Ash Ketchum's second archenemy next to Jessie.
In the English dubbed version, he was originally voiced by Ted Lewis, then by Eric Stuart and is currently voiced by Jimmy Zoppi. In the original Japanese version, he was voiced by Shin'ichirō Miki, who also voiced Mizuki in Naruto.
In Pokémon 3: The Movie, James, Jessie and Meowth prevent Ash Ketchum from falling to his demise (while looking for his single mother). In Pokémon 2000, Team Rocket help free Moltres and Zapdos, pick up Ash and get him to ice island and later heroically sacrifice themselves to save the world. At one time in Pokémon: Jirachi—Wish Maker, when Butler unleashed Groudon, set out to destroy the Pokemon world (unless Ash Ketchum, Max and Pikachu stop it with help from Jirachi), swallowing him as well as Jessie and Meowth (not to mention Brock, May and Diane).
Also in Pokémon: Mewtwo Returns, when Giovanni threatened to build a new Team Rocket lab (while capturing and destroying Mewtwo), Ash and Brock escape from their prison (with the assistance from a few bug Pokemon especially Beedrill), freed Mewtwo from his prison and threw him into the natural spring water, with Giovanni saying something at the end of the Special unless Mewtwo shows up, refreshed from the natural spring water, wiping out Team Rockets minds excluding Jessie, James and Meowth.
Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu!/Pokémon: Let's Go, Eevee!
James appears in Pokémon Masters as one of the game's various sync pairs, and also is one tied with two events (Double Trouble and Blasting Off Again), with him obtainable for free in the former. As a sync pair, James is a three-star Poison type Sync Pair, using his Weezing.
In Double Trouble, he, alongside Jessie and Meowth, are warped in Pasio by a shiny Celebi, and desiring it for their own ends, head after it. Despite this, he and his team must team up with the player to defeat Team Break, and although they beat them, Celebi flees. In Blasting Off Again, the trio catch wind of a fireworks festival going on in Pasio, and thus head off to it in hopes of stealing Pokémon, they manipulate the player to help their schemes, using them to help ward off Team Break and even betraying them by stealing their Pikachu. Despite this, the protagonist eventually finds their true goals and defeats them in battle, sending them flying off as usual. The two groups eventually regroup, and although still swearing to beat one another next time, together look up at the firework show and says they might be able to lend their aid someday. James becomes usable to the player after this.
As a member of Team Rocket, James is uncaring towards people as he, Jessie and Meowth attempted to steal Pokemon and Ash's Pikachu. His hobby is collecting bottle caps including his academic cap when he first met Jessie and Meowth. He is terrified of his fiancee, Jessiebelle and refuse to marry her even when his parents attempted to force him to wed. He got annoyed when Victreebel, Cacnea, Carnivine and Mareanie shown their affections on him. James has a rivalry between him and Butch as he and his partner, Jessie were considered to be losers by Butch and Cassidy due to their low rank and failures of capturing Pokemon and for James calls Butch "Biff" which offended him. Instead of using Pokedex, James is paranoid when he using Pokemon cards.
These are the Pokémon James owned or used to own.
- Carnivine: James got the Pokémon from his Pokéball in his bottle-cap collection which was in his old playhouse in Sinnoh. Carnivine likes to bite James in the head as a sign of affection just like Victreebel. He is revealed to have gotten it in the Great Marsh.
- Mime Jr.: James got the Pokémon at his Nanny and Pop-Pop's house as a replacement for his Chimecho. Mime Jr., like Jessie's Wobbuffet likes to pop out of its Pokéball.
- Yamask: James catches the Pokémon at an abandoned warehouse in Unova. He knows Shadow Ball, Night Shade, Haze, and Will-O Wisp.
- Amoonguss: James catches Amoonguss while going back to Kanto from Unova. It knows Stun Spore, Hidden Power and Body Slam.
- Inkay: James caught the Pokémon while it was eating the trio's sandwiches. James uses this opportunity to catch Inkay with a Pokéball, much to Jessie and Meowth's dismay. It knows Tackle, Psybeam, and Foul Play.
- Koffing/Weezing: James got Koffing as a Christmas present, and has used it to battle Ash and his friends, until his Koffing evolved into a Weezing in "Dig Those Diglett", and has used it for quick getaways or battles. He released his Weezing in "A Poached Ego" in order to protect a group of scared Koffing.
- Weepinbell/Victreebel; James got Victreebel as a Weepinbell when he used Weezing to catch one. It evolved into Victreebel in "The Breeding Center Secret" when it touched a Leaf Stone in its cage. Since then, Victreebel has been James's primary battling Pokemon, until it got released and fell in love with James's 2nd female Victreebel. Both of them fell in love and skipped off into the forest.
- Mareanie: James caught Mareanie after it got attracted to him after it poisoned his face, which made him resemble a Mareanie. Because of this resemblance, Mareanie instantly decided to join Team Rocket's group of Pokemon. Each time James sends out Mareanie, Mareanie shows its affection toward James just like Victreebel, Cacnea and Carnivine. It knows Spike Cannon, Sludge Bomb and Knock Off.
- Growlie: James keeps a pet Growlithe named Growlie at his family's mansion. He told it to stay behind to keep his family safe.
- Chimecho: James found a real Chimecho while searching around the marketplace and decided to catch it. In "Sweet Baby James", James's Chimecho falls ill and James decides to let Chimecho stay with his nanny and pop-pop in order to let it feel better, which is were Mime Jr. comes in and jumps into one of James's unused Pokéballs, letting it catch itself for James.
- Cacnea: James caught a Cacnea in "Tree's a Crowd" when it liked the food that James offered it that it wanted to join his team, which James accepted. It is currently with Sinnoh gym leader Gardenia for training on how to improve it's Drain Punch attack.
- Magikarp/Gyarados: James temporarily had a Magikarp when it was given to him by the Magikarp salesman in the episode "Battle Aboard the S.T. Anne". The salesman tricked James by saying the Magikarp would give him gold. In the episode "Pokemon Shipwreck", James no longer wanted to be Magikarp's master and kicked Magikarp into the water, causing it to flail around and evolve into Gyarados. It gets angry at James and summons other Gyarados to create a Twister in order to send Ash, Misty, Brock, Jessie, James, and their Pokemon flying away into an island.
- Hoppip: James was tricked into buying a Hoppip disguised as a Chimecho by the Magikarp salesman but before James could do anything about it, the Hoppip flew away.
- Aggron: The Team Rocket scout's Delibird gave Jessie and James a Charizard and an Aggron in the episode "Grating Spaces", until it revealed to them that the Pokemon were meant for Butch and Cassidy and flew off with the two Poke-Balls containing Charizard and Aggron.