|“||I CAN DO ANYTHING!||„|
|~ Jevil's most famous quote.|
|“||BOO HOO HOO, UEE HEE HEE. SO LONELY, LONELY, I BE... BUT LO, THREE VISITORS STANDING INSIDE? WHO ARE YOU FEW? I AM INNOCENT, INNOCENT. I JUST WANTED TO PLAY A GAME, GAME. BUT THE BORING KINGS FOUND SUCH FUN TO BE A TROUBLE. AS PUNISHMENT, THEY CRAVED TO IMPRISON MY BODY. BUT I'M FAST, FAST, CLEVER, CLEVER. THEY LOST THE CHASE, AND LOCKED UP THEIR ENTIRE RACE, BUILDING A PRISON AROUND THE WHOLE WORLD. NOW I'M THE ONLY FREE ONE. THINGS DON'T SEEM SUCH FROM HERE, LIGHTNERS! THAT IS UN-SO. I GROW LONELY IN MY LITTLE FREEDOM. SO, SHALL YOU PLAY A GAME WITH ME, ME...? I'LL SHOW YOU WHAT IT MEANS TO BE FREE!||„|
|~ Jevil speaks his first words when you first meet him.|
|“||CHAOS, CHAOS, CATCH ME IF YOU CAN!||„|
|~ Jevil speaks his first quote during his battle.|
|“||UEE HEE HEE! SHARK-TO-SHARK! I WOULDN'T HAVE IT ANY OTHER WAY! NOW, NOW!! LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!||„|
|~ Jevil before kicking off his battle.|
Jevil is a secret boss in the 2018 indie game Deltarune. He was the former court jester of the Darkners until he met a "strange someone" and started descending into insanity; first, he started saying things that didn't completely make sense, then he saw the entire world as a game so he was locked away by Seam, the first shopkeeper the player encounters in the game.
Before the events of Deltarune, Jevil was the court jester of Card Castle and was friends with Seam, the court magician. They performed acts together for the kings until one-day Jevil met the Knight; ever since Jevil met the Knight he has descended into insanity. His growing insanity is what led to the kings banishing Jevil into the dungeon, but in his eyes, Jevil was too fast for the kings and built a wall to "trap" the kings and now, he is the only one "free".
In the Chapter 1 demo of Deltarune Jevil can be found on the ?????? floor of Card Castle, where he tells Kris, Susie, and Ralsei that he is lonely being "free" and wishes to free them as well. He tells them to find Seam since the latter knows how to create the key to Jevil's cell. Then the team has to find Broken Key A, B, and C and give them to Smith Malius. Smith Malius will combine them into the Room Key, and the team must go back to Jevil's cell and use the Room Key. After that, a small door will appear and Jevil invites them in, and Jevil says that he will play with them first and then play with the others. Ralsei asks what type of game they will play; Jevil then tries to attack them with a Devilsknife, however, the team dodges them. Jevil replies with a "simple numbers game", and that if their HP drops to 0, they "lose". After Susie and Jevil both compare eachother to sharks, the fight commences.
Jevil has multiple attacks during his boss fight, most of which involve him using card symbols to damage the party. His battle has five phases.
Jevil has four attacks during this phase. First, he can teleport to random spots on the battlefield and fire volleys of spade bullets that advance linearly beyond the board (also revealing that he has two hands). He can also fire 10 large spade bullets that bound around the board in a spiral pattern towards the centre and beyond. These bullets move toward the middle in a spiralling manner, and their direction remains the same during the earlier phases. He can also cause bombs with hearts to quickly fall to the battlefield and explode, launching four hearts that go in square formations while rotating around the centre point, and fly towards the SOUL and go beyond. For his fourth attack during this phase, Jevil can launch four scythes that oscillate around the centre of the Bullet Board and rotate in either direction.
During this phase, Jevil can do the following attacks:
- Three rows of horses fly across the arena as if they are textures on a 3D cylinder. They bob up and down and their path skews over time.
- Bombs with clubs fall onto the Bullet Board and explode into club bullets that act like his spade volley attack from phase 1.
- Diamonds rapidly spawn from the screen's bottom and fly upwards.
- Spade Bullets circle the screen and strike like in phase 1, but Kris has to move carefully, since his movement speeds up.
- Just like the Carousel, but both horses and ducks appear, and their path does not skew. Ducks rise as horses fall and vice versa.
- Similar to the Club Bomb but with spade symbols and there are ten spade bullets per bomb.
- Clubs appear around the screen's edge, shooting bullets that head to Kris's location.
- Similar to the scythe attack from phase 1, but a larger red scythe can strike, too.
- Similar to the Phase 1 attack, but much quicker and one diamond bullet launches.
- Every previous suit bomb appears, and diamond bombs appear too. Similar to the suit bomb attacks.
- Jevil looks tired and uses slower versions of the diamond attack from phase 2.
- Jevil exclaims that his tuckering was just a feint and brings in his "Final Chaos": The arena grows to fill the whole screen. Giant versions of the Devilsknife fall from the top of the screen, dealing damage if touched. If they touch the ground, they create a pillar of white light that may also damage the party members. These Devilsknives appear randomly along the screen until the party members survive long enough, then a set pattern falls going from the edges of the screen in, then another falls dead-center, followed by some more around the edges, and a final giant Devilsknife that fills the screen falls from the sky and ends the attack. This final Devilsknife can easily be avoided by staying away, since it cannot go all the way down.
Jevil repeats his attacks from his prior phases.
If the player decides to attack Jevil, when they defeat him, Jevil will say "THE HAND OF THE KNIGHT IS DRIFTING FORWARD. SOON, THE "QUEEN" RETURNS, AND HELLS ROAR BUBBLES FROM THE DEPTHS..." He then turns into the Devilsknife and goes into Susie's inventory as a weapon, therefore remaining with the team for the rest of the demo and having his revenge against the King for locking him away.
If the player decides to not attack Jevil, tiring him out and using Ralsei to pacify him near the end of his fight, Jevil will say that "FROM NOW, A NIGHTMARE WILL AWAKEN IN YOUR HEARTS. IN THE SHADOW OF THE KNIGHT'S HAND...". He then gives the team a Jevilstail, and leaves to sleep for another 100 years.
Jevil takes the appearance of an imp wearing a black and purple jester cap with black eyes that reveal yellow pupils when he's laughing. He has grey skin and yellow sharp teeth, and also has a black cape with a yellow and green collar. He sports a tail and green shoes. His head is attached to a spring as seen when he is attacked.
Though his personality before going insane is unknown, Jevil seems to very childish, unable to say words without sometimes repeating them. Jevil thinks the world around him is a game and appears to have no grip on reality. In his point of view, Jevil claims to the free one, while in the real world the Darkners are the ones that are all imprisoned. (In truth, Jevil himself is the imprisoned one.)
- The way Jevil appears in his damaged animation is similar to a bobblehead.
- Jevil's name is a combination of "jester"/"joker" and "devil".
- Jevil could possibly be based on the Joker card in a 52-card deck, as the card adds randomness into the game, similar to Jevil.
- Jevil being stronger than King may be a reference to the Joker card, as it acts like a wild card that can overpower any other card played, including the King and Queen card.
- A deck of cards always has two Joker cards in it, meaning there may be another being like Jevil in the Dark World.
- Some fans theorize that this other being is in fact Seam. This would make sense from a playing card symbolism standpoint, as the second Joker is called the Magician in some countries, and Seam used to be the court magician of Card Castle.
- Other fans believe it really is just a red palette version of Jevil, possibly named Deker, Dever, Decker, Dester, or some other reversal of the combination of words jester/joker and devil, as Seam is actually a doll, as seen in the epilogue.
- Jevil is stronger than King, even though the latter is the final boss of the demo.
- It could be possible that Jevil was inspired by Dimentio from Super Paper Mario and Marx from the Kirby franchise due to various similarities.
- Dimentio also does share a similar color palette to Jevil.
- The theme that plays during Jevil's boss fight is called "THE WORLD REVOLVING".
- In files, it is called prejoker.ogg and joker.ogg.
- The name could be referencing the background of the fight, which features two strange circles with a spike in the middle connecting to each other with light blue and dark blue stripes revolving around and around.
- Jevil is the only character to currently have voice acting in Deltarune. Jevil says "CHAOS, CHAOS!", "I CAN DO ANYTHING!", and "METAMORPHOSIS." for his normal attacks, and "BYE BYE!" and "THE TRUE NEO-CHAOS!" for "Final Chaos". The voice acting is localized in the Japanese version.
- One of the Hypnosis actions is "X spun something around", a likely reference to the Mad Duck in Earthbound, which has an attack with the text "Mad Duck made something spin around!"
- One of Jevil's lines, "HOW CAN YOU REFUSE WHEN YOU ARE ALREADY PLAYING...?", maybe a reference to the line "How can you hope to outrun me when I am already here?" spoken by the character Lord English from the popular webcomic Homestuck. This makes sense, seeing how Toby Fox, the creator of Deltarune, made music for the webcomic.
- It could also be based on Jevil believing the world is a game and everyone is participating, as it would be impossible to not play unless the player dies.
- During Jevil's carousel attack, one of the ducks may rarely bear the face of Everyman from Undertale.