This Villain was proposed and approved by Villains Wiki's Pure Evil Proposals Thread. Any act of removing this villain from the category without a Removal Proposal shall be considered vandalism (or a futile "heroic" attempt of redemption) and the user will have high chances of being
|“||All it takes is one, rotten day, to transform a normal man into a monster... well, in my case, a rotten day and a chemical bath.||„|
|~ Joker on his origins.|
The Joker is the main antagonist of the cartoon show The Batman and the arch-nemesis of Batman.
He is voiced by Kevin Michael Richardson, who also played Lester Krinklesac in The Cleveland Show, Captain Gantu in the Lilo & Stitch franchise by Disney, Trigon from Teen Titans, and Skulker in Danny Phantom.
In this series he is only referred to as simply "Joker" and never as "the Joker" - he had wild green hair, red eyes, dark red lips and a milky blue tongue. Joker wanted to stage an opera and it was implied his parents never paid much attention to him. Joker worked as an nice office drone who simply wanted to make people laugh. Sadly he fell into a vat of chemicals, which bleached his skin, dyed his hair and drove him to insanity. In his first few appearances his costume consists of a purple sleeved straitjacket, blue pants, fingerless gloves and bare feet. Later in the series, he regressed back the more traditional garb of a purple suit and spats, but still had wild hair and wore no shoes, save one episode (which had mechanical stilts concealed in them). Joker also moves and fights with a monkey-like style, using his feet as dexterously as his hands, and often hangs from the walls and ceilings.
Whilst it can be argued that this version of the Clown Prince of Crime more resembles the colorful, comic relief character featured in the comics of the 1950s and 1960s, he is still a highly dangerous, knowledgeable and cruel character - whilst most of his crimes are silly and prank-like in nature, they can still be legitimately destructive. He treats each of his crimes like an elaborate joke designed to make his victims literally die laughing (but he fails to kill anyone in this show). Due to his unpredictable nature, bizarre appearance and unnerving instinct for the absurd he has earned a reputation as one of the most dangerous criminals in Gotham.
He believes himself to be inextricably linked to the Batman, and considers him to be his favorite sparring partner and opponent - he says their relationship is "like comedy and tragedy - two sides, same coin". His weapons include his signature Joker venom (called "Joker Gas" in the series), razor sharp playing cards, grenades with Joker smiles on them and a bomb shaped like a Jack-in-the-Box. One of his most famous crimes was creating the supervillain Clayface. Joker captured and tortured detective Ethan Bennet, in order to drive him mad, he exposed Bennet to "Joker putty" a deadly chemical he created which mutated Bennet transforming him into the shape-shifting monster Clayface. As Clayface Bennet would attempt to get revenge on Joker many times. It is possible that this incarnation of the Joker has an origin similar to the Killing Joke, as he mentions having always wanted to make people laugh, in a flashback to his origins he is shown wearing red clothes after emerging from the chemicals suggesting at the very least a red hood origin. It is also hinted that Joker will one day cripple Batgirl as in The Killing Joke, as Barbara Gordon is shown to be confined to a wheelchair in the future. He also maintains a rivalry with the Penguin for the title of Gotham's greatest criminal. In one episode, there's a near almighty version of Joker, Joker 2.0, who is presumably based on Emperor Joker.
This Joker has often switched from a prankster-like clown to be a much darker homicidal psychopath. Sometimes he would simply intend to cause relatively harmless mischief such as messing up statues with Joker putty, pranking people with Donnie or throwing coins into a water fountain with Harley. Sometimes he will get more dangerous to the point where in "Joker Express" he fills dianimate in Gotham and attempts to blow them up to make Gotham fall into a sinkhole.
The Batman vs. DraculaJoker serves as a major antagonist in the movie. Joker first escapes from Arkham Aslyum in search of treasure. Joker tricks Penguin into thinking they will work together to find the treasure, he shocks Penguin with his joy-buzzer and runs off. After a fight with Batman, Joker falls into a river and seemingly gets electrocauted to death, much to Batman's horror and sadness.
Joker survived though. He met Penguin at Gotham Cemetary. Joker thought Penguin was hiding the treasure. Joker knocks Penguin out and discovers Dracula sleeping, despite Penguin warning him not to in an attempt to save him. Joker then got bitten by Dracula and became a vampire. His hair turned white, his eyes turned bluish-white, and his clothes were affected as well. Unlike all the other vampires, however, he retained his individuality and his speech as well as gaining vampiric superhuman strength and speed. Nevertheless he is still incapable of betraying Dracula's resting place. Joker went to a Blood Bank and drank a lot of blood up. Joker then fought Batman. Joker was defeated and taken back the the Batcave.
Joker initially suffered due to not getting any blood. Batman then gave Joker some of his own blood to help Joker. Batman managed to find a cure and revert Joker back to normal. As a side effect, Joker didn't remember anything after his meeting with Penguin outside of Dracula's resting place. Joker asks Batman is he dreaming but Batman says, "No. Just insane." Joker is sent to Arkham Asylum shortly after.
Like his other incarnations past, he fell into a vat of chemicals transforming him into Joker. It's implied he didn't get any attention from his parents and he wanted to stage an opera. Joker worked as a mild-mannered office drone who dreamed of making people laugh. Joker then fell into the chemicals through unknown circumstances.
At Arkham Asylum, Joker released the inmates and even poisoned one of the workers with Joker Venom, but he was later cured. Joker encountered Batman at the asylum as the Dark Knight was shocked to see him. They fought but Joker escaped, planning to spread his deadly laughing gas all around the city. While on his blimp, he fought Batman and was nearly knocked off the edge, he then landed in the ocean and finally captured by the police.
Later, he escaped Arkham Asylum, and was now wielded with a laser-like gun which could transform people into human-sized playing cards. With this, his new goal was to execute those who "did him wrong". Batman confronted him and saved his captives, finally defeating Joker with his own weapon and sent him back to the asylum.
Joker and his two goons named Punch and Judy, now used a weapon which melted anything. He robbed a bank and escaped the police, finally heading to a Statue which he melted. The Detectives and Batman fought him and his goons, but he once again escaped. Batman soon confronted him when he captured Detective Ethan Bennett during his attempt to drive him insane like him by destroying his mind. Joker used a smiling shield to help him fight Batman but Batman knocked him out with a punch. It is later revealed that the gas from his weapon caught Ethan; thus transforming him into Clayface.
Joker breifly stopped being a villain and became a vigilante, even dressing like Batman. However, while Joker actually did punished people who commited crimes most of them were minor crimes. For example, gassing a jaywalker, a man who litters, cops for "speeding", a lady for driving three blocks with her turn signal on, the mayor's wife for having 11 items in a 10 item check-out line and attempting to gas two girls using "graffati' (actually chalk which Joker didn't relaize due to being insane) before being stopped by Batman. Joker told the mayor Gotham will pay dearly if they pay him 1 million dollars to Joker as payment for him becoming a vigilante.
Joker injected Batman with venom that would kill him in 24 hours due to laughing too much. Joker did attempt to do one genuienly heroic act by stopping Penguin from stealing eggs from the muesuem. Batman arrived and him and Joker more or less work together to stop Penguin. Batman manages to cure himself and then reverts Joker back to his original personality with a joke.
The evil clown escapes once again after being attacked by Clayface and finds Detective Ethan Bennett which he planned to drop from a building to kill. Bennett is then revealed to be Clayface and tries to murder Joker however Batman interferes which allows Joker to escape. The clown is then see committing robberies but he fights Clayface and Batman comes to capture Clayface successfully but Joker escapes.
Joker pirates the airwaves of Gotham in order to broadcast his crimes on TV as entertainment to his audience. Ellen Ying soon has a new partner, Cash Tankison, who Joker captures and has him as his latest "co-star" . Joker also gasses both the Mayor and Cash Tankinson with Joker Venom and planned to kill them but Joker was arrested with Batman's help and the hostages were saved.
Hugo Strange creates a device which allows the user to go into a victim's mind. Joker has Yin hostage and refuses to tell anyone where his holding her, so Batman infiltrates Joker's mind with the invention to discover her location. He manages to find out by placing Joker into his mind and rescues her.
Joker, Penguin and Riddler battle control over Gotham. They then do a deal, saying anyone who is able to capture and unmask Batman will be able to control Gotham City. Towards the end, Joker and Penguin confronted Riddler and his goons and they eliminated his henchmen then turned their attention to Riddler. Batman soon arrived to defeat each one of them. Batman defeated Joker by throwing an Explosive Batarang at the pipes he was underneath, destroying them and caused the pipes to fall on Joker, knocking him out.
Later Joker, Penguin and Scarface are shown as member's of Hugo Stranges therapy season. Joker says he cant hear the voices in his head.
After getting hold on Banes venom, Joker becomes a raging strongman known as Brawn. However, when Batman fails to stop him, Batgirl must learn to defeat the enhanced Joker and she succeeds.
When a rare Black Siberian is stolen, Batman and Batgirl suspect Catwoman is responsible. However, Joker is the true thief and brings the cats to Killgore Steed. It is a maze of doom filled with dangerous creatures, so Joker forces them to run for their lives. The three become successful in escaping alive and ultimately defeat the Clown Prince of Crime once again. Joker also ends up betraying Killgore by gassing him with Joker Venom.
With Batman having his sidekick, Joker becomes jealous and wants a sidekick too. So he recruits a school prankster who calls himself Prank. He and Prank bomb the streets with giant gumballs and Joker orders him to kill Batgirl with it, but he refuses to kill. Joker then attempts to throw him in a Vat of Chemicals in order to give him the courage to kill and create another Joker. Batman and Batgirl though find them and rescue Prank from him. Joker tries to get them into the chemicals with a gun, but Prank knocks him out and it is revealed that it was a false gun.
Joker alongside Punch and Judy head to a factory where he plans to infect every dog in Gotham with Joker Venom. Although Clayface is revealed to be his henchmen and helps Batman capture Joker. Joker later appears playing Chess with Bassil Karlo and tells him that he still has some of his Clayface powers which was proven true
After Harleen Quinzel is fired from her job, Joker recruits her into becoming Harley Quinn. The two have a night of fun together before Joker helps her try and get revenge on the people responsible for firing her. In a resulting explosion which knocks out Quinn, Joker escapes and Quinn is captured but she still remains with him after he sends her an affectionate message telling her to keep smiling.
Like many other criminals, Joker is captured by Rumor and is later taken down by Batman and Robin alongside Harley. Joker was the reason why the criminals were captured as he injured Rumor's boss in a previous incident, and Rumor blamed Batman for not arriving in time.
As The Joining invade Earth, Joker, Penguin, Bane and Mr Freeze team up with the police and assist them in destroying the alien forces, with Joker stating he only gets to cause terror in Gotham and exclaims the town has gone mad upon seeing Gordon and Mr Freeze work together.
Joker becomes the Conductor of a Train and uses its lights to manipulate others, making them have tortured and uncontrollable laughter and commit crimes by stealing things and placing it on Joker's ship. Joker plans to escape the city once and for all with many valuables before finally blowing it up with many Dynamite causing it to fall into a sink-hole below. The three heroes manage to steal the battery of the detonator to prevent the explosion and defeat him again.
While on a scheme to get rich, one of Joker's henchmen, Marty Slacker, creates a duplicate of Joker by downloading his mind into a computer. Joker 2.0 is then created with WayneTech's nanobots and is more dangerous than his original. Joker is turned on by his clone though Joker 2.0 is eventually defeated and Joker alongside his henchmen are apprehended.
Two criminals known as Wrath and Scorn plan to end Batman and Robin by helping criminals. They helped Joker steal money and he alongside Killer Croc, the Ventriloquist and Penguin where told they will help them defeat Batman. Though the two know his secret identity and finally end him while they are in custody, Joker infects them with laughing gas to stop them from talking and claims he will be the only one to end Batman as he escapes with Harley.
Some point afterwards Joker was captured offscreen and returned to Arkham Asylum. When Batman, Robin and Green Arrow go there to confront Hugo Strange about working with the Joining, they quickly pass by Joker's cell where he simply looks back and smiles knowing he will escape once again.
- The Bat in the Belfry
- Topsy Turvy
- The Rubberface of Comedy
- The Clayface of Tragedy
- The Laughing Bat
- Strange Minds
- Night and the City
- A Fistful of Felt
- The Laughing Cats
- The Apprentice
- Two of a Kind
- The Joining Part 2
- Joker Express
- The Metal Face of Comedy
- The End of The Batman
- Lost Heroes Part 1 (cameo)
- The Batman vs. Dracula
- Joker Venom: Joker's Venom and Gases will make victims start laughing and get a large Joker-like grin before becoming paralyzed. The Mayor, Cash Tankinson and an unnamed Arkham Asylum worker were cured and saved from this.
- Joy Buzzer: Joker used a deadly Joy Buzzer which he knocked out Penguin and Robin with. He almost killed himself with one after falling into a river but he survived.
- Razor Cards: Regular looking joker cards which is capable of cutting through flesh. Joker used them as shurikens and knives.
- Boxing Glove Arm: A spring-loaded arm with a Boxing Glove which Joker used to knock out victims with.
- Custom Explosives: Explosives which are painted in green and purple as well as having Joker's face on it. He used them as grenades.
- Putty Gun: A gun with specialized liquid which could turn anything or anyone into putty. This transformed Detective Ethan Bennett into Clayface.
- Card Gun: A gun which can shoot lasers to imprison victims in life-sized playing cards.
- Jack N' The Box: Jack N' The Boxes can rather launch out Jacks or explode which is capable of destroying bridges.
- Mallet: A mallet which Joker used in an attempt to kill Batman in anger.
- Blimp: Joker used two Blimps to fly over Gotham. One was filled with Joker Gas.
- Smiley Face: A shield which Joker used in combat against Batman.
- Spinning Wheel: A specialized spinning wheel which Joker used to drive Ethan Bennett insane.
- Batman's Gadgets: Joker had a Batsuit, Utility Belt, Batarangs and Batropes during his night of impersonating Batman.
- Spring Shoes: Spring Shoes which Joker used in one of his robberies and his attempt to kill Clayface/Ethan Bennett.
- Bane's Venom: Joker stole some of Bane's Venom to gain superhuman strength and growth.
- Gumball Machine: A machine which launched life-sized gumballs which caused police officers to stick to buildings. Joker attempted to kill Batgirl with it by tying her to one of the gumballs and launching it but she was rescued by Batman.
- Shovel: A shovel which Joker used against Batman.
- Train: A train which Joker used in one of his schemes.
- Explosive Pie: A pie with a grenade within it.
- Wrist-Mounted Rocket: A rocket which Joker used in his attempt to steal a weapon capable of destroying structures with loud sounds. As Batman stopped Joker, the rocket accidentally injured a civilian.
- Ice Cream Van: An Ice Cream Van which Joker used as his personal vehicle.
- Unidentified Gas: An unidentified gas which Joker used to rather knock out the police officers during one of his kidnappings of the Mayor.
- Fire Engine: A fire engine which was filled with Joker's deadly gas. Joker used it in an attempt to assassinate the Mayor but Batman stopped him.
- Bat in the Belfry: Joker infected one of Arkham Asylum's workers with Joker Venom and then intended to gas the entire city with it. This failed as Batman had him arrested and disposed of the deadly gases.
- Topsy Turvy: Joker had various victims captured so he could trap them in giant life-sized playing cards then he planned to later kill them. He also had an old person disguised as him who carried it out and threatened to hurt him if he talked. The victims were saved with Batman defeating Joker again.
- The Rubberface of Comedy: With a new weapon, Joker broke into and robbed a Bank, changed the face of Gotham's new statue and stole a piece of art which he later used as a shield. He then broke the mind of Detective Ethan Bennett who he later wanted to kill but accidentally turned him into Clayface. He was later defeated by the Dark Knight.
- The Laughing Bat: Joker mocked the Caped Crusader as he now dressed up as Batman and started punishing "criminals" who committed minor crimes. He attack various people with Joker Venom including a small-time criminal for a one time offense, an old lady for having her red light on while driving, a man for littering and the Mayor's wife for buying too much. He then attempted to attack two young girls for "graffiti" but was stopped. Joker later injected Batman with another version of Joker Venom which will give him 24 hours to live until he dies laughing. But Batman was cured and Joker was turned back to his old way after his defeat.
- Meltdown: Joker began his robberies and stole many valuables until encountering Ethan Bennett. Joker stole his jacket and sadistically tried to kill him by throwing him off a building. Joker then completely made Bennett go insane and turn to a life of crime. Joker even manages to avoid getting arrested in this episode.
- JTV: Joker pirated the airwaves for everyone to watch his show JTV where he would attempt to make them die laughing. Joker captured the Mayor and Cash Tankinson who he planned to kill for later as well as robbing the bank with many Officers left gassed with Joker Venom. He then attempted to kill his hostages and spread Joker Venom all over the city to cause everyone’s in Gotham to die laughing. Batman managed to stop the gas, save the hostages and arrest Joker.
- Strange Minds: Joker kidnapped Detective Ellen Yin and trapped her in a Jack N' The Box which is set to explode and kill her in 8 hours. When Batman and Hugo Strange go inside his mind. Joker tried to completely drive them insane. They managed to locate and save Ellen.
- Night and The City: Joker planed on spreading white on Gotham however Penguin and Riddler got in the way. The three decided whoever would defeat Batman would rule gotham. In the end Batman beats all three Villains and gives them to the Police.
- Brawn: Joker stole Banes Venom and used it to go on rampage. Batman was beaten and going to die until Batgirl used her small size to remove the venom from Joker.
- The Laughing Cats: Joker kidnaped Catwoman and gave two cats he stole to Kilgore who allowed Joker to have two hyenas in return. Joker betrays Kilgore and paralyzes him with his Joker gas. He used his maze in an attempt to kill Batman, Batgirl and Catwoman but fails and gets knocked out by Batman instead.
- The appreantance Joker minupulates a school boy to join him as his sidekick and cause mayhem. Donny agress and togtheir they try to gumball the city. Batman stopped them and then Joker took Donny to his hideout to make him insane like he was. Thankfully he was saved by Batman and Batgirl.
- Clayfaces Joker puts Joker venom in dog food wanted all dogs to die laughing. After punch and Judy are revled to be Clayface aka Ethan benit he caputres joker in clay. Leading the clown to get arrsted.
- Two of a Kind Joker trys to steal art from the musem but is stopped by the Batfamily. Later he manipulates Harlen Quinzel to be his partner in crime. Joker escapes after they fail to bomb her former studio.
- This version of the Joker, next to Jack Nicholson's portrayal, is the only one who refers to himself as "Joker" instead of "The Joker".
- This version of Joker is much nicer to Harley Quinn than his DCAU counterpart and shows her more genuine though obviously still twisted affection like buying her a diamond and chossing to indulge on her simply because he could as opossed to manipulating her to get out of Arkham. He also never physically hits or abuses her and though he does leave her behind in a fire (that Harley started herself) it’s done more out of indifference rather than malice and he later sends her a love message.
- This Joker has a more sympathetic past than most being a nice guy who wanted to make people laugh before his chemical bath (though it's unknown if he was robbing the chemical plant or not). His original self serves as the good side of his brain as it attempts to help Batman find Yin.
- When the character of Gotham's Mayor Grange warned Joker he would not get away with his latest scheme in one episode, he had some experience saying that, as he was played by TV's original Batman, Adam West, who in his time had faced down another Joker.
- Joker's use of Venom to become a Bane-like powerhouse in this series pre-dated the Arkhamverse Joker doing something similar by 5 or so years.
- Despite never being acknowledged onscreen, it's possible that Joker committed the same crimes his original counterpart did during the popular 1988 one-shot Batman: The Killing Joke at some point before 2027. This is because Barbara Gordon is depicted as wheelbound in the episode "Artifacts". As Joker's origin resembles that of his The Killing Joke counterpart, this could be the case.
- This version of Joker shares a resemblance with his version interpreted by the late Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight: both having kidnapped a law official (Ethan Bennett in The Batman, Harvey Dent in The Dark Knight) corrupts them into two criminals.